Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Magnetic North posted:

Thanks to Way Past and the Baron for these recommendations. Jazz is a huge ocean of precarious awesome, and I couldn't find out where it was safest to dive in. I really want to get into it.

Still, to further expand my music tastes, maybe someone could suggest other things. I'm no good at defining music, so all I can say is I want horn music (Jazz, Bebop, Swing, Ska, whatever), and I like up-tempo, though that's not mandatory. Also, twangy surfer music can be cool too (Pulp Fiction Soundtrack, or Honest Bob and the Factory To Dealer Incentives are all I know, sadly). Other than that, maybe a list of the artists in my playlist will express where I'm trying to go. It's ordered from most songs to least.

Big Bad Voodoo Daddy
Mighty Mighty Bosstones
Squirrel Nut Zippers
Modest Mouse (You can probably ignore this one; had no idea it was this high.)
Flogging Molly (Don't recommend Dropkick :argh:)
Madness
Steroid Maximus (J.G. Thirwell)
Reel Big Fish
The Specials
Sublime
Dirty Dozen Brass Band
Pulp Fiction Soundtrack
Blues Traveler
Cherry Poppin' Daddies
Cat Empire

I also have a few compilation albums of old music (Glenn Miller Orchestra sort of old), but I haven't picked my way through them to get what I want yet. Any old suggestions are also welcome.
Fishbone are a good ska band that might be something you would like. I can't think of anything else though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
How do you guys keep up with all the new and interesting stuff that's coming out literally every second?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Just wanted to share something with you guys something I've been loving lately. It's an 8 track album by a guy called Wil Wagner from Melbourne, it's just him and his guitar (except some percussion and I think a harmonica on a few tracks) and the results are great.

http://wilwagner.bandcamp.com/album/laika

If you listen to any track on there listen to laika, it's a song about the first dog sent into space and it's a bit of a tear jerker.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Looking for tracks similar to riva starr and fat boy slim's new 'eat, sleep, rave, repeat.'

http://soundcloud.com/fatboyslim/fa...-riva-starr-eat

Any ideas?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cerepol posted:

I have very few female vocalists in my current library and I feel that needs to expand.

Current Female Artists:
Jefferson Starship (with Grace Slick)
Sky Ferreria
Janelle Monae
CHVRCHES

Any suggestions?

I'd shy away from country as that tends to not be my thing but otherwise I'm pretty open.
Lana Del Ray
Ali Barter
Allison Weiss
The Aquadolls
Best Coast
Bikini Kill
Cayetana
Chumped
Clairy Browne & The Bangin' Rackettes
Courtney Barnett
The Courtneys
Cults
Ellie Goulding
Emiliana Torrini
Erica Freas
Be Your Own Pet
Grimes
Haim
Ida Maria
Jen Buxton
Kate Nash
Laura Marling
Lisa Mitchell
London Grammar
Lucy Wilson
Regina Spektor
Rilo Kiley
Sia
Slingshot Dakota
Soko
Stonefield
Tancred

I went through my iphone and posted most of the female vocalists on there.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Blast Fantasto posted:

Does anyone have some good garage punk or modern lo-fi garage rock recommendations?

Just looking for lo-fi, rough around the edges kind of stuff. For examples, this is who is on my current playlist:

- Black Lips
- Nobunny
- Jay Reatard
- Ty Segall
- Younger Lovers

Just looking to supplement the playlist with additional artists. Thanks!
Straight Arrows

http://straightarrows.bandcamp.com/album/never-enough-cant-stand-it

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Bands similar to Purity Ring and Chvrches? (female vocals + synths out the wazoo)

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks guys those all hit the spot nicely!

het posted:

Yeah, this, specifically the track Fall in Love (though the vocal styles are pretty distinctly different)
:drat: what a banger

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Looking for more bands/songs with this sound/vibe

https://therealsports.bandcamp.com/album/sunchokes

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Looking for more artists similar to Beach Bunny?

https://youtu.be/J7i6JDMguso

Thank u <3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

BigFactory posted:

I was thinking Saves the Day

I'll check em out

I am a fan