Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Franchescanado posted:

Looking for some hip-hop recommendations.

I like The Coup, MF Doom, Binary Star, Open Mike Eagle, Saba, Serengeti and recently Donnie Trumpet & The Social Experiment. Old school stuff I like: Pharcyde, Wu-Tang Clan's first round of albums and their 2nd major group album, 2Pac, Biggie, Beastie Boys, A Tribe Called Quest, Gravediggaz, De La Soul

I loving hate Drake and most trap music.

I'm looking for anything, old school or new.

Wanted to add a few to the list for you:

Jay Dilla - Donuts (Instrumental), Champion Sound (with Madlib), The Shining
9th Wonder - Zion I & II (instrumental), The Wonder Years
Madlib - The Unseen, Madvillainy (with MF Doom), The Beat Konducta Series (instrumental)
Pete Rock - Mecca & The Soul Brother, Soul Survivor I & II
Mobb Deep - The Infamous
Prodigy - Return of the Mac
Prince Paul - A Prince Among Thieves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

DeathSandwich posted:

I need recommendations for more swing jazz. Me and a lady friend have taken up swing dancing classes and my repertoire only really extends into the 90s revival stuff like Squirrel Nut Zippers, Big Bad Vodoo Daddies, and the like. I'm more looking for more period appropriate bands and the like.

I would start with Duke Ellington, Louis Armstrong, Count Basie, and Cab Calloway. Look for stuff from the mid 30's to mid 40's.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

I need some recommendations for modern soul/funk bands, in particular ones that build a lot on the soul/funk of the 60's and 70's. Bands similar to the Poets of Rhythm would be excellent, and would be even better if the music was available on vinyl.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Thanks a lot for the recommendations. Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings is exactly what I was looking for. Any other similar groups I should keep an eye out for? Five Alarm Funk had some cool stuff, and I enjoyed Black Diet, it's just a little more indie than I am looking for.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Flaggy posted:

The Budos Band!

Thanks! I realized that I should probably just check out everyone on the Daptone label. Looking forward to checking more out.

Beelerzebub posted:

If you're into comedic albums, Here Come the Mummies is loving great.

I am mostly looking for stuff to sample so I will definitely check this out, thanks a lot.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Elentor posted:

Thanks a lot, the moment I saw you recommending Sneaker Pimps I knew good stuff was on the way. Machinedrum and Capsule rocked. Jupiter was fat and dope and I like funky poo poo so it rocked as well. Sneaky Sound System ended up being the one that brought me right back to the days. I just listened to UFO and that's just great. So good. Can't thank you enough!

Man, this reminds me of a Sneaky Sound System show I went to in San Francisco that was incredible.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Kvlt! posted:

I love Funkadelic's Maggot Brain and Eddie Hazel's solo album. Where do I go from there for more funk?

Check out some Bootsy Collins, he was the bass player on most of Parliament and Funkadelic's albums. For a little more modern funk if you are interested, check out Chromeo!

Edit: Thought of a few more. Check out Fatback Band, Rick James, Mary Jane Girls, and Dazz Band.

MrSargent fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jul 26, 2018

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Izzhov posted:

Where can I find more weird moody synthy electricy jazz in the style of the instrumentals of To Pimp a Butterfly? I'm specifically talking about cuts like "Wesley's Theory", "Institutionalized", "For Sale?", those instrumentals drive me wild.

I'll give you a list of instrumental albums that are similar or that I think you would like. It's not all going to be exactly like TPAB, but I think it is close enough that you would enjoy them.

Jay Dilla - Dillatronic
Knxwledge - Hud Dreems
Nujabes - Metaphorical Music
Kariem Riggins - Headnod Suite
Yesterday's New Quintet - Angles Without Edges (more jazzy but awesome)
Madlib - Shades of Blue (Madlib gets to sample old Blue Note jazz records to make new beats with)
Pete Rock - Petestrumentals

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Gonna do something similar to what Anniversary and list what I've been listening to lately and ask for recs based on those artists

-Royce Da 5'9

You should check out Royce’s project with DJ Premier if you haven’t already. They have two albums called PRhyme and PRhyme 2 and they are both excellent. Curious what projects of Royce’s that you have listened to.

