Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

farmtrill
Feb 2, 2006

Kivex posted:

I'm also looking for stoner metal, such as Kyuss. Anything more modern/psycadelic?

I'm not huge on hiphop, but I love Gang Starr [particularly above the clouds]
Anything similar to that? I really like hiphop with deep insightful lyrics and rhythms that use obscure instruments or take on foreign themes (eg above the clouds having a japanese styled backdrop)

Cheers

Kyuss were my favourite band for years but as a whole stoner metal is incredibly boring so good luck finding any band half as good as them. They were one of a kind.

As far as Gang Starr goes that's pretty much 100% produced by DJ Premier so you might also like the two albums he did with Jeru the Damaja, similar to Gang Starr but a little darker in theme. Also check out A Tribe Called Quest if you don't already know them, they are well known for having insightful lyrics and were one of the first groups to experiment with different instrumentation (upright bass is featured on many tracks).

Now I'm looking for a recommendation of my own that was overlooked in the last thread. I want something that sounds like Erykah Badu's first album 'Baduizm'. I've yet to find anything that blends the 90s hip-hop sound with soul/r&b so well. I especially like the lyrics and melodies on this mixed with hip-hop beats. D'Angelo is the only thing that comes close but he's not really what I'm looking for here. Badu's later work doesn't really fit the bill either.

Help please!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

farmtrill
Feb 2, 2006

After all this Limp Bizkit chat I was digging out all my old albums from high school and I realised how awesome Mudvayne's LD50 album is. I love the progressive feel and the funk bass. Anything similar to this would be appreciated, bearing in mind I don't like any of their later work.

edit: maybe i should add how awesome the white noise effect his vocals have when he's screaming, that and the clean vocals and don't sound cheesy or over-produced like most metal vocalists that try to sing

farmtrill fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Feb 23, 2009

farmtrill
Feb 2, 2006

Fame Throwa posted:

I'm learning Gaelic and I'm looking for some music so I can get a better feel for the language. What are some good bands? I don't like Enya sort of music so much but that's most of what I find.

Oh man that's bizzare. If you live in Scotland watch the classic De a Nis.

farmtrill
Feb 2, 2006

You want 3 minute songs that will hold the attention for a kid so I'll just recommend what my dad gave me when I was that age:

T-Rex
Clash
The Jam

short, sweet, good.

might even grow up cool

farmtrill
Feb 2, 2006

Foiltha posted:

I've been listening to a lot Erykah Badu lately and gently caress, I've been seriously missing out all these years. She has an absolutely amazing voice, not to mention catchy melodies and funky basslines. The thing is, is there anything else like Erykah out there?

I've asked this a number of times in past recommendation threads and probably this one but no luck really. You might want to look back to some 70s singers to see their influence on her, for example Minnie Riperton is excellent. If you want an album that sounds like Baduizm then good luck cause I've never found one. Maybe try D'Angelo? Similar vibe.

farmtrill
Feb 2, 2006

RomaVictor posted:

What is some good non-vocal jazz that DOESN'T sound like elevator music? Anybody?

I haven't really listened to any "vocal-jazz" before but im pretty entry level so recommend me I guess.

farmtrill
Feb 2, 2006

I got handed the first two blood brothers records today and a 'the plot to blow up the eifel tower' (lame name) cd by someone who buys poo poo on hype so he doesnt have anymore recommendations so hit me up on similar stuff.

farmtrill
Feb 2, 2006

Stagger_Lee posted:

drive like jehu, rocket from the crypt

From what I've listened to so far these bands don't really sound much like what I'm asking for, I'm more interested in the varying tempos in the songs, jazz influences etc.

farmtrill
Feb 2, 2006

ManoliIsFat posted:

have you listened to swing kids yet? plot were basically a swing kids/nation of ulysses ripoff band for a while before they went all dancepunky or whatever hipsterness happened to them.

Ok I'll check them out thanks. I have no clue about this music.

farmtrill
Feb 2, 2006

e:nm

farmtrill
Feb 2, 2006

Songs in the Key of Life
Talking Book

best two albums, and presonally songs... is in my top five of all time

farmtrill
Feb 2, 2006

Try A Tribe Called Quest they are probably something you would like if you enjoy De La.

farmtrill fucked around with this message at 03:54 on May 2, 2009

farmtrill
Feb 2, 2006

Zorodius posted:

Looking for some good instrumental music that isn't too "happy" and conveys a lot of emotion. I really like Philip Glass and NIN's Ghosts, for instance. Post-rock isn't really what I have in mind here. Any suggestions along those lines?

Jazz?

Or perhaps try some 'ambient' music such as Brian Eno.

farmtrill fucked around with this message at 00:26 on May 13, 2009

farmtrill
Feb 2, 2006

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

What are some good hip hop diss/fued tracks? Something like Ja Rule's Loose Change, and 50 Cents and Eminem's response, or the one sided Eminem vs Benzino tracks.

Ice Cube - 'No Vaseline', NWA got hosed on this one. 'Second Round K.O.' is Canibus goin after LL. Some people mention 'Hit Em Up' by 2Pac but personally I think its whack, check it out anyway.

farmtrill
Feb 2, 2006

Tommy Callahan posted:

I've been in a hip-hop/rap kind of mood lately. I'm a big fan of Wu-Tang, and along with all the Wu-Tang albums, have almost all of their albums as single artists (Rza, Ghostface, GZA) what are some rappers/groups that I might enjoy? I also loved the new Big Boi album as well.

ill recommend some of my favourite east coast albums that are similar to wu tang:

jeru the damaja - the sun rises in the east
showbiz and a.g. - goodfellas
black moon - enta da stage
mobb deep - the infamous
smif n wessun - dah shinin

these are all pretty dark/grimy sounding and a good place to move onto after wu

farmtrill
Feb 2, 2006

can i please have recs for fuzzed out bands like 'pure x'? cool vocalist would be a bonus

thanks

farmtrill
Feb 2, 2006

looking for jazz similar to ahmad jamal's freeflight & outertimeinnerspace

farmtrill
Feb 2, 2006

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Been rendering a fractal morph animation for the last month or so and need something to go along with it as audio. It's sort of like this, but made in a different program with different formulas and rendering settings so it takes an insane amount of time to go through all the computations. It's going to be shifting the Y value of this set of parameters from 0 to 13 to see all the changes in structure as it moves, and the way I set it up it just happened to come out at 52 seconds.

i think this is exactly what you are looking for https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUK5mvUzsXw

or alternatively i could post like the 20 different rap skits i have ;)

farmtrill
Feb 2, 2006

david puddy posted:

I didn't mean quite that minimal, I am looking for melody based stuff rather than ambient. I have some of Eno's releases and like them but they're not what I'm after. I'll check out the other suggestions tomorrow though, thanks.

philip glass, his solo piano stuff is my favourite but his other music is catchier and less minimal https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BioylrW8jhU

if you enjoy that type of thing then also try some satie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-Xm7s9eGxU

farmtrill
Feb 2, 2006

while there is piano chat going on could someone knowledgeable about jazz help with this unfilled request i made a while back? i want stuff that sounds like ahmad jamal's outertimeinnerspace. the songs have an almost psychedelic quality that is missing from most of the jazz i know, but really i dont know anything 70s jazz and beyond.

farmtrill
Feb 2, 2006

the posted:

Looking for more "Rappers yelling as loud as they can" a-la "Ante Up" and "Slam". Suggestions?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaq025i3XK8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

farmtrill
Feb 2, 2006

bomblol posted:

I have this tripping playlist set up. I don't really like listening to the stereotypical psy trance or whatever, instead I prefer mostly upbeat-ish, electronic or noise tinge pop/rock. So far, it's composed of Starfucker - Reptilians, Dan Deacon - Bromst, The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots, Black Moth Super Rainbow - Eating Us, Neon Indian - Psychic Chasms. (Also it has fang island and gatto fritto but I'm thinking of removing those as they don't fit much.) I know these are all sorta disparate, but any suggestions on what more I can add?

terry riley - a rainbow in curved air and spiritualized - ladies and gentlemen we are floating in space are my 2 favourite albums to trip to so give them a try. ive also had good experiences with gas - pop and the 1st 2 velvet underground albums. im sure youve probably already tried the beatles.

e: i forgot spacemen 3, definitely check them out, especially the sound of confusion album