Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Does anyone have any recommendations for the more obscure end of Tamla Motown? I'm familiar with all the big names (Supremes, Temptations, Four Tops, Miracles, Marvin Gaye etc) but the only less well-known artist I think I've ever sought out has been Junior Walker, who I got into at a time when I was heavily into Otis Redding era Stax and the British blues thing, and didn't really appreciate Motown as I've come to more recently.

Not looking for any particular standout style (like Junior Walker); I'm just curious about the "deep cuts".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sociopastry posted:

I like really strong vocals the best, so that's why I asked for those. I usually listen to a lot of symphonic metal and sing-songwriter (as long as they're not like, super breathy, I hate that.). But I got sick of my music library being like, 80% dudes.

How familiar are you with Heart? They have their "Led Zeppelin with a female singer" period in the 1970s, and their "Def Leppard and/or Journey with a female singer" era in the 1980s, but Ann Wilson delivered consistently good vocal performances either way, and they usually had fine melodies.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sociopastry posted:

I love me some Heart!

In that case, I'm going to suggest a band called Romeo's Daughter, a melodic rock band with a female lead vocalist who released two albums (one in 1988, a second in 1993) and were produced by Mutt Lange. Both have been remastered and reissued in the last five years or so by Rock Candy Records.

Off the top of my head, there's also Lee Aaron, Fiona Flanagan and Robin Beck (who is married, I believe, to James Christian from House of Lords) for eighties melodic hard rock / pop rock singers. It's been ages since I was into this stuff, admittedly, but I recall they were along the lines of Cher's late-eighties come-back (when Michael Bolton, Jon Bon Jovi and Diane Warren were writing songs for her, basically).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Actually, I'm trying to clear out some of my CD collection, so on the off-chance you're in the UK, I'd be happy to let you have those Romeo's Daughter albums.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How is Clarence Carter's post-Atlantic work? I tend to find that most of the Motown, Stax and Atlantic artists who were big in the 1960s were never able to match anything they did on those labels after they left them.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe you could try Aloe Blacc and Miguel. Frank Ocean is highly regarded but I'm not as well-acquainted with him.

Confessions by Usher, obviously.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm mostly into Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings and the Daptone roster more generally for post-2000 R&B music; I enjoy the retro kind of sound it has, because that's what I'm into at the moment.

Be sure to check out Jill Scott, and also Erykah Badu's live album.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've been reading Soulsville USA: The Story of Stax Records by Rob Bowman, and it's pretty great. Can anyone recommend any other books about the music industry (whether it's about a genre or a record company) that's particularly good?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Night Ranger is hair metal - I'd have thought they'd be pretty far from the Smiths.

Maybe I've missed something.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Dick Dale is definitely the guy you want to go to for classic surf rock. Maybe look into Duane Eddy, too; not exactly surf music, but certainly an influence.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sprint posted:

Looking for a good entry point into Motown, be it a singles compilation or particular artist's album. I hear a few songs now and again and always come away blown away by the drumming.

There's a three CD set called Tamla Motown Gold: The Sound of Young America which covers most of the main hits from "Money (That's What I Want)" through to some of the Rare Earth stuff from the 1970s. I have two Motown collections and it's definitely the better of the two.

Since Motown was overwhelmingly concerned with singles rather than albums (albums didn't really become a big deal in R&B music in general until Isaac Hayes did Hot Buttered Soul in 1969 and single-handedly proved that there was an audience for them), if you're interested in particular artists, you'd be best to pick out their greatest hits collections. Most of the big names have entries in Universal's "Gold" series, which are two disc career retrospectives with around 40 songs or so. The most significant "album artists" Motown had were Stevie Wonder and Marvin Gaye, and then only in the 1970s.

If you're interested in some of the "deeper cuts" I'd recommend trying Jimmy Ruffin, the Contours, Junior Walker and the All-Stars and Chris Clark's first album (but not her second album - if I recall correctly, it was mostly psychedelic pop rubbish; harpsichords and stuff. For what it's worth, they're both compiled on Chris Clark: The Motown Collection). Also check out the Chairmen of the Board - they're not Tamla Motown themselves, but they were "masterminded" by Holland-Dozier-Holland after they left Motown.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 13:09 on May 30, 2015

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Question for anyone who's knowledgeable about early rock and roll / New Orleans R&B - did Larry Williams only record the one album? I see there's a live album he did with Johnny "Guitar" Watson in the mid-sixties, but did he only have the one studio LP?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Disharmony posted:

Can anyone recommend some quasi-popular 80s bands/albums? Just heard the Virgins and Philistines album by The Colourfields the other day and I thought it was terrific, same with "Slave to Love" by Bryan Ferry; all of which went past my 80s radar.

Dexys Midnight Runners - there's a lot more to them than "Come On Eileen". It's hard to recommend a specific album, because the three they did in the 1980s were complete reinventions each time. The first one (Searching For the Young Soul Rebels) is along the lines of Stax Records by way of the Northern England soul clubs; the second one (Too-Rye-Aye) is the one with "Come On Eileen" and adds all these Celtic melodies and timbres; and the third (Don't Stand Me Down) was their experimental, expansive, progressive album, and pretty difficult to quantify.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Does anyone have any general recommendations for retro-influenced contemporary soul artists? I'm thinking of stuff along the lines of Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings, even Amy Winehouse. that sort of thing.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Major Isoor posted:

Hi all, I've been listening to Def Leppard (also a bit of Europe) lately and have been seeing if I can any other similar bands/music - particularly songs that are similar to DL's 'Pour Some Sugar on Me', which took me by surprise after being somewhat dubious of its title when I first looked it. :D
So yeah, can anyone give me some other band/song suggestions, that are similar to this? Not necessarily with all the sexual innuendo, etc. or even male vocals - just the general sound/riffs, really.
Thanks

Warrant (first three albums - Dirty Rotten Filthy Stinking Rich, Cherry Pie and Dog Eat Dog), Winger (first two albums - Winger and In the Heart of the Young) are the two bands I think of as the American version of Def Leppard, so you might like to try those.

Waking Up the Neighbours by Bryan Adams is basically a Def Leppard album (produced by Mutt Lange and everything). It's the one with the interminable Robin Hood song on it. If you can find the first two Romeo's Daughter albums, you might like to check those out; also produced by Lange, with Leppard-style production, but a female lead vocalist.

It's all melodic rock / AOR stuff (Journey, Foreigner, Boston), really, which I used to like. My favourite album in that category is Vital Signs by Survivor, but it's different from Def Leppard. Rock Candy Records does tons of remastered reissues for the genre.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Major Isoor posted:

Thanks! I'll check these out when I get a moment, later on. The more suggestions the better, I say! :D (also nice userID)

Kiss in the 1980s (from Creatures of the Night in 1982 through to Revenge in1992 - the "no make-up" period) went for the same kind of sound. Tesla was very influenced by Def Leppard and opened for them when they were touring Hysteria. Have you listened to Pyromania by Def Leppard yet? It's definitely their best album.

Take a look at Night Ranger and drat Yankees (the latter was a supergroup which included Tommy Shaw from Styx, Jack Blades from the aforementioned Night Ranger, and Ted Nugent). Absolutely listen to Gary Moore's solo output up as far as After the War.

I can mention a bunch of more obscure ones. Coney Hatch, Honeymoon Suite (both Canadian), Y&T, Diving For Pearls, Heaven's Edge, Balance, Streets (Steve Walsh's band after he left Kansas), Drive She Said, Speedway Boulevard (featuring a very young Jordan Rudess on keyboards), Lionheart, Praying Mantis, Vardis (all sort of "melodic NWOBHM" along the lines of the first DL album), Little Angels, maybe Thunder and Terrorvision and Blue Murder (first album at least).

A couple of more recent (ie. started in the last five years) bands from Britain who play melodic rock are Vega, Serpentine and the Treatment. You might like to try them as well.

There's probably more, but that's all that comes to mind at the moment. There's a few mainstream ones I've not mentioned, and a bunch I've just forgotten. As I say, I used to be into this stuff (an embarrassing chapter of my late teenage years). I had a subscription to Classic Rock Presents AOR magazine and everything.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jul 7, 2015

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Hedrigall posted:

I'm talking solid rock with horns, and jazzy/bluesy influence. Would prefer recent/current bands. NOT SKA!!!!!!!

Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings, maybe?

