Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aude omnia
Nov 14, 2004

I gave my younger brother my old mp3 player, but he'll need some mp3s to go with it. I like some odd stuff and haven't been sure what to give him. He's a little too old for They Might Be Giants' kid-targeted stuff, but he's not old enough to get over cussin' in music.

He'll listen to drat near anything catchy enough, whether it's Barenaked Ladies or The Clash singles or even M.C. Hammer. :gonk: What's poppy enough to keep his attention, but doesn't suck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aude omnia
Nov 14, 2004

thetruancybot posted:

How old is he? Middle school and early high school kids love The Bends and some OK Computer Radiohead.
He's only 9. :shobon: That's a little much for him, I still have my music from that point kicking around. But I was a weird kid who liked dry depressing stuff like The Walkmen and don't want him to also lead a life of misery & despair. :emo:

aude omnia
Nov 14, 2004

I'm looking for Polish-language music, and dark is good. D-Alternative is the best I've found so far. Any recommendations along similar sonic lines would be appreciated. :)

aude omnia
Nov 14, 2004

Darth Brookz posted:

Boards of Canada sounds like they might be up your alley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRRTOnXOZsM

if you have heard of them.. sorry!
Never apologize for Boards of Canada! I've started using them while I write, too. Ulrich Schnauss might also serve this purpose well.

I need to broaden my horizons. I'm a huge Buck 65 dork and like Aesop Rock, El-P, Pharoahe Monch's album "Desire," Del, Immortal Technique, and some Jay-Z and Kanye tracks. I've listened to some high-weirdness rap & hip-hop like B. Dolan and Why?, but I could always use new names or more local acts I haven't heard of. :)

aude omnia fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Jul 1, 2009

aude omnia
Nov 14, 2004

I'm looking for really minimal music. Electronic or instrumental or, well, maybe vocal, but I can't imagine it. I love the Boards of Canada, and any atmospheric music- I know there's a lot of it- would be good, but good bedtime sounds would be terrific. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aude omnia
Nov 14, 2004

qrj posted:

Here's a wide range of minimalist stuff I highly suggest. Not all of it is sleepy Boards of Canada, electronic type stuff...

Brian Eno - Ambient 1: Music for Airports
Arvo Pärt - Für Alina
Tony Conrad with Faust - Outside the Dream Syndicate
Philip Glass - Solo Piano
Steve Reich - Music for 18 Musicians
Boris - Flood
Glenn Branca - The World Upside Down
La Monte Young - A Well Tuned Piano

... but if that's the kind of stuff you want just invest some time into Brian Eno. There are actually 4 albums that are part of the Ambient series, three of them he plays on, the other one he only produced.
Started getting into these, thanks for the list!

This website is great, very handy.

PoisonedV posted:

Freescha is really good, there is obviously Brian Eno, Circular (a bit experimental, though), Aphex Twin's SAW albums too, and maybe early Luke Vibert/ Wagon Christ. (I guess this may be obvious but I don't know how into this stuff you are)
I haven't listened to Aphex Twin in ages, Freescha is really good.