Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
I've recently listened to Björk, and was instantly hooked. Looking for more similar stuff, even though I know she's a very unique artist. Last.fm search didn't give much, I mean, Portishead and PJ Harvey are not similar at all.

Favorite album by her is Post if that helps, and favorite songs are Hyper-Ballad and Enjoy

texting my ex fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 16, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

cods posted:

I"m looking for something like a female singer(or singers), maybe with a piano or something along those lines, that sings something really beautiful, melodic, and sad.

Loosest example I can give is Imogen Heap - Hide and seek.

Try Mandalay, it's basically all you described.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

Derised posted:

I've really been getting into instrumental tracks from the likes of Blockhead and DJ Shadow so if anyone had any suggestions for anything similar to those, that'd be pretty cool :)

As for DJ Shadow, try UNKLE's first album, Psyence Fiction, Shadow was a part of UNKLE back then, which one can clearly hear. Not the same type of music as his solo stuff, but I love it.

Also try DJ Krush, and as another poster suggested, RJD2.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

m0nkeysensei posted:

Anything out there like MSI?

Maybe I'll get bashed for this, but I find The Prodigy and Rammstein somehow similar to MSI

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

Pagan posted:

I'm looking for some good moody, creepy, sad music, either with or without vocals. Something that would be suitable for, say, exploring an abandoned haunted mansion, or that kind of thing. I know that's kinda vague, but I don't have much music like this to compare too.

One song that's close is "The Highwayman" by Loreena McKennit; it's got good vocals, and sends a chill down my spine during the last verse. I also think gregorian chants can sound very spooky, sometimes.

Not really like the song you gave us, but it fits as moody, creepy and sad, Humming by Portishead. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzm1DY3hJL8

If you like it, check out the rest of the album.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
I'm trying to get more into Shoegaze genre. Already heard My Bloody Valentine, M83 and Slowdive. Didn't really like MBV, M83 is good, but I already love Slowdive, what other bands are there like them?

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

Muffin Loaf posted:

What are some more bands like ratatat? I never really thought much of them until I saw them live recently; now I can't get enough of them.

I searched for similar bands for a long time now, I don't think there are any :(

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

Yeast posted:

I recently saw the 'Heaven' film clip for UNKLE.

I'd like to get into the artist, where's a good place to start?

Psyence Fiction is their best. It's their most "hip-hop" album, even though there's no real hip hop track on it. Good mix of heavy tracks (Guns Blazing) and calm nearly ballads (Bloodstain, Chaos).

If you liked Heaven you'll love Never, Never, Land. Not too different from Psyence Fiction, but they skipped blending hip hop in, so it's mostly an electronic album. My favorite tracks from it are What are you to me and Eye for an eye.

War Stories is okay, no real stand out tracks, and they moved onto making some electronic rock.

End Titles is terrible mostly, but has some great tracks, like Heaven and Nocturnal.

Also, my own request. I've recently heard Slowdive, who I really like, so I moved onto Mojave 3. Same people, but whole different sound. I really like some songs of theirs, such as In Love With a View and My Life in Art. Chill acoustic tracks with soft vocals, where should I go from here?

Also, I'm wondering, is Bat for Lashes anything like PJ Harvey?

texting my ex fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jun 21, 2009

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

aude omnia posted:

I'm looking for Polish-language music, and dark is good. D-Alternative is the best I've found so far. Any recommendations along similar sonic lines would be appreciated. :)

Pati Yang and her band FlyKKiller are pioneers of dark drip-hop in Poland, try that. They've got tracks both in english and polish.

texting my ex fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jun 28, 2009

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
I noticed that I like songs with soft backing vocals, such as Drinkin in L.A. by Bran Van 3000, or Blown a Wish by My Bloody Valentine (just two examples). Songs where background vocals are used more like an instrument. It sounds great, but I only know a few songs made this way, can anyone recommend anything?

Also, nobody answered me a page back, anything similar to PJ Harvey? I like all of her albums, favorites are probably To Bring You My Love and Is This Desire?

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

fruitpunch posted:

I'm tempted to recommend Lamb - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtIeH_J-SiI some of their songs might appeal to you more than others, but that song in particular is one of my favourites, ymmv :)

Gonna quote this, Lamb is a great band, though I found it hard to get into them. Every album has a different feel I think, there's a mix of drum and bass, chillout, trip hop and so on. If you don't like one album, try another. I'd say you should start chronologically, Lamb, Fear of Fours, What Sound and then Between Darkness and Wonder.

Still looking for a PJ Harvey recommendation. I like both the real raw early songs, and the softer ones later on. Favorite album is probably Is This Desire? if it helps.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

doctor iono posted:

I really love the Demon Days album from Gorillaz. Where should I go from here?

