Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

post-feminist rimjob
Jan 15, 2005

There's no money in poetry, but then there's no poetry in money, either

ArgaWarga posted:

I'm looking for alt-country. I'm currently in love with Blitzen Trapper–I started loving them because they sounded like Pavement on Wild Mountain Nation, but I'll be damned if they didn't win me over with some of their more country-ish songs.

Examples:
Wild Mountain Nation on You Tube.
Their first Daytrotter Session. I particularly like Jericho.
Another Daytrotter session. I'm looking for stuff no more twangy than Stolen Shoes.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations. And if anyone likes Fleet Foxes and hasn't checked out Blitzen Trapper yet, get off your rear end and listen to the Daytrotter stuff.

Blitzen Trapper is a lot closer to alt-folk than alt-country, but check out War Elephant by Deer Tick, Shallow Graves by Tallest Man on Earth, Love is Overtaking Me by Arthur Russell, and All Hour Cymbals by Yeasayer.

I assume you're familiar with Harvest by Neil Young and Astral Weeks by Van Morrison, but if you somehow haven't listened to them yet, they're still the standard by which all other alt-folk albums are measured.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU