Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

A lot of people ask for Black Keys recommendations. Kingcobweb's recs above still apply, but specifically I'd check out artists on labels like Alive! Naturalsound (Soledad Brothers for instance), Fat Possum Records (bluesier, but usually with a little Rock & Roll crunch), and as far as individual bands go, The Greenhornes, Mr. Airplane Man, Pearlene, 20 Miles, The Go, The Deadly Snakes, not to mention older bands like The Allman Brothers and Cream.

The Oblivians could fit in both this post and the one above it (as could a lot of these bands I guess) but The Compulsive Gamblers feature some of the same members and are more Black Keysian

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Lord Eggsby posted:

Anyone got any psych/folk/fun recommendations for me?
I know the Dodos are biggish right now if you mean it in that sort of way and if you do The Gris Gris\Greg Ashley are part of the same little family and (I think) better.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

CommissarRed posted:

Can anyone recommend me some female rock bands? I've listened to Paramore and I really like them, but I'm looking for more. I like bands like Thrice, Rise Against, etc etc. I'd prefer bands along these lines rather than bands like Kitty and The Donnas.
I used to be really into female-fronted punk. The ones I listen to most since then are Sleater-Kinney, The Soviettes, and Shesus

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

From the first page

Farts Domino posted:

A lot of people ask for Black Keys recommendations. Kingcobweb's recs above still apply, but specifically I'd check out artists on labels like Alive! Naturalsound (Soledad Brothers for instance), Fat Possum Records (bluesier, but usually with a little Rock & Roll crunch), and as far as individual bands go, The Greenhornes, Mr. Airplane Man, Pearlene, 20 Miles, The Go, The Deadly Snakes, not to mention older bands like The Allman Brothers and Cream.

The Oblivians could fit in both this post and the one above it (as could a lot of these bands I guess) but The Compulsive Gamblers feature some of the same members and are more Black Keysian
not tryin' to be sassy, it's just easier than typing it again

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

plogo posted:

For 80s stuff, you this thread could help... http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3098961
and there's this thread too

but as far as horns go, does afrobeat work for you? There are a few posters that could enlighten you on that better than I but you should check out Fela Kuti, Daktaris, Orlando Julius, Manu Dibango, Budos Band, Cane & Abel, and African Music Machine. Those aren't all afrobeat but somewhere I hope one of those matches what you're looking for

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

SeraphSlaughter posted:

Recommend me instrumental stuff with a focus on guitar, preferably along the lines of stuff like Kaki King (even though she has vocals in some songs), Explosions in the Sky, 65daysofstatic, etc.

Really anything that's instrumental guitar that doesn't sound like 80s shredmetal dudes like Steve Vai/Joe Satriani/whatever.
If you want to give another direction a try Friends of Dean Martinez and Big Lazy have a different sort of vibe, neither of which are very often imitated

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Diligent Deadite posted:

Interested in hearing the source for what bands like The Black Lips pastiche in "Trapped in a Basement" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mu40tNnUuEE or what a lot of the music in House of the Dead: Overkill is based on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRuwy10S-Ec&feature=related

Any suggestions you awesome people you?
I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but there are a couple of garage-psych bands that tend towards that dark fuzzed sound. Maybe try The Seeds or Electric Prunes. Not all of their songs are like that (and I swear I'm missing some obvious choices here) but they might work for you.

You might also like The Gris Gris or early Dr. John.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Nilbog Resident posted:

someone school me on surf rock / surfer rock / surf noise / surf genres.

i've been listening to alot of the vandelles, boardwalkers, and the barracudas lately
plug: I'm playing a 2 hour surf show at Noon CST today, https://www.wtulneworleans.com and you can check out my playlists here

and if you miss that, please report back once you have listened to:

Big names: Dick Dale, Link Wray, Ventures (go straight to their album Ventures in Space), The Shadows, The Trashmen
good old bands: The Sentinals, The Astronauts, Al Casey, Jerry Cole, The Frantics, Sandy Nelson, The New Dimensions, The Original Surfaris
good noisy new poo poo: Apemen, Giant Leeches, Hawaii Samurai, Robert Johnson & The Punchdrunks, Rat Holic, The Windows, Switch Trout, Mad 3,
weird poo poo: Stereophonic Space Sound Unlimited, The Messer Chups, Tornados, Fifty Foot Combo, Man... or Astroman?, The Hypnomen
Good plain old surf: The Barbwires (seriously, if you could buy one surf album I'd listen to Searider), The Ramblin' Ambassadors, The Dynotones, Bomboras, Tremolo Beer Gut, Los Straitjackets, Satan's Pilgrims, The Surfites, Mighty Gordinis, The Langhorns, Krontjong Devils, El Ray, The Bambi Molesters
Spaghetti sound: The Five Outsiders, Moe Greene Specials, The Madeira (more middle eastern I guess), The Hellbenders

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

KingShibby posted:

I'm sure someone's asked this before, but what's some good music to set the mood/get laid to?

I really wanna set the mood for my fiance tonight
there's been entire dumb threads about this and every post says Massive Attack - Mezzanine. Don't do that, do Friends of Dean Martinez, any album except Random Harvest

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

slow_twitch posted:

This may be a vague request but can anyone recommend any good 'echoey' bands? I guess the best examples would be interpol or the horrors..
The Gris Gris \ Greg Ashley, though be warned because you'll want more stuff exactly like it and won't find it (unless somebody wants to prove me wrong....)

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

spanky the dolphin posted:

I recently started listening to this Japanese surf rock band Takeshi Terauchi & The Bunnys, the album 'This is Takeshi Terauchi' to be specific. It is really cool and was wondering where else I can go for this sort of sound. I've heard the Ventures before but I seem to prefer Terauchi with that sort of off-kilter haunted house type vibe I get. Any ideas?
Japanese guitar instrumentals are their own little subgenre known as eleki and most of the stuff you can get easily is all Takeshi, the next biggest probably being the Sharp Five.

That's not to say that nobody else unknowingly did anything similar. From Sweden, The Spotnicks' guitar can sometimes be unbearably tinny but at their best they're great.

And as far as off-kilter and moody tones go, The Tornados (not Tornadoes) from GB are untouchable, and it's worth checking out the rest of Joe Meek produced instrumentals

Also, weirdo exotica/jazz musician Kai Winding did a surf album called "!!!MORE!!!" (which from what I understand he also released not as a surf album with identical music), which might fill the gap.

Also there's two compilations called "surfbeat behind the iron curtain" that have some Takeshi-type stuff. Of course, they also have Takeshi on it.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

I HUNGRILY AWAIT QUESTIONS LIKE THOSE

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Ddraig posted:

A friend of mine recently turned me onto psychobilly. So far I've only heard a few different artists, mainly the Reverend Horton Heat and the Meteors, and also a rather cool band on myspace called the Arkhams.

Does anyone have any other recommendations, particularly in the style of the Arkhams? They have this kind of retro sound that's pretty cool
I'd never heard the Arkhams but it's pretty good. Sounded closest to Rev. Horton Heat to me, but you already know him.

I guess if you wanna get more straight rockabilly and stay modern, I'd go for Heavy Trash, Flat Duo Jets (especially earlier), and Don Cavalli-related bands aside from his solo project. Maybe even Southern Culture on the Skids but that's not really psychobilly. You should also check out Astro-Zombies, Demented Are Go and Sasquatch and the Sick-a-Billys and for general psychobilly.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Skilleddk posted:

I'm currently looking for some heavier shoegaze stuff. I heard Alcest's Souvenirs Du Autre Monde, and was instantly hooked. Looked up a bit myself and found Jesu, and currently digging their Silver EP (haven't had time to hear the rest of their works).

I also tried Isis, but didn't like them because of the vocals. So basically I'm looking for heavy shoegaze guitars, soft vocals and a good melody.
I thought somebody could definitely answer better than me, but I haven't seen Nadja mentioned. LSD and the Search for God might work too. And you've probably heard Ride, but you might not have checked out their song Grasshopper. And Relay is probably more on the active side than most shoegaze I've heard

As for other close things that aren't exactly what you're looking for (but aren't sugary sweet shoegaze), I would check out Neurosis. It's pretty firmly on the metal side of things, including the vocals, but they worked for me where Isis didn't. You might also like Jupiter-era Cave In, but that's more big-sound-guitar than shoegaze.

Glifted is problably the sound you want. Unfortunately their songs are literally a repeating loop.

How do you feel about post-rock bands like Maserati, Mono, Pelican, Russian Circles, etc.?

Farts Domino fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Oct 14, 2009

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Elder posted:

What's a good place to start with Bluegrass?
I'd file myself under "just started" but you'd might as well just start where it started and check some Bill Monroe

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Turd Nelson posted:

I'm looking for weird music. Maybe that's not the right word for it, but I'm looking for any kind of song that is somewhat obscure and catchy.

Here are a few examples of some songs i would call weird:

The Cramps - Human Fly
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPOVmWzeqEo

Southern Culture on the Skids - Camel Walk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUP5rwVNJko

Patti Smith - Rock n' Roll friend of the family
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLIkM4wvcC8

Can anyone recommend me some songs?
that's a really open request but anyway how about

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j70GSW6YMaM
The Fendermen - Mule Skinner Blues

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1emDgEQvFY&feature=related
Messer Chups. All of their stuff sounds mostly like this but they went sorta straight surf later on

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w16NjrKzdXU&feature=related
everything Joe Meek recorded has this sort of sound and The Tornados are rightfully his best-known pet project.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Turd Nelson posted:

My dad used to sing the Mule Skinner Blues, had never heard the original though! That Messer Chups track is amazing and those riffs are drat catchy! Got any other recommendations?
Send me an e-mail @ hunterking a inbox.com let's talk

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Morganus_Starr posted:

I'm always grooving to all the Mercury Program albums, and the new one is pretty good also. Can anyone recommend me any similar music?

A few of the particulars I dig: minimal vocals/instrumental
above average drum technique/percussion/production
xylophones (!!!)
atmospheric but with a somewhat defined song structure

help me out !
They're a little more active but you might like Nomo.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

plogo posted:

I guess this is kinda obvious, but check out the Cambodian Rocks compilations.
or that sleepwalking through the mekong album/compilation that Dengue Fever did this year

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Mr Mojo Risin posted:

I'm looking for similar artists. Not necessarily Irish folk music, but music with a similar punk attitude combined with that same sorta sense of... history? that Shane conveys. The Clash sorta fit in this.
I think I know what you mean about the Clash fitting that and I liked the Mekons for the same reason

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

JehovahsWetness posted:

As to "where should I go with soul", the artists you've listed span a big chunk of time and styles. My usual suggestion to people is to connect groups/people you like via cross membership. Like Curtis Mayfield, check the Impressions. Like The Temptations, check Eddie Kendricks solo. The better thing to do is to follow labels, and the artists you picked are the big ones. Stevie Wonder (Tamla/Motown), Al Green (Hi/Motown), Isaac Hayes (Stax). Get familiar with the Stax & Motown singles, since they define the soul sound for most people and there's a ton of different label comps for both of 'em. Hi, Curtom, Back Beat, T-Neck, Chess were also big national labels worth checking out. Atco, too, since they had Donny Hathaway, King Curtis, Otis Redding, Roberta Flack (I think) but the label wasn't genre specific.
Just to highlight a part of that point, check songwriting credits. For instance, Curtis Mayfield wrote a lot of great songs for artists that didn't get nearly as big. It's easier to check on a 45, but it's worth your while and helps you understand the music

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

OrganicRobot posted:

I'm looking for any type of African/Latin/Middle Eastern music that is heavily displaced from Western Music. Basically, anything that would sound neat to someone who isn't familiar with it. It would help if the music gave a sense of immersion in the culture, if that makes any sense.

These are pretty well-known examples but: Fela Kuti, Buena Vista Social Club, etc
I wouldn't call Fela heavily displaced from Western music given the James Brown influence, but there are numerous compilations on B-Music or Sublime Frequencies such as Shadow Music of Thailand and Sound of Wonder, perhaps Roots of Chicha on Barbes records too, that while influenced by Western music, still sound very unique but aren't as inaccessible as, say, Koto music.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Aside from social connotations of exotification, whichever way gets you to a certain point sounds good and with more understanding of the music the reasons for appreciation will solidify. It's not like OrganicRobot's seeking out African music and really meaning the Lion King soundtrack (as has happened here before). I don't think there's really much wrong for seeking out totally different sounds or even wanting to musically explore the world, and the question is asked in a pretty "I'll take whatever you got" sorta way.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Mr Mojo Risin posted:

I dunno if theres much of a garage revival blues following here, but does anyone know of any bands to go along with the Soledad Brothers, the Greenhornes, Holly Golightly, and early White Stripes? Because this music is awesome and I want more more more
Bantam Rooster, Mr. Airplane Man, and Pearlene and Billy Childish's later stuff with the Blackhands will probably do nicely though you should also check out crunchier modern blues artists like T-Model Ford and RL Burnside

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Raymondo Person posted:

I know this is going to sound ridiculously goony, but what genre could The Neverhood's soundtrack be categorized as and what are some some albums worth trying out?

Virtually all of the "similar artists" on last.fm are other video game soundtrack composers and none of the Allmusic recommendations are all that close so I'm all out of ideas at this point.
I wouldn't bother choosing the right genre for it. I mean, I guess it's folky enough but mostly it's silly noise. The composer is Terry Scott Taylor who's had a bunch of different projects, none of which really sounded like the Neverhood to me. Nothing really has. Probably the closest two things I can think of are Super Chikan or Don Cavalli

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Jarofmoldymayo posted:

As someone who is now dabbling in vinyl collecting [just for the novelty of it really] I'd like some suggestions for some good 70s rock albums, something smooth, maybe prog rock, that I can sit and space out too while I fiddle on my computer [my turntable is hooked up through my soundcard] also preferably something I can pick up used for $nottoomuch$
You can find Moody Blues and Mountain records in thrift stores pretty often. Really, you should just head to a thrift store and scrape up whatever makes you curious

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Endorsing JW 100%, also if you're looking for guitar check out Rev. Charlie Jackson, Elder Utah Smith (the I Got Two Wings compilation also has some Rev. Lonnie Farris) and the aforementioned Overstreet, all of whom have had their work compiled onto CD or vinyl.

I've never heard of any other female guitarists like Rosetta, and the biography I'm reading on her really paints her as unique and a trailblazer for playing guitar and the style she carried as a gospel artist.

Farts Domino fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jun 16, 2010

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

InflateableFerret posted:

I'm going to post 4 songs that I've been obsessed with lately:

King Tuff - A Pretty Dress
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTo7TwMDUME

Ty Segall and Mikal Cronin - Reverse Shark Attack
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCS4OI88vW4

King Khan & BBQ - I'll Be Loving You
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmXHm2Yc2KM

Thee Oh Sees - Block Of Ice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVL3mEwBhBI

so basically, does anyone know any other good garage punk, doo-woppy, surfy music?
In addition to DailyDare's, Sultan was in Les Sexareenos, which I think is still the best thing he's done. He's in the Dum-Dums now but I haven't heard much of that.

Also try Cheap Time, Exploding Hearts, Snake & Jett's Amazing Bullet Band (specifically for Oh Sees), Mach Kung Fu, and to reach back a bit you might like The Honeycombs.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

disporak posted:

one of the best loud guitar bands I've heard in the last year thanks to this interview: http://terminal-boredom.com/larsvshunches.html

Nice to know someone else here likes them. I'm checking out some of the newer bands you mentioned + Dirtnap records (haven't listened to anything on that label for 5 years at least! used to love the Briefs)
Hunches are great. Can I throw in Brimstone Howl? They're doing the echoey thing that a lot of so-called garage bands are doing now but the attitude is just right

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

The Ninth Layer posted:

Could you guys recommend me some good surf rock? I've been listening so some songs on Youtube and really like the genre but don't know where to begin.
Let's do this:
Dick Dale's Greatest Hits (essential)
Barbwires - Searider (very good)
Link Wray - Jack the Ripper (raw sound (not exactly surf))
Pollo Del Mar - Golden State (prog-type surf)
Los Straitjackets - s/t(straight ahead Modern surf)
Man.. or Astroman? - Destroy all Astromen (space sort of modern surf)
Stereophonic Space Sound Unlimited - any (jet set instrumentals)
Jerry Cole & His Spacemen - Power Surf or any other big compilation (normal 60s surf)
Johnny & the Hurricanes - any compilation (50s instrumentals)
Switch Trout - any (speed instrumentals)

Report back with what you like and I can give you infinite more specific recommendations

Tomaquin posted:

Merrell Fankhauser is also worth checking out.
Excellent trolling

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Bondage posted:

Looking for some recommendations for some Taiko. I've listened to a Joji Hirota album and I love it.

Also, any sort of percussion based, instrumental music?
When I took a taiko class I remember my teacher talking about Kodo. That's about it

I can definitely recommend other percussion music but it won't necessarily be as huge and pouding as taiko, is that still what you're looking for?

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

moss piglet posted:

Is there a lot of old instrumental Hawaiian like this out there? I really like the sedate dreaminess of this particular track:

http://soundcloud.com/zoo-music/01-kuu-ipo-i-ka-hee-pue-one/
There definitely is, and if you visit enough thrift stores you'll find it. Roy Smeck is the only name I can think of off the top of my head, but the first CD of the Steelin' It compilation is pretty great by my steel guitar lovin' girlfriend's standards. The rest of the compilation, not so much.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Some of my favorites:

Fire in my Bones: 3 disc comp of raw, footstompin' gospel
Sound of Wonder: 70s Bollywood soundtrack psychedlia
Roots of Chicha: Peruvian psychedelic guitar cumbias
Sons of Yma: Fuzzy Peruvian garage
Strummin' Mental series: the best, wildest 60s surf rock compilations
Vampires, Spacemen, Cowboys and Spooks: 2-disc compilation of Joe Meek produced instrumentals (The Tornados' Telstar times 40)
Weirdsville: strange 45 garage-ish selections
Buffalo Bop's comps are all great, but I think my favorite is Horror Hop, best halloween compilation I know of

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Ras Het posted:

Lollywood, you mean :11tea:
oh dear you're correct

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

The Doo Do Chasers posted:

Whats the best compilation of Delta blues? I know there are tons out there, but I figure there has to be one that is considered the best. On a similar tip, I'm also looking for excellent compilations of country, folk, labor songs (not having a lot of luck with this one), something to get my working class blood boiling. The more comprehensive the better.
you probably know this but Alan Lomax recordings in general could answer both of your questions

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

aliencowboy posted:

I'm looking for some sort of nihilistic post-rock cowboy blues with a lot of slow, whining pedal steel guitar.
That's more or less exactly how I'd describe Friends of Dean Martinez or Spindrift

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

WASDF posted:

Do we have a thread here we could review albums in? This is the closest thread to that topic I could find, sorry if it's off-topic.
*strokes long, white beard* once there were whispers of a review subforum. I think that promise curtailed it happening in NMD. I'd talk to Het but I don't think it's a bad idea (though I don't think this thread is the place)

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Conduit for Sale! posted:

I'm just curious, are there any good female pop singers that produce their own songs?
As far as I can tell Sally Shapiro does

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

RaoulDuke posted:

Looking to get into more early soul/R&B though definitely interested in the more soul side of things. I have best of Ray Charles, his modern sounds of country album, Otis Redding Sings soul ballads and thats pretty much it. Also got some Sam cooke who is kick rear end. Don't know where to start with Aretha Franklin or anyone else for that matter. thanks
Yeah, Stax/Volt singles is usually the default answer but there's also a lot of soul outside of that. I really like the SSS Records collection called Shake What You Brought and to name a few individual artists you might want to check out Syl Johnson, Tony Borders, Betty Wright, Betty Everett, Laverne Baker, Willie West... the list is pretty much infinite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Koaxke posted:

I assumed that you had, but figured I would throw it out there on the slim chance that you hadn't. I'm actually in the market for some reggae myself, since that is the only reggae artist that I know of.
.....why would you respond with a recommendation for a genre you only know one artist of?