Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Organic Robot
Dec 26, 2007

Fig 1.
"Blueboy sees a moth."
I'm going through a flamboyant dance music phase and I was wondering if their are any other bands like Of Montreal, Hercules and Love Affair, and a little Hot Chip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organic Robot
Dec 26, 2007

Fig 1.
"Blueboy sees a moth."

Peglegington posted:

Oh man thank you so much, this is great.

I suggested this in the last thread, but "Neon Golden" by Notwist is very similar to The Postal Service/Dntel.

Organic Robot
Dec 26, 2007

Fig 1.
"Blueboy sees a moth."

queenoffarts.edu posted:

Anyone recommend a band that might sound somewhat similar to Air France?

The Tough Alliance is very similar.

Organic Robot
Dec 26, 2007

Fig 1.
"Blueboy sees a moth."
I know this is going to be a hard request, but does anyone know of any band that sounds similar to Menomena? I haven't been able to stop listening to their 3 (really 2) albums.

Organic Robot
Dec 26, 2007

Fig 1.
"Blueboy sees a moth."

Magpie13 posted:

Hi All,

I'm going through Grandaddy withdrawal.

What other good 'acoustic guitar + synthesizer' bands are out there?

Concept albums are a plus!

This isn't exactly that, but The Books' "Thought For Food" combines acoustic instruments with electronics. And this is probably given, but the Flaming Lips is very similar also.

Organic Robot
Dec 26, 2007

Fig 1.
"Blueboy sees a moth."

CinnamonToastFunk posted:

I need new New Wave. I love the poo poo out of Talking Heads, early Gary Numan, B-52's, Santigold, Eurythmics, and Klaus loving Nomi (seriously I have listened to his self titled album at least 30 times in the past year), but I'd like some new artists along those lines (heavy reliance on synths, odd vocals).

I'm not sure if the vocals are odd, but XTC has some New Wave-ish albums ranging from Drums & Wires to Skylarking. And I'm pretty sure you've already heard Elvis Costello's early stuff which is a great New Wave/Punk hybrid. David Bowie also has a ton of proto-New Wave stuff like Scary Monsters and to an extent, Low, and Heroes. I hope those help even though they are pretty well known.

Organic Robot
Dec 26, 2007

Fig 1.
"Blueboy sees a moth."
Does anyone know any bands that use a lot a carnival music influences? I know it's a weird request, but for some reason I really like the sound.

Organic Robot
Dec 26, 2007

Fig 1.
"Blueboy sees a moth."

etard knievel posted:

Try The Decemberists (probably Castaways & Cutouts and Picaresque in particular), Gogol Bordello, Man Man and Sleepytime Gorilla Museum

Thanks, I'll check out Gogol Bordello since I'm familiar with the other three.

Organic Robot
Dec 26, 2007

Fig 1.
"Blueboy sees a moth."

Skilleddk posted:

I'm currently looking for some heavier shoegaze stuff. I heard Alcest's Souvenirs Du Autre Monde, and was instantly hooked. Looked up a bit myself and found Jesu, and currently digging their Silver EP (haven't had time to hear the rest of their works).

I also tried Isis, but didn't like them because of the vocals. So basically I'm looking for heavy shoegaze guitars, soft vocals and a good melody.

I'm not much of a shoegaze expert, but try M83's "Before the Dawn Heals Us", "Dead Cities, Red Seas & Lost Ghosts", and "Saturdays = Youth" to an extent. Galaxie 500's "On Fire" is good, but focuses more on slow music and soft vocals than guitars.

Also, does anyone know an album that sounds anything like "Skylarking" by XTC?

Organic Robot
Dec 26, 2007

Fig 1.
"Blueboy sees a moth."

Diamond Back posted:

I am taking a 5000 mile drive here in a few weeks and I need to get some good road trip music. Any advice? I am looking to expand my musical tastes anyways so recommend anything.

"Lonesome Crowded West" by Modest Mouse is a perfect road trip album.

Organic Robot
Dec 26, 2007

Fig 1.
"Blueboy sees a moth."
I'm looking for some really good guitar albums because I've recently got into King Crimson's Lark's Tongue in Aspic and Red. I love the guitar on both of those albums, but mostly in the split title track of Lark and the first song of Red. I'm not real interested in the cliche guitar-rock of Led Zeppelin and company, as I am in the lesser-known and less common stuff like Television's Marquee Moon. Any help would be appreciated.

Organic Robot
Dec 26, 2007

Fig 1.
"Blueboy sees a moth."
I'm looking for some good nautical/ocean themed albums to listen to. I don't really want any gimmicky stuff like Alestorm, but metal is fine.

Organic Robot
Dec 26, 2007

Fig 1.
"Blueboy sees a moth."

