Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
Looking for some American Underground or similar music to add to my collection. I've already got all the OMG MUST HAVE albums, and I'd like to know where to go from there.

Obvious last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/buttemaster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004

Admiral Crunch posted:

Looking for some recs on lo-fi/garage/punk. I've been listening to the thermals a lot lately and i realized that i have a really sparse collection when it comes to this. Im looking for stuff from any decade, just stuff in the vein of the black lips, the thermals, titus andronicus, japandroids, etc.

You can't get much more lo-fi than The Screamers. They never even released an album so you have to track down bootlegs.

Early LA Punk with synths instead of guitars: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdCRcrgX080

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004

ARE CHILDREN posted:

Could I get some post-punk with a prominent horn section? Basically, I'm looking for something along the lines of the funkier stuff by The Teardrop Explodes.

try:
James Chance and the Contortions - BUY
Blurt - s/t

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004

Surfer Rosa Parks posted:

I've been getting into 80's hardcore a lot recently, what are some good contemporary hardcore acts? I only really know Gallows (urgh) and hosed Up from the past 5 years.

Brutal Knights (toronto based comedy-hardcore)
Career Suicide (also from toronto, 80s style hxc)
DSB (crazy japanese hardcore)

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
This is kinda odd but I recently went to the Shambhala Music Festival and kinda discovered that I love a certain style of electronic music, I just don't know what kind since there are 10 billion subgenres and it's kinda difficult to wade through them all. I think it's either dnb or dubstep but there's a certain style to it that I can't get over. To provide an example, from about 45 seconds to about 3 minutes in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yI6otAnjj-Q&playnext=1&list=PLA100A294A4257B09 makes me erect. I really like what I assume is the tempo from the dnb and the dark sound of dubstep.

So:
A) Am I correct in naming the genres?
B) Who are some artists that do this kind of dark and fast thing?

I looked through some popular dubstep artists and found I love Excision, kinda like Flux Pavillion and dislike Skrillex (or at least what I've heard) if that helps.