Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009

Leroy Diplowski posted:

I have been listening to a lot of the pixies, joe strummer, the mountain goats, and old jimmy eat world. I'm looking for something pop-punky and sing-along-able, but a little edgy too

On the poppier side, maybe the Buzzcocks, Big Star, Replacements, Teenage Fanclub, The Posies. A lot of those are power-pop and much more sing-along than edgy. For the other side of the request, maybe Gang of Four, Nation of Ulysses. I feel like maybe I'm on both sides of this rather than in the middle - I guess you've already listened to them cause of Strummer, but obviously the Clash records fit your bill if you're not already deep into them.

Edit: First couple Sunny Day Real Estate, Superchunk records

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009

A Violence Gang posted:

Got heavily into most of the obvious entry points for country music that's actually good, rather than millionaires pretending to be hillbillies while imitating the Eagles. I'm listening to a lot of classic country (Hank Williams, Johnny Cash, Townes Van Zandt), '60s/'70s country-rock (Neil Young, The Byrds, Flying Burrito Brothers, Dylan's excursions into the genre) and alt-country/Southern indie (Drive-By Truckers, Uncle Tupelo and its descendants, the early works of My Morning Jacket and Neko Case).

What's the next level, so to speak, the stuff that's less obvious? Where should I go from here?

These won't all be "less obvious", but,

For pre hank, if you're into roots music, maybe try the Harry Smith anthology, especially Dock Boggs. Here's my favorite old country-blues track http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YETlmOQWkXU

For classic country, you still have Merle, Waylon, and Willie, although maybe you just didn't list those. Dwight Yoakam's a later era but I think deserves mention with those.

Country rock, try Gram Parsons (worked with the Byrds on Sad Sweetheart of the Rodeo) has two great solo albums.

Alt-country, Two Dollar Pistol (especially You Ruined Everything), Whiskeytown, The Jayhawks, Ryan Adams' Heartbreaker (Not so much anything after that), Robbie Fulks - starting with Let's Kill Saturday Night, although Couples in Trouble is really good if you're into more of a cosmopolitan, Randy Newman vibe.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009

QUEST FOR TIRE posted:

I'm looking for some poppy experimental albums. A few that I really enjoy are Man Man - Rabbit Habbits, The Fiery Furnaces - Widow City, and the last two Animal Collective albums

Mercury Rev - Yerself is Steam

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009

Xtal posted:

I got handed the first two blood brothers records today and a 'the plot to blow up the eifel tower' (lame name) cd by someone who buys poo poo on hype so he doesnt have anymore recommendations so hit me up on similar stuff.

drive like jehu, rocket from the crypt

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009

Aturaten posted:

The first is rap that isn't poo poo. I refuse to believe that what Lil' Wayne puts out is the pinnacle of what it can sound like. I am not a fan of any "black plight" music, nor hos or bitches, or any songs that use the word "nigga/friend of the family" non-sarcastically.

This is kind of difficult not to flame, but I guess you're looking for positive hip-hop that doesn't try to confront what it means to be black in America or whatever? Maybe try A Tribe Called Quest "Award Tour", Beastie Boys "The Sounds of Science", Aesop Rock's "Daylight", Gang Starr's "Soliloquoy of Chaos," Dr. Octogon's "Earth People", Digable Planets, "Cool Like That."

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
I don't do anything more than dabble in jazz, but I can try: Kind of Blue is the record most often cited, but it's a downtempo mood piece. You might try some of the stuff he did with Charlie Parker if bop's gonna be closer to the style you already dig, and Birth of the Cool for something of a transition. Then check out Bitches Brew if you're interested in a more abstract jazz.

But for the period you mentioned, I have some three-disc Duke Ellington comp, the name of which escapes me, that is pretty fantastic.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

and whats some good southern hip hop? All I know is Lil Wayne, Bun B/UGK and Chamillionaire.

scarface, outkast, three six mafia, really selected juvenile, david banner. i really love like 90% of t.i.'s and luda's singles, but that might be too clean to be what you're going for.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

Already heard Outkast so I have some of theirs already, haven't heard Scarface beyond his Ruff ryder appearances, don't know any Juvenile, David Banner or Three Six Mafia. Any recommendations on albums?

I've had T.I's Paper Trail since it came out but never gave it a listen until this and I'm liking it. I've known about Ludacris for years but since I used to hate rap I always lumped him in with MTV hip hop. What are some good albums by him?

With Scarface I'd go with Mr. Scarface is Back or The Diary, and check out some of the Geto Boys (his former group). Mostly I don't listen to hip-hop this way, though, and there aren't any records I'd wholeheartedly recommend by the others, and the singles tend to be the best tracks, honestly. But I like "MTV hip hop" for the most part, as long as it isn't, you know, ja rule or LL Cool J as an old dude.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
Gaga depends on how much attention your mother-in-law pays. Just Dance is mostly about drinking until you don't know where you or any of your stuff are, and the other two singles have prominent references to rough sex. But then again these seem to be like the most popular songs in the country, so maybe I'm just old fashioned.

Keeping it upbeat and as inoffensive, lyrically and/or aesthetically as possible

Black Eyed Peas - Boom Boom Pow (You'd need the radio edit, few swears)
Beyonce - Single Ladies, Irreplaceable
Sean Kingston - Fire Burning, Beautiful Girls
Soulja Boy Tell 'Em - Kiss Me Through the Phone
Kelly Clarkson - My Life Would Suck Without You is the current one, but almost all of her singles are pretty great, although I guess some came out when they were 11.
Heartless, either Kanye or Kris Allen from American Idol's cover for extra teen girl points
Kid Cudi - Day & Nite (talks about a stoner)
rihanna - disturbia
m.i.a - paper planes (get high like planes)
the ting tings - that's not my name

Don't want to just spam with lists, and most of these are just off the current Hot 100. Maybe go through some MTV video playlists on their site for information?

and you might check out ilxor.com or like the yearly pazz and jop polls if you're interested in reading stuff from people who take chart hit pop music seriously

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
Jadakiss "Checkmate" if you want more people making fun of 50, Jay-Z's "The Takeover" makes a lot of room for itself. cam'ron's "You Gotta Love it" is kind of sloppy and it's not one his best albums, but stuff like "plus we tote handles at your open-toed sandals" will probably always make me laugh.

oh and d.m.x's "where da hood at" if you're ok with homophobia being hilarious

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009

tranceMiNuS posted:

I'm making a playlist, and so far I have:
Beautiful Drug - Thievery Corporation <-- Epitome of the style I'm looking for
Talk Show Host - Radiohead
Six Underground - Sneaker Pimps
The Fuel - Sneaker Pimps

Basically, I'm looking for stuff that's sexy, downtempo, probably kind of triphoppy - stuff to shoot heroin and have sex to. Pandora has mostly been giving me meh stuff, any recommendations?

His Name is Alive - This Is Our Last Affair

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009

Funyon posted:

Thanks for the recommendations guys. But none of those artists really do it for me the way Regina Spektor does. I don't know what it is about her. I usually listen to metal, but I can't stop listening to her.

Maybe rather than just female singer-songwriters, you might be interested in the anti-folk scene in New York she came out of? I don't know about her former peers in New York, but maybe stuff like Billy Bragg or Michelle Shocked?

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
You really can't go that wrong just starting with Highway 61 and moving slowly in either direction. It's not really until Self-Portrait or his first album that there's a record you don't need to hear, and Blood on the Tracks is maybe my favorite.

But if you get really into him, there's plenty of great stuff later than that, also. Specifically, Time Out of Mind and Infidels really stand among his best, I think, although neither sounds like either of the ones you're starting from.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009

scumble posted:

The 80s have always been my weak decade but I'm really starting to love a lot of bands I've heard like the Vaselines, the dB's, the Buzzcocks, Siouxsie & the Banshees, Minutemen, The Dream Syndicate, etc.- basically 80s college radio material. Please recommend as many bands as possible that sound even remotely like these groups, I'm loving them.

Just listing a bunch of obvious names, but the Go-Betweens, Pere Ubu, the Fall, Husker Du, maybe Minor Threat/Fugazi, Mission of Burma. Kind of embarassing to even type out but Sonic Youth if you haven't already.

Although my favorite 80s college radio records were mostly made by REM and the Smiths cause I am a weak little man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009

Final Fantasy Baseball posted:

This is probably going to sound really, really broad but I'm interested in asking this: if I say I wanted to hear more songs with similar characteristics to Elliott Smith's "I Didn't Understand", what songs come to mind? I'm not just asking for your favorite a capella music, mind you, but it can be. Preferably something as depressing

edit - the more words I write, the more stupid my request sounds? sorry

reaching, but, Mirah - "Cold, Cold Water", Belle & Sebastian - "The Boy Done Wrong Again, the Smiths - "London"

edit: big star - "thirteen", discography of Nick Drake

Stagger_Lee fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Aug 9, 2009