Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
What's some really good, relaxing hip-hop? Slower stuff with awesome beats.

Like Jay Electronica, Madvillain, some of J Dilla's stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Dick Danger posted:

Entry level Hip Hop connoisseur signing in. I've been listening to nothing but hip hop for months now, but have very little in my library beyond Das Racist, Outkast, Deltron 3030 and a little Public Enemy.
What now?

Every Hip-Hop beginner needs Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers) by Wu-Tang Clan. If you like that, check out Liquid Swords by GZA/The Genius

You may also enjoy Madvillainy by Madvillain if you're looking for something more modern and relaxing.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
This is kind of a weird request, but here goes anyway. I don't really like most Bob Dylan, from what I've heard, but I really like some of his 70s, less folk-ier stuff I've listened to. The more electric stuff, where he doesn't use his nasally voice, things like "The Man in Me" off New Morning or some of the songs off Planet Waves.

What's some more songs like these, by Dylan or anyone else? Preferably more stuff by Dylan that sounds like this, because I really dig his voice on these tracks.

EDIT: If it's not clear from my post, I've already got both New Morning and Planet Waves

Blast Fantasto fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Oct 28, 2010

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

internet inc posted:

My mom likes the following (in no particular order): Explosions in the Sky, Snow Patrol, Lacuna Coil, City and Color, Arcade Fire, Trans Siberian Orchestra, Jason Mraz, The Beatles, The Fray, Coldplay, Muse, Mobile, Ratatat, Celine Dion, The Killers, Getz & Gilberto-style jazz, Deathcab for Cutie, and more.

It doesn't make any sense, but the way I see it, it can be accoustic/simple rock with good/catchy vocals or post-rock/ambient, but I don't know music well enough to put my finger on it.

You can pretty much pick of any of the aforementioned bands and expand on that, or somehow find bands that resemble the mix. Keep it mind those are for my mom, so it can't be too goony, ie. I like 65daysofstatic myself, but I think that would be pushing it. Most of the music she likes is easy to listen too and has nothing too extravagant in it.

(It's for Christmas gift ideas! :ssh:)

The Walkmen's album Lisbon from earlier this year is awesome, easy to listen to music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F0IjVvmnfY

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
What are really good '60s / '70s jazz albums?

I've taken to listening to Madlib's Shades of Blue while working recently, and I want to listen to jazz like the kind he samples / makes. (I have all of Madlib's jazz albums).

Bear in mind I have very little jazz, so the big names are still on the table, Coltrane, Davis, Powell. All stuff I want to get in to, just looking for good starting points.

Edit: More modern, Madlib-esque turntable jazz is good too.

Blast Fantasto fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Feb 10, 2011

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Hedrigall posted:

Music i loving love lately includes Midlake's latest album The Courage of Others, Yeasayer, Little Dragon, The Suburbs by Arcade Fire, all of Faunts' stuff, and the new Cut Copy album Zonoscope.

I'm on a new band bender at the moment, so does anyone have any good recommendations from the above? I'm trying to think of common elements that may be helpful. They all seem to have a sort of retro vibe about them, but they range from very organic/acoustic stuff that Midlake does to electronic stuff like Faunts and Cut Copy. They also are pretty much very harmonic and warm sounds. Ugh, I dunno how describe music. But all of the above has been very pleasing for me.

I totally recommended this to someone else in the thread, but here goes anyway:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F0IjVvmnfY

I'd recommend you pick up The Walkmen's album Lisbon. I would describe it as harmonic, warm and retro. If you like those aspects of Arcade Fire, you will probably dig this album.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

DrankSinatra posted:

I like the late sixties, and early-mid 70's Motown/Stax singles that tend to get a lot of radio play, and I'd like to go deeper in that era, but I don't really know where to look/what to start with, album and artist-wise. Any suggestions?

If you can track it down, The Complete Stax-Volt Singles 1959 - 1968 is amazing.

http://www.amazon.com/Stax-Volt-Complete-Singles-Various-Artists/dp/B000002IQU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1315796153&sr=8-2

It's $75, but it has pretty much every Stax song you'll need. It was recommended to me earlier in the thread, and I don't regret it one bit.

EDIT:

If you want to start with just one artist though (and don't want to blow $75) here's a few great albums by Stax-Volt artists:

Otis Redding - Otis Blue / Otis Sings Soul
Otis & Carla - King and Queen
Booker T. and the MGs - McLemore Avenue / Green Onions
Sam & Dave - Soul Men

If you only want to get one or two discs, I'd go with Otis Blue and Green Onions.

Blast Fantasto fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Sep 12, 2011

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I'm a huge Prince fan. I love funky, sexy-rear end pop music. What's some more music like that? Another good example would be Justin Timberlake's second album; stuff that's usually got a lot of synth and funky beats.

