Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."
I enjoyed the first two movies and was looking forward to this "prequel" in the hopes it could flesh out the background. I was not overly hyping the movie and understood for the most part it would be a pretty standard cookie cutter romance/uprising layout. I was able to leave the movie content with a a few unintentionally hailarious moments (The sex scene, and Victor's dialogue.) under my belt.

The movie starts off intresting enough explaining how Lucian was born and how well endowed he is, peachy... The movie overall drags along drunk and unposed as the love affair is quicky explained, cobbled together then beaten with a club. Michael Sheen does however play his part quite well and gave me some moments where I connected to his character about as clearly as looking through a pitcher of beer.

The Lycans are only shown in very brief segments near the beginning, a few minutes in the middle and finally thrown out near the end. For what relatively little screen time they get they are badass and had me giggling like a twink.

Other than the bland setting, plot, feeble werewolf screentime and supporting characters the biggest grip I had was the loving shaky came everytime someone did something faster than a snails pace. The fighting scenes was muddled by this and confusing. I loving hate shaky cam.

3.5 / 5

It was ok. It is rentable in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robotic_Towel
Sep 1, 2005

Not Machine Washable
I was pretty let down I have to say. I walked into the first Underworld movie not having any idea what it was about, my two friends just took me. I was pretty impressed with it, I thought it was very sleek, had some pretty impressive dialog and some snazzy visual effects.

The second movie I was pretty excited for, and it did not disappoint. Not as good as the first one, but still some really cool stuff went down, good dialog and character interaction, and some brutally awesome action.

From the first time I heard about the prequel, I was a bit apprehensive, I really didn't think the series needed a prequel. The flashbacks in the first and second movie I thought did a pretty good job of telling you what you needed to know, and left the rest to your imagination, which is the way I like it. But no, Rise of the Lycans decided that we are in fact, all retards, and had to explain every single aspect of the movie to us. You know how some movies will leave subtle hints on screen for just a brief second and later on you feel awesome for catching it earlier, and you get the "Ah! I knew something was up!" feeling. In Rise of the Lycans, the camera was panning in on these "subtle" hints and zooming up, with a little flashing festival parade going "Hey look at this, it will be important later! Look!"

The action was nifty, as can be expected from this series, but as Kotaru already said, the god damned shaky cam makes it exceedingly difficult to tell what the gently caress is going on, mixed with seizure lightning, just to be sure you can't enjoy the neck slicing.

All around, I'd give it a

3/5

I have to admit though, the ballista catching the dude in the face when the lycans were escaping was awesome. So was the the shot that pinned like four dudes to the wall. I'm sure that guy got high-fived.

Zombie Layne
Aug 16, 2008

by Ozma
I caught this movie from a late night rental and I recommend you watch it while high or drunk because it's barely tolerable otherwise. The gist of the story is that Lycans (werewolves) were once slaves to some snooty aristocratic vampire class who also ruled over humans in a feudal kingdom. The vampires use the Lycans as protection and manual labor while the human class bring them silver, gold, and other baubles. The Lycan slaves were created by a freak "chosen one" child born as human from a werewolf who is the main protagonist in the film.

There's also some romance hook where the vampire leader's daughter falls in love with the werewolf slave. This displeases Vampire Daddy greatly which sets off a whole plot point which forces the werewolf slave to lead a spartacus/John Brown style uprising to overthrow the oppressive yoke of the bloodsucking white man. There's even a big black sidekick slave just to round out this point. All hell breaks loose and there's some obligatory slow motion flipping in the air upside down with swords action scenes that's all the rage these days.

All in all this movie is pure trash. I can't say it's good trash because the first two underworld movies were at least entertaining because of the contemporary setting. This prequel is trying too hard to ape Lord of the rings, Braveheart, Spartacus, etc.. when it should have concentrated on just being entertaining schlock. There are some decent moments though such as the action chase scenes on horseback which keeps me from hitting the 1. I was also disappointed at the lack of titties.

2/5