Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
and when that doesn't start
there's murder in my heart
Hi, all. I just read this whole thread, and I am 99% sure I am in the right place:

What can y'all recommend me as far as Christmas Dubstep? A little backstory:

I have been considering getting my parents into dubstep for the longest time, but I figure, what with Christmas coming up, it's the perfect opportunity. The hitch? Well, Dad only likes talk radio (sports) and Mom, AFAIK, only listens to the music she hums to herself when she is putting the dry dishes away. The sole exception to this (for both) is Christmas music. I want to give them a gift that is meaningful and personal, but also I am constrained in time and money because I am a student. I express myself best through the art of others, and I have been listening almost exclusively to dubstep this whole semester. So what I want from you knowledgeable guys is:

6-ish Xmas-y dubstep tracks (friends already suggested that I pick up the iTunes albums by Burial, Justice, Skrillex, and Moby and I figure I can pull one song from each of those) that flow reasonably well and that Mom and Dad can play in the car.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain

Terminally Bored posted:

great contemporary post-punkers:
The Native Cats - bass+keyboards duo from New Zealand
The Pheromoans - probably the best band in London right now. the fact that they don't necessarily know how to play their instruments does not matter.
Hygiene
Country Teasers - probably the most insulting music one could ever hear
Dan Melchior - this guy releases three albums per year
Gun Outfit
Cheveu
The Intelligence (defunct, sadly)
Total Control
Grass Widow

from old (and not mentioned above) stuff check Black Randy & The Metrosquad, Grauzone, Axemen, Prolapse, The Ex, Glaxo Babies, The Girls (the 80s synth-punk band), Alternative TV and all of the Messthetics compilations.

You rule new guy. But you move too fast. Here is the proverbial deepend-->_<--here's where your throwing us! Provide a youtube of cheveu - truck (for example) or give album starting points. Perhaps a new thread? IDK.

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
Uncle Tupelo is the only essential alt country. Still Feel Gone is the most consistent album? Anodyne has the best songs.

Graveyard Shift is rocky: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKo_1rVClOk

High Water is not but it isn't on youtube :facepalm:

Looking for a way OUt is somewhere between! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMagJdyWxQM

the guys who were in this band still make music sometimes but i wouldn't feel comfortable recommending it.

also listen to superlative country music dead man Gram Parsons. that goes for everyone (start with the stuff he did with emmylou Harris. Emmylou :swoon:)

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain

Saint Rockhopper posted:

I'm looking for rap from all around the world, in as many languages as possible. I know that's awfully broad but I'm not sure where to start.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iF3Dv57oZM