Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alpiger
Sep 10, 2010

by Ozma
Not sure how much success I'll have with this here, but does anyone know of any artists doing the electro/techno/ghettotech hybrid style of Aux 88? I know the Direct Beat label is kind of the home for this stuff, and I like some DJ Assault and DJ Godfather stuff where they tone down the silly lyrics and amp up the bleep bloop. Anything else?

Also, anything like this or this. Instrumental, atmospheric, melodic synth music with a vintage analog sound. Preferably something that maintains some kind of forward movement throughout the song, rather than being totally recursive like the more poppy minimal synth groups or pure directionless noodling like most of the 'experimental' guys (although ultimately I'll take recursion over twenty minutes of noodling, I like this for example). I'm already familiar with the Strange Life label and John Carpenter's work, anything else?

alpiger fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Oct 10, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alpiger
Sep 10, 2010

by Ozma

gay til death posted:

stuff

Thanks for the recommendations, I really can't get into that 4 on the floor juke/jit stuff though. I definitely prefer stuff with an electro beat like this or this. I'm definitely down with old Miami bass stuff, although I wish the tempo was higher. Any specific recommendations you could offer given that or is it just a matter of finding the more electro-influenced tracks from the same group of producers? I don't have any real problem with goofy lyrics by the way I just generally find that stuff tends to be less musically interesting to me, maybe that is more a matter of the aforementioned 4 on the floor thing though.

alpiger
Sep 10, 2010

by Ozma
Can anyone recommend anything that sounds like this?

Specifically that kind of hazy, saturated, psychedelic production. It's almost dreampop-esque which is something I've never really heard before in the context of soul music (granted my knowledge of the genre is pretty limited). Falsetto vocals a bonus but not required.

alpiger
Sep 10, 2010

by Ozma
Kind of a weird request but does anyone know any tracks that have the same kind of FM synth bass as this, this and this? I am inexplicably crazy about this sound, maybe it's subconscious nostalgia for the Sega Genesis days or something. Would be nice to get stuff in this same kind of electronic dance music vein but I guess I'm open to whatever really.

alpiger
Sep 10, 2010

by Ozma

PoisonedV posted:

I've really enjoyed Burial's Untrue for a long time, but I hate most of what is referred to as dubstep, so when I look for similar artists I usually don't get too far. Are there other dubstep artists out there with a sound like that, or just something generally chill and not the rabid bass drop poo poo I have usually associated with it?

The meaning of 'dubstep' has changed a lot over the past 10 years, from the early stuff being basically dark 2 step UK garage, to the mid-decade halfstep stuff, to now, where the people making the music most informed by the early days of the scene (which Burial very much is) avoid applying the term to themselves. You could start by familiarising yourself with all 7 volumes of Tempa's 'Dubstep Allstars' mix series, that will give you a pretty good understanding of how the scene has developed over the past six years.

Very early dubstep is much more exclusively dance music (rather than both dance music and headphone music as with more recent stuff) and a lot of it sounds kind of formulaic to my ears, but there's some good stuff to be had there too. 'The Roots of Dubstep' compilation on Tempa is worth a listen. Big Apple Records and Tempa are the most significant labels.

'Future garage' or 'future bass' is a term being thrown around now for the more adventurous elements of modern UKG-informed music, pretty much in a rebranding effort now that 'dubstep' has come to mean the kind of stuff you mention in your post in the mainstream consciousness. This is where it really gets interesting IMO:

Compilations:
Future Bass (Soul Jazz)
Worth the Weight - Bristol Dubstep Classics (Punch Drunk)
Deep Medi Releases Volume 1/2 (Deep Medi Musik)
5 Years of Hyperdub (Hyperdub)
Night Slugs Allstars Vol.1 (Night Slugs)

Labels:
Punch Drunk
Hotflush
Hyperdub
Deep Medi Musik
Hessle Audio
Apple Pips
Hemlock Recordings
Skull Disco
Tectonic
Night Slugs

YouTubes:
El B - Buck & Bury
Horsepower Productions - The Swindle
Digital Mystikz - Anti-War Dub
Skream - Midnight Request Line
Loefah - Mud
Mala - New Life Baby Paris
Martyn - Broken
Appleblim & Peverelist - Circling
2562 - Techno Dread
Joy Orbison - Hyph Mngo
Joker - Purple City
James Blake - CMYK
Hyetal & Shortstuff - Ice Cream
Egyptrixx - The Only Way Up
Untold - Just For You
Girl Unit - Wut

Maybe someone more knowledgeable than me can point you in the direction of good mixes to check out depending on which of this stuff you like, although really Google is your best friend here. Also, read the dubstep thread.

alpiger fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Dec 10, 2010