Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

doctor iono posted:

This sounds silly, but I was listening to the newly remastered Within You Without You by The Beatles, and I felt a really strong desire to hear more of this stuff.

I really enjoy the sitar part, but I also like the rock sort of structure to it. Where can I find more?

John McLaughlin's Shakti is a western (jazz) take on Indian classical music, I suppose. Way way way less poppy than Within You Without You, but great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Declan MacManus posted:

Can anyone recommend me some songs like Cat's Eye/Yellow Fever (Running) by Van Der Graaf Generator? Very theatrical, melodramatic, driving songs. Violin optional. Another song that kind of fits the bill is Vivaldi by Curved Air (which just so happens to have a violin).

Probably too obvious to even bother mentioning, but what about Hurricane by Bob Dylan? It hits all the points you're looking for, including violin.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

moctopus posted:

I'm trying to find examples of rock/metal music with I guess non traditional percussion sections. Something that isn't just the standard drum kit. Does this exist? I'll take anything from sampled beats to tabla or whatever.

Sleepytime gorilla museum had a junk percussionist on at least the first record. 2nd too, I think.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Oliver Reed posted:

The band Earth, Wind and Fire have a very catchy, upbeat/feel-good song everyone knows called September.

What type of music is this (I'm pretty oblivious to genres/subgenres/categorizing music) and what else should I check out that's similar to it?

It's poppy funk or disco. Try Donna Summer, Chaka Khan, the Commodores.

Unless you're thinking of just music played at weddings, in which case I'd point you to The Chicken Dance, Cottoneye Joe, or The Macarena.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Clutch, especially the last few albums.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Heavy Hands posted:

Here's a really vague and specific request at the same time. Could anyone recommend songs/artists similar to Gatekeeper?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q7FFjUpVLg

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Austrian mook posted:

The part with the good tunes

You might like: The Monkees. Good tunes, fake band, ape theme.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
SGM ruled and killed it live, but that doesn't mean you should rush out to buy their "live" album. Or do it, whatever.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Egbert Souse posted:

Any advice for Frank Zappa albums?

I really liked Absolutely Free and Shiek Yerbouti... and loved You Are What You Is and Over-Nite Sensation (which is easily in my top 10 albums). I'm on the fence about getting Freak Out! and Apostrophe next, but what else is essential?

If you like overnite sensation you'll like apostrophe.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
This post brought to you by Apple.

Seriously though, the song that plays from my phone every time I get in the car is so loving lovely that it's hard to imagine this band actually made good music 30 years ago.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Sep 26, 2014

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I don't really get people who obsess over Queen, but you seem to enjoy classic rock. Maybe you'd like, I dunno, the Rolling Stones? I like Sticky Fingers. It's a pretty good record. How about Bowie? Try Ziggy Stardust, Hunky Dory or Diamond Dogs.

You sound like you might also enjoy listening to the radio. All of the songs you like and more! are played on classic rock radio.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Major Isoor posted:

I think you may be right about Sticky Fingers, there! I may need to look into getting some of the Rolling Stones' songs. Same for David Bowe, for that matter. Reminds me of the semi-recent TV show 'Ashes to Ashes', which is titled after Bowe's song of the same name - which as I recall also had some good songs featuring in it, so I think I may have some more contenders there, too.

Thanks for those suggestions, I'll definitely need to investigate further! (As for the radio part, that is an idea - although is anyone aware of any decent classic rock stations in South Australia? Most of the stations I've listened to in general aren't all thaat great/in alignment with my preferences, but I might need to look further, I guess)

So if you like the Stones (or Bowie or any of those bands you mentioned), I'd probably say just get a greatest hits package because you don't seem to have the encyclopedic rock roots that a lot of people have. Its not a bad thing, that's what compilations are made for, I guess.

Personally, I'm sick to death of the Stones songs you hear on the radio and think their album cuts are a lot more interesting. So if you're listening to Sticky Fingers and find yourself getting into Sway, Moonlight Mile and Can't You Hear Me Knocking instead of Brown Sugar, you can give some full albums a go.

A lot of people prefer their early material, which is great, but a little different from the Stadium Rock Stones from the late 60's and 70's. Aftermath, Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers and Exile on Main St are all great. Black and Blue is probably the last record where the good stuff outweighs the garbage, and after that it's a real mixed bag.

Can't help you on Aussie radio, sorry.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Gushing Granny posted:

I used to be really explorative with my music tastes but I just seem to be cycling between Radiohead and The Mountain Goats over and over again. I need to spice things up. Any suggestions?