Vintage Trouble does a combination of sixties soul music with seventies rock music - no horns, IIRC, but they might be worth checking out.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is anything Little Richard recorded after he left Specialty particularly worth checking out?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I was listening to some Sam Cooke albums earlier and they got me feeling pretty disappointed. He was an amazing soul singer and he did record two or three really good albums (the best being Night Beat and Live at the Harlem Square Club, 1963) and loads of great singles, but depressingly, a lot more of his recorded output than should have been was just gutless pop standards and Broadway fluff, buried under all these harps and string orchestras to the extent that they sometimes end up sounding like something out of a Disney animated movie from the 1940s. Aside from the songs he wrote himself (of which there were fortunately many) there was little that I think really matched his talent.

Anyway, I'd like to request any recommendations in general from the same era (the 1960s pre-British Invasion) which are in the same broad rhythm and blues / early soul / rock and roll category but without being MOR drowning in its own production or anything. I'm thinking along the lines of Gary U.S. Bonds and "Quarter To Three".

(Bit vague / broad, sorry.)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Ah, I'm into both of those artists already. Most of my CD collection is stuff like that, really. I'm into all the Stax and Atlantic stuff, as well as some Motown (mostly difficult because a lot of the Motown albums are hard to find on CD), which is why that Sam Cooke live album appeals to me as much as it does. A lot of what I look for now is admittedly on the more obscure end of the spectrum; the sort of thing that went out on labels like Okeh and Sue in the 1960s.

I guess the problem is that there doesn't really seem like there's a whole lot left that I haven't heard yet. I am bitterly, bitterly disappointed by those Sam Cooke albums - far more so than I should be, if I'm honest, because let's face it, it's only pop music. They just feel like an egregious waste of his talent; the albums he recorded toward the end of his life (Night Beat, Mr Soul, Ain't That Good News etc) are, as I noted, broadly speaking much better, but it's disappointing that they came so late in his career.

(I appreciate this post and the last one aren't really in the ambit of this thread, but in the absence of a general music chat thread I feel like I need to put it somewhere.)

(Mitch Ryder also recorded an album where he sang MOR slush backed by a string orchestra for a whole side of it - it is also risible.)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

dee eight posted:

I can forgive (and forget) the slush in the light of the good stuff, but I completely understand the disappointment.

Yeah, I mean, I don't dislike that kind of Great American Songbook thing - I like it when Sinatra does it, and I like it when Ella Fitzgerald does it. And Ray Charles is an artist who recorded good music after he "went middle-of-the-road" or whatever you want to call it. But for whatever reason, I just can't seem to feel it with Sam Cooke. I guess it's because I knew his singles and that terrific live album before I tried his wider discography, and it just didn't feel like the "real" Cooke to me. I knew that Cooke did loads of MOR stuff for a while but I don't think I'd anticipated just how pervasive it was in his discography. Like, just about all four of his Keen albums, then around half his RCA albums were all in the trad pop style. There's stories about how Sam Cooke was able to blow Little Richard off the stage when they toured Britain on the same bill in the early sixties, but you wouldn't have known it from his albums. And then, of course, there's Live At the Harlem Square Club and later albums like Night Beat showing you exactly what he was capable of and it becomes doubly disappointing. I'd have been better off just getting The Best of Sam Cooke, to be honest.

Still, I suppose it's probably not quite as disappointing as the Coasters album where they did Tin Pan Alley songs.

Edit: Oo-err, that's a lot of words about oldies music. :v: Sorry, I feel passionately about my music, as you can probably tell. :shobon:

quote:

The only other thing that comes to mind at this moment is stuff like the Marvelettes or the Shirelles. Got girl groups on my mind I guess.

Sure, that's something I'd be keen to try. I love Amy Winehouse and she was influenced by all those pre-Beatles girl groups.