Elder posted:

Check out Alchemy Index Vol.II - Water by Thrice, it's by far my favorite ocean themed album.

il_cornuto posted:

Isis's Oceanic? Depends how you deal with (sparse) growly vocals but aside from the fact it has an ocean theme anyway, Weight and From Sinking in particular always make me think of the sea.

Alchemy Index is pretty good, but I'm not much of a fan of the style. And, il_cornuto, I have Oceanic already and it was that, in combination with Ween's The Mollusk, that made me ask for similarly-themed albums. Great album though.

Organic Robot
Dec 26, 2007

Fig 1.
"Blueboy sees a moth."
I'm looking for more aggressively psychedelic electronic music in the same vein as Caribou's (or Manitoba's) Up In Flames. I was listening to it with headphones the other day and holy poo poo was it trippy.

Organic Robot
Dec 26, 2007

Fig 1.
"Blueboy sees a moth."
I'm looking for any type of African/Latin/Middle Eastern music that is heavily displaced from Western Music. Basically, anything that would sound neat to someone who isn't familiar with it. It would help if the music gave a sense of immersion in the culture, if that makes any sense.

These are pretty well-known examples but: Fela Kuti, Buena Vista Social Club, etc

Organic Robot
Dec 26, 2007

Fig 1.
"Blueboy sees a moth."

Farts Domino posted:

I wouldn't call Fela heavily displaced from Western music given the James Brown influence, but there are numerous compilations on B-Music or Sublime Frequencies such as Shadow Music of Thailand and Sound of Wonder, perhaps Roots of Chicha on Barbes records too, that while influenced by Western music, still sound very unique but aren't as inaccessible as, say, Koto music.

Wow, thanks for the quick reply!
I knew that Fela and all that wasn't too displaced, but it's about as exotic as my music gets in terms of geography. Checking out the Thailand and Chicha now.

Organic Robot
Dec 26, 2007

Fig 1.
"Blueboy sees a moth."

Way Past Cool! posted:

It's great that you want to learn more about music outside of continental North America and Western Europe but you seem misguided. It's as if you're saying "hey internet, I want a grab bag of the most exotic musical souvenirs you have," which is a shallow, touristy way to approach it.

With something as wide as "non-Western music" I have really no way of asking other than in a touristy manner. I suppose it is similar to a foreigner asking for some "Western Music", which, in a sense, boils down an entire culture's music into one term, and I'm not meaning to do that. How would you suggest I narrow down what I'm looking for, and how can I not seem touristy about it?

Organic Robot
Dec 26, 2007

Fig 1.
"Blueboy sees a moth."

SMP posted:

I'm looking for more bands like LCD Soundsystem. I'm not really sure what to call their genre.

LCD Soundsystem is a pretty eclectic band, but most places seem to go with the dance-punk label. I think that (and I could be way off) !!! have some great, long, dance-but-not-quite-techno music with some pretty aggressive vocals which are similar with some of LCD Soundsystem's songs.

Organic Robot
Dec 26, 2007

Fig 1.
"Blueboy sees a moth."

noggut posted:

My own request:
I've got a real soft spot for cheerful songs with whistling, and have been listening to this song a lot lately. Anyone got something to recommend?

The ultimate whistling song (Peter Bjorn and John's "Young Folks"): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIRE6iw-ws4

Andrew Bird happens to whistle a good amount in most his songs, but I wouldn't really call it cheerful though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1Aha3JjELY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sl-fk5n0S5c

Organic Robot
Dec 26, 2007

Fig 1.
"Blueboy sees a moth."

Tree Goat posted:

The rest of that album was a let down tbh.

As to whistling, there's Andrew Bird of course:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1Aha3JjELY

And Peter Bjorn & John
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51V1VMkuyx0

Holy poo poo, are you in my head right now?

Organic Robot
Dec 26, 2007

Fig 1.
"Blueboy sees a moth."
I'm looking for music that's as energetic and confessional as Weezer's Pinkerton, thought I'm a little scared that it is the pinnacle of that kind of music and I'll have to settle for less. The Wren's Meadowlands is pretty loving close though. But yeah, music like that.

Organic Robot
Dec 26, 2007

Fig 1.
"Blueboy sees a moth."
I'm looking for bands with a guitar sound like Real Estate. Specifically like this.

Organic Robot
Dec 26, 2007

Fig 1.
"Blueboy sees a moth."
Does anyone know of any music like No Trend? I don't think I've heard music this angry in my life, specifically this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY79DYD2Y4o.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organic Robot
Dec 26, 2007

Fig 1.
"Blueboy sees a moth."
What are some bands that sound like either Matthew Dear or Andy Stott?