Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Femur posted:

I recently found Emilíana Torrini, and I was wondering if there are any similar artists out there. I just really found all her albums to be very enjoyable and love her voice and just her sound I guess. I especially liked the Fisherman's Woman and Love in the Time of Science albums.

You might like Belleruche, Regina Spektor, Emily Wells, Martina Topley-Bird, Andreya Triana.

Jadz posted:

Sounds a little spergy, I guess, but I like good metal music that I can understand, not just madness set to music.

You might like some of the post metal out there: Isis, Mouth of the Architect, Year of No Light, Tides from Nebula, Kollwitz, Waters Deep Here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canis minor
May 4, 2011

screaden posted:

I'm looking for some artists who perform with pretty much only piano and voice, with a little classical tinge. Regina Spektor and Rufus Wainwright are similar to what I'm looking for, but waaaay stripped back to just the piano. Preferably with a darker, more melancholy tone.

Antony and the Johnsons, though his voice needs getting used to - Hope there's someone. You also should definitely check out Soap&Skin - Thanatos. Besides that I can only think of perhaps Diana Krall (although it might be to jazzy).

-

A request: I truly enjoy The Books, where their music is rather coherent and not too "artistic" (think rather "Take Time", "Free Translator" than "Venice" or "That Right Ain't poo poo"). Of anything similar I know: l'Homme Puma (only a couple of songs sound like them though - and it's post-rock / screamo / wtf ;/), Animal Collective, Panda Bear (though their music is too lively, or fast for my taste), also Octopus Project, (which, apart from one song, sound definitely different, though is listed as one of the closest matches on last.fm).

So - I'm looking for slow music with a load of samples.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Sad Mammal posted:

The above tracks strike me as vaguely similar to World's End Girlfriend.

Edit: Presumably you already know Zammuto.

I know and even listen to World's End Girlfriend, though his music doesn't strike me as too similar, I don't know. Thumbs up though for Zammuto - I didn't know that he started doing a solo project of his own, and the resemblence between the electronica part of Books and this is uncanny, going to check him out more (it's a shame he dropped the recordings, because this + some more melody + people talking = :love:).

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Volvagia posted:

I'm a total scrub when it comes to anything metal related but lately I've been wanting to hear some really evil, unsettling music, and I'm betting there's black metal stuff out there I would really like. I like the more ambient-style stuff I've heard, ideally what I'm lookin for would sound like a mix of xasthur, sunn o))), lustmord, and I don't know, boards of canada maybe? Thanks!

Besides already mentioned Nadja I would add Swans and Jesu.

Amdis posted:

I'm looking for music along the lines of Emancipator/Nujabes/Quantic, just more chill out music with a jazzy/hip-hop beat to it.

You probably listened to Bonobo, so I'll recommend the same things as in Emancipator thread (but I would assume new trip-hop / downtempo bands should suit your needs as well):
Metaform, Glen Porter, Opgave, Eskmo, Epic45, Dirty Elegance, The New Law. As for jazzy bit I can recommend: Berry Weight, (maybe a stretch) Arms and Sleepers and Hidden Orchestra.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

I'm looking for more songs like this and this - I guess relaxing, slightly cheery post-rock, not too dramatic, with or without vocals. Does this make sense?

you're probably looking for K.C. Accidental, as this is the band Broken Social Scene grew from and the sound of KCA is evident in most of their post-rockish songs. Besides that the only similar band I can think of is Dirty Three.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Brace posted:

Michael Frank - Lotus Blossom

I need songs like this, or a place to find them. Really relaxing, soothing etc. Lyrics aren't necessary, genre doesn't really matter either but this is a really good example of a nice, calm song.

Let's see - right now it would be classified as new weird america, so I can recommend: The Oaks, Calexico, Iron & Wine, Plants & Animals, Destroyer. But, if you're looking for some relaxing music I would take into account either some post rock - Do, Make, Say, Think, Balmorhea, Dancing Beggar, or some drone - Stars of the Lid. I used to find good folk bands on KUT, but now can't get the grasp of the new design - so here's a youtube search.

unpurposed posted:

I'm really into artists like Amon Tobin and pretty much everyone under the Ninja Tune label. However, I'm not really sure how to classify the music that they make. I've heard Amon Tobin primarily called a DnB artist but others disagree.