If you like "Quarter To Three" check out the album Do You Love Me (Now That I Can Dance) by the Coasters if you aren't already familiar with it - with the possible exception of Junior Walker and the All-Stars' recordings, there is no other Motown album quite like it. I would also recommend (just as a freebie :)) a trio of fairly obscure British R&B bands from the same era - Simon Dupree & the Big Sound (who later became Gentle Giant), Zoot Money's Big Roll Band and Cliff Bennett & the Rebel Rousers. I'm into all that sort of thing as well.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Oct 7, 2015

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I discovered all three because they were stated influences of Dexys Midnight Runners, of all bands. That first Dexys album is one of my favourites. :D The whole retro soul thing is what I was into in my last few years at school, when I a) started taking my saxophone playing a bit more seriously; b) saw The Blues Brothers for the first time; and c) discovered bands like the Specials, Secret Affair, Ian Dury & the Blockheads and Dexys Midnight Runners who were all popular when my mum and dad were my age. I sort of lost touch with it for a few years in university when I decided I'd try learning guitar and started listening to AOR of all things (Journey, Boston, Foreigner, REO Speedwagon, Def Leppard, Bon Jovi and a whole ton of obscurities), but more recently I realised that music didn't mean anything to me, so in the past year or so I got back into the stuff I used to follow, and also rediscovered all the old soul and R&B stuff I used to love, and also new bands and new artists.

All those British Invasion era albums are treasure troves in the "you might also like" sense - you just look at who they were covering and look them out. I'm pretty sure I never would have discovered the Soul Sisters if Cliff Bennett & the Rebel Rousers and the Spencer Davis Group hadn't covered "I Can't Stand It".

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jeremy_X posted:

Looking for instrumental funk or other groove oriented music like Parliament-Funkadelic minus all vocals, anyone got any ideas?

Maceo Parker's solo albums. The first one I listened to was Funkoverload. It's pretty good. My favourite is Life On Planet Groove.

If you're willing to go back a decade before Parliament-Funkadelic, you might enjoy Booker T. & the MG's or King Curtis & the Kingpins (the two best groups of musicians in the R&B genre during the 1960s). They predate "funk" in the George Clinton vein but they were incredibly groove-oriented.

Don't really know much about bass. I appreciate the bass guitar playing on the first Specials album (especially on the song "Nite Klub") and Too Much Pressure by the Selecter, but I don't play bass so I don't know how good it actually is.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm into the 2 Tone and mod revival stuff - the new wave period immediately after punk but before it all went bands with synths, frilly shirts and silly haircuts - but I'd be keen on recommendations for American bands which played a similar sort of style in the same period. The only one I'm familiar with is the Pretenders and then only their first album. Ta.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Katana Gomai posted:

This is a question which is really hard to google so I figured maybe this would be a good place to ask. I'm an English teacher (in Germany) and one of the topics in the 11th grade is "Multicultural Britain". I'm looking for (a) song(s) by a British singer or band which my students can analyze with regard to the depiction of multicultural Britain presented therein. My students are ~18 years old so lyrics can be as explicit as I want them to, but the song should be worthy of examination in class. To give you an example, one of my textbooks recommends "home" by Bloc Party but I don't want to use it since it's probably too far removed from my students. If any Brits could help me out, I'd appreciate it a lot.

Are you familiar with the Specials or the Selecter? Try the self-titled album by the Specials. They were conceived as a multicultural band, and their music and message were explicitly multicultural; they were a skinhead band that combined punk with ska and wanted to prevent the skinhead revival from being hijacked by the National Front and the British Movement.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

WickedHate posted:

Looking for some blues, blues rock.

Some blues albums everyone should try:

Hoodoo Man Blues (Junior Wells)

Stand Back! Here Comes Charley Musselwhite's South Side Band and Tennessee Woman (Charlie Musselwhite)

West Side Soul (Magic Sam)

Chicago/The Blues/Today! Vols. 1-3 (Various) - which should be in anyone's album collection.

Those are all electric Chicago blues albums. They're just some that occur to me off the top of my head (I listen to more of what you would probably call R&B than straight blues) but they're all very good.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
You might enjoy Steel Pulse or Aswad.

I like Prince Buster and I like the Skatalites, though they're more ska than reggae.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm interested in general recommendations for old-school gospel stuff along the lines of Sister Rosetta Tharpe.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've heard some of Little Richard's gospel stuff and it's decent for what it is, but I'd like it better if he'd brought any of the energy or fervour he had in his rock songs. (I think he'd decided that rock music was evil at the time, so he was consciously avoiding having any rock-ish elements in his stuff.)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

guppy posted:

I have and really love The Exciting Wilson Pickett. A lot of the other artists I think of as soul (Al Green, e.g.) aren't really the same kind of stuff. What else should I listen to? Aretha is great but already on my radar.

