Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Armed Neutrality posted:

I'm looking for more acoustic folky stuff along the lines of Bon Iver/Elliott Smith/Ray Lamontagne/Fleet Foxes/Mumford and Sons/Matt Costa. I'm an old, overworked, unhip parent and and as such a decade or so out of touch. :)

Have you tried Josh Ritter or M. Ward?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Koaxke posted:

What are some bands that have very organ themed songs like The Doors or The Animals (in House of the Rising Sun), etc.?

edit: I also should have added that the more psychedelic sounding it is, the better.

I'd be surprised if you didn't already know about it considering your examples, but I feel like I'd never forgive myself if I didn't pass along ? and the Mysterians' 96 Tears every time the words "psychedelic" and "organ" come up.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Avocados posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTPqPZzH-LA
Talking Heads- This Must Be The Place is a cool song I heard today. It had a really cool and laid back feel. I listened to the other Talking Heads songs but none really matched this. I guess I'm looking for more 'relaxed and lazy' sounding music similar to this?

I feel like you'd be better off looking into David Byrne's solo career; there's a few similar-feeling songs to be found there. Probably look into Everything That Happens Will Happen Today, particularly Home and Life Is Long.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Anatharon posted:

I've been trying to find music that helps psyche you up. Energetic, upbeat and all that. Any suggestions?

Sort of similar to this, I'm starting to get into New Wave. I went through an extensive Talking Heads phase two years ago so I'm good with Byrne & Company, but I'm specifically looking for songs that are energetic, upbeat, and... well, all that.

Specifically, I'm looking for songs close to Modern English - I'll Melt With You, Joe Jackson - Steppin' Out, Elvis Costello - (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love, and Understanding), and a-ha - Take On Me. (Not obscure songs by any means but I'm also responding to Anatharon so I feel like I should include links.)

Basic drum rhythms, fast tempos, and possibly fast-moving bass players or gratuitous amounts of synthesizers. I'm running around Wikipedia's list of New Wave artists on Spotify right now, but if you were going to make a mix tape similar to the songs I've posted, what would you put on it?

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Stupor Mundi posted:

I've been listening to Vampire Weekend all week and I absolutely love them. Their self-titled is my favorite, followed by Contra and then Modern Vampires of the City. Can anyone recommend similar bands or bands that I might enjoy? Their music is just so fun.

Graceland and Rhythm of the Saints by Paul Simon would both probably fall into this category, to the extent that all I remember about Vampire Weekend's first album is that everybody was comparing them to this. If you haven't listened to either album, I'd think that's a great starting point.

e: The guy above me recommended The Talking Heads, but David Byrne also put out an album of Latin-inspired music (Rei Momo) that might be up your alley as well.

Declan MacManus posted:

For once someone other than regulargonzalez is going to recommend Sleater-Kinney! I'd also recommend Big Eyes, Titus Andronicus, Built to Spill, and Dinosaur Jr.

E: also Hüsker Dü

With these recommendations, I'd tack on The Replacements and The Gaslight Anthem.

e2: If you look them up on Spotify, they both do some slower songs as well. I'm not sure why Blue Jeans and White T-Shirts is the top song for Gaslight, but the second and third songs ("45" and "The '59 Sound") should be the closest thing to what you're probably looking for.

Cockblocktopus fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Feb 17, 2014

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

guppy posted:

I have and really love The Exciting Wilson Pickett. A lot of the other artists I think of as soul (Al Green, e.g.) aren't really the same kind of stuff. What else should I listen to? Aretha is great but already on my radar.

Wheat Loaf's post is great (thanks Wheat Loaf, I've loaded up a giant playlist because of that). I'd also tack on Ike and Tina Turner's work together; it's never really completely clicked for me, but I think it would if I gave it more time and it's undeniably high-quality music.

I haven't found anybody running around today that quite does the manic Wilson Pickett/James Brown "holy poo poo this band is a well-coordinated train that could run off the tracks at any point" experience (it might not be the best way to describe it, but there's a sheer velocity in their music that's pretty rare), but I have been trying to find a modern soul artist or group to rally around for a while. I don't think I've quite hit it, but you might want to try some or all of the following:

Some other good artists that could pop up in a lot of the same conversations could include Alabama Shakes, Mayer Hawthorne, Tobias Jesso Jr., James Bay, and Fitz and the Tantrums, but I think the list above might be your best bet?

Most of these guys only have one or two albums out so it's hard to give an album recommendation besides "uh, check their stuff out I guess"

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

goose fleet posted:

Looking to dig into britpop, but not entirely sure where to go from here. I really enjoyed the first two albums by Oasis, even liked the first one more than the second. The Verve is amazing. Strongly disliked Parklife but I might be able to give Blur another chance if any other albums are solid.

Basically I just want to hear more of the first two albums by Oasis and anything by The Verve. Any album/band recommendations?

Have you tried listening to Pulp? You should try listening to Pulp. Different Class is probably the best point of entry, but I'm partial to This is Hardcore myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Beffica posted:

Looking for more stuff like The Presidents of the United States of America's first few albums before they broke up, reformed and went pop punk. Also looking for more stuff like Ween, Butthole Surfers, Frank Zappa and The Residents. Craving weird funny rocky stuff.

Mojo Nixon might be up your alley as well; I found him through this song from one of the old SA CD swaps. (Well, that and Don Henley Must Die)