Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Cakebaker posted:

This is sort of a weird one but think Lion King soundtrack + Civ 4 title screen and a little bit of Graceland. I guess songs that borrow from african music would be a better description but I'm not sure that's specific enough.

Does anyone know of an actual band that does music like this because I think it's pretty sweet.

Is this some elaborate trap to try to make somebody recommend you Vampire Weekend?

Well listen to Ladysmith Black Mambazo instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

LuckySevens posted:

Anyone know of some bluesy female singers like Fiona Apple? I love that kind of sexy voice and would love to hear some other artists like her.

Eva Cassidy had a beautiful voice.

Or do you mean stuff more like Regina Spektor and Norah Jones? If so I'm not sure it's "bluesy" that is the most apt adjective.

You could try some jazz vocalists as well and see if that's more what you mean. Lena Horne and Billy Holiday are pretty universal starting places.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Porkchop Express posted:

Can anyone recommend to me some French music? I am not sure what "genre" it would fall under; but I enjoy the stuff that automatically makes you think Paris when you hear it. Think lots of accordion, stuff like in the Amelič soundtrack! Anyone have any ideas?

Like Edith Piaf kind of stuff, or more modern?

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
Looking for string-heavy indie rock stuff, kind of like Beirut or Pale Young Gentlemen but maybe a little bit more klezmery, if that's not too vague?

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

SuperSlacker posted:

I'm looking for some good music that's stylistically similar to Regina Spektor. Anyone?

The standard responses are Norah Jones, Feist and Ani Difranco.

Ingrid Michaelson will probably be up your alley as well.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

alnilam posted:

I've always been a fan of what folk music I had on hand, but I just recently discovered Joan Baez and Earl Scruggs/Lester Flatts for the first time in my parents' old record collection. I realized I really needed more than the little bit I had in terms of acoustic folk/bluegrass stuff (up to now I just have early Dylan and Simon/Garf, John Lee Hooker, and some old blues from the 10s/20s).

Can anyone recommend me some other bluegrass? And/or really folky folk (as opposed to folk rock, which I also like, but isn't what I'm looking for)? Really killer stuff I'm likely to find in a nearby really good record store?

By law every used record store on the planet has at least one Nitty Gritty Dirt Band and/or Stanley Brothers LP.

I have a soft spot for Old Crow Medicine Show but that is because they are great live.
Del McCoury's Band is pretty good as well.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

noggut posted:

My own request:
I've got a real soft spot for cheerful songs with whistling, and have been listening to this song a lot lately. Anyone got something to recommend?
The rest of that album was a let down tbh.

As to whistling, there's Andrew Bird of course:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1Aha3JjELY

And Peter Bjorn & John
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51V1VMkuyx0

e: God drat, beaten on both counts

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

OrganicRobot posted:

Holy poo poo, are you in my head right now?

Yeah, that was a little sinister.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
I'm looking for some up tempo early Gospel music in the vein of Sister Rosetta Tharpe (so maybe less of the vocal-heavy stuff like Mahalia Jackson and more emphasis on guitar).

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

JehovahsWetness posted:

Wow, thanks. Those are pretty much exactly the kind of pointers I was looking for.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Terrorist Kerchief posted:

This is a bit vague but I've been listening to a lot of Bob Dylan lately and I want more of the same style(hippie-ish music?) any recommendations?

Well what about Dylan do you like? The man has done a lot of very different things. What albums/songs pop out at you?

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

poop posted:

Anyone know any artists really similar to Andrew Bird?

Well early Andrew Bird is similar to current Andrew Bird, for one:
His earlier pre-Swimming Hour stuff is pretty good but definitely closer to stuff like the Squirrel Nut Zippers than his later output. And he makes sure to really do a good job of improvising or otherwise modifying his songs when he's playing live. The Fingerlings collections have some great live stuff if you aren't in a position to go see him.

St. Vincent collaborated with + has been compared to Andrew Bird a few times, so you could check her out. Sufjan Stevens usually also comes up in a list of similar artists but you've probably already heard his stuff. If you want to skew more twee then you could try out the Fruit Bats. If you want to skew more folksy then you could try Bowerbirds or DeVotchKa.

Surfer Rosa Parks posted:

In that case I'd say listen to "Eve of Destruction" by Barry Mcguire, a protest song on par with the very best of Dylans folk/protest work. For stuff that sounds like Hurricane you should check out the whole Folk Rock scene in the 70's- Artists like The Band (Dylans own backing band), Fairport Convention, Neil Young (Harvest is a good starting point), Cat Stevens and The Travelling Wilburys.

I agree. See if you can cotton to Arlo Guthrie and Pete Seeger as well. Also check out Dylan's Theme Time Radio Show, he really goes out of his way to cover a lot of the musical ground that he thinks is important+influential on it so it also works as a backwards sort of way to see what influenced Dylan.

Tree Goat fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jun 18, 2010

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

TheBoogeyMan posted:

Does anyone know some good songs that feature both male and female vocals? I am not particular about the genre.

You might want to refine your query if it includes this, this and this as possible answers

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Tshirt Ninja posted:

Any recommendations for contemporary folk/indie? I fell in love with Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros, especially Home: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjFaenf1T-Y
I just don't know anything about the genre.

Then you are in luck!
This is more or less a PYF thread by now, but it hits a lot of the high points.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
The Johnny Cash cover of If You Could Read My Mind would probably fit better with that list than the original.

e: Maybe
Paul Brady's Arthur McBride would work as well? Normally I'd suggest Dylan's version, but you've already nixed that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBGkhPx529g

Tree Goat fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Nov 26, 2010

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Nuclear Spoon posted:

Check out Caspian, Explosions in the Sky, The Evpatoria Report.

In my experience, which is admittedly pretty limited, GY!BE are pretty unlike anything else I've heard. But those bands I've mentioned are all in the vein of long instrumental stuff.

Don't forget Do Make Say Think and Fly Pan Am

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
There's perennial lazy crossword clue Nena of luftballoon fame.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

screenwritersblues posted:

Can anyone recommend me something along the lines of Best Coast? I've been getting into that surf rock sound lately and can't find anything like them. I know that Wavves sounds like them also, but I just can't find anyone else.

Luckily somebody has already addressed this question:
http://www.somethingawful.com/d/garbage-day/femme-pop-mixtape.php

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

screenwritersblues posted:

I meant more along the sound that they have, not the fact that they are fronted by a female lead.

I know. I still think the article has a good list for what you're looking for. Vivian Girls, Dum Dum Girls, really that whole Shangri-Las inspired femme pop genre is all very similar to Best Coast (or rather Best Coast are similar to them).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

poop device posted:

Any recommendations for something like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9xgKNgW7FA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Classified as folk but pandora and last.fm have been little/no help.

you could try andrew bird's bowl of fire
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcT1z2GdQyA

it also sort of reminds me of anais mitchell, you could try that?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcZPTp-F0nE