Anyways, what are some good, for the lack of a better word, electronic artists along the same lines? I'm into Bonobo and started listening to some DeadMau5 (which people tend to look down on for some reason), but I want something really good in that general realm of music.

Take a look at Flying Lotus - though I'm not a fan of it, it's in similar veins as Amon Tobin. Besides that I'd say that every glitch/trip-hop artist lands under the wings of either Ninja Tune, or Warp, so, already mentioned Aphex Twin, but also Gonja Sufi, Prefuse 73, Autechre. You might also check Ous Mal

edit: forgot to mention - thanks to the person that mentioned Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - it's a great listen.

canis minor fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jul 2, 2011

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

Can anyone recommend me an electronic album that sounds like Gridlock's Formless? I guess it's sort of noisy ambient?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwBsIE_V8aw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1EvclXK57k&feature=related

I've never found anything quite as beautiful as this record and would like more.

Anything that sounds sort of alike might be Vladislav Delay Quartet

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Sad Mammal posted:

I've been on an Animal Collective tear lately, and I'd like to find something similar. What I like most is the "fun" folk/tribal vibe I get on tracks like "Tantrum Barb","Brother Sport", and the latter half of "Derek". I also like most of the outright folk they do, such as all the tracks on Campfire Songs and Winters Love. So, something that sounds less technical and more along the lines of a group of good friends banging/wailing on things. I haven't quite found what I'm looking for, though The Dodos do come pretty close.

You should take a look at what Beta Band was doing, and what The Aliens are now continuing. You probably already heard Grizzly Bear and Panda Bear, so maybe some -
Fleet Foxes, Bowerbirds, Telekinesis. What is your stand on The Shins?

canis minor
May 4, 2011

slowdave posted:

Can someone give me some good slow/sadcore recs? I'm mostly familiar with Low and Red House Painters/Sun Kil Moon/Mark Kozelek solo and a few Idaho and Codeine lps, plus American Music Club and Galaxie 500. What are some other similar bands?

Destroyer, Audiotransparent, Yo La Tengo, Arab Strap, Swans?
Also, as Labradford was mentioned I will drop Pan American (frankly, it's the same thing).

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Bubblegum Wishes posted:

I just learned what Bonobo is and I'm in love. What else is out there that is similar?

Edit: call me a retard for not knowing them all you want, the people at the bar already did that. Also I don't like thevery corporation or amon tolbin and I've heard lots of emancipator, i'm looking for something else.

He recorded with two main vocalists: Andreya Triana and Bajka, and their solo stuff is good as well, but for the rest of his stuff you may try Submotion Orchestra, The Q4, Metaform, Glen Porter, Pretty Lights and Berry Weight

canis minor
May 4, 2011

HateTheInternet posted:

Are there any good post-rock or mathrock bands out there with heavy emphasis on string instruments or mallet percussion? Orchestral instruments, I guess, as opposed to rock instruments.

I would say that Amiina and Esmerine are what you're looking for - Amiina use a lot of glockenspiel, glass harp, bells, violins and other riff-raff, Esmerine is mainly marimba / cello. Later on you can take a look at Bell Orchestre (a lot of bells, trumpets, cellos), older Efterklang, Dirty Three (violin, electric guitar, percussion), Balmorhea (guitars, cello, violin, banjo, drums), Black Ox Orkestar in that order, and if you grow bored I can recommend more.

I Love You! posted:

I've been digging Regina Spektor lately, both the vocals/overall sound and the general content of her songs. Where are some good places to go from her to get more like this or at least evocative of it? Specifically, her vocal style appeals to me, but I'll take any recommendations.

I've grown fond of Laura Veirs, and I must say that she plays similarly with her voice, maybe Emiliana Torrini - although she sounds definitely bjorkish.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Lavender Philtrum posted:

I really like Caravan Palace (Link, link), which is best described as 'Electroswing'. I also really enjoyed the Analogik album that I got ahold of. Here's a track that most exemplifies the kind of thing I like.
link.

