Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Jadz posted:

You guys were so awesome helping me find the good techno/chill/ambient music, I figured I'd stop back in for something completely different this time.

I'm looking for something similar to "Within Temptation", "Krypteria" and "Lacuna Coil". Basically, good Goth Rock, I guess? Bonus if the singer's a chick. Something about the mesh of awesome hard rock instrumentals and a female's voice just appeals to me.
None of these bands have anything to do with goth rock, which is a genre characterized by Sisters of Mercy, Bauhaus, Fields of the Nephilim, The Cure, etc. The genre you're looking for is one of two genres confusingly named "gothic metal," and this one has zilch to do with goth rock. It's downtempo symphonic metal with tits, but fear not, I don't intend to make this entire post a bitchfest about an awful genre name.

Anyway, check out After Forever (beware, some harsh male vocals if those aren't your thing, but the band is fantastic), Epica, Edenbridge, Tristania, early Theatre of Tragedy (and Liv Kristine's new act, Leaves' Eyes) and early The Gathering. You'd probably like Therion's Vovin a lot too (awesome symphonic metal influenced by actual gothic rock music), and maybe Dol Ammad and Dol Theeta's albums if you don't mind music full of gay Nintendo sounds that resemble a Namco RPG soundtrack.

In fact, just check out the Wikipedia article on gothic metal. It was abysmal last I checked, but it looks like someone fleshed it out into one of the better music-related Wikipedia articles I've read.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jun 16, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I'm in love with Man Man and Sleepytime Gorilla Museum. What else will I like?

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Feb 8, 2011

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Nuclear Spoon posted:

Hey guys, for someone who claims to love jazz, I don't really seem to listen to anything after the 70s.

Hit me with anything which could be considered modern, I've got an open mind.
poo poo, while we're doing fusion:

Gordian Knot - Muttersprache

And for something a little different:

The Cinematic Orchestra feat. Fontella Bass - All That You Give
The Cinematic Orchestra - The Man with the Movie Camera

twoski posted:

Maybe this thread can help me. I've fallen into a rut with music and i need more variety in my mix.

My tastes are a bit weird, in my opinion. I've recently been listening to Boards Of Canada, Mux Mool, Locust Toybox, Aphex Twin, Flying Lotus, etc. I used to never listen to electronic music, I just kind of eased into it. I had downloaded Boards Of Canada's Campfire Headphase and never actually listened to it for a year. Every once in a while it would come on via random shuffle and i'd listen to it. Eventually i became a huge fan and started delving into more electronic.

Before that phase i generally listened only to variants of rock. Lots of Canadian Rock too. I'm still a huge fan of bands like I Mother Earth, Big Wreck, The Tragically Hip, etc. A fair amount of alt rock as well. I enjoy good hip-hop too.

So with those tastes in mind, is there anything people can suggest to me? I'd love to discover more bands but i just don't know where to start. I have an awful habit of just skipping songs i don't really know when they come on instead of chilling and listening to them. I wish Canada had pandora radio.
Future Sound of London's Lifeforms and Dead Cities sound like they're up your alley. They're best experienced if you totally immerse yourselves in them, but they're not accessible at all. Leave them on in the background for a few spins while you do other stuff before you try to really approach them.

Edit: Check this out too
Dalek - Street Diction

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Nov 1, 2011

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Time Cowboy posted:

I checked back a couple pages and didn't see anything exactly along these lines.

First, I want to expand my collection of classic and modern psychedlic rock and folk. I'm familiar with Jefferson Airplane, early Moody Blues, Tame Impala, Devendra Banhart, etc. I know there are lots of big names and big albums I'm missing, so any suggestions would be appreciated. Bonus points for female vocalists.
I'm not big on folk, but here's some psychedelia.

Arthur Brown is the godfather of psychedelic rock. Some of his stuff is fairly poppy and accessible and some is totally avant-garde noise, but here's a few that represent him and his many different styles:

Fire
Nightmare
Sunrise
Time Captives

You might also be interested in the first few Porcupine Tree albums. Here's a few tracks:

Synesthesia
Nine Cats
Waiting (Phase One)

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Nov 1, 2011

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

bigperm posted:

Does anyone know of a vocalist that is similar to Phil Anselmo from Pantera? Specifically like the Great Southern Trendkill title track.
You'd probably have a boner for Peter Dolving from The Haunted (check their first and fourth albums out), but there's a ton of vocalists who sing in that style. What are you looking for in the rest of the music?

Ingram posted:

I've recently fell in love with Pantera, namely Cowboys. They havn't done many CDs, and I only really seem to like two of them so far from what I've heard.

Anyone bands similar?
Which CD was the other one you liked, Vulgar Display?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Ras Het posted:

In this thread and its predecessors' long histories, that might be the single lamest request of all.
I've never in my life heard someone ask for more music that sounds like "Light My Fire"

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Reive posted:

Been listening to this constantly http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5JqLwyI70w
Looking for metal bands that sound like it, basically what I want is just similar growls and melodic choruses.
I don't want just melodic death metal though as I don't want the focus to be the melodic side.
I don't understand the "don't want the focus to be the melodic side" given that this song is basically a carbon-copy of Soundtrack to Your Escape-era In Flames with slightly more competent vocals. I really don't think there's anything death metal about this song at all, in fact, besides the vocals. The riffing style is influenced way more by nu-metal and metalcore (and the Pantera/Prong-style groove metal that preceded both those genres) than death metal. What exactly are you looking for?

Edit: Have some Scar Symmetry, that's the closest I can think of from the top of my head:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XX0p7Y3gND4

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Nov 25, 2011

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Cuntington posted:

Xiu Xiu - Fabulous Muscles

Kids on TV - Breakdance Hunx

Do you know any more good songs with gay, sexual lyrics?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ki3TpFZY7cU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Rollersnake posted:

Pure Reason Revolution have some gorgeous male/female vocal harmonies, and Amor Vincit Omnia is maybe my favorite pop/rock album of the past few years. They're an interesting genre-crossing band who never really found their sound and recently broke up, but I'm glad it all managed to coalesce if only for one great album.
I really liked The Dark Third but never followed up on anything they did afterwards. Holy crap, they pulled a big stylistic departure.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Hooplah posted:

Adebisi Shank
Of all things I've seen in this thread, a band with an Oz-themed name is not one I expected

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

drainpipe posted:

Cross-posted from the black metal thread.

I've been really liking the Eastern European atmospheric stuff like Walknut, Ygg, Drudkh, Darkestrah... Can anyone recommend any other bands in the same vein? Doesn't have to be Eastern European (WIITR for example).
In terms of classics, Graveland's Memory and Destiny (more atmospheric) and Thousand Swords (more folky) sound up your alley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

I've kinda gotten into both folk/Celtic music and metal. I particularly like The Widdershins Jig:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsbXsOWQ68k

If I like both metal and Celtic music, what're some good suggestions? Any particular I should look up? Neoclassical metal is also really cool, anything with a compelling melodic line is good too, and I'm open to some foot-tapping non-metal Celtic as well. Stuff that makes particularly good use of violins and violas are also appreciated!
It's not Celtic in the least but I'm like 95% sure the band you're looking for is Korpiklaani

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoRUpKnaOHs