Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrKrankenwagen
Mar 21, 2005

Could anyone recommend some hard rock or metal bands that make decent use of the piano? I've been listening to a lot of Anathema lately, and I love the piano parts. But I'd like the non piano parts to be a bit heavier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrKrankenwagen
Mar 21, 2005

Earlier in the thread someone recommended Regina Spektor to another poster and I fell in love with her music. Could anyone recommend something similar? Nice piano with a beautiful voice.

DrKrankenwagen
Mar 21, 2005

Sum Ergo Sum posted:

As Surfer Rosa Parks said, Tori Amos is good. Also, try Fiona Apple or Nellie McKay- Fiona Apple has more of a jazzy feel and Nellie McKay is all over the place, but both are definitely worth checking out.

Thanks for the recommendations guys. But none of those artists really do it for me the way Regina Spektor does. I don't know what it is about her. I usually listen to metal, but I can't stop listening to her.

On that note, I posted a recommendation request a few pages back that seemed to have been overlooked. Does anyone have any good recommendations on metal/rock with a heavy focus on the piano? I've been listening to a lot of Anathema lately, and I'd love to hear similar stuff. I'm not a big fan of the orchestral stuff, I just love the piano.

DrKrankenwagen
Mar 21, 2005

Earlier in the thread someone recommended the song Such Small Hands by La Dispute. Does anyone know anything similar to that song? I love the guitar and the "creepiness" of the whole song. I guess it would be considered post hardcore? Anything more melodic than the standard hardcore should do. I can't really be any more specific since I don't usually listen to it.

DrKrankenwagen
Mar 21, 2005

Thanks for the post-hardcore recommendations guys, most of them are pretty good.

Now I'm going to ask for something completely different. I've never been big into pop or club type music. I'm looking for recommendations of club remixes of popular songs. I've been listening to United States of Pop 2009, and am loving the hell out of it. But that's really as far as my experience goes with that type of music.

I've also been trying to get into some rap. Again, I really don't have any experience with the genre. But I love Hypnotize by Biggie Smalls if that's any help.

DrKrankenwagen
Mar 21, 2005

I'm hosting my first BBQ at my new apartment on Sunday. What kind of music can I play that's not Creedence Clearwater, Bruce Springsteen, and Eric Clapton. Their will be a good mix of young and old. I mostly listen to metal so I'm a bit lost as to what to play.

DrKrankenwagen
Mar 21, 2005

This is going to sound very vague, and I apologize. I've never liked or listened to rap for the most part. Recently I came across The Next Episode by Dr. Dre on Spotify and I loved it. I have no idea what genre of rap that song is, but I liked every bit of it.

Any recommendations on where to start my adventure into rap based on that?

Edit: Found the "Where do I start with" thread, so I posted this in there. Disregard.

DrKrankenwagen fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jun 27, 2012

DrKrankenwagen
Mar 21, 2005

As someone who listens to barely any rap...

I'm looking for something similar to N.W.A's She Watch Channel Zero. I can't stop listening to this song. The Slayer sample makes me blast it every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrKrankenwagen
Mar 21, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

I can tell you barely listen to any because that song is by Public Enemy...

But NWA have similar production to PE!

Ha, I'm a dope sorry. I was listening to N.W.A as I was typing my post. (You're still correct)