You should check out Parov Stelar - he tends to go more in the direction of electronica, than swing, but I find his work enjoyable. You can also take a look at Waldeck - his work is more trip-hop / jazz, but swing is there as well.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Conduit for Sale! posted:

I'm looking for some drone/ambient music similar to Tim Hecker, Belong, Fennesz, Stars of the Lid, etc. but darker. Basically, I started reading Blood Meridian and none of my normal reading music is bleak enough.

Labradford, Pan American, The Dead Texan, Loscil, Aix Em Klemm - having said that, I think Labradford / Aix Em Klemm would mostly suit your needs as they're definitely less optimistic than Stars of the Lid, slower than Fennesz, quieter than Tim Hecker. There's 1 Mile North (which I also recommend, if you're not offed by speech samples), but if anything I'd say the collaboration they did with Colophon & Wind Up Bird - Conduction, Convention, Radiation comes close as well.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

twoski posted:

Maybe this thread can help me. I've fallen into a rut with music and i need more variety in my mix.

My tastes are a bit weird, in my opinion. I've recently been listening to Boards Of Canada, Mux Mool, Locust Toybox, Aphex Twin, Flying Lotus, etc. I used to never listen to electronic music, I just kind of eased into it. I had downloaded Boards Of Canada's Campfire Headphase and never actually listened to it for a year. Every once in a while it would come on via random shuffle and i'd listen to it. Eventually i became a huge fan and started delving into more electronic.

Amon Tobin, Battles, Squarepusher, The Field, The Fridge, Trentemoller, Tycho, Ulrich Schnauss, Undermathic
Venetian Snares.

I'd say, basing on your tastes, you should find Amon Tobin, Ulrich Schnauss, Undermathic and Venetian Snares the most acceptable, but other artists deserve their mention as well.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Eight Is Legend posted:

I need some chill trip-hop without any vocals (or very few) in the vein of Kid Loco for studying.

Arms and Sleepers, 1 Mile North, Hidden Orchestra, Berry Weight, K.C. Accidental, Blue States, Tosca, Peace Orchestra, Kruder & Dorfmeister, Laika. I would also recommend Rob Dougan (mostly remember for the "Clubbed to Death" track from Matrix), but he does sing some.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Martytoof posted:

Definitely a big Portishead fan so I already delve into trip-hop, I think the thing about Air is that they have a quiet pop-ish sound to their downtempo stuff. It's so maddeningly hard to articulate what makes Air "Air" other than that. They're very French :haw: Other than that they seem to be the perfect mix of lounge, downtempo, ambient, and electronic.

Thanks for the suggestions, definitely checking some of those out. I've been meaning to check out Morcheeba for some time now so I think I will :)

I'd recommend Blue States, Telepopmusik and Tycho. You might also be interested in old Royksopp sound.

If you'll enjoy Morcheeba, there's a lot more of trip-hop sound out there (Zero 7, Cinematic Orchestra, The Dining Rooms to name a few)

canis minor
May 4, 2011

aliencowboy posted:

I'm looking for some sort of nihilistic post-rock cowboy blues with a lot of slow, whining pedal steel guitar.

I'm not quite sure what that means, but maybe you'll find this to your liking:
Grails, Kammerflimmer Kollektief, Balmorhea, Japancakes, Dirty Three, Crippled Black Phoenix, Valley of Giants.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Sad Mammal posted:

I'm looking for stuff similar to Animal Collective and Zap Mama: African (or African-influenced) music that has chant-like vocals.

If Animal Collective, then definitely Panda Bear and Deakin, probably A Sunny Day in Glasgow.

African oriented: Tinariwen, Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, Tamikrest.

Sadly I don't know anything that combines both - it's rather one or another.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Currently I can't get Django Django - Default out of the loop. Is there more music like it (and quite frankly what genre would you call this)?

I'm already familiar with Beta Band, The Aliens and Caribou.

And unrelated, second request - are there any bands you can recommend that use harmonica (but are not restricted to it)? Mainly I'd be interested with something akin to Moriarty, but no country please.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Meeks Sisu posted:

Looking for some recommendations for rock music that has diverse instrumentation (like strings, piano, and horns). Something in the vein of Arcade Fire or The Protomen to name two bands that I've enjoyed recently.

I feel this is a trick.

Beirut, Broken Social Scene, Built to Spill, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, DeVotchKa, Grizzly Bear, Gomez, Fleet Foxes, MGMT, The Shins, Travis, Wolf Parade, Vampire Weekend, Yo La Tengo.

