Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Talking Heads, what should I get first?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

kingcobweb posted:

stop making sense, then remain in light, then whatever.

Done, thanks

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
I've been listening to a shitload of the strokes and the libertines, and so now I'm looking for the best of the rest of the thousands of knockoffs they spawned

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Hawk Harrelson posted:

sadly the babyshambles (doherty) and dirty pretty things (barat) are both very underwhelming, but you might like some of their stuff. in fact, I actually enjoyed a few songs on Albion, and Shotter's Nation is more consistent on the whole.

I am aware of those bands (but haven't yet checked them out). I was thinking more along the lines of bands that didn't involve those members but took a lot of ideas and style from them

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Ehud posted:

I am in desperate need of some new workout music. I spend most of my time lifting, so I find that angry, fast, heavy music is the best motivator. Here are some of my favorite workout songs right now:

Meshuggah - Bleed
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qc98u-eGzlc

The Dillinger Escape Plan - 43% Burnt
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv8b6RPbnAc

Becoming The Archetype - Evil Unseen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1LQaXhWHgM

Zao - A Pirate's Prayer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovv1Su5ENoE&feature=related

Sounds like you might like Protest the Hero. I always liken them to Dilinger Escape Plan when people ask me how to describe them, but maybe a bit more "accessible" if that's possible to be in this style

Bloodmeat by Protest the Hero

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
So I'm absolutely loving Major Lazer's latest, and want to explore the dub/dancehall/reggae-or-whatever-the-gently caress side of things but really don't know where to start. I had a look at last.fm and a lot of the recommendation were for Diplo's contemporaries like Bloody Beetroots, Tiga etc, which is not what I'm looking for. Although it turn up Vavamuffin which seemed pretty cool

Also, no Bob Marley

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Is there anything like Andy McKee but with vocals? The closest I've found so far is Tallest Man On Earth, but I can't find anything else with the awesome fingerpicking to go along with the vocals. Most recommendations just give me boring singer/songwriter type stuff. I've got the earlier Bob Dylan albums, so slash that off the list too. Thanks in advance

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Dadjacket posted:

There's this really amazing seattle duo called Thousands who makes some incredible fingerpicked folk music that i think would be right up your alley. Go here and listen to any of the tracks from the record, especially Red Seagulls and Everything Turned Upside Down to get an idea of how incredible it is.

This, this is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

The other guy who suggested Michael Hedges was close, but everything about that guy is so cheesy, the 80'sness of his clothing and his new age image is really off putting. No doubt, the guy had amazing talent but still.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

SMP posted:

I've only passively listened to metal (except when I was in 6th grade :rolleyes:), but I've been binging through Metalocalypse and wondering where I should start with bands similar to Dethklok?

Amon Amarth, they're basically the real life counterparts of dethklok, complete with synchronised headbanging

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

the Bunt posted:

I'm sure you've probably heard it but I'm not super familiar with the "genre" either, but I think Kanye West's 808's and Heartbreak is like the definitive autotune ballad album.

For mine:

I'm trying to find more hip-hop songs that have a heavy focus on volume dynamics. My favorite hip-hop song ever is Nas' "One Mic" and it's basically the only song I can think that does the volume variance thing.

While it's definitely not hip hop, I always thought "woods" by Bon Iver used auto-tune pretty creatively

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Tshirt Ninja posted:

I've been loving acoustic guitar + one or two voices lately, i.e. Iron & Wine's "Such Great Heights": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKGHkBComjM
I've already gotten recommendations for Bon Iver and The Microphones, which I'm also liking. Any idea who else is similar?

The tallest man on earth, awesome fingerpicking, and a ton of comparisons to bob Dylan

Also, someone in this thread recommended me an acoustic guitar and voice duo called thousands, although there is not much information on them besides their bandcamp page though

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

kapalama posted:

"Kettering" by the Antlers.
"Hope There's Someone" by Antony and the Johnsons

I have gone over other songs by those two artists and have not really found songs that I like in the same way I like those songs.

Are there any songs like those two by other artists (or the same artists) that I have just not found?

It would be easier to point you in the right direction if you explained what you liked about these songs in particular, because to me Kettering is on par with the entirety of the Hospice album in terms of it's sound, instruments and subject matter and I would have just recommended you listen to the whole thing

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
So I'm loving synth/new wave from the 80's right now, I got some "Best Of's" of The Human League, Simple Minds and Tears For Fears, what are some others that are essential?

