Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy

ArgaWarga posted:

I'm looking for alt-country. I'm currently in love with Blitzen Trapper–I started loving them because they sounded like Pavement on Wild Mountain Nation, but I'll be damned if they didn't win me over with some of their more country-ish songs.

Examples:
Wild Mountain Nation on You Tube.
Their first Daytrotter Session. I particularly like Jericho.
Another Daytrotter session. I'm looking for stuff no more twangy than Stolen Shoes.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations. And if anyone likes Fleet Foxes and hasn't checked out Blitzen Trapper yet, get off your rear end and listen to the Daytrotter stuff.

Have you checked out My Morning Jacket? Their early albums have a very alt-country sound similar to Fleet Foxes, and gradually get more complex as you move through their discography. If you're going for albums I'd reccomend It Still Moves.

And a few random tracks:
One Big Holiday
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0Q9iAcPjzc

Golden
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zz8qn1_iQ5w

Dancefloors (live, skip to :50)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMq7bNRdvhE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy
Can anyone tell me where to start with Nick Cave?

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy

MooglyGuy posted:

I am currently looking for any songs that are upbeat or "happy"-sounding, and would fit well for a photo / video montage. Two songs that I can think of immediately offhand that at least somewhat fit the bill are:

Young Rascals - Good Loving
BoDeans - Closer To Free

Some more specific criteria that might narrow things down is that I would really prefer that the song have a point at which all of the music and vocals stop, then pick up again after a brief pause. Good Loving fits that bill, but Closer To Free, unfortunately, does not.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate it.

I believe "Come up and see me" by Cockney Rebel is exactly what you're looking for. Its famous enough that people will recognize it when they hear it as well :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBw4YuBylvs

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy
^^ tried LCD Soundsystem?

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy

Final Fantasy Baseball posted:

What is your favorite fun or summery-sounding reggae album? I'm looking for that, and if your first thought has to do with Bob Marley or 311 please don't recommend me anything.

I'm not sure if this is right up your alley but recently I've really been enjoying Easy Star's Lonely Hearts Dub Band by Easy Star All-Stars. Pretty self-explanatory, its just the whole of Sgt.Pepper re-done in a really smooth dub reggae style with guest-appearances from a heap of reggae artists. Kinda gimmicky I know, but a really fun and easy listen on the whole

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy

Dandy Cat posted:

I have found very recently that I really really enjoy blues style music. I know it's bad to get musical tastes from Guitar Hero, but I really enjoy Stevie Ray Vaughan. Pride and joy is my favorite so far. I'm looking for more music that sounds like this. I guess it's blues, if it's not feel free to correct me and ram it down my throat etc.

All I'm really looking for is more music that sounds like this!

Thanks in advance.

Urgh, tried listening to Eric Clapton? Sounds like an obvious choice, but his work with Cream and Derek & The Dominos is fairly similar to SRV.

E: White Room came on as soon as I'd finished typing this. Neat

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy

RollingBoBo posted:

Something similar to the arctic monkeys?

I'd recommend The Libertines if you haven't already checked them out. they were a big influence on the Arctic Monkeys musically. The lyrics are a bit more wistful and poetic, but still capture that sense of British working class life, albeit with a slightly darker edge.
Also definatly check out Pulp if you haven't already, as Jarvis Cocker is the definitive smouldering Englishman. He's from the same town as the Arctic Monkeys too, so the accents are the same.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy

Oz Fox posted:

I've been on a bit of a britpop kick recently, specifically the early Blur/Oasis albums. What have ya got?

I'll keep it short and sweet: Suede, Kula Shaker and of course, Pulp.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy

Funyon posted:

Earlier in the thread someone recommended Regina Spektor to another poster and I fell in love with her music. Could anyone recommend something similar? Nice piano with a beautiful voice.

The most obvious answer to this, assuming you haven't already checked her out, would be Tori Amos, who has a similar style of personal, intimate piano based music. For something a bit different I'd reccomend PJ Harvey, who starts out has a similar songwriting style but a harder, more abrasive edge to her music.

Wackle posted:

This definitely doesn't deserve its own thread so i'll put it here...

Where are some good "radio" style websites? I'm looking to expose myself to more music and at the same time avoid posting poo poo like "I like this band, which band is like this band that i would probably like too?"

.... it needs to be free.

Tried Last.FM?

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy
Well if you like highway 61 you should definatly pick up the other two of his 'holy trinity' of 60's albums, Blonde on Blonde and Bringing it all back home. For folkier stuff grab The Times are a Changin', by far the best of his early work. They're really all the canon albums he has, as his later output is very hit-and-miss, but Desire and Blood on the Tracks are still great albums if you're after a different kind of sound.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy

Way Past Cool! posted:

That's a pretty broad list of bands, so rather than naming individual bands I'd suggest browsing allmusic's college rock, American underground, and post-punk tags.

Come on dude, it was all lined up for you to rec some Dino.Jr there and you missed your chance

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy

KingShibby posted:

I'm sure someone's asked this before, but what's some good music to set the mood/get laid to?

I really wanna set the mood for my fiance tonight

Just download a ton of old 60's and 70's Soul Music. It's tailor-made for getting laid.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy

slow_twitch posted:

This may be a vague request but can anyone recommend any good 'echoey' bands? I guess the best examples would be interpol or the horrors..

The closest contempory band I can think of that fits your description would be The Editors, who have a mix of post-punk and math-rock thats pretty similar sounding to Interpol. Really though you aught to be looking at the 80's Goth bands for that kind of sound as thats who most of these bands are cribbing from. Joy Division, The Cure, Siousxie and the Banshees and Echo & The Bunnymen would be the main offenders.

Also, obligatory youtube for the editors:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xRVm-JX5Rk

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy
Ive been really into Boris for a while now and looking to branch out, what other Japanese Noise-artists should I look at?

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy

shieldforyoureyes posted:

Do you like when Boris drone, or when they rock?

Probobly leaning towards the rock. Whilst the droney stuff is alright to zone out to, I don't really like whole albums devoted to it. So no Merzbow.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy

Popcorn posted:

At the moment I'm quite into flowery, girly, romantic 70s songs, like the Carpenters' "Close to You", Maria Maldaur's "Midnight at the Oasis", and (a bit more obscure) Linda Perhacs' "If You Were My Man". What should I be listening to?

Just raid the CD's from your Mom's car

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy
I've recently rediscovered Death from Above 1979 and fallen in love with their sound again. Are there are any bands similar to them, with a huge distorted bass up front?

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy

PUSSY BARON posted:

I need help getting into soul. What are the most important albums or are there any good compilations?

Honestly, just take the plunge and grab the first bargain bin compilation CD you can find. 60's and 70's soul has always been a singles-based genre, and the music appears to be ridiculously easy to license so you can find most of the Grade-A artists like The Supremes and James Brown on even the lowliest supermarket collection. After that just pick out your favorites from each one, and away you go.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy

OrganicRobot posted:

I'm looking for some really good guitar albums because I've recently got into King Crimson's Lark's Tongue in Aspic and Red. I love the guitar on both of those albums, but mostly in the split title track of Lark and the first song of Red. I'm not real interested in the cliche guitar-rock of Led Zeppelin and company, as I am in the lesser-known and less common stuff like Television's Marquee Moon. Any help would be appreciated.

Like Way Past Cool said, sounds like Sonic Youth would be right up your alley as they use lots of unconventional and unique guitar techniques. The most common starting point for them is Daydream Nation or Goo, which are both classic albums.
Actually, you'd probobly get a kick out of the Shoegaze genre in general, though honestly I don't have a wide enough knowledge of it to be giving out reccomendations.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy

thehandtruck posted:

Which Clash albums contain the most reggae/semi-funky stuff? Like Rock the Casbah and specifically Bankrobber.

Well they don't really have a 'reggae album', their funky stuff is dotted all throughout their catalogue here and there. Just go for London Calling, it has 'Guns of Brixton' and 'Wrong em Boyo', and it's a generally fantastic album to boot.

e: I'm pretty sure Joe Strummers solo stuff had a heavier focus on reggae/ska, though I haven't listened to much of it myself so don't quote me on that.

pablo gbscobar fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Jan 3, 2010

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy

Fonzarelli posted:

I'm looking for some guitar heavy funk. I'd really like to start learning funk guitar, so I'm specifically looking for stuff with lots of awesome guitar chords, where the guitar is pretty audible and slick sounding. I already listen to a bit of funk, but the guitar is mostly just a few scratchy chords which is pretty easy to learn, and doesn't give me much to work with. Anybody got any suggestions for funk bands with some killer riffs?

I'm guessing this goes without saying but you have listened to Maggot Brain by Funkadelic yes?