(+ funny option = Efterklang with strings / pianos and horns that's very unlike to bands you mentioned :) )

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Reason posted:

Can anyone recommend some folksy sounding stuff where people just flip the gently caress out on instruments other than guitar. I want some face melting accordion, and banjo and cello all at once. I'm thinking like O'Death the cd Broken Hymns or Gogol Bordello.

Again I'll recommend Beirut and DeVotchKa (they're calmer than Gogol Bordello though you might like them). Additionally - Goran Bregović, Emir Kusturica & The No Smoking Orchestra, Balkan Beat Box, Kultur Shock, Manu Chao.

Blazing Ownager posted:

I'm looking for a bit of an odd recommendation, because it's a genre I really like and is rare as all hell: "Updated" Spaghetti Western music, mixed with another genre - most often rock, metal or industrial overtones but I'm pretty open.

A great example would be a couple of the short tracks on the Escape from LA soundtrack. I've been fortunate enough to run across this sub-genre a few other times, but generally only a song here or there, or part of a song.. never something approaching an album or band that does this sort of thing.

So yeah. Basically I'm looking for anything that's a unique take on the kind of music you might hear in The Good The Bad and the Ugly or films of that ilk. I'd really love it if it had an almost sci-fi'ish vibe to it; there were times it got close to this with the Firefly/Serenity soundtracks, but despite the whole theme, it was still very, very rare.

Take a look at what The New Law are doing - it's wild west oriented downtempo / electronica, so it might be what you're searching after (or it might not, as when I put on LA soundtrack I'd think you should listen to some instrumental NIN, especially taking into account industrial overtones, idk). For more traditional (this time post rock wibe) cowboy sound there's Valley of Giants.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Master_Odin posted:

^^ Screaming Females perhaps?

Does anyone know good electro-jazz? Just got told about The Real Tuesday Weld, Caravan Palace and Parov Stelar, and well, I like the mix of new and old and want to find more.

You probably heard about Wolf Myer Orchestra, but along the same lines there are: Waldeck, Belleruche, De Phazz. I'd also recommend Skalpel - they do electro-jazz as well, but it's definitely calmer than Parov Stelar.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

csidle posted:

I am in dire need of some piano music that would go well as background music for studying. I would use Jazz (The Fragrance of Dark Coffee in particular), but my neighbours disagree with my subwoofer and the basslines in jazz songs, given that I tend to study very late at night. (I intend to replacing the subwoofer with a more modest solution)

1 Mile North, Arms and Sleepers, Balmorhea, Bell Orchestra, Ben Frost & Daniel Bjarnason, David Newlyn, Deaf Center, Esmerine, Fennesz & Sakamoto, Grails, Halo of Pendor - that's it, for now. My personal favourite at the moment is Peter Broderick - Music for Confluence

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Taeke posted:

Having rediscovered Sigur Ros a month ago and watching We Bought A Zoo this evening, I realised that I have a craving for more such music. I already know the Sigur Ros frontman has his own project as Jónsi. I don't know all that much about music. Hell, I don't even know what to call the genre.

They're labeled as post-rock, but I'd differ with this classification, especially taking into account their latest album (+ Jónsi's "solo" work). The best bet to find music similar to Sigur Rós is within Iceland: Amiina (which for some time was a supporting group for Sigur Rós), Ólafur Arnalds, Stafrænn Hákon, Múm. Additionaly I'd recommend Ef, The Album Leaf and Álfheimr. As such there's lots of bands playing post-rock, but none implementing Jónsi's vocals (well - on the other hand this is a gimmick of Sigur, and even Alfheimr, though trying to find it's own voice, is pushing my buttons because of this) - if you're interested, you can take a look at some similar (post rock) groups, to name a few: Yndi Halda, Eluvium, Esmerine, Tracer AMC, Deaf Center, Helios, Hands of Templar, Immanu El, James Blackshaw, Her Name Is Calla.

foastwab posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSfncSgAk7E

I'm not even sure what genre this is, but if anyone knows of anything similar to Department of Eagles, I'd be super appreciative.

