Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

het posted:

Again, why is that important?

To avoid beating around the bush, there's a weird idea amongst a lot of people that a talented performer composing their own music makes it somehow more valid and therefore good, but that seems sort of silly to me given the wealth of pop (and other kinds of) music that has existed for decades that obviously defies this idea. Not to put too fine a point on it, but who gives a poo poo?

edit: I guess that should be "why should anyone give a poo poo?"

Because (western) popular music was defined by bands like The Rolling Stones and The Beatles who made a point of transitioning into writing and performing their own music in direct contrast to the factory line pop singers of the time.

I'm struggling to think of any popular musicians that I like that don't write the majority of their own music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Ras Het posted:

Perhaps it was defined so for about three weeks in 1969, but generally that approach is tedious and unproductive.

What do you mean?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Transistor Rhythm posted:

Since I second his opinion, I'll chime in and say that it's an unproductive, rockist baby boomer mentality that's tied to a specific moment in pop music history and probably needs to go the way of the buffalo. I mean, these dudes wrote a bunch of songs that are better and more memorable than the entire Beatles songbook without bringing the entire "performer writing their own material" construct into it. And on the other hand, a performer can often create the most enduring or definitive version of a song that they had nothing to do with the composition of.

Ras Het posted:

Much (most?) of absolutely definitive pop music wasn't written by the performers, and generally the auteur idea leads to utter banality in the mainstream narrative.

It seems to me that in rejecting rockist orthodoxy you have rather overshot into the view that rock music isn't valid at all.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

MOD EDIT: DO NOT REPLY TO THIS POST PLEASE, THIS IS STUPID.

I'm bored, recommend me literally anything as long as it's amazing. Thanks.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

I like Unwound. Anyone else I should listen to?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

funkybottoms posted:

Unwound rules. Karp, Shellac (any Albini band, really), the first two Trail of Dead albums, Sonic Youth, Shipping News, Indian Summer, Moss Icon, Fugazi (probably don't need to say that), Slint, US Maple, Don Caballero, Bastro

Enjoying Indian Summer, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Henchman of Santa posted:

I'm also wondering if there's any modern hardcore with notable lead guitar playing. I love stuff like Defeater and Modern Life is War that's really focused on impassioned vocals, but instrumentally those bands always seem to keep it pretty simple besides maybe the drums. Same goes for screamo. Any bands that combine the emotional intensity of those bands with guitar heroics?

They aren't modern but Drive Like Jehu could play guitar.