Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I'm looking for more old school sounding american/southern rock. Stuff like Gaslight Anthem and the up tempo songs by Clutch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Nuclear Spoon posted:

Hit me, a man with no real knowledge of it, with your finest albums of ska. I am deeply curious.

Reel Big Fish "The Best of us For the rest of us"

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I'm looking for good catchy old style rock. I mean bands like Them Crooked Vultures, Gaslight Anthem, Sprinsteen and new Against Me!

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Some other possibilites are Sage Francis I like Tech N9ne but your milage may vary on him.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

proton posted:

I can't stop listening to Alison Krauss and Calexico. I want more acoustic based stuff - solid songwriting and solid mastering. I LOVE the amazing soundstage on Krauss' albums. The banjos and mandolins sound unbelievable.

Middle Cyclone by Neko Case

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Kikka posted:

Hey there, I'm a dumb babby and I need help at getting into music.

I have never owned a full album or cd of music in my life. I would really love to have something to listen to; Problem is I have no idea what albums to get or what bands to listen to.

I like classical music, and music with a nice bassline or something. I think Barkley's "Crazy" is a pretty nice song, so maybe something more like that.

No this is not a troll, I am seriously helpless in my music tastes. Please help goons!

A good suggestion is probably Kanye West's My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. Really good bassline great hip hop music bass lines and some classical riffs.

LionYeti fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Feb 16, 2011

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

The Doo Do Chasers posted:

So I stopped keeping up with new rap releases when my internet died out in the summer of 09 and I totally realized its been so long that I don't know what I've missed and I don't know where to start. I think the newest releases I've heard were the last couple Rick Ross albums (which I liked a lot), UGK 4 Lyfe (it wasn't so good), and the Burrprint 2 (it was ok).

FWIW I don't like any based, college weed raps (Wiz Khalifa and poo poo) or Wolf Gang related stuff. I do on the other hand like Hypnotized/Triple 6 style stuff and what little Lex Luger I've heard. So what are a few good tapes/albums I missed out on?

I'm hoping you've heard the latest Kanye West album if not fix that at once, its the best rap album in many years.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

looking for bands similar to Mumford and Sons powerful vocals and a big sound.

LionYeti fucked around with this message at 04:09 on May 14, 2011

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

ZakAce posted:

Hi, I've got another request.

I'm interested in listening to heavy metal bands with female singers. I've listened to some Arch Enemy and Lacuna Coil, and I'm interested in bands with a similar sound to either of those two groups. I'm not interested in overly poppy or not very good stuff like Evanescence, Nightwish or Kittie, thanks.

Glass Delirium
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSy7YQ5GFbU

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I'm kinda stuck in a rut as far as my music goes. The main thing I want from my music is passion. So much of current Indie stuff seems kinda sterile to me (plus the usual male singing voice gets on my nerves EG Bon Iyer). My favorite bands are stuff like Gogol Bordello, Mumford and Sons, Gaslight Anthem , old Bruce Springsteen and The Who. Stuff thats big energetic passionate. I'm totally great with heavy stuff as long as theres lyrics and singing not growling. Sorry if I'm being too broad.

LionYeti fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Aug 30, 2011

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I like Buckcherry as well not high art by any means but its clear they're having a great time.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Organic Robot posted:

I'm looking for music that's as energetic and confessional as Weezer's Pinkerton, thought I'm a little scared that it is the pinnacle of that kind of music and I'll have to settle for less. The Wren's Meadowlands is pretty loving close though. But yeah, music like that.
If you're at all into hip hop Sage Francis does this sorta stuff all the time

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Karate Bastard posted:

I have just discovered Skrillex, and hoo boy... I want more! Problem is, people say he's dubstep, but I don't fancy much else people tend to stuff into that bag, and Spotify I feel isn't much help in finding more.

I think what I really like about his stuff is the contrasts between chugging pounding choppy brutality and easygoing melodious cheerfulness. And the rythms and syncopation of course. The non-simplicity. I'm mostly a metal fan, if that helps.

What can you guys recommend I stuff my ears full of?
Annother good artist in this category is Deadmau5 but he's kinda a douche as a person so take that for what you will about supporting the mans music.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

i meant as far as paying for Deadmau5's music not listening to it.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I'm looking for similar music to Mumford and Sons, not necessarily the bluegrass of them but the huge harmonies driving beats and big sounds. Anyone got some similar bands?

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I really got into Lupe Fiasco, I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for other smooth positive hip hop like The Show Goes On?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rmp6zIr5y4U&ob=av3e

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I really like Black Keys El Camino and The Hives any recommendations for that high energy fuzzy garage sound?

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I'm looking for something like F.U.N. specifically "some nights" big bombastic hard driving pop

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Daft Punk Alive theyre behind the torn legacy soundtrack it's awesome.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Chuck Bartowski posted:

It's my first post is this thread so if I'm doing something very wrong please let me know, but I've read the OP.

I'm a big fan of heavy accents in rock. Particularly Scottish , I love Biffy Clyro, Twin Atlantic and Sucioperro. I'm basically looking for more artists in a similar vain to satisfy my accent 'fetish'.

Also while I'm here I'd like to get into some electronic music but I've only really listed to Deadmau5 and LCD Soundsystem so where should I start?