If you like that stuff, I would highly recommend going back and listening to Moment of Truth LP by Gang Starr feat. DJ Premier and Guru. It came out a long time ago but it still holds up really well.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

signalnoise posted:

Not enough bending or wah, I mean I want that blast it out your rear end bass that sounds dumb as hell

For reference https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1_Vn_D6Xu0 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNyKm2fN4I8

I don't know what this style is called, I just know it's great and probably sounds physically pleasurable when high

Have you checked out any P-funk? Its pretty similar to those videos but isn't exactly a modern sound. Maybe check out bands like Zapp, Parliament, and Funkadelic. Here is an example that has a pretty wicked bassline.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_IPV2zeDIc

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

TMNT-Rocksteady posted:

Any place that has playlists of actual 'club music', like remixes n poo poo?
Tried to search some on spotify and youtube and it's just like generic edm/rap songs.

EDM/Rap songs are primarily what gets played in clubs these days. Not sure what you mean by remixes, do you mean Club Remixes of pop songs?

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

regulargonzalez posted:

I've tried several times to get into jazz and it's never really clicked for me. But I'm really digging Cantaloupe Island by Herbie Hancock. The rest of the Empyrean Isles is pretty hit or miss; I like Oliloqui Valley a bit. I also like Windswept by Johnny Jewel but I'm not sure if that qualifies as jazz. Any recommendations? I've had Edsel Gomez and Miles Davis - Kind of Blue recommended to me and I bounced off of both of them.

I am not a jazz expert by any stretch but I have listened to a lot and think we probably have similar tastes. Cantaloupe Island is an example of a fusion between jazz and soul/gospel/blues music and is definitely right up my alley when it comes to the jazz I like. If you like Herbie Hancock, you are probably going to want to check out more jazz fusion stuff since Hancock was a huge pioneer of incorporating popular music styles into jazz. Here is a good list from VMP of some albums to check out.

http://www.vinylmeplease.com/magazine/10-best-soul-jazz-records-own-vinyl/

For Miles Davis, the one that hooked me in was his album "Big Fun". This is a great example of Jazz Fusion and might be a good way to get into his other music.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

I would like recommendations for 70s soul music that isn't as much on the disco end of things, along the lines of Curtis Mayfield, Isaac Hayes or Barry White (although lengthy spoken raps to introduce songs as practised by the latter two in particular are optional).

Edit: And any of that 90s soul where hip-hop production was being fused with the R&B vocal group tradition; I would be grateful for any recommendations of groups or albums in that line as well.

Well this is my wheelhouse so I'll give you some other recommendations that people haven't mentioned. I might dip into the 60's a bit but that is still very much the style you are looking for I think.

The Dramatics
The Delfonics
Minnie Ripperton
Candi Staton
Sam & Dave
Ann Peebles
Betty Lavette
Gladys Knight & The Pips
The Stylistics
Patti Labelle
Bill Withers
The Main Ingredient
The IMpressions (Curtis Mayfield's group before he went solo)

For 90's "soul", I would absolutley recommend Brown Sugar and Voodoo by D'Angelo. Miseducation of Lauryn Hill is also a great blend of hip-hop and r&b and one of my favorite albums of all time.

Radio Spiricom posted:

harold melvin & the blue notes, the o'jays, the chi-lites, the isleys, al green, donny hathaway, willie hutch, edwin starr, eddie kendricks, rufus

the earlier the better since by 1975 disco had emerged and there was a lot of crossover

i think neo-soul is mostly bad aside from d'angelo, angie stone, and me'shell ndgeocello... groove theory had some good singles i suppose... but lauryn hill, eyrkah badu, maxwell, et all are like nails on a chalkboard to me. just listen to prince.

The gently caress is this? Lauryn Hill is nails on a chalkboard? That is straight blasphemy. Miseducation is consistently in the discussion of "greatest hip-hop/r&b albums of all time". To each his own but this really upset me haha.

MrSargent fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Dec 18, 2018

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

I liked that Erykah Badu live album. I used to play in a band that did a version of the "Boogie Nights" / "All Night Long" medley she does on that album, with "Funkin' for Jamaica" by Tom Browne interpolated into it. That was always great fun. Haven't listened to any of her studio albums, though.

I've heard some stuff like Blackstreet and Dru Hill and enjoyed them, but I don't know if they're categorised as "soul" or not or if they're new jack swing.

How about some new jack swing recommendations while I'm at it?

If you want to hear the album that practically spawned the "New Jack Swing" genre, listen to Janet Jackson's Control album.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's too bad there was never a Sam & Dave live album. That would have been good.