The last time I've listened to Department of Eagles they were playing folk (but that was in their beginnings[?] at route 61) - as such, thanks for this, as they've definitely improved their repertoire moving towards folktronica. Still I'm not good at naming genres, so off to similar: Bowerbirds, Dirty Projectors (but that's more along Animal Collective...), The Dodos, Fleet Foxes?

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Ninogan posted:

I'm a really big fan of The White Stripes and now that they are no more and will not make any new songs I'm trying to find stuff that sounds like they do.

Their music is quite different from the earlier albums to the later so what I'm looking for more precisely is music that sounds sort of like this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-t1_ETuWIbE

Other projects of Jack White? The Ranconteurs, The Dead Weather (and from that it's close to The Kills)

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Benjamin Black posted:

Jeez, a little too atmospheric. Some of this stuff is barely music. Any other suggestions?

Groove Salad?

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

Try Scorn, especially the albums Logghi Barroghi and Gyral

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjqrQprgUtI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRKgGrdW1s8

These are great!

FauxCyclops posted:

You guys are loving awesome, thanks.

Keep them coming if anyone has more!

I think you'll find Team Sleep enjoyable.

Going through my music list I've tried to take into account trip-hop most of all, so, based on your description, something along the lines of Portishead:

Antenne, first two Archive albums, Crustation, mmpsuf, Nourish My Fame.

Stepping ouside the trip hop genre we have - Arms and Sleepers, Mount Fujii Doomjazz Corporation, Rob Dougan, Amon Tobin.

edit: as I apparently can't see difference between band and album name

canis minor fucked around with this message at 11:40 on May 9, 2012

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Recently I've been listening to Idiot Pilot first album - Strange We Should Meet Here. While I don't listen to screamo, I found this album to be nicely balanced between electronica, pop and the aforementioned yelling. Are there any other bands that do similar stuff?
Looking at last.fm gives me as top similar (from what I recognize) Team Sleep, Everything is Made in China, which sound nothing alike, and Daniel Anderson's Glowbug which is Idiot Pilot's Wolves gone surf rock/glam/weird. Help!

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Thanks! Milemarker isn't exactly what I'm looking for, though it does scratch mine trip hoppy / punk itch as well, so am going to investigate it further (gave Frigid Forms Sell You Warmth a listen).

Brainiac is just plain too weird :)

Cyberia posted:

Morcheeba, Massive Attack, Enigma, Enya

Ok, you're me and, frankly, I don't know what to recommend, as the list is long. The trip hoppy favourites then!

Archive (up till Noise), Arms and Sleepers, Hidden Orchestra, Terranova, Phantogram, Blue States

canis minor
May 4, 2011

SilkyP posted:

Hey I'm looking for some ambient/electronic music with Indian (from India) undertones. Anything like this exist?

Give Govinda a try - it's definitely electronic and Indian. If more ambient / trip-hoppy thing is what you're after, you might take a look at Banmarsh & Shri, Kaya Project and maybe Thievery Corporation.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

feedmyleg posted:

Terrible request, but does anyone have any good songs that are comparable to loving on the Dance Floor by Dirty Sanchez? Just gross, overly sexual electro? Transvestites aside. Or even electro-inspired pop? It's not a particularly good song but something about it just gets me.

e: Bonus points for being really bitchy.

You're looking for E-Rotic. Oh, the 90s...

canis minor
May 4, 2011

poop device posted:

Any recommendations for something like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9xgKNgW7FA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Classified as folk but pandora and last.fm have been little/no help.

The only thing it reminds me of is Moriarty.

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I want something that can put me in another world the likes of Brian Eno's-Apollo, but more pop like The Antlers'-Undersea EP, or The xx.
That slow, cold groove thing, you know?

Edit: Also stuff like Yo La Tengo's early work.

Low, Foals, Alt-J, SBTRKT, James Blake?

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Haven't heard earlier about Bohren & der Club of Gore, but I see it will visit my playlist soon. I'm more familiar with two others though, thus - let's begin with Mount Fuji Doomjazz Corporation (while being an alter-ego of Kilimanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble I've encountered people that know of one, but not the other), Skalpel, Off the Jazz Street (definitely less noir), Kammerflimmer Kollektief (definitely more livelier and energetic). There's also Deaf Center (post-rock piano in the same mood), Arms and Sleepers(which I found to be similar to Hidden Orchestra and quite enjoyable), Portico Quartet (electronic and, again, faster).

