Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joshmo
Aug 22, 2007

ServoMST3K posted:

Someone recommended Odessey and Oracle to me a few years back, and I was about to go buy it until I realized The Zombies was the same band I had heard for years as a kid (most notably Time of the Season) on the radio. I never liked that track for various reasons, mainly because it reminded me of a middling Bobby Darin song (I know this is a dumb opinion, I just can't help associating that song with Darin). Can anyone help me change my frame of mind so I can appreciate Odessey and Oracle on my first listen? I feel like I'm missing out on a great album.

Time of the Season is not surprisingly the last track on the album, and sounds nothing like everything else on the album. It almost seems like it was thrown there because it was a single-esque song and the band just did it cause they were told to. (I have no idea if that's true, it's just what it's always seemed like to me.)

I actually got 6-7 to really dig this album almost immediately at a party in college just by playing Care of Cell 44 (the first track on the album). I'm not sure if them all being a bit tipsy had something to do with it, but those most appreciative of exploring music almost seemed saddened they hadn't listened to it before.

Heck, if anything get Rod Argent's album Ring of Hands - his band was just called "Argent", but he was in the Zombie and seems to be the only guy from the group to really make any kind of mark after Odessey and Oracle. It's a bit similar to Odessey, very light and airy, but with a more muscular early 70s sound, and so if you're skeptical of Odessey, jump into that first, if you like it, then you'll know you're missing untolds more joy in Odessey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU