Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Replicant-001
Aug 17, 2004

This is for discussion of action figures, DC Direct, Toybiz Marvel Legends and statue megathread. Now you might need archives access to get to some of these.

The previous megathread I can be found here - > click here

The previous megathread II can be found here - > click here

The previous megathread III can be found here - > click here

The previous megathread IV can be found here - > click here

The previous megathread V can be found here - > click here

The previous megathread VI can be found here - > click here

The previous megathread VII can be found here - > click here

-------------------------------------------

SAMART: The BSS Action Figure* Swap Meet! - > click here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.
Hey I just caught the GI Joe Superbowl spot on Youtube and I realized I didn't hear much word about when the action figure tie-ins are supposed to hit. I saw reviews for the Sienna Miller Baroness toy (whose facial features didn't really strike a chord with me) but I wondered if anyone had any info on the release dates of those suckers?

Also first page! Hooray!

I'm probably really late in the game, but I also spraypainted my Mark 2 with Silver Paint and thought it looked a lot better, since the one they released seemed a bit too "War Machine-ish" to me. Also I still hate this thing because of the bizarre loose knee-joint problem that only seems to plaugue the Mark 2's.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Consider my mind blown, Shocker toys actually released something.

http://www.action-figure.com/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=24415

That, Duke Nukem Forever, and Chinese Democracy were the trifecta of things that once all released will bring about the end of the world. We're only one away now.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Fish Of Doom posted:

That, Duke Nukem Forever, and Chinese Democracy were the trifecta of things that once all released will bring about the end of the world. We're only one away now.

Too bad they won't sell half as well as the Legendary Comic Heroes line did.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Fish Of Doom posted:

I'll believe it when I have one in my hands. I wouldn't mind having a couple of Iszs though. I only got one that came with my old McFarlane Maxx figure. He needs many to fight in the Outback!

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Djarum posted:

I'll believe it when I have one in my hands. I wouldn't mind having a couple of Iszs though. I only got one that came with my old McFarlane Maxx figure. He needs many to fight in the Outback!

Well it took almost two years to get them in the packaging, it will probably take another two years to get them on the shelves.

TheKingPuuChuu
Oct 13, 2005

Reality leaves a lot to the imagination.
You know, I just had a thought. Today I was going through a box, and I still have a "Fathom" exclusive figure from Wizard from god knows how many years ago....

So I wonder, outside of Ebay, is there an official place to find prices on these sort of things?

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

TheKingPuuChuu posted:

You know, I just had a thought. Today I was going through a box, and I still have a "Fathom" exclusive figure from Wizard from god knows how many years ago....

So I wonder, outside of Ebay, is there an official place to find prices on these sort of things?

Price guides are a joke. Ebay is the best gage for prices. That figure I hate to tell you isn't really worth much at all. If it is the one I am thinking about it does have a nice sculpt though.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
So what's the word on the movie-related GI Joe toys? I know they are coming.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.

TheKingPuuChuu posted:

Yeah like the guy above said, priceguides are typically a joke because you need to be more concerned with actual market value. eBay being the leader in moving secondary market action figures, it wouldn't be easy to find anyone willing to buy a figure for too much above eBay prices.

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Yeah my question was ignored :(

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Rubiks Pubes posted:

We'll find out more next week at NYCC.

TheKingPuuChuu
Oct 13, 2005

Reality leaves a lot to the imagination.

Jet Ready Go posted:

Yeah like the guy above said, priceguides are typically a joke because you need to be more concerned with actual market value. eBay being the leader in moving secondary market action figures, it wouldn't be easy to find anyone willing to buy a figure for too much above eBay prices.

Yeah my question was ignored :(

Ahh, oh well, guess I'll just keep it around for fun and for the fact that it is quite nice looking.

Thanks guys!

Replicant-001
Aug 17, 2004

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Hasn't been solicited to retailers as far as I know but Toy Fair is coming up so big box retailer should be getting the jump before specialty market does.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Fish Of Doom posted:

It hasn't been released, they just showed samples.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Satsuki posted:

Whew. The world is safe. For now.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Satsuki posted:

Is it really that hard to actually release a figure? I mean, it can't be that hard as companies do it on a daily basis but for some reason Shocker just can't get the knack for coming up with an idea and sending it through the development lifecycle.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

RevKrule posted:

Is it really that hard to actually release a figure? I mean, it can't be that hard as companies do it on a daily basis but for some reason Shocker just can't get the knack for coming up with an idea and sending it through the development lifecycle.

I think Shocker is some sort of Ponzi scheme or tax haven for someone. Something just is not right with them.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

RevKrule posted:

Honestly I think they can't come up with the money to pay the factory to put things in full production. The fact that they do have a factory sample, though, is promising ... because you usually don't get that far without the intention to put them in production.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.
Picked up an Ozymandias today from the Watchmen movie line. I have to say, it is perhaps one of the nicest looking toys I've bought in recent history. I was speaking with the store owner, and he made a good description, that the new toys are essentially the step between the comic and the movie. Just realistic enough and just comic booky enough.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Some stuff is already coming in regarding NYCC. There's a brief review of the new 3.75" Marvel figures, and...well...

quote:

Now my innitial, gut wrenching reaction to these pictures is..shoddy paints and a soft sculpt. Hasbro is going to have to explore Star Wars level details before I consider 9 dollars an acceptable price for smaller than Marvel Legends sized figures.

http://www.action-figure.net/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=24420

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

quote:

Hey Guys!
So I just found out that the 6" news that I mentioned earlier will
actually be on display at SDCC, and Not NYCC!!!! (I got the SD and the
NY confused whoops!)
But please swing by the Marvel Booth this weekend at the NYCC and check
out
the new Marvel Universe 3.75" figures Hasbro will have at the booth.
There's going to be a lot of stuff there you are going to love!
Best!
Jesse
This guy I tell ya.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Stage of History posted:

This guy I tell ya.

I took that as a kinda slap in the face. Not only is he saying he basically lied, but then plug the 4 inch line in the same breath takes some real balls, especially in that thread.

I don't have much faith in Hasbro's Marvel product in the future. If that is true there is not going to be any 6 inch product this year if they are waiting until SDCC, since they will also be missing NY Toy Fair. No Toy Fair = no buyers, no buyers = no product.

And the 4 inch line is looking like it is going to go over like a lead balloon. I have never seen collectors outright hostile towards a toyline. I haven't seen anyone give it any actual praise. The best I have seen is some lackluster reviews. Hasbro can't really be that much out of the loop and thinking this line is going to be a success?

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Djarum posted:

And the 4 inch line is looking like it is going to go over like a lead balloon. I have never seen collectors outright hostile towards a toyline. I haven't seen anyone give it any actual praise. The best I have seen is some lackluster reviews. Hasbro can't really be that much out of the loop and thinking this line is going to be a success?

What honestly blows my mind is that the MSRP is $8.99! Holy loving christ! I don't think there's any circumstance where I would pay nine dollars for a poorly painted tiny figure of a character who's had infinitely better figures made of it. DCUC is $8.99 at Target right now, and those are arguably the best mass retail toy line currently on the market.

There goes your collector market. $9 is also steep for kids too, especially since all you get for $9 is one figure. DC's smaller figures are $5, and kids could buy almost 2 of those for every one Marvel 4" scale figure.

And Hasbro can absolutely be out of the loop. The reason the Indiana Jones toy line died is 80% Hasbro's fault. Until the end, they still swore that Shia Lebouf figures were big sellers. People were telling them otherwise in every Q&A, and they kept denying it. Now I go to Wal-mart and that one figure with the snake is all that's left on the pegs. People won't even pay $2 for that figure. Instead the figures that people want like the last crusade and temple of doom waves, were all only 1 figure per case.

Hasbro really can be as dumb as you think.

Edit: http://nycc08.figures.com/showphoto.php?photo=1926
Fuuuuck, I could probably paint it better than that.

Also, haha, the new Movie Masters packaging sucks
http://nycc08.figures.com/showphoto.php?photo=565

Fish Of Doom fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Feb 4, 2009

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

Fish Of Doom posted:

What honestly blows my mind is that the MSRP is $8.99! Holy loving christ! I don't think there's any circumstance where I would pay nine dollars for a poorly painted tiny figure of a character who's had infinitely better figures made of it. DCUC is $8.99 at Target right now, and those are arguably the best mass retail toy line currently on the market.

There goes your collector market. $9 is also steep for kids too, especially since all you get for $9 is one figure. DC's smaller figures are $5, and kids could buy almost 2 of those for every one Marvel 4" scale figure.

And Hasbro can absolutely be out of the loop. The reason the Indiana Jones toy line died is 80% Hasbro's fault. Until the end, they still swore that Shia Lebouf figures were big sellers. People were telling them otherwise in every Q&A, and they kept denying it. Now I go to Wal-mart and that one figure with the snake is all that's left on the pegs. People won't even pay $2 for that figure. Instead the figures that people want like the last crusade and temple of doom waves, were all only 1 figure per case.

Hasbro really can be as dumb as you think.

Edit: http://nycc08.figures.com/showphoto.php?photo=1926
Fuuuuck, I could probably paint it better than that.

Also, haha, the new Movie Masters packaging sucks
http://nycc08.figures.com/showphoto.php?photo=565

Haha everything about your post was entertaining. Those Shocker toys look like they were painting by someone with Parkinsons.

.. and I have a feeling those Movie Masters packaging are just for the reissued Movie Masters. I think they'll still keep their premium box for the new wave that comes out, I think it was a movie to avoid confusion in the aisles and make sure their newer product sticks out against their older offerings.

As for SPEED RACER toys.. who the gently caress actually buys those?

Onslaught <3
http://nycc08.figures.com/showphoto.php?photo=708

Why aren't there any pictures of the little Marvel figures? I'm interested in them because I like that scale, but from everything I've heard they all would be in leagues worse in terms of quality and detail than the GI Joe line. :(

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Jet Ready Go posted:

Onslaught <3

Nemesis?

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Jet Ready Go posted:

Haha everything about your post was entertaining. Those Shocker toys look like they were painting by someone with Parkinsons.

.. and I have a feeling those Movie Masters packaging are just for the reissued Movie Masters. I think they'll still keep their premium box for the new wave that comes out, I think it was a movie to avoid confusion in the aisles and make sure their newer product sticks out against their older offerings.

As for SPEED RACER toys.. who the gently caress actually buys those?

Onslaught <3

Why aren't there any pictures of the little Marvel figures? I'm interested in them because I like that scale, but from everything I've heard they all would be in leagues worse in terms of quality and detail than the GI Joe line. :(

Because you are looking at NYCC 2008 pictures.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

:drat:
That Maxx proto was probably painted by Kyle Robinson who is normally a much better painter. I don't get it.
On Fwoosh, the 4" line is being met with mixed reviews. Some are saying they'll pick and choose, some are saying they're really excited, others are boycotting it.
I'm going to skip it. That's not the size I like my dolls in and I just got rid of most my SW stuff.
That being said, anyone need an AT TE :hehe:

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Satsuki posted:

Because you are looking at NYCC 2008 pictures.

Wow, I didn't even realize that. People on another board were posting pictures of it and I guess I thought it was real and didn't even bother to check.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Don't gently caress this up Mattel

quote:

Sony Pictures Consumer Products and Mattel, Inc. announced today the development of a new collectible line of toys based on the world’s favorite poltergeist fighting team, the Ghostbusters, including an extensive cast of ghosts and ghostbusters – celebrating the 25th anniversary of the frightfully funny classic film “Ghostbusters.”

Mattel’s “Ghostbusters” collectible line debuts with 12-inch figures in June 2009, and will be available exclusively at MattyCollector.com. Each figure will feature window box packaging and include authentic Ghostbuster equipment unique to each character. For the first time, Mattel’s line will include talent likeness of Egon Spengler, Ray Stantz, Peter Venkman and Winston Zeddemore. Select prototype figures will be on display February 6-8 at New York Comic Con and February 15 at Mattel’s New York Toy Fair Collector Preview Night (by invitation only).

”We have assembled a quality group of licensing partners to support and celebrate the anniversary for one of Columbia Pictures' most cherished properties. Mattel’s line-up of collector toys is the perfect complement to what will be a great selection of 25th anniversary product,” said Juli Boylan, Senior Vice President, Sony Pictures Consumer Products Worldwide.

“Ghostbusters” collectors can also look forward to 6-inch figures, with one debuting at San Diego Comic Con in July 2009. Sculpted by Four Horsemen Studios, the team currently working on Mattel’s popular DC Universe™ Classics and Masters of the Universe® Classics collectible lines, the 6-inch line will come complete with authentic “Ghostbusters” equipment and ghost.

“There haven’t been many comedic blockbusters over the past quarter century as memorable and loved as ‘Ghostbusters,’” said Tim Kilpin, GM for Boys, Girls & Games, Mattel, Inc. “We are honored to participate in the celebration of the film’s 25th anniversary by creating the most extensive line of ‘Ghostbusters’ collectibles ever.”

Mattel will also create characters and ghosts from the classic animated series, “The Real Ghostbusters,” to go along with the classic “Ghostbusters” film.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Sounds like it could be a fun line.

I wish NECA had been able to get the rights though originally.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

Satsuki posted:

Sounds like it could be a fun line.

I wish NECA had been able to get the rights though originally.

Well if Mattel is going to introduce this as part of their Movie Masters line I can't see anything going wrong. Those figures were some of the best sculpted and durable figures I've ever seen mass produced.

Neca made figures with bizarre plastic that seemed easily mangled and warped.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Thats so fuckin awesome. I got the dvd boxed set of The Real Ghostbusters for Christmas, and was bummed I didn't have any of the toys anymore. Checking online did me no good to find anything complete. So this will be awesome to have movie likenesses as well as cartoon likenesses.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Also did the Nemesis ML set hit stores yet? The site I found with pictures of them says they're a Wal-Mart Dec 08 exclusive.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

The Rage posted:

Also did the Nemesis ML set hit stores yet? The site I found with pictures of them says they're a Wal-Mart Dec 08 exclusive.

Nope. No 2nd Wave of Two Pack either. Hasbro won't give a word on when/if they are ever going to come out.

That Nemesis wave really pisses me off since they have been showing it off for 2 loving years now. If it is shown at SDCC without being released like I know it will, that will be 3 years. If I was Marvel I would be ashamed at how Hasbro has been treating the license.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

It's just one line that the suits don't really care about. I doubt they notice.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Stage of History posted:

It's just one line that the suits don't really care about. I doubt they notice.

Well the guys running the Transformers and G.I. Joe lines seem to interact and listen to the communities surrounding those lines. The guys doing the Marvel stuff just don't.

And seeing what Mattel is doing with the DC stuff just makes Hasbro look even worse. There are many valid complaints about the DC stuff, but you have to hand it to Mattel that they are really going above and beyond to try and make the fans happy with the stuff constantly.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Toy Biz wasn't great either, so it's not suprised that that continued, especially with Jesse back.
He did Q+As and stuff and be cryptic every so often, then vanish, and nothing would be fixed.
So really, nothing new.
Also, oil is back to 40 a barrel and it's being reflected in gas prices.
Will we see this reflected in dolls anytime soon ... no :(

Snacksmaniac fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Feb 5, 2009

Solidus
Nov 1, 2005

ε===(っ≧ω≦)っ♡
http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=HMV78025F
dunno if this has been posted yet, but they are all awesome.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

Solidus posted:

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=HMV78025F
dunno if this has been posted yet, but they are all awesome.

Oh man that Sabretooth is too adorable.. hhaha..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
So according to various sources that Nemesis wave has arrived at various online retailers today.

And then sold out almost everywhere in less than a hour.