Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Got heavily into most of the obvious entry points for country music that's actually good, rather than millionaires pretending to be hillbillies while imitating the Eagles. I'm listening to a lot of classic country (Hank Williams, Johnny Cash, Townes Van Zandt), '60s/'70s country-rock (Neil Young, The Byrds, Flying Burrito Brothers, Dylan's excursions into the genre) and alt-country/Southern indie (Drive-By Truckers, Uncle Tupelo and its descendants, the early works of My Morning Jacket and Neko Case).

What's the next level, so to speak, the stuff that's less obvious? Where should I go from here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

FateoMcSkippy posted:

I'm really into the whole Irish/Scottish rock thing. Bands along the lines of Flogging Molly, The Pogues, Flatfoot 56, Black 47, The Real McKenzies, and Blood or Whiskey. Any other bands along this genre that I'm missing?

Dropkick Murphys?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

FateFree posted:

I was hoping someone could recommend me some bands for a specific kind of music. I'll do my best to break it down and describe it to you. I'm a big fan of songs with video game feels to them, specifically the use of the keyboard.

This is probably not the kind of song you had in mind but I've always thought Silver Jews, "The Moon is the Number 18" (off Starlite Walker) sounds like it should've been the music to a twisted version of an underground level in Super Mario Bros.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

RollingBoBo posted:

Something similar to the arctic monkeys?

Gang of Four is an obvious predecessor, though significantly more on the punk side of things (chronological order is fine for their albums). I haven't cared for their later work and I'd bet you're already familiar, but Bloc Party's first album, Silent Alarm, should have some appeal as well.

KICK BAMA KICK fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jun 6, 2009

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

chadxor posted:

I have a few. Sorry if it's a repeat.

Looking for more like this:

Early Stephen Malkmus solo albums (like the self titled one)
Earlier Wilco -- Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and before

You know, the kinda fun, sing a long indieish stuff. I love the rest of the work (Pavement is one of my favorite bands) of both of 'em, but I'm looking for more light-hearded, sing-along, but still distortion-heavy rock. If that makes any sense.

Built to Spill's There's Nothing Wrong with Love comes to mind. Some of the rest of their work, too, but I'd start there based on what you're describing. Maybe some Guided by Voices.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

chadxor posted:

Love Built to Spill, so that was a good suggestion. Saw them live a few years ago. They had this badass slideshow behind them while they were playing with art made by the lead singer. Pretty unforgettable show.

I'll check out Guided by Voices soon.

Cool. Alien Lanes and Bee Thousand are the standard starting points, and they're both chock full of really short songs. You'll probably find a good portion of them pretty forgettable and half-baked but I think the others are perfect examples of what you're looking for. If the sheer number of tracks is overwhelming at first, singling out a few songs like "I Am a Scientist", "Smothered in Hugs", "Watch Me Jumpstart", "As We Go Up, We Go Down" might make it easier to attach to.

Lo-fi shouldn't be a problem if you're into Pavement, but it is really lo-fi, and some of their later stuff like Mag Earwhig! is the same kind of songwriting with a lot more polish on the production.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Godzilla07 posted:

I need some punk recommendations. I've owned London Calling for a long time and I have Nevermind the Bollocks. I'm not too much of a fan of Nevermind the Bollocks and I love London Calling. I hope I'm not being too vague here.

Sounds like my taste as far as punk goes -- I like the stuff that uses punk as one influence among others but I'm not big on pure punk itself. Maybe check out some other punk/something else hybrid groups like Gang of Four (Entertainment!, Solid Gold) and the Gun Club (Fire of Love, Miami)?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Way Past Cool! posted:

words, quoted my suggestion

I'd also like some recommendations along the lines of stuff I was suggesting -- stuff with a heavy punk influence but integrating that into something a more diverse than traditional punk. More... melodic maybe? Gun Club and Gang of Four were all I could think of along those lines, so if anybody's got some suggestions like that, that would be awesome. But I never really got into much of the stuff described as "post-punk" or anything with much New Wave influence so that might rule out a lot of bands that kinda meet this criteria.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Once you get a handle on those I'd add The Basement Tapes, recorded with The Band (they're also worth a listen on their own, as they backed Dylan for many of his tours and include many of similar elements in their work; Before the Flood is a good live recording of Dylan with them), and John Wesley Harding, I think they're just as essential as those listed above.

Nashville Skyline doesn't work for everyone but I'd say you should absolutely give it a shot. Dylan goes whole-hog on the country influences that have always been present in his work and adopts an unusual crooning voice you don't hear almost anywhere else in his body of work. Plenty of people hear songs off it and have no idea that it's Dylan.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Yergie posted:

Let me see, I've been listening to a lot of Patterson Hood, Wilco, Uncle Tupelo, and Drive-By Truckers, with a little Pavement since yesterday.

So I guess I'm looking for loud stomping southern rock and more indie rock starting points.

In addition to what's already been said, I'd add My Morning Jacket (their earlier stuff is closer to what you're describing, but it's all excellent) and also check out Jason Isbell of the DBTs' first solo album Sirens of the Ditch (not liking his more recent one with the 400 Unit myself).

You might also enjoy some of the '60s and '70s country-rock that inspired a lot of these groups -- Neil Young, Bob Dylan, the Grateful Dead and The Byrds all incorporated that as one major influence among many to varying extents during their careers; I would call The Band and the Flying Burrito Brothers must-listens as well. Ask if you want specific albums.

As for indie starting points, Guided by Voices usually appeals to Pavement fans (start with Bee Thousand or Alien Lanes; try Mag Earwhig! if those are too haphazard and lo-fi for you). Stephen Malkmus of Pavement was also a collaborator with the now-defunct Silver Jews, and they'd be a good bet for you as their earlier work also shows a bit of alt-country influence (start from the beginning and go forward).

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

OMGWTFWALLHACK posted:

Please recommend me some songs to put on a mix cd entitled "how to deal."

Plenty of Wu-Tang and their solo stuff would fit the bill. GZA's "Killa Hills 10304", Ghostface's "Kilo".

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Swiss Army Knife posted:

In general I dislike rap, but there are a few rap songs I do really love and I'd like to find some more that suit my tastes.

I'm wondering if maybe you got disproportionately exposed to some particular artists or subgenres that aren't for you, and that's what turned you off rap, because the songs you listed are just popular stuff with big hooks. I'd recommend you start exploring the most popular albums by those artists like It Takes a Nation of Millions..., The Black Album and The Blueprint and the most accessible stuff you're going to find on most mainstream "All-Time Best Hip-Hop" lists -- The Chronic, All Eyez on Me, Illmatic, Black Star, Stankonia, The College Dropout, Food & Liquor.

I'd guess you probably won't be into some of the rawer stuff like the Wu-Tang Clan and its followers, but other than that, I think you should just start with the basics that are recommended to anyone looking to get into hip-hop and then once you've defined your tastes a little, you can look for more specific recommendations.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I'd strongly recommend Old Crow Medicine Show as a good entry point for contemporary bluegrass; any album will do. Might also check out stuff labeled "neo-traditionalist" or "Americana", Gillian Welch's Revival would be a good example.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

alnilam posted:

I've always been a fan of what folk music I had on hand, but I just recently discovered Joan Baez and Earl Scruggs/Lester Flatts for the first time in my parents' old record collection. I realized I really needed more than the little bit I had in terms of acoustic folk/bluegrass stuff (up to now I just have early Dylan and Simon/Garf, John Lee Hooker, and some old blues from the 10s/20s).

Can anyone recommend me some other bluegrass? And/or really folky folk (as opposed to folk rock, which I also like, but isn't what I'm looking for)? Really killer stuff I'm likely to find in a nearby really good record store?

I second Old Crow Medicine Show -- all three albums are good, I'd start with the first two in your case since the third has a more modern feel, the Troubles Up and Down the Road EP is also great but out-of-print I believe.

Another good entry point is Old and in the Way, a short-lived supergroup of sorts from the '70s notably featuring David Grisman, Vassar Clements and Jerry Garcia. Three albums with the original lineup, all culled from a 1973 concert series in San Francisco, setlists largely traditional songs. The third, Breakdown, contains nearly all the songs on the self-titled first album and then some, though I often prefer the performances on the self-titled. Not certain about brick & mortar availability, haven't looked in a while.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Bill Posters posted:

I myself am looking for rockabilly/alt-country artists in the vein of Rev. Horton Heat and Southern Culture on the Skids. I've looked into the usual psychobilly suspects such as the Cramps and the Meteors but they all seem to take themselves a bit too seriously. I'm really after something with a bit more of a sense of fun/humour.

Seconding Drive-By Truckers. Also would recommend Blanche -- their sense of humor is sort of gothic but it's there. Old Crow Medicine Show absolutely fits the bill as you're into bluegrass. Some early Silver Jews might be up your alley, though I wouldn't recommend their whole catalog on these specifications.

You asked specifically about modern stuff but I feel compelled to mention Billy Joe Shaver, in case you're not already familiar, since he's also exactly what you describe.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

sh1fty posted:

I'm looking for artists that use a blend of rock/folk and country. I've been listening to the early stuff of Ry Cooder for awhile now and I can't get enough of it.

Gram Parsons, with the Flying Burrito Brothers (The Gilded Palace of Sin and Burrito Deluxe), The Byrds (Sweetheart of the Rodeo) and his solo albums.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Umbriago posted:

Tell me which folk/country artists I should listen to if I like Josh Ritter, Neil Young, Bob Dylan, Townes van Zandt, Ramblin Jack Elliott, Woody Guthrie, Fleet Foxes and Chatham County Line. It doesn't have to be acoustic (I like the Felice Brothers, the Avett Brothers and The Band too), just something 'Americana'.

I'll quote myself responding to a similar question a while ago:

A Violence Gang posted:

Gram Parsons, with the Flying Burrito Brothers (The Gilded Palace of Sin and Burrito Deluxe), The Byrds (Sweetheart of the Rodeo) and his solo albums.

If you aren't already familiar, start with some of the legends of non-glitzy classic country like Hank Williams Sr., Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson and Billy Joe Shaver. The Grateful Dead recorded two great albums that draw heavily upon Americana, American Beauty and Workingman's Dead. More recently, Gillian Welch, Old Crow Medicine Show and Uncle Tupelo, which broke up and spawned Son Volt and Wilco. Specifically check out the two albums of lost Woody Guthrie songs recorded by Billy Bragg & Wilco, Mermaid Avenue Vols. 1 & 2.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

killbomb posted:

I'm looking for some country music similar to Garth Brooks or Uncle Tupelo. I've never listened to this sort of music before, but I heard some on the radio and I want to hear more. I'm looking for songs about being drunk, sad, and unemployed. Songs about the depression will work as well.

Happy to help, just understand that what you asked is analogous to looking for "rap music similar to Puff Daddy and Public Enemy" -- they're only nominally the same kind of music, share few fans and once you get a perspective on the genre you'll quickly see the distinction.

If you want more like Garth Brooks, any of the major male pop-country artists who came to prominence in the '90s will do since they were all trying to replicate his massive commercial success -- Tim McGraw, Alan Jackson, etc. Mainstream radio-friendly country is all done by the same for-hire songwriters, with the same glossy production, designed to appeal to as many of the same people as possible; you like one, you'll probably like the rest. But as you can probably tell from that description, this stuff is not held in high esteem by many music enthusiasts.

If you're looking for "songs about being drunk, sad, and unemployed", you should start with the titans -- Hank Williams (any compilation will do; none are exhaustive but 40 Greatest Hits is probably closest) and Johnny Cash (At Folsom Prison; the first of the Rick Rubin-produced American Recordings series is very strong and accessible). Billy Joe Shaver's Old Five and Dimers Like Me and I'm Just an Old Chunk of Coal are excellent examples of what you describe. Merle Haggard, Waylon Jennings and Willie Nelson are also essential.

Uncle Tupelo was among the pioneers of what came to be known as "alt-country", to distinguish it from the bullshit that gets called "country" today. All four Uncle Tupelo albums are worthwhile. Its two leads then fell out and split into Son Volt (start with the debut, Trace), which still sounds a lot like that, and Wilco, which has added a lot more influences. Others I'd recommend for an introduction include Drive-By Truckers, who often employ the sort of hard Southern rock sound similar to Uncle Tupelo's first two albums (Decoration Day to start), and Gillian Welch for downbeat folky stuff (probably Revival for "songs about the Depression" but any will do).

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

baberaham lincoln posted:

so if someone wants to recommend the essential West Coast and Southern rap records to this EAT DOG and I, it would be much appreciated.