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Suspicious Dish posted:

I've sort of been getting into Electroswing and that sort of area of music lately. So far, I've found and liked Parov Stelar, Caravan Palace, Mr. Scruff, Free The Robots, and Wagon Christ. Pandora/Last.fm/Grooveshark Radio recommended things like Goldfish and Sound Providers. I like everything about those but the lyrics.

I'd like to use this as a backing track while I work, so if there's any vocals, I'd like for them to be either "la la"s, very obvious looped samples, or in a foriegn language, which I can easily tune out of. I'd like it to be a bit upbeat, so anything below 95BPM or so is too slow for me.

Taking a look at last.fm and the bands I listen to:

Waldeck (although it's more swing, than electro), Kormac (which is glitch Parov Stelar sound), Belleruche (more jazzy, with vocals). Club des Belugas is more bossanova, Yonderboy is more electro, Diablo Swing Orchestra is more metal/opera combination (I mention these as some additional, non-swingy stuff you might enjoy).

edit: also Goodnight Circus

canis minor fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Aug 30, 2012

canis minor
May 4, 2011

fookolt posted:

Are there any other women-fronted groups with big, almost-orchestral layers of instrumentation like Florence and the Machine?

Tracks like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZweDwbJ_Ic

I also like Chairlift, although they use much sparser arrangements in their instrumentation.

I recently fell in love with Beth Jeans Houghton & The Hooves of Destiny, which, at least to me, is more livier version of Florence. Otherwise Bat for Lashes. Also, seconding Imogen Heap, and if she catches your attention, Juana Molina.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Enter Char posted:

I'm looking for some stuff similar to this:

Emancipator
or
Talkdemonic

Basically string instruments with other instrumentation layered on.

Bonobo, Pretty Lights, Metaform, Blockhead, Glen Porter, A Dancing Beggar, Helios, Kinack, Epic45

canis minor
May 4, 2011

acumen posted:

I'm looking for the sort of epic, twenty minute space rocky sort of stuff that makes you feel like you're travelling through galaxies and nebulae and visiting space stations and poo poo.

I can't really come up with anything other than some Pink Floyd and Muse tracks. Any help?

For me this sounds like you're looking for God is an Astronaut.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

This is more a conversation piece than a "who I need to hear", but bear with me.

Can anyone name some other bands that have like, a period inwhich they are so amazingly prolific it's almost hard to keep up? I have 5, I'm curious who else applies.

The Smiths - 4 albums in 4 years, enough singles and B-sides to fill another 2.
Stereolab - a band with as many compilations of their B-sides and 7" as proper albums
Blur - the new 21 box set is a testament to just how damned much music they recorded, every album has another disc full of B-sides and non-album singles
Pavement - the 2 disc versions of all of their albums bear this out
The Smashing Pumpkins - after Siamese Dream, an outtakes/b-sides collection, then a double album, from which each single had an EP worth of material

I'm curious if there are other bands that did this. Bands where there are albums, but so, so, so much more. Nothing more than a curiosity here.

e: prolific can simply mean lots of albums - all of my examples are b-sides, but if someone's just straight releasing a lot of albums, that counts. Hell, The Beatles.

How about Merzbow - 350 recordings according to wiki, though I'd say it's more

edit: removed some divagation

canis minor fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Dec 17, 2012

canis minor
May 4, 2011

feedmyleg posted:

What's some unabashedly happy music? Specifically of the indie-folk variety.

My music collection is filled with mopey stuff (Mountain Goats, The xx and the like) and I've been in an uncharacteristically good mood lately.

The Go! Team, Architecture in Helsinki?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Kart Barfunkel posted:

What are some dope-rear end sample-based albums in the vein of Endtroducing and Donuts?

Kid Koala, Prefuse 73, The Q4, Blockhead, RJD2, Herbaliser, Wax Tailor, Nightmares on Wax, Chinese Man. Also, my personal favourites With Joyful Lips and Ori.

Having said that probably RJD2 Deadringer, Blockhead Uncle Tony's Coloring Book or Wax Tailor concept album Dusty Rainbow from the Dark is what you're looking for.