Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
I really love Friendly Fires. Any similar bands?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Any other bands similar to The Naked And Famous?

I know they're heavily-influenced by M83 but I prefer their catchier style over the often drone/shoegazey approach of M83. I've heard of Passion Pit, Tim and Jean and Abe Vigoda already.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Can anyone recommend some quasi-popular 80s bands/albums? Just heard the Virgins and Philistines album by The Colourfields the other day and I thought it was terrific, same with "Slave to Love" by Bryan Ferry; all of which went past my 80s radar.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Thanks guys! :D

Is there a list or blog or whatever that I can check so I can find more?

That XTC song just made my day; it's from 1979 but pre-dates what would later be huge in the following decade. Apparently the song was quite popular too but somehow I never hear it on our radio stations' throwback setlist.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Are there any artists similar to Florence in that she has a heavy, kinda-rock style approach that juxtaposes the gospel-style singing?

I guess what I'm trying to say is Florence but no X-Factor-style artists but more along the lines of Lorde, Courtney Barnett, etc.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

I really love American Football and This Town Needs Guns (TTNG) - are there any similar math rock bands that have vocals and are easy to listen to?

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Awesome, they do sound alike. Is Other Men on iTunes? Having trouble looking for their stuff other than YouTube.

Henchman of Santa posted:

There are a whole lot of bands who are heavily indebted to American Football but I wouldn't call them math rock. Do you listen to any other emo in that style?

I had no idea that they qualified as "emo" - most of the emo I have are posthardcore-y or the fake ones.

That said, yes, I'd be open to checking anyone that resembles that sound. Specific songs would be nice too.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Okay, I have Helmet's "In The Meantime" on constant repeat and I'm looking for anything that resembles that the most - a really catchy headbanging track that doesn't have someone growling about entrails.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Can someone recommend creepy instrumental music that's still listenable? Will use it for a surreal and mysterious wedding Save The Date video.

I'm thinking along the lines of the NIN Closer remix during Se7en's opening, Massive Attack's Special Cases, or perhaps Explosions in The Sky meets Trent Reznor and not Nurse With Wound or those stuff.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

A human heart posted:

What's wrong with NWW?

Never did like his stuff. Granted, I've only heard Homotopy but I'm guessing that's indicative of his material.

I also don't like any noise artist in general like the Merzbow's, Throbbing Gristle's, etc.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

glynnenstein posted:

There may be some Skinny Puppy / Cevin Key / Download tracks that could work for this. A bunch of Doubting Thomas would work except it might all be full of sampled movie dialogue which sounds brutally dated now.

Einsturzende Neubauten has a lot of stuff in this mood but there's a lot of screeching Germans I think you'd want to dodge throughout their catalogue. Maybe some stuff off the first couple Strategies Against Architecture albums could work.

Elite Gymnastics does some good moody stuff in a much more modern context.

Lake Radio has some of the few things from the witchhouse scene that hold up today and that might work.

I think there was an instrumental release of The Fragile if you want to go straight to NIN.

Scorn does the creepy mood really well. Vocal sample landmines abound, but Forever Turning off Gyral seems to work and there should be others.

SPK sorta did some of that mixed in with industrial disco. The Doctrine of Eternal Ice might work for your purpose.

You could also check out soundtracks. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross, for example.

Skimming through SPK and Scorn and so far this is exactly what I'm looking for! Anyone else similar?

Lake Radio and Elite Gymnastics aren't, but I love that sound (witchhouse, ominous 80s new wave) so thanks for that as well!

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Any songs/bands similar to Johnny Foreigner that make use of male and female vocal harmony, specifically in "Salt Peppa and Spinderella"?

Basically, less Mates of State and more The Subways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlLB3dWVj0Q[

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

I just heard Ladyhawke's "Back Of The Van" earlier and I've had it on constant repeat for almost the whole day. Can't believe that song is almost 10 years old too and it completely went past my radar.

Can you recommend other songs or artists similar to that? I'm already familiar with Glass Candy, Chromatics, Drive OST, and Annie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Any suggestions for Alexisonfire (or any other band) songs similar to "Familiar Drugs" with the awesome non-whiny singing parts interspersed with mild screaming?