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
It doesn't have to be compilations. But that looks like a solid list and will have me busy for a while. Thanks!

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Misogynist posted:

I'm in love with Man Man and Sleepytime Gorilla Museum. What else will I like?

As for man man, for some reason I always think of them when I listen to Introducing... by Foxy Shazam, especially the song "It's hair smelled like bonfire", even though the genres are pretty separate.

They always get compared to Tom Waits and Captain Beefheart too. Other options are Gogol Bordello (who they recently went on tour with) and a local band called Rapskallion.

They're some I can think of right now

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Eight Is Legend posted:

You know that feeling, when you're madly, insanely in love with someone? They're all you want to think about, and every time you do, your stomach turns into a seaman and knots itself irreversibly.

Recommend me some music that evoke this feeling.

Eels are great for this, pretty much everything on Hombre Lobo is a good choice (it IS subtitled "12 songs of desire" for a good reason). In particular, "All the Beautiful Things", "The Look You Gave That Guy" and "Ordinary Man"

I've always been partial to of Montreal's Bedside Drama too, and oft overlooked album of theirs, but fits that bill pretty well, especially "The Hollow Room" and "Sing You A Love Song".

Although I don't know if you're going for songs about being in love or songs about wanting love, but these fit the latter.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Jelly! posted:

I'm looking for some upbeat jazz music that you might associate with spy movies or chasing on foot or car.

for reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAvz9dpwqC4&feature=related
I really like the drums in the first part (dont know what type of drums they are :( ) so that's a plus if the song has it.

If that fails, anything similar to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAvz9dpwqC4&feature=related would be nice.

Did you mean to link the same video twice?

On a similar note I'm looking for some jazz/swing stuff, I have what you would call a "best of" collection, with people like Cab Calloway, Duke Ellington, Django and Louis Armstrong, but are there any classics or other good collections of songs like that? The more "swing"-y, big band it is the better

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Paperhouse posted:

not quite sure what I'm looking for, idk what it's called specifically but stuff like Letherette and S Maharba. Beats stuff, sampling, instrumental hip hop, boom-bap maybe? I really don't know but I really like what I've heard by these two. here's a couple of tracks if you dunno what they sound like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ti98HXfseXY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sHxY_5VCNg

Belleruche might be what you're after, it's a little less hip hoppy, but I hear a lot of similarities.

http://youtu.be/7bBLhDngS_8

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Paperhouse posted:

this isn't bad but I'm definitely after less songy stuff and more hip hoppy samples and beats. I'm not even sure the two tracks I posted are particularly similar but I group them together for some reason

Fair enough, maybe Chinese Man then?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rrfIubAEP0

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Puttblug posted:

I'm hosting my first BBQ at my new apartment on Sunday. What kind of music can I play that's not Creedence Clearwater, Bruce Springsteen, and Eric Clapton. Their will be a good mix of young and old. I mostly listen to metal so I'm a bit lost as to what to play.

Whenever I have people over to our place I like to put on some funk, like Parliament, Sly and the Family Stone, Kleeer. It's catchy enough that the young people will probably like it, and the older of the bunch might already be quite familiar with them. I'll always start with the song "Flash Light", by Parliament, if people don't start involuntarily bobbing their heads along with the beat, then there is something wrong (this hasn't happened yet).

Alternatively, you can't really go wrong with greatest hits collections of well known artists like David Bowie, the Rolling Stones, Van Morrison, Bill Withers, The Beatles, that kind of thing. Everyone should be familiar with them, and inoffensive enough that no one can really take any issue with them.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
I'm looking for some artists who perform with pretty much only piano and voice, with a little classical tinge. Regina Spektor and Rufus Wainwright are similar to what I'm looking for, but waaaay stripped back to just the piano. Preferably with a darker, more melancholy tone.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

BCR posted:

Alright I need some help.

I work in the mines in Australia, mainly with 20 to 50 year olds, and we have a mix tape competition to pass the time while drinking and gambling after work.

There are three prizes Gold (three cartons of beer) where nobody wants to skip to the next song, Silver (two cartons of beer) where you listen to the entirety of at least 6 out of the 9 songs and Bronze where you get a toilet roll for your audio talents.