I've got tons. Here's some artists I love, with album suggestions in parentheses:

Sam and Dave (Hold On, I'm Comin', Double Dynamite, Soul Men and I Thank You), Don Covay (Mercy! and See-Saw), Rufus Thomas (Walkin' the Dog), Arthur Conley (Sweet Soul Music, Shake, Rattle & Roll and Soul Directions), the Contours (Do You Love Me (Now That I Can Dance)), Darrell Banks (Darrell Banks Is Here!), Mitch Ryder & the Detroit Wheels (Take A Ride, Breakout! and Sock It To Me!), Bob Kuban & the In-Men (Look Out for the Cheater and The Bob Kuban Explosion), the Young Rascals (The Young Rascals and Collections), Solomon Burke (Rock N' Soul is my all-time favourite album), J. J. Jackson (J. J. Jackson a.k.a. But It's Alright).

Otis Redding, of course; any of his albums but especially Otis Blue and Complete and Unbelievable: The Otis Redding Dictionary of Soul. More from Wilson Pickett - The Wicked Pickett and The Sound of Wilson Pickett are must-listens.

I'm very keen on Georgie Fame & the Blue Flames and Zoot Money's Big Roll Band. They were British R&B bands from the 1960s but they performed American R&B very sincerely.

There's probably a lot more I could mention but I guess that's quite a lot as it is.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

FadingChord posted:

Wheat Loaf's post is great (thanks Wheat Loaf, I've loaded up a giant playlist because of that). I'd also tack on Ike and Tina Turner's work together; it's never really completely clicked for me, but I think it would if I gave it more time and it's undeniably high-quality music.

You are more than welcome. There's more I could recommend - I was basically reading off my

I'm actually surprised with myself for not recommending anything by Ike & Tina, because it's good stuff. I guess it's because their 1960s discography is a bit of a tangle and it's tough to identify a really definitive album like it is with most of their contemporaries.

quote:

I haven't found anybody running around today that quite does the manic Wilson Pickett/James Brown "holy poo poo this band is a well-coordinated train that could run off the tracks at any point" experience (it might not be the best way to describe it, but there's a sheer velocity in their music that's pretty rare), but I have been trying to find a modern soul artist or group to rally around for a while. I don't think I've quite hit it, but you might want to try some or all of the following:

I'm actually not so familiar with a lot of these guys beyond Sharon Jones and Leon Bridges, so thanks very much for mentioning them (I'm impressed by that James Bay song because my impression of him was that he'd be a sort of "real music" bore-lord like Jake Bugg or somebody else the NME loves). Are you familiar at all with Eli "Paperboy" Reed? Here's a (old) clip of him performing on Later With Jools Holland. His first three albums (Walkin' and Talkin', Roll With You and Come and Get It) are retro soul revivalist stuff. I quite like them. His most recent one is more along the lines of Mark Ronson or John Newman, which is a sound I certainly like, but isn't really the same thing. I think the new album he has out this year is going back to his original style (sample).

There's also Vintage Trouble - probably more on the blues rock end of the spectrum but they have a lot of 1960s soul influences. Charles Bradley is a Daptone guy who's been around since the 1960s but only started recording seriously in the past 10 years.

I often feel as though a lot of the ska groups who used to run around America could have been what you're looking for, if they hadn't been quite so juvenile. I'm not really mad about bands like Reel Big Fish, but I have a lot of time for the more R&B and 2 Tone-influenced groups like the Toasters and so on who were on Moon Ska Records in the 1990s.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Apr 16, 2016

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Major Isoor posted:

So yeah, needless to say, I don't listen to their musical advice so much anymore. :D But yeah, so any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Hell, not necessarily just for metal, either - if anyone happens to think of some '80s rock bands that I might like listening to (main ones from memory being Def Leppard, Queen, Poison, Fastway, as well as some Europe, Twisted Sister, Night Ranger, Great White, Queensryche and Ratt. Likely missing quite a few though)

The first two Winger albums are good pop-metal if that's what you're into. And the first three Warrant ones. Maybe listen to Gary Moore's solo albums from around 1978 to 1990 too. There was a British band called FM who played AOR style and were pretty good at it.. Their keyboardist was called "Didge Digital".