Thanks

If you liked the big beats and bombast of deadmau5 then early prodigy might be up your alley check music for the jilted generation

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

acumen posted:

I'm looking for the sort of epic, twenty minute space rocky sort of stuff that makes you feel like you're travelling through galaxies and nebulae and visiting space stations and poo poo.

I can't really come up with anything other than some Pink Floyd and Muse tracks. Any help?
Maybe sound tribe sector 9?

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Miscellaneous_T posted:

I've always considered Daft Punk's Around The World to be required viewing. It's a pretty danceable song, too.
I love the crazy video for Jay Z "Onto the next one" http://youtube.com/watch?v=WM1RChZk1EU

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I'm looking for stuff like M83's Hurry Up we're Dreaming. Big exultant electronic pop. The kinda stuff that can just make you stop whatever you're doing and just listen for a moment.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

The Balm posted:

I'm looking for some real angry/frustrated music. Lately, Pissed Jeans has been fitting the bill, but I've gone through their whole output several times over and I'm looking for something similar. They definitely channel Black Flag and I'm very familiar with most 80s hardcore, punk, etc.

Other bands that kind of fit the attitude I'm looking for include Poison Idea, early Ceremony, early hosed Up, and some Nine Inch Nails songs like Last or Heresy. Harsh, yelling/yowling vocals like old Henry Rollins and the singer from Pissed Jeans are kind of where I'm heading here. Artists who are still making music is a plus, but not required.

Punk and metal generally fit the bill here, but I'm pretty open to other genres that just ooze apathy, anger, disgust, or general discomfort/dissatisfaction with life. Energy is somewhat important, and a good example of what's gotten me so into Pissed Jeans can be summed up in the following aggressively apathetic track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BstpFV98mRg

I would recommend Death Grips. Crazy energy yowling vocals still making a huge amount of music. Check out "the money store"

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Let me get this out of the way, I am a terrible person with bad musical taste in this regard. Can anyone recommend some big dumb EDM/Trap stuff? I know the heavy hitters Diplo, Aoiki, Skrillex, Flosstradamus. Any others worth listening to?

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I'm seconding DJ Shadow in the strongest possible terms. He is my favorite DJ ever and Entroducing might be in my top 10 favorite albums. "Midnight in a Perfect World" might be the best song for driving at night man has ever created.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I'm looking for stuff similar to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzZK4al4dvA
The freeflowing lyrics and sorta dancehall beat. Love Major Lazer and Diplo so not afraid to move into the more dance music area.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Pretty Lights seems to be right up your street. Funky Electronica heavy on bass vocals are minimal on most tracks, has the ability to be background music when you want it to be but you can go to a live show and catch all the musical detail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uN9xrkguKZU

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I would love some big spacey electro/dance music. I love Empire of the Sun and M83's "Hurry Up We're Dreaming" album especially the intro into the Midnight City. I love big and bombastic stuff and don't mind if it gets big beat/trappy.

LionYeti fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Feb 8, 2015

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Anything from Buddy Rich if you love the intense drum stuff for example
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9esWG6A6g-k

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Kendrick Lamars discography Section 80, Good Kid Maad City and To Pimp a Butterfly which is probably my album of the decade.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Is there a genre for this besides Hotline Miami music. It's like new waves dark cousin or something. Who else does it?
http://youtu.be/qFfybn_W8Ak

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I'm a turbonerd and just got a new AV setup. What are some well mastered/produced albums so I can feel good about the money I wasted.

LionYeti fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Feb 15, 2016

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Into dance electro and alt rock

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Odd Future Crew (Earl Sweatshirt et al) Black Hippy's (Schoolboy Q Kendrick Ab Soul and J Rock) Nas Common etc

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

If you're ending shift late at night DJ Shadow's Midnight in a Perfect World.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

blue squares posted:

I'm beginning to explore rap and having a great time, but there is a type I like the most: stuff like Kanye, meaning very produced, songs that are dynamic and surprise you. A song with a few beats that exist mostly to back the lyrics isn't as enjoyable to me.

So if I want rap with very dynamic and creative sound, where should I head?

Run The Jewels might be what you're looking for, EL-P is a great producer.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Garrand posted:

So lately I've been listening to....female fronted European pop/punk/synth or something? I dunno. I've been listening to Florence + the machine's Kiss with a fist, Icona Pop's I love it and La Roux bulletproof. I think a key part of it is the fairly rapid delivery of the lyrics for most of those songs. What else fits that super vague profile?

If you're up for something strange and more experimental FKA Twigs

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I'm looking for something the polar opposite of that Pogues and Tom Waites stuff. I'm looking for some Neo-Disco. Something like this, with big funky beats and a nice rolling groove.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCa95DOjn8E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

MrBling posted:

I realise that the general genre of what I'm asking for is basically "skate punk/pop punk" but I'm specifically looking for stuff that sounds like Teenage Bottlerocket and in particular the album "They Came from the Shadows". In a nutshell it is Ramones played by guys into metal so they added a bunch of riffs and leads that you don't tend to get in punk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3zIoeaWuTc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnuhJFrzvao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAAr3ulNTNo

You might also like PUP https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVuB1ZASrGw Even if you don't that video is one of the best.