There's so many different types of songs on that album, better tell us which you enjoy most. Check out their release album too, they got some remix cd's too.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
I'm looking for some really raw and menacing electronic stuff, tracks like Stress by Justice, or Omen by The Prodigy. It's going to be mainly my playlist when I'm running.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
I'm currently looking for some heavier shoegaze stuff. I heard Alcest's Souvenirs Du Autre Monde, and was instantly hooked. Looked up a bit myself and found Jesu, and currently digging their Silver EP (haven't had time to hear the rest of their works).

I also tried Isis, but didn't like them because of the vocals. So basically I'm looking for heavy shoegaze guitars, soft vocals and a good melody.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
Well, I've heard all of the bands you guys mentioned. I really like Slowdive, Swervedriver, M83 and MBV, but listened through them to death. That's why I'm looking for more stuff, and Alcest's and Jesu stuff seemed great.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
Those are some great recommendations guys, it will take me a while to listen to it all. I've finished listening to Jesu discography, I really like the Conqueror album, but Jesu is steadily growing on me. "Friends are Evil" from that album sounds like a harsher "Sometimes" from MBV, which is what I've been looking for.

edit: Dalek seems interesting, definately going to try them. Also someone asked if I like post-rock, I haven't heard much of the genre but what I have didn't really catch my interest.

texting my ex fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 14, 2009

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

Timelord posted:

It's been a while since I've posted here, and my tastes have changed.
I'm looking for music with some fairly heavy guitar parts, but nothing fast or metal.
I've already explored the 60's, metal, some classic rock, and world music but don't know where to go from here.

Example songs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUDEZVP3wFw
I really like the guitar parts, singer, lyrics, and especially the subject matter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPDoump2ra8
Less of a guitar presence but once again, excellent subject matter/singer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cernW4E0STY
Great guitar presence

(disregard the video on this one)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFo0HgLMmm4
Not much of a guitar prescense, but an amazing song and band.

Are you familiar with the shoegaze genre? Not emphasis on singing, but it relies a lot on guitars (usually slower riffs). Here's a few tracks I think might fit in

Catherine Wheel - Crank
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfMVKRhksL0

Swervedriver - Duel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1o81ZBCSRc&feature=related

Adorable - Glorious
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULoJbwEixNA

As for my own request, I'm looking for some remixes of Lady GaGa tracks. I heard the Starsmith remix of Bad Romance yesterday, and I was so hooked on the disco sound of it. I also have no idea where to look for remixes, and all I found by myself were some crappy club remixes which I don't fancy.

texting my ex fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Jan 4, 2010

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

baberaham lincoln posted:

The Fleeting Joys released an album last year called 'Occult Radiance' that sounded pretty much like 'Loveless Pt. II'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGUhlhJOq5c <-- not from 'Occult' but the Fleeting Joys are really just trying to be MBV on every album. Not a bad thing, actually.

Man that is amazing, sounds just like MBV. Chickensandwich, you could try A Place to Bury Strangers, it was mentioned two pages back. In my opinion, they're one of the more interesting new shoegaze bands, although they mix it with really industrial, noisy rock.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
I'm looking for some real dark and heavy hip hop. I've heard Dälek's Absence and Abandoned Language, and it's exactly the kind of music I'm looking for.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
I recently heard (or actually, I'm listening to it now) the collaboration between Burial and Four Tet, namely the track Moth. It's absolutely amazing, like hearing a party next door through the walls. What's the genre called, and can anyone recommend some more?

I've heard both Burial and Four Tet solo albums, and while they're great in their own way, it's nothing like the collaboration.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
My mopey-dopey selection of Portishead, Massive Attack, Tricky etc is making me loving depressed. I need some light, fun electro-pop for once.

Stuff I like:

Lady GaGa
Little Boots
Roisin Murphy / Moloko

I'm also a sucker for piano ballads like GaGa's Speechless or Little Boots Hands, so those are welcome too!

edit: I don't really like La Roux and Kesha for some reason.

texting my ex fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Apr 13, 2010

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

JihadforChrist posted:

Looking for haunting otherworldly songs featuring female vocals with a meloncholic sound. Not super emo stuff but a song that can convey its misery not through lyrics necessarily but through sound.

Something like Martina Topley Bird at 1:55 in this video of "All Alone" by Gorillaz. (ignore the rest just the part startng at 1:55 and ending at 2:30)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoMaa-n-6l0

I'm not really looking for anything that sounds like Massive Attack however.

Woah, never knew that was Martina, thanks

You might want to try Florence + the Machine. Really powerful voice, I find it quite melancholic at times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpLXQorSQe8

edit: This song might be even better for you http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfBY96qxVRQ

texting my ex fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 20, 2010

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
I'm looking for stuff similar to Crystal Castles. My favorite songs from them are:

Alice Practice
Love and Caring
Baptism
Celestica
Suffocation

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

Rhgr posted:

You Love Her Coz She's Dead.

Aww, but I know them already :(

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
edit: wrong thread sorry

texting my ex fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jul 3, 2010

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
So a friend sent me a DJ mix by Danger, called Live @ Trashbags Sydney, and now I'm really interested in DJ mixes in general. I'd love to hear some more hour-long DJ sets by for example UNKLE or DJ Shadow (not limited to them), but I have absolutely no idea where to grab them.

Some more Danger sets would be good too, the Trashbags set has been my workout music for a month now.

Any help?

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
I've recently listened to Mojave 3, which sparked my interest in dream pop / shoegaze mixed with country. I really like their album Excuses for Travellers, similar stuff I like is Beach House, Mazzy Star and Wye Oak.

I never found folk rock interesting however, even though it has a lot of similarities. Can someone suggest anything?

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

The Duke of Avon posted:

Can anyone recommend some bands from New Zealand? I prefer indie rock/pop-ish type stuff, especially with female singers, and it'd be nice if the bands were still around. It's highly unlikely that I'll have heard of anything you suggest.

How about Ladyhawke? Pretty chill pop music with a nostalgic twist

Back of the van
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhPh6ou8Kbk

Magic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ccbj0A6NJI

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
I recently relistened to PJ Harvey's Rid of Me, and through it stumbled upon the band Queen Adreena, which I find quite similar. Basically, I'm looking for the filthiest and trashiest female-fronted hard rock. Any suggestions?

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

gargamale posted:

Two Ton Boa comes to mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=is7fZC9xv0E

Not exactly what I was looking for sorry. Not trashy enough, not filthy enough, and not hard rock at all :(

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
Okay, so apparently I just love some nice pop music with a good saxophone bit. I can't stop listening to these:

Lady Gaga - The Edge of Glory
M83 - Midnight City
Katy Perry - Last Friday Night

Please recommend some awesome saxophone-pop blends!

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

Hedrigall posted:

You are gonna loving cream your jeans for The Rain by Calvin Harris.

Aw yeah now that's what I'm talking about :smugdog:

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
Alright, ever since watching Hobo With a Shotgun I've been crazy about throwback 80's sci-fi music. For example how can you just not love this track:

Renegade - Treshold
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l4JFCy2Wk4

I'm looking for more music of this type , and I'll also gladly accept any links where to buy it because it seems to be tough to find anything. Other artists I've heard and like are Lazerhawk, Ghosthustler, Danger, Kavinsky and Power Glove

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

x!te bike posted:

Action Jackson
FutureCop
Miami Nights 1984
ActRazer
Flashworx
Com Truise
College
James Pants
Mitch Murder

I'd also follow this guy on youtube. He's made a lot of great 80s themed music videos.

Thanks a lot! Whole Rosso Corsa records label seems to be great for this kinda stuff

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
For some reason listening to Alcest reminded me of many Jesu albums that I haven't even touched. Today I got the Envy / Jesu split, and goddamn I love the Envy stuff. Is there any more to this screamo / shoegaze / post rock thing?

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

funkybottoms posted:

Deafheaven is the only current thing I can think of that fits, but there's probably a bit of mid-90s emo/post-hardcore stuff that you might like- Indian Summer, Shotmaker, Maximillian Colby, Rodan, and Unwound hit all of those marks, but not always at the same time. Definitely check out Mogwai, too, as Envy clearly, uh, envies them... (and is on their label, I think).

Thanks, Deafheaven is definately something I've been looking for!

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
What "genre" does Chelsea Wolfe fall into and are there any similar artist? Closest I could think of myself is PJ Harvey. I really want to find some more music like Apokalypsis or Pain is Beauty, help

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

Hooplah posted:

I'm not sure what genre to call her, but mostly I think people say goth-folk. I could also see her being lumped into the freak-folk movement (lil classic phiz humor for you guys)

Marriages is a lot like her though. If you like the her spooky ethereal tendencies, you might give Grouper a shot also. For more dark folksy bands check out some of the artists on Enemies List, like Giles Corey or Afterlives. Also check out Have A Nice Life on that label; even though that band isn't folk really at all, I still hear a good amount of overlap.

e: also True Widow is cool and worth a listen

Thanks! Grouper is definately up my alley! I don't see the connection with Marriages even though they seem like a great band too, so I'll check them out

And Snooman I've heard Memorial, it's goddamn beautiful. I saw Chelsea + RC live on their joint tour a month ago and got Chelsea to sign a vinyl :v:

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
I recently relistened Thursday, and old favorite of mine. Looked for a bit more similar music and found Orchid and Touche Amore. Any more similar? Short, heavy and not too melodic is what I'd say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
I'm absolutely in love with Baroness lately, everything they've done. Anything similar? I know of Mastodon and don't really like them :(

I just love the melodic parts intertwined with heavier, but still overall a happy feeling.