Straight Outta Compton, The Chronic, Doggystyle and All Eyez on Me would be some obvious West Coast classics.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

TheBoogeyMan posted:

Does anyone know some good songs that feature both male and female vocals? I am not particular about the genre.

Much of Blanche.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Where will I find Bob Dylan's best recording of "I'm Not There"? The version I had came from the A Tree With Roots bootleg and the quality is... passable at best.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

blakout posted:

I'm looking for more old school sounding american/southern rock. Stuff like Gaslight Anthem and the up tempo songs by Clutch.

Drive-By Truckers are absolutely your first stop for Southern rock; Decoration Day and/or The Dirty South to start. My Morning Jacket's varied catalog includes a lot of stuff that fits this description; I'd recommend It Still Moves to start.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

wlokos posted:

Where's a good place to start with Bluegrass? I'm a big fan of Nickel Creek and I always enjoy my college radio station's bluegrass show, but beyond that I really don't know much. Normally my taste is really all over the place, so maybe someone can just suggest some basics to start with?

Take a look at this thread. Some entry points would be Bill Monroe or Flatt & Scruggs for the old stuff; Old & in the Way, a short-lived '70s supergroup including David Grisman, Vassar Clements and Jerry Garcia; or a modern group like Old Crow Medicine Show.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

ArgaWarga posted:

The Dismemberment Plan

Emergency & I

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Criminal Minded posted:

Anybody got any suggestions for bands that are similar to The Velvet Underground's self-titled (third) album? Thanks. :)

The Feelies, start with Crazy Rhythms.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

drainpipe posted:

Looking for recommendation for a much underrepresented genre, country. I really like Ryan Bingham, and I'm trying to find more stuff like him. I especially like the slightly grungey feel of his music.

None of these are terribly obscure, so apologies if you're already familiar: Uncle Tupelo was at the forefront of alt-country until a nasty split led to the formations of Wilco, which I'm sure you know and isn't exactly what you're looking for, and Son Volt, which should fit the bill. Definitely check out Drive-by Truckers; several members past and present have shared songwriting/lead vocals so they have a few different sounds that all make sense together.

Far as older stuff, I'd start with Billy Joe Shaver.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

What else am I looking for if I stumbled across Allie X - Cape God in some Spotify playlist yesterday and can't stop listening to it? Include the most basic of answers, like I know absolutely nothing about this genre, cause I don't.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

signalnoise posted:

I don't know if it would be a genre connection exactly but the album reminds me of Youra. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_z2W_ptYOY
Thanks, I liked this -- completely different than anything I was thinking about but definitely captured some of the same qualities.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Anyone know where to start with Waylon Jennings?
Honky Tonk Heroes, it's like half-written by Billy Joe Shaver so if you already know any of his work you'll know a few songs and if you don't and like it he's another thread to follow (Old Five and Dimers Like Me, I'm Just an Old Chunk of Coal).

(Also just feel free to like shuffle some best-ofs, just because of the way country music got published and released for a long time even artists who did make albums worth spinning in full also had plenty of great stuff that didn't wind up on an album that was otherwise noteworthy.)

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Louvin Brothers; 16 Horsepower, predecessor of above-mentioned Wovenhand

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Beeswax posted:

Once in a while I think about listening to his stuff but oneohtrix point never is the lamest name I’ve ever seen and I can’t get past it
How is it supposed to be read, like "1 o'tricks"?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Henchman of Santa posted:

It's supposed to be spoken like a radio station. Same cadence as "106.7"
thank you and lmao

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Came to both of these more or less by accident so don't really know anything about what they might be related to: Anything I should look for in the ballpark of Broadcast? And also Yura Yura Teikoku and Shintaro Sakamoto's solo stuff?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Ty, liked a lot of that. Stereolab was the one I'd seen mentioned before as an influence wrt Broadcast but hadn't gotten around to checking them out. Will follow up on that and the others now!

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Automatic (the contemporary band responsible for Signals and last year's Excess, if there's some ambiguity) seems like the kind of thing that would have some obvious antecedents but I wouldn't know what they are so what are they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Googling zamrock + cowboy hat gives me: William Onyeabor

Dungeon Ecology posted:

that's the one! thanks for the help
Curious cause I came across him a few months ago, liked it a lot but don't know anything about the genre: is he considered "Zamrock" or was that a red herring cause he was Nigerian wasn't he?