I have pretty much everything by Prince and his affiliates.

EDIT:

That seemed kind of vague so here's some examples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KYPkmGpooI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISZacjyerqc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3NdNXcYdhU

Blast Fantasto fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Oct 30, 2011

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

FactsAreUseless posted:

I love Devo's "Are We Not Men," where should I go next?

Huge Devo fan here. Honestly, the best place to go is straight forward to Duty Now for the Future. That's their best album, in my opinion, and the perfect union between Devo weirdness and straight-out kickass tunes.

Then I'd just keep going forward, really. Freedom of Choice and New Traditionalists are both awesome, but for totally different reasons than Are We Not Men and Duty Now. Each album after Are We Not Men gets progressively synth-ier. Those first four albums rank among my favorites for any band but pretty much everything after that is garbage with a few diamond songs in the rough. There were some great tracks on their most recent album, Something for Everybody, but nothing close to those first four amazing albums.

People rag on New Traditionalists but Going Under is the song that made me fall in love with the band, and I geeked the gently caress out when I saw them last year and they played it.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I've been hitting up Spotify for glam rock all day, particularly the spacey-er stuff.

I'm already down with T-Rex, Bowie, Roxy Music and Eno's solo albums.

Anything else good out there in the genre?

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Can anyone recommended me African music? Specifically Afrobeat, African Jazz, African Funk, African Rock.

I'm really digging Fela Kuti but I have no clue where to go from here.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Does anyone have some good garage punk or modern lo-fi garage rock recommendations?

Just looking for lo-fi, rough around the edges kind of stuff. For examples, this is who is on my current playlist:

- Black Lips
- Nobunny
- Jay Reatard
- Ty Segall
- Younger Lovers

Just looking to supplement the playlist with additional artists. Thanks!

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Henchman of Santa posted:

Japandroids
Cloud Nothings
Iceage
The Men
The Dirtbombs

Can't believe I haven't heard of The Dirtbombs until right now. They're like right up my alley.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I'm looking for recommendations for old-time music or Americana.

Basically bluegrass / traditional folk music / very early country. Whether it's modern or traditional, I don't care so long as it's on spotify.

This is an example of the kind of stuff I'm talking about. I checked out the CD randomly from the library because I liked the cover art and I'm really digging it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waXUxhDCg3U

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

funkybottoms posted:

the Smithsonian Folkways Anthology or anything from their Classic series will give you a nice variety/bunch of starting points. my particular favorites- not that they're necessarily on these collections- are Flatt and Scruggs, Bill Monroe, Doc Watson, the Carter Family, and Ralph Stanley. also, Almeda Riddle (my great-great aunt!) is pretty awesome if you want some unaccompanied, shaped-note traditional ballads.

Thank you so much, these are some great jumping off points. Smithsonian Folkways is great, I've listened to their Woody Guthrie collections but not much else so there's a ton of content right there.

Listening to Bill Monroe now :)

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
What are some good Dancehall Reggae albums? I'm well familiar with Roots reggae, but I'd really like to get more in to the dancehall stuff.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Ras Het posted:

King Jammy's Selector's Choice Vols 1 - 4
Firehouse Revolution: King Tubby's Productions in the Digital Era 1985-89
Henry "Junjo" Lawes - Volcano Eruption
George Phang - Power House Selector's Choice, Vols 1 - ?
Winston Riley - Quintessential Techniques
The Biggest Dancehall Anthems 1979-82: The Birth of Dancehall
Rough Inna Town: The Xterminator Sound
Under Mi Sleng Teng: The Dawning of Digital Reggae
Dancehall: The Rise of Jamaican Dancehall Culture

Thank you so much! I'll listen to all of these over the next few days.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
What's some good horror-themed music? Ghoulish Halloween stuff. The campier the better, basically.

See:

- Misfits
- The Cramps
- Alice Cooper
- Gravediggaz
- Mercyful Fate, I guess

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I'm looking for two completely different things:

- Who are some lesser known / more obscure vocal jazz / swing-pop singers? I already know Sinatra, Martin, Nat King Cole, Bobby Darin, etc. I'm looking for some singers that may have slipped through the cracks or been lost to time.

- Anyone have good recommendations for classic bluegrass? Other than Bill Monroe. There's probably some stuff on Folkways but I don't know where to start.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
What are some other good bands/artists like Public Image Ltd? Early post-punk I guess.

Edit: Oh and the more nihilistic the better. And I already love Joy Division, forgot to mention that.

Blast Fantasto fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Aug 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Kendrick Lamarr's Good Kid, M.a.a.d City is stuffed with Christian imagery and themes. As is most of his work.