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy
I've been getting into 80's hardcore a lot recently, what are some good contemporary hardcore acts? I only really know Gallows (urgh) and hosed Up from the past 5 years.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy

Muy Picante rear end posted:

Brutal Knights (toronto based comedy-hardcore)
Career Suicide (also from toronto, 80s style hxc)
DSB (crazy japanese hardcore)

baberaham lincoln posted:

about 3ish years ago there was a huge explosion of 80's revivalist bands. Try:
Government Warning
School Jerks
Life Trap
Cloak/Dagger
Social Circkle
Double Negative
Chronic Seizure

As for just good hardcore bands, seconding Muy Picante and adding:
Vicious Cycle (bouncy, jangle-y hardcore sounds vaguely like Hidden World era hosed Up)
Regulations (sounds a lot like Brutal Knights imho)
Sinking Ships (super melodic hardcore)
Ceremony (there are some haters, but Violence Violence rules imho)
Failures (noisy super fast hardcore, almost on the verge of black metal and grind)
SQRM (Flipper had sex with Black Flag and pooped out the angriest child I've ever heard)

Tell me what you like and I can give you some more recs. BTW, I think Sinking Ships is the only band on this list not playing shows anymore.

These are both great, exactly what I'm looking for. Been slogging through that list all afternoon, favorites so far are probably Government Warning, Career Suicide and Sinking Ships. Got anything a bit...sludgier? I've been on a Bad Brains kick, so more heavy stuff like that would be awesome.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy

baberaham lincoln posted:

For one reason or another, Brain Killer's demo sounds to me like a bit of Bad Brains worship. Honestly, it's pretty hard to find modern bands who sound a lot like Bad Brains (I'm thinking ROIR Sessions here). That's kind of what makes BB's so special. I'm sure someone else will be able to answer this question better than me, but I've got nothing at the moment.

EDIT:
Confine's demo was one of my favorite releases of 2009, it reminds me of a more raw/sludgy Career Suicide. Also, it's a free DL from the band! http://www.side-two.com/downloads.html

Eh, no biggie, there's already plenty of material there to keep me busy for a while. And that Confine demo is probably the best so far so yeah, Thanks!

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy

Hypnolobster posted:

Alright, Television, Minutemen and Doctors of Madness. What other really early punk/underground rock (I think that's what Television is. Genre's confuse me) should I look for? Those three off the top of my head all seem to have incredible songwriting and great technical proficiency.

Bonus points if I can find it easily online and also in vinyl.

If you like Television then check out the other CBGB bands that were around at the same time, as many of them bridged the gap between trad rock and punk and as such retained a lot more technical skill and songwriting craft than their louder, rougher offspring. The most notable ones would be Richard Hell & The Voidoids, The Patti Smith Group, early Talking Heads and The New York Dolls.
After that if you want louder, thrashier music more in the vein of the Minutemen then check out the whole UK punk scene. Most of them aren't as good at playing their instruments but still manage to crank out masterpieces. Specifically, go for The Buzzcocks 'Singles Going Steady', The Damned's debut 'Damned Damned Damned' and basically anything by The Jam.

I don't know how familiar you are with punk so I've kept that fairly entry level, but let me know you get on with those bands and I can point you to more similar stuff :shobon:

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

I've been listening to the first four Ramones albums a lot again.

1. Besides the first four and live albums, what are some other good Ramone studio albums?

2. I want some more old school/70s/"proto" punk. No Ramones or The Stooges please.

Try Richard Hell & The Voidoids, best known for the song Blank Generation. Sounds like a rougher Television mixed with The Stooges.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HMXuL0SShA

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy
What's some good Riot Grrrl aside from the obvious big names (Bikini Kill, Le Tigre, L7, Sleater-Kinney etc)?

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy

Skilleddk posted:

I'm looking for stuff similar to Crystal Castles. My favorite songs from them are:

Alice Practice
Love and Caring
Baptism
Celestica
Suffocation

Sleigh Bells have been making a lot of noise recently and they have a similar aesthetic, check them out?

Couple Tracks:
Infinity Guitars
Tell 'Em

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy

Terrorist Kerchief posted:

I really like Masters of War and Hurricane.

In that case I'd say listen to "Eve of Destruction" by Barry Mcguire, a protest song on par with the very best of Dylans folk/protest work. For stuff that sounds like Hurricane you should check out the whole Folk Rock scene in the 70's- Artists like The Band (Dylans own backing band), Fairport Convention, Neil Young (Harvest is a good starting point), Cat Stevens and The Travelling Wilburys.

pablo gbscobar fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jun 18, 2010

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Anyway, I'm looking for something kinda like Metric: synthesizers and loud electric guitar and girls yelling type pop music.

Le Tigre and Be Your Own PET would both be right up your alley :)

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy

_Leviathan_ posted:

I'm looking for some funk recommendations. I'm a big fan of:

Kool and The Gang
Tower Of Power
Sly and the Family Stone
James Brown
Galactic
Parliament
The Meters

I'm looking for more of that kind of funk music. Thanks.

Betty Davis is my usual go-to funk recommendation. She was Miles Davis' ex-wife (and allegedly the inspiration behind 'Bitches Brew') and has some really heavy funky beats. I'm kinda surprised she's so overlooked tbh as she's easily on par with the other funk greats like the ones listed above.
Anyway enough rambling, here's a couple of links:

F.U.N.K
Dedicated To The Press
Anti-Love Song

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy

kuddles posted:

I've been obsessively listening to The Pipettes and the recent album by The Like and fell in love with the style. If anyone could recommend similar current artists, that would be great.

Dum Dum Girls, Vivian Girls, Surfer Blood, Girls and The Drums are all pretty recent bands that have a pretty clear 60's surf/pop influence, I'd check them out.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy
Can anyone recommend me some good Krautrock stuff? I've been digging Neu! and Kraftwerk recently but aside from those two I'm pretty much at a loss with where to go next.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy

blakout posted:

I'm looking for good catchy old style rock. I mean bands like Them Crooked Vultures, Gaslight Anthem, Sprinsteen and new Against Me!

Try Titus Andronicus, specifically their most recent album, 'The Monitor'.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy
I've been listening to Soul on the Grill by Paul Nice quite a bit recently, can anyone recommend me any similar funk/soul compilations?

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy

JehovahsWetness posted:

Assuming you've heard "Breaks For Days"? Definitely beat centered compared to the tracklist of Soul on the Grill, but absolutely classic and was my headphone jam for years.

The entire SS mix list: http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/mixes/popular/
Loads of streaming funk/soul/break/etc mixes going way back in SS history.

Phil Most Chill / Soulman : http://www.thatrealschitt.com/

Soul/funk mixes is just crazy wide Supreme, Kon/Amir, Dusty Fingers, BBE comps, etc.

Thanks a lot for this, that mix site should keep me busy for quite a while. And Breaks For Days is pretty much exactly what I'm looking for, good job.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy

vjee32 posted:

Oh yes, there's a recommendation thread.

For the past few days I've been trying to find some calm background music while painting or just chilling around.

Some of my last.fm top artists are Pink floyd, tool, dog fashion disco, kyuss, a perfect circle, cranberries, nick cave.

All I seem to find is chillout lounge beach mixes and everything that smells of trance or that sort is a no no.

But I'm open to everything else.

Trent Reznor/Nine Inch Nails' instrumental work- The Social Network soundtrack and Ghosts I-IV are a good mix of heavy industrial noise and ambient chill-out stuff. Seems like it'd be right up your street.

e: Actually, after reading the thread, the Dangermouse Rome album that got mentioned a few posts up also has a similar-ish kind of vibe, I'd look into that too.

pablo gbscobar fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Nov 23, 2011

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Where is a good place to start with The Fall? They have so many drat albums I have no idea where to begin.

Live at the Witch Trials
Hex Enduction Hour
This Nations Saving Grace

IMO those are the three 'essential' Fall albums and are all pretty good starting points for the band. After that, just find whatever era/lineup works best for you and hunt down recordings from that timeframe. Alternatively, you could hunt down the compilation album "50,000 Fall Fans Can't Be Wrong", which is a 2CD retrospective on the bands career that hits most of the high points.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy

Bear Rape posted:

I'm looking for rock with female leads. I'm not sure how to describe the genre, but the bands I like include Dead Sara, Tsunami Bomb, and Sleigh Bells. Any idea what else I would like that is similar?
e: I checked out Pitchfork Media and I'm looking on Pandora now, but it's not exactly what I'm looking for...

Here's a few names off the top of my head: Wild Flag, The Distillers, Sleater-Kinney, EMA(never seen that video before, whoa), Bikini Kill, Dum Dum Girls, Babes In Toyland, Yeah Yeah Yeah's, X-Ray Spex, Be Your Own Pet

"Female-fronted rock" is a pretty wide ranging term, so I've tried to include a few different styles and sub-genres in the list. I'd also recommend looking up the label 'Kill Rock Stars' and the Riot Grrl scene for more female-heavy bands in a similar vein.
Hopefully there's something in there you like!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy
So my local record store has just picked up a fairly big chunk of Blaxploitation soundtracks. Aside from Shaft and Superfly, what gems should I be looking for? (or should I just pick the ones with the coolest-looking protagonists?)