Rules are 9 songs, only use an artist once. Rocks mainly what I know and the crowd knows. I'm aiming for silver. This is what I've got so far:

The Eagles - Hotel California
Golden Earring - Radar Love
Tom Petty - Running down a dream
The Angels - Am I ever gonna see you face again
Jimmy Barnes - Working class man
Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run
Boston - More than a feeling
ACDC - Its a long way to the top
Jimmy Hendrix - All along the watchtower

Basically I've been thinking about this on and off for a week before I head out again, and I'd like your help to make it as strong as possible. I've also got the problem that someone else is more than likely to pick the same songs, so any suggestions from a different angle would be appreciated!

Haha, this sounds pretty fun, and if there is one thing I've learned from going to australian pubs and listening to countless lovely cover bands, is that drunk people go loving nuts for Summer of '69 by Bryan Adams, Khe Sanh by Cold Chisel and I'm gonna be (500 Miles) by the Proclaimers (although I'm now so sick of these songs)

I also reckon any of Dire Straits big hits would work too

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I've been listening to Blind Guardian, and I hate to admit it, but I love them.

Nothing wrong with that, Blind Guardian are awesome. As for other power metal, HammerFall is always a good bet, all of their albums are pretty solid so you can start anywhere. Manowar is good too, I started with Warriors of the World, and having listened to the rest of the catalog, I actually reckon it's a good place to start, covers a lot of styles, the production is good, and has one of the greatest album openers in "Call to Arms"

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

me your dad posted:

I'm looking for very somber, depressing, sparse banjo music. I don't care if it has vocals, as long as the vocals match the overall tone. I could be looking for the John Fahey of the banjo world.

A lot of Sufjan Stevens fits this bill, it's not purely banjo, but it certainly features very heavily, the albums "Seven Swans" and "Michigan" probably has the most banjo out of his discog

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

PDMChubby posted:

I'm looking for music that's from the 50s/60s (or sounds like it is) that has a slow tempo with sparse arrangements--usually just a singer and a bass and maybe a guitar and drums and/or finger snaps--as well as soul/blues tinged and mostly showcase the vocals.

Since I am doing a horrible job trying to describe it, I want music like this:
Elvis Presley - Fever
Nancy Sinatra - Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down)
Serge Gainsbourg - Le Claqeur de Doigts
She & Him - I Put a Spell On You

I know a few of these are covers but pretty much any version of the songs fits what I'm looking for. Thanks.

How about the Mills Brothers? Depending on what era you go for I reckon that it would fit the bill, I think the late 40's/early 50's had the most instrumentation, even ventured into big band/swing territory, but it was still ALL about their voices

This is one of my favourites Paper Doll

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Not Very Metal posted:

Try My Goodness, they're new and good.

Or Radio Moscow, the first album was even produced by Dan Auerbach as well

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

John Jhonson posted:

This is kind of a strange request, but can anyone recommend any music with sort of a dark and moody banjo? Ideally just instrumental, but lyrics are fine too. Most stuff I hear that involves a banjo is a lighter, more uptempo bluegrass-y sound, but I'm looking for something slower and less cheerful.

I don't have much to list as examples, but the banjo on Johnny Cash's "Ain't No Grave" and the general sound and tone of some of 16 Horsepower's stuff comes to mind.

How about Graveyard Train?
Self described as horror country

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Skellen posted:

I've been binging on Tom Waits for quite a while now. Anyone out there similar to him?

Which era Tom Waits?

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Skellen posted:

The stuff I've been enjoying most has been late 90's/early 00's (Mule Variations/Alice).

Well I can't really help you then. Oh well!

So I've been listening to Buena Vista Social Club recently, and how do you get in to this latin/salsa style music? Any good compilations or essential albums I should be listening to?

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

killaer posted:

Can anyone recommend me any bands/songs that have a really strong lead guitar component (lots of shredding, preferably)?

Just to give an example of the type of bands I'm looking for: I'm a huge huge fan of Red Hot Chili Peppers, Jimi Hendrix, lots of the early Smashing Pumpkins songs on Gish, I love the Funkadelic songs where they had Eddie Hazel for guitar (Especially Maggot Brain). Recently been getting into a lot of the psychedelic guitar parts that Dave Navarro plays in Jane's Addiction.

I like listening to a lot of the pop-punk stuff my friends are into, but I was wondering if there was any good rock stuff that does the Funk-Rock thing that RHCP did.

Radio Moscow is aaaallll about the guitar. Some of them are more acoustic based, but most of it is all about cool solos with minimal vocals. Here is I Just Don't Know https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUlw2PJfAoA

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

syntaxfunction posted:

Hey guys, I am looking for music like The Smashing Pumpkins. That is, layers of guitars (And pianos, and little sounds that flutter around), melodic solos and hooks, nice drums and bass, dynamics (Loud/soft and the like) and tonnes of fuzz. And effeminate or "weird" vocals if possible.