I imagine there's a lot more I could name on the more obscure end. Autograph; House of Lords; Giuffria; Paul Sabu; Heaven's Edge; Diving For Pearls; Hardline; Streets; drat Yankees; the Dan Reed Network; Romeo's Daughter; Honeymoon Suite; Jeff Paris; all sorts.

I used to be into all that, but I'm not any more. I've gone off it. But there's probably more I could name. If you want more of that, GloryDaze Music and Heavy Harmonies are the websites to check out. Rock Candy Records is a British label set up by a bunch of music journalists who used to work for Kerrang! way back when that reissues a lot of this stuff.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Beeswax posted:

Someone recommend me some bonafide soul belters like uh... Red Light Spells Danger by Billy Ocean. Uptempo, strong chorus, strings and all of that jazz.

It sounds to me like you're looking for some northern soul. There's tons of great compilations you can check out, but I would recommend either of the Move On Up albums, which are pretty comprehensive, or the four Northern Soul Story sets (respectively, The Twisted Wheel, The Golden Torch, Blackpool Mecca and Wigan Casino).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
You might enjoy Suede. Comparable to Oasis in some respects, but they're a bit more Bowie than Beatles.

I quite like Kula Shaker.

The first Stone Roses album isn't quite Britpop but it was one of Noel Gallagher's biggest influences so you might like to try it if you haven't heard it already.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

quadrophrenic posted:

does anyone know of any post-wwII classic pop and/or pop-country music that sounds way ahead of its time? i'm thinking like poo poo your grandma listens to. eddy arnold and whatnot.

Maybe Johnny "Guitar" Watson's mid-50s work? He's best known for being a funkster in the 70s and he did soul in the 60s, but in the 1950s he was doing stuff that was pretty much light years ahead of its time. Like, Hendrix stuff about a decade before Hendrix had even done major session work, much less had a hit record.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
In the absence of a general music chat and / or general R&B or soul thread, I'm going to note the very sad news that Wayne Jackson of the Memphis Horns has died at the age of 74. As a trumpeter, he was a stalwart of Stax Records, and with his friend Andrew Love went on to play on a range of popular records after their time at that great label ended.

In addition to the 1960s Stax material, he played on records like "Sweet Caroline", "Suspicious Minds" and "Sledgehammer" by Peter Gabriel, among many others. A great musician who will be sorely missed.

Consequently, I recommend that everyone check out some Stax stuff from the 1960s and have a listen to the horn lines, because they all tell these great little stories. Check out Otis Blue: Otis Redding Sings Soul and Complete and Unbelievable: The Otis Redding Dictionary of Soul by Otis Redding, Soul Man and I Thank You by Sam & Dave, Last Night by the Mar-Keys, and The Soul of a Bell by William Bell.

I'm pretty sure Steve Cropper and Booker T. Jones are the last two guys left from the original Stax house band. :(

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not familiar with the Smiths but I would toss out a recommendation that's just occurred to me - another one of Noel Gallagher's favourite bands. It's the first two albums by the Specials - Specials and More Specials. They're great; really worth a listen.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What I'm looking for more of is a specific kind of rock music from the 1970s. I've no interest in (and in some cases actually quite dislike) prog rock, heavy metal or the whole Led Zeppelin / Budgie / Bad Company style hard rock, and I went pretty sour on AOR a couple of years back. What I am interested in finding is music that's more straightforward R&B-influenced rock and roll stuff, along the lines of Faces with Rod Stewart, the J. Geils Band, Mick Taylor era Rolling Stones, Delaney & Bonnie or maybe even "All the Young Dudes" era Mott the Hoople.

(Please don't recommend Status Quo.)

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jul 2, 2016

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

goose fleet posted:

Thanks to this thread Pulp and The Stone Roses are now my new favorite bands and I've been playing the debut album of The Stone Roses on repeat for the last few hours please send help

You might also like the Happy Mondays.

Are you familiar with Primal Scream at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Oh, yeah, they'd be good. I hadn't thought of them. I'm familiar with Wilko Johnson through the album he did with Ian Dury & the Blockheads and some of his solo work but I've actually never really listened to Dr Feelgood. Any other "pub" bands worth checking out?