If you like sort of the folkier side of those bands, try some Oscar Brand or maybe Charlie Weaver.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

KevinHeaven posted:

Are you familiar with the Mahavishnu Orchestra? The guitarist from that band, John McLaughlin, played on some of Miles' late-60s, early-70s albums. And although their songs don't really approach 20 minutes, the music is pretty hard, very far from ambient. Then again, there is the occasional "fiddle song" on their albums, but most of the music is heavy on drums and electric guitar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQG7XpCiSVA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU4yAk6qYUs

Check out some of their live videos on youtube if you're into drum solos.

I was thinking McLaughlin too, but more on the Shakti tip. The 90's live Shakti Revisited album might be a good choice.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Secret Agent X23 posted:

I've checked out some Hancock, Head Hunters and Mwandishi. I give him an enthusiastic thumbs-up. I'll admit that up to now, my exposure to him has consisted of "Rockit," which, although way cool in its own way, I didn't find compelling enough to put forth any effort to see what else he had done.

Secrets is really good too.

quote:

Actually, that's a better recommendation than you may realize. I've heard a couple things of his by way of in-store play at a local indie record store I used to frequent. "What's that you have playing?" "Fela Kuti." "Oh, cool." So it impressed me enough to ask about it, but when it came time to buy something and go home, something else was a higher priority. I haven't thought about him in years, and the reminder is very much welcome.
Sorrow, Tears & Blood was the first record of his I heard and I still come back to it.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Tear for Eddie is what I was thinking too.

Anyways, Maggot Brain's a pretty unique beast. In a way the jazz fusion influences are more up front even though its a balls-out guitar shredding song by a funk-fusion band. Listen to Bitches Brew, what the gently caress, right? You might like it.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Vorenus posted:

I've been getting into a bit of country music lately, not a big fan of most of the country radio hits but I do like several songs by artists like Garth Brooks, Jason Aldean, etc. What I'm really looking for is stuff more along the lines of Old Crow Medicine Show or Nitty Gritty Dirt Band. Specifically songs like Wagon Wheel and Fishin in the Dark, and anything upbeat and violin-heavy. FWIW, I've gone through a lot of Trampled By Turtles and it's not bad but it doesn't quite grab my interest.

Thanks for any and all recommendations.

Dave Rawlings Machine, Punch Brothers, Flying Burrito Brothers, Little Feat.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Fly McCool posted:

I'm looking for any decent rock band that's come out in the last 20 years in the same vein as GnR and Aerosmith.

Rock is dead, etc.

Nickelback? Creed? Foo Fighters?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Tony Martin Black Sabbath is both bad and good. Ian Gillian sabbath is awesome.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I didn't want this to be lost on the last page cuz I'm still jonesing for this sound but I ain't found nothing.

It's been a decade since I've seen Dead Man but try Daniel Lanois' Slingblade soundtrack.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

54.4 crowns posted:

can anyone recommend me a Hotel California cover sung by Tom Waits?

if not....the world is poo poo...

What are you talking about

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

csidle posted:

Currenly loving Push the Sky Away by Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds. Anything of that sort?

Is that your only exposure to Nick Cave? It's not really a dramatic departure from his last 4-5 records.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Kekekela posted:

I think the simplest way to describe what I'm looking for would be Pantera-esque guitar riffs but way softer/gentler vocals. Anything you goons could recommend?

("related artists" include stuff like White Zombie and Metallica which I do like but aren't quite what I'm looking for here)

You might like: rob halford's 90's project Fight, Anthrax's 90's stuff with the guy from Armored Saint singing. I haven't listened to either of those things in 20 years, so I could be wrong too.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Franchescanado posted:

Can anyone recommend me some classical pieces that sound similar to the soundtrack to The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time?

I tried to look into pieces that inspired Koji Kondo's style for OoT, but I can only find his influences on other Zelda games.

I'm trying to broaden my knowledge of classical music and opera, so I'm open to any suggestion.

(Should I cross-post into the classical thread as well?)

I think John Philips Souza was a big inspiration.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Karate rules

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Zu is great but I don't know what their records are like.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Here's a thought experiment: if I asked for bands that sounded like the Smiths, but the only Smiths song you know was "How Soon Is Now?" what would you recommend?

Maybe Night Ranger, but Sister Christian is the only Night Ranger song I know so it might screw up the whole game.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Wheat Loaf posted:

Does anyone have any general recommendations for retro-influenced contemporary soul artists? I'm thinking of stuff along the lines of Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings, even Amy Winehouse. that sort of thing.

NPR played a segment the other day about a kid named Leon Bridges that does early 60's throwback music. Didn't sound bad if that's what you're into.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
You got a kickass wild ride ahead of you my friend. Jealous I can't experience it all over again.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Dead Hippie Ghost posted:

I'm just getting into prog, and there is way too much. What are the best prog bands that I probably haven't heard of?

There's a prog thread that just had this discussion in the past week.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

me your dad posted:

This may be a little abstract, but I'm looking for songs that have a couple of qualities. The first is that the song sort of 'falls apart' or breaks down. The second is a layering of guitars or other instruments.

Here's an example that nails both:

It happens at the 2:30 mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nH5MYq8p91g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWtgMGb0Ki8

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Vinny Possum posted:

I'm looking for a thing I heard on the radio in SJ years ago. It's like spoken word story telling over jazz music, with a surreal bent to it. I've been searching for the genre I was hearing since then, but I've had no luck. The closest things I can find are William S. Burrough's recordings. Does anyone have any idea what this style of music is called, or what some good stuff with that kind of sound is?

Think I found it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hG9C0VwruXE

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

dee eight posted:

Would this be the best thread to ask for specific song suggestions to fill a very eclectic 30+ hour playlist?

I'd be looking for a lot of genres including, but not limited to, 50s doo-wop, latin jazz, texas/country swing, 60s dad rock, big band, truck driver, classical, old blues (willie dixon/elmore james type), stride piano, comedy, etc.

Or would I perhaps be better off asking in the pyf/request forum?

Is this for larping?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Jeremy_X posted:

Looking for instrumental funk or other groove oriented music like Parliament-Funkadelic minus all vocals, anyone got any ideas?

Also looking for music with solid bass work. Can be either upright or electric just needs to be an actual bass, I don't like the sound of synth bass. Doesn't have to be any specific genre.

Thanks for the help.

Junkyard. Or get the JB's box set.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I have a cd by I think Matt Darieu or Darius and the Paradox Trio that's basically new acoustic music that cribs from klezmer instead of bluegrass. Not too bad if you like that stuff.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Boba Pearl posted:

So yeah I only have like 60 songs on my spotify, and I have no idea why I like these songs, or what they do for me, but I have been listening onto these and a few others on repeat for a year or two and want to branch out and find new music that makes me happy, tickles that same part of the brain!

You might like Lana Del Rey?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Yea I love Oscar, I'm asking about Art Tatum though.

Since a lot of his recording was in the 30s and 40s, he’s kinda one of those guys like Lionel Hampton, Artie Shaw, Duke Ellington (if he stopped recording in the 50s), where the bulk of their output is compilations and a lot of it was on labels that don’t exist anymore so it’s been re-compiled posthumously. Just looking through the discography though, there’s a trio album with Lionel Hampton and Buddy Rich that might be worth trying to track down. I want to hear that myself so I’ll let you know if I can find it.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Yeah, I got that recently. It's not bad but I have been so thoroughly taught culturally that "vibraphone + jazz = corny" that it's honestly hard to listen to. That's a me problem though.

If you want to completely break yourself of that idea listen to Milt Jackson’s fusion-y records from the 70s. Try Sunflower. It’s Freddie Hubbard, Herbie, Billy Cobham, Ron Carter. It’s only corny if you think fusion is corny in general, and I could understand that.

I don’t think milt Jackson’s playing with MJQ is corny at all, either. Lionel Hampton kinda is but it’s also foundational stuff. He was also a big touring act, much more than a recording artist.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I find I love Johnny Marr's guitar tone but I'm fairly certain that I don't want to listen the Smiths because Morrissey is a shitlord. I discovered a band called The Organ who do a great job of replicating the tone without sounding derivative. I'm familiar with Echo & the Bunnymen, Jesus & Mary Chain, and The Wedding Present (these bands were recommended by google, and I like all 3, especially the latter).

Thoughts?

P.S I like Modest Mouse's material with Johnny, but find his other material underwhelming

The smiths are great though? Every artist you like is a bad person in some way or another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I draw the line at supporting nazis, which Morrissey essentially is. I own the Queen is Dead, it's good but gently caress him, gently caress his stupid face.

You can just stream the music? Nobody directly gets money for streams. You’re not supporting anyone. Or pirate it. Or don’t, but the smiths are good.