I've tried a bunch of music recommendation sites and it just gives me stuff I already know (Any big alternative band from the 90s like Pearl Jam, Placebo, etc). I also know (And have all the albums of) Silversun Pickups already, too.

Anyone got recommendations for that sort of music? I'm learning guitar and I'm thinking I might just have to make the music myself!

Maybe try Ride? It's maybe a bit more noisy than it is fuzz, but it's got similar dynamics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kfLJmqFl2U

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Anyone got more funk/soul recommendations along the lines of Tower of Power, Earth Wind and Fire and Sly and the Family Stone?

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Suspicious Dish posted:

Blood, Sweat and Tears?

Already got some of that, but that is exactly what I'm looking for as well

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Anyone got any good recommendations for funk/disco bands? I'm talking stuff that's a little more broad and easily accessible for your average listener, as well as being bass heavy. As much as I the love parliament/funkadelic style, I'm looking for stuff that's a bit more immediate party, than psychedelic craziness. Some examples I've been listening to recently are t-connection, BT Express, Mandrill, Fatback band, The Gap Band and Slave, available on spotify is a big plus

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Doctor Butts posted:

This may be late but:
Lakeside
(Fantastic Voyage, All the Way Live, Raid)
Zapp
(I Can Make You Dance, More Bounce To the Ounce)

I don't know if they're on spotify though.

If you're willing to slide further towards the 80's Id recommend Rick James and his slightly under rated group he produced: The Mary Jane Girls

I had discovered Zapp in between when I made that post and now, and Lakeside is perfect, so thanks for that.

And 80's is fine too, doesn't matter how cheesy it gets I want more of it

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

These guys are exactly what I was looking for as well. Thanks!

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

I like to listen to kraftwerk for this exact purpose. While it does have vocals, I don't understand German so that doesn't take my focus away. Autobahn is my go to

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Ofaloaf posted:

I've lately gotten this weird compulsion to listen to music'll that spook me. What's some good stuff that goes more along the lines of that sort of howling-of-the-damned sound in Ligeti's Requiem, rather than any jump-scare sort of thing? I want something atmospheric that'll make me paranoid and afraid when it's dark outside and I'm alone.

Maybe Fantomas - Delerium Cordia? It's supposed to be a soundtrack to surgery without anaesthesia

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Mister Fister posted:

So i'm getting into Funk and i'm building a playlist in google play music... it's kinda small at the moment, i have parliament funkadelic, Kool & the Gang, Stevie Wonder, and a lot of james brown hits in my playlist.

Anyone else have a good funk playlist on google play music that they could share?

Similarly to the other guy, here's my spotify list https://open.spotify.com/user/1230963030/playlist/5MUEV7MIWqCn0zwwIPsU7m it needs some trimming down, and there is some soul in there as well. It also occasionally veers in to done disco territory as well, and I put parliament/funkadelic and sly in their own category but it looks like you'll have that covered.

As a quick guide, get some Zapp/Roger Troutman, early fatback band, slave, BT express, Brick, Tower of Power and early Bar-Kays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Major Isoor posted:

Well, aside from the '80s glam rock/hair metal/shock rock frenzy I've been on for the past twelve months (most recently heard Kix. Some of their songs like Blow My Fuse and Cold Blood are just soo good) I recently stumbled upon a metal band that I really like: Demon. I like the song Into the Nightmare the most, but they do have some other good ones like Life on the Wire. Now, this basically brings my list of metal bands that I enjoy and listen to regularly/semi-regularly up to three: Dio, Demon and Saxon.
So what I'm wondering is, are there any similar bands that people here could recommend me? I've spoken to some of my RL friends who like metal, but for the most part they like either incredibly loud+rapid metal music, or incomprehensible screamo metal - neither of which appeal to me, really.

So yeah, needless to say, I don't listen to their musical advice so much anymore. :D But yeah, so any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Hell, not necessarily just for metal, either - if anyone happens to think of some '80s rock bands that I might like listening to (main ones from memory being Def Leppard, Queen, Poison, Fastway, as well as some Europe, Twisted Sister, Night Ranger, Great White, Queensryche and Ratt. Likely missing quite a few though)

Thanks again, with aiding me in my endless pursuit for more music!

This seems obvious but Motley Crue? Also, GWAR