The only Bill Withers album I've heard is that Carnegie Hall one. Same with Donny Hathaway - I've only heard his live album. They're both good, though I'm not sure where I rank them overall among live soul albums. Live at the Apollo by James Brown, Live at the Harlem Square Club, Miami 1963 by Sam Cooke and In Person at the Whiskey a Go Go by Otis Redding are my top three. Bill Withers is probably number four; I really like the ones that get that whole gospel feeling down; one of my all-time favourite live albums is Gospel Concert by the Clara Ward Singers and I've struggled to find anything that can really match its intensity; if gospel music is soul music then it's number one for me.

More controversially, if you are prepared to categorise Bob Marley as a "soul" artist (I think of reggae as Jamaican soul music much as ska was Jamaican artists' distinctive take on R&B) then his live album from 1975 is probably slotted in at number three. Edit: If you count Van Morrison as soul (he's Celtic soul, I think) then you'd better believe I'd be putting It's Too Late To Stop Now near the top.

If James Brown at the Apollo is at the top of your list, you might like some of the funkier soul groups as well. Definitely check out The Meters, The Lafayette Afro-Rock Band, The Bar-Kays, Bloodstone, The Four Tops, BT Express, Sly & The Family Stone, and Booker T & The MG's. Also add Joe Tex and The Staple Singers in there.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Parachute posted:

who can yall suggest along the lines of like gene page, quincy jones or even barry white? something that has a big soundtrack-y composer feel. modern stuff is fine, but im looking from like 50's-70's i guess. the long instrumental steely dan bits even come to mind, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJGxuJYcmZo

Not sure if this is what you are going for but I would definitely check out Curtis Mayfield's album "Curtis". I always felt that it had a soundtracky feel. Adrian Younge is a more modern producer, but he really tries to capture that sound from 60's and 70's recordings and is hugely influenced by composers like Ennio Morricone. His latest project is The Midnight Hour, which he co-wrote with Ali Shaheed Muhammad (from Tribe Called Quest). Definitely check out a few of his different projects and see if its what you are looking for (Voices of Gemma, Black Dynamite, Something About April).

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Modern boom bap with great verbal dexterity. Already familiar with Royce da 5'9, MF Doom, Joey Bada$$ and Kilker Mike.

Tried to keep it within the last 5 years but In The Ruff is a bit earlier. You probably have heard it but Royce has a project with DJ Premier called PRhyme and they have put out two albums together.

Masta Ace & Marco Polo - A Breukelen Story
Diamond District - In The Ruff
Madlib & Freddie Gibbs - Pinata
Action Bronson - White Bronco
Black Thought - Streams of Thought Vol. 1 & 2
Evidence - Weather or Not
J. Cole - KOD
Oddisee - The Iceberg
9th Wonder - Zion II & Zion III (Instrumentals)

That should get you started. Let me know what ones you like and I can probably suggest more.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here & Dark Side of the Moon
Daft Punk - Random Access Memories
Dr. Dre - 2001

Those were the ones that came to mind immediately, I'll try to add more later.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Any recommended albums for conscious hip-hop along the same lines as Kendrick Lamar? I've gotten into his music in the past couple of years and I'd like to hear more political hip-hop stuff. There are 'best of' lists out there, but they tend to be hit or miss. I'd be more interested in getting the opinions of more seasoned hip hop fans.

Here are some other artists to get you started:

Common - Really can't go wrong with most of his early material but "Like Water for Chocolate", "Be", and "Finding Forever" are my favorite albums.
Mos Def - Black on Both Sides and The Ecstatic are incredible.
Talib Kweli - Check out his album with Mos Def titled "Mos Def & Talib Kweli are Black Star". His solo work is good too, can start with Quality and move along from there.
Ice Cube - Usually associated with gangsta rap, Ice Cube's solo work after NWA is very political. Start with Amerikka's Most Wanted
Black Thought - Anything he has done with The Roots (Undun, Illadelph Halflife, Things Fall Apart). Also check out Streams of Thought Vol. 1 & 2
Lupe Fiasco - Check out his latest album "Drogas", really powerful stuff.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Sounds like a great start for some new material. Thank you!

Absolutely. Definitely report back with what stuff you liked and I can keep giving recommendations.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Another few classic hip-hop albums I thought of that would fall under conscious:

Gang Starr - Moment of Truth
Pete Rock & CL Smooth - Mecca & The Soul Brother
Pete Rock & CL Smooth - The Main Ingredient
Lauryn Hill - The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill
The Fugees - The Score

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Kvlt! posted:

I have a terrible knowledge of hip hop/rap and am very picky but I'd like to explore it more. I really like $uicideboy$ so I guess I'm looking for more stuff like that: dark, agressive, almost punk-ey but also listenable and has elements of melody.

Stuff like Death Grips I find is too "electronic" for my tastes, I'd still like it to be rooted in hip hop. I realize this is kinda broad so just throw anything interesting at me.

I am not as familiar with that style of hip-hop but here are a few suggestions:

Three 6 Mafia - $uicideboy$ are heavily influenced by them and even sampled a bunch of their songs for some of their early work
Denzel Curry
Juicy J

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Kvlt! posted:

Thank you for the suggestions! Three 6 Mafia definitely scratched that itch, I can totally see the influence. I'm really enjoying them

The other two were clearly talented but not really what I was looking for, they lacked that "edge" or aggression. I appreciate the suggestions tho!

Well Juicy J is one of the members of Three 6 Mafia and he mentored $uicideboy$ so I figured he would be a good one to check out. I am surprised you didn't find Denzel Curry to have enough aggression, that's one of the things he is known for. Check out this cover he did of Rage Against the Machine's "Bulls on Parade". When you say edge and aggression, what specifically are you referring to? The production or the vocals?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY4ywyFXdik

If you dig Three 6 Mafia, maybe check out UGK.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

IUG posted:

Since this is kindof on the topic, are there any recommendations for rap that isn't, for the lack of a better term, focused on toxic masculinity? That is to say, the lyrics don't talk about how they're the best rapper, how they're going to kick the rear end of people, etc. I like stuff like Aesop Rock and Del The Funky Homosapien, but couldn't get into Run the Jewels since the lyrics were such a turnoff for me. And it's a genre I have so little of to even know where else to go.

Here is a list to get you started. Some of it is braggadocious, but you will be hard pressed to find any classic hip-hop that doesn't have at least some of that. Rap was very competitive back in the day (still is to some degree) and that's why you hear a lot of that "i'm the best on the mic" type lyrics. But these artists definitely have diverse content:

Deltron 3030 (Del the Funky Homosapien and Dan the Automator)
Hieroglyphics
Souls of Mischief
De La Soul
A Tribe Called Quest
Masta Ace (new album A Breukelen Story is incredible)
The Fugees
The Pharcyde
Locksmith (check out his project with Apollo Brown)
Diamond District (In the Ruff album)
Little Brother (any of their albums)

If you have any questions, definitely let me know. Hip-hop is by far my favorite genre and I am always down to talk about it and share recommendations.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Thanks. I haven't looked into him, I should do that. I left Outkast, Goodie Mob, CunninLynguists and other southern stuff off my likes list for some reason.

Check out Earl Sweatshirt, he is a newer artist with a lot of DOOM influence and a laid-back rap style. Some other artists you may like:

Oddissee
Diamond District
Apollo Brown (he is a producer, but if you like his sound, definitely check out the numerous projects he has with a bunch of great rappers)

If you listen to hip-hop instrumentals, I know a ton of producers you might like.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

me your dad posted:

Welcome to getting old!

I was a huge hip hop fan from about 1993 to the early 2000s and I can't find any new stuff I like. What I do listen to I enjoy mostly because of how familiar it is, and it's limited to very few artists.

It's just not relevant to me anymore. It's music for young people, and that's very obvious. I actually think a lot of sounds pretty good but I can't connect with the lyrics anymore.

I grew up with hip-hop in the same period as you and still find a TON of hip-hop that has a similar style and vibe. Mostly listen to the classic sample-based boom bap stuff and there are tons of people still putting that stuff out. I am kinda curious what you mean by connecting to the lyrics more back then. A lot of the subject matter is the same and you still have your street rappers, party rappers, and conscious rappers all mixed in.

Rappers to Check Out:
Benny the Butcher
Conway the Machine
Action Bronson
Anoyd
Blu
Chris Crack
The Opioid Era
Kendrick Lamar
Joey Badass
Ivy Sole
Rapsody

Producers:
Alchemist
Daringer
Knxwledge
Statik Selektah
Apollo Brown
Dibiase
Marco Polo

MrSargent fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jul 20, 2019

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I just hate the little finger of the genre that gen Z listens to the most. Migos, Post Malone, that Gucci Gang kid, Lil Yachty, Lil Uzi, Lil Pump, whoever they are. The videos making fun of them are pretty good though.

But see, most of that stuff is pop-rap and other than Migos, I wouldn't even consider it hip-hop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Kanine posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kc-bhOOLxE

i like the vocoder poo poo in daft punk, and tim and eric

is there any other artists/songs that have cool vocoders in them?

Check out Chromeo, they use a talkbox quite a bit in their productions and it is similar to a vocoder.