Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The game ruled, that is all that mattered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Rhyno posted:

The game ruled, that is all that mattered.

I dunno, considering JK came out less than a year later, it was sorta crap by comparison. It's really hard to go back to and play SotE and enjoy it. JK is still playable today and it's pretty solid... dated as hell like all 90s 3D games, but the level design and whatnot were solid.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
Don't know if anybody wants it but the Mandarin Spawn by McFarlane is only $7 on Amazon right now for some reason. Like even if you don't care about the figure that price is way too good to not buy and throw in the closet if you have even a passing interest in it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08FPGJX3B?psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&ref_=chk_typ_imgToDp

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Louisgod posted:

Don't know if anybody wants it but the Mandarin Spawn by McFarlane is only $7 on Amazon right now for some reason. Like even if you don't care about the figure that price is way too good to not buy and throw in the closet if you have even a passing interest in it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08FPGJX3B?psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&ref_=chk_typ_imgToDp

Thanks for the heads up. I nabbed one. I've seen this at Target a few times and he does look quite cool. Not $20 cool, but certainly $7 cool.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Louisgod posted:

Mandarin Spawn.... if you have even a passing interest in it
Nope

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Are people generally good at getting stuff out on Mercari? I ordered from someone on Saturday afternoon and what I think is their matching ebay listing is still up.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Fuzz posted:

Yeah, for those that read the book before the game and also weren't like 10 years old, Dash was super lame.

Kyle, meanwhile, was the loving MAN.

Counterpoint: they’re both cool and good.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

I get it, best to hold out until it hits the $4 mark, smart move

Burning Beard
Nov 21, 2008

Choking on bits of fallen bread crumbs
Oh, this burning beard, I have come undone
It's just as I've feared. I have, I have come undone
Bugger dumb the last of academe

Can I have a little venting?

I live in a stupidly isolated place that sucks major rear end. Nearest "big city" is 8 hours away. Two Wal-Marts, one Target, two Game Stops.

South Wal-Mart: I honestly don't think they have had toy inventory in four years. I went three weeks ago and the entire isle was completely bare. Nothing, at all. I collect Black Series and they have not had any Black Series since, no poo poo, 2018 and that's only because I scanned a Death Star Trooper for $4 (Black Series).

Stabby Wal-Mart (yeah, couple of stabbings at this one): I got my COVID shot here and they had stuff. I actually picked up a Bad Batch figure and another one I cannot remember right now.

Target: Oh man. I hate them. They had the vintage Mando figures on rack but when I tried to buy them (April 29) they were reserved for "May 1st". Guess who didn't get any vintage Mando figures. I have been there a few times a week for two months... nothing. Today (7/26) was particularly bad, the shelves were bare. They have not had ANY Star Wars figures since May. They did, however, have nine Major Bludds last week. I don't collect GI Joe but he looked cool.

Game Stops: OK. I have picked up an exclusive and some other stuff. No complaints!

Oh, Books-A-Million: They have inventory sometimes. I bought the OG Dorthy figure from NECA there, she was worth it. But they wanted a ridiculous goddamn price for fancy Destro, like $40.

I don't think the Target out here even got the Clone Wars Black Series.

Dorkside, by the way, was awesome. They had stock, shipping was quick and product was packed really well.

Burning Beard fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jul 26, 2021

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Big Mean Jerk posted:

A freighter of the same type as the Outrider also popped up in Rebels and they’ve namedropped Black Sun a lot, so all we need now is a Leebo-type droid to appear in Bad Batch or Mando.

OK I'm not going to go back and watch The Last Skywalker or whatever (actually had to struggle to remember the name) but wasn't there some scene in there with like a ton of ships coming to the rescue and one of them was the Outrider?

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Burning Beard posted:

Target: They did, however, have nine Major Bludds last week. I don't collect GI Joe but he looked cool.

:negative:

Bludd and BBQ are the two glaring holes in my classified collection. They just don't seem to exist in Canada, despite that toysrus dot see eh claims to be sold out.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

OK I'm not going to go back and watch The Last Skywalker or whatever (actually had to struggle to remember the name) but wasn't there some scene in there with like a ton of ships coming to the rescue and one of them was the Outrider?

Unless it was mentioned by name in the novelization or something it was probably just a ship of the same type. The one that popped up in Rebels wasn’t the Outrider either, just another YT-2400.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Unless it was mentioned by name in the novelization or something it was probably just a ship of the same type. The one that popped up in Rebels wasn’t the Outrider either, just another YT-2400.

Nerd

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Splint Chesthair posted:

I recently re-read Shadows of the Empire for the first time since the 90s and holy poo poo that book spends a lot of time saying “wow this Dash Rendar guy is so much like Han Solo I can’t believe it!”

Specifically there’s a moment where Rendar is flying the Outrider as Leia watches him from the Falcon and the narration makes it clear just how much Dash flies JUST LIKE HAN.

It's a terrible, terrible book. Frankly like most star wars books. Fanfic is more entertaining because it's free and not trying to pretend it's nothing more than fanfic. Officially sanctioned books that are "canon" are mostly laughable at best.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Did they ever make a figure of that sex ninja robot bodyguard the dude had?

On one hand, I cannot imagine trying to explain that particular character's backstory to a parent who's kid wants to buy the toy, but on the other hand I know they made figures of everything shy of luke's dead family ashes, so I can't really imagine Hasbro/ken leaving money on the table.

Kyle was the man though, I loved in JK and JK2 you could force push assholes off cliffs and into random pits and lethal open engine sections cause the empire didn't have an OSHA dept whatsoever. Turn on that insta kill saber cheat and just go hog wild amputating arms and legs and sometimes even your own head if you didn't get the spinny saber move where to toss it done correctly.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

It's a terrible, terrible book. Frankly like most star wars books. Fanfic is more entertaining because it's free and not trying to pretend it's nothing more than fanfic. Officially sanctioned books that are "canon" are mostly laughable at best.

All of the "expanded universe" stuff has always been fanfic they just got to get the official logo slapped on the covers.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Did they ever make a figure of that sex ninja robot bodyguard the dude had?

On one hand, I cannot imagine trying to explain that particular character's backstory to a parent who's kid wants to buy the toy, but on the other hand I know they made figures of everything shy of luke's dead family ashes, so I can't really imagine Hasbro/ken leaving money on the table.

Kyle was the man though, I loved in JK and JK2 you could force push assholes off cliffs and into random pits and lethal open engine sections cause the empire didn't have an OSHA dept whatsoever. Turn on that insta kill saber cheat and just go hog wild amputating arms and legs and sometimes even your own head if you didn't get the spinny saber move where to toss it done correctly.

The Death Star was absolutely loaded with bottomless pits you could easily stumble into that seemed to serve no practical purpose. The Empire probably wasn't big on safety regulations.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Jul 27, 2021

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

CPL593H posted:

All of the "expanded universe" stuff has always been fanfic they just got to get the official logo slapped on the covers.

Yeah I should have said that because it gets the official logo that causes poo poo-tons of people getting angry that these so called canon stories don't hold any water in any of the movies or shows that come later whereas unofficial fanfic is enjoyed by people (or mocked, sure) but is not seen as anything more than pure entertainment.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Todd got the ghost of DC Collectibles

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Todd

For the love of gently caress

Re-release Death of Superman

I was never able to get that set when it was out, Todd, do this for me

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I bet he teases that loving Doctor Fate helmet every year and it still won't get made.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

they never let me wear that but I definitely wore the Wonder Woman tiara around the toy fair booth one year

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I was blown away by how dumb it was when I read it the second time. When I was a kid I was mostly focused on how the plot fit in with the movies and just absorbed all the little details. Approaching it as a work on its own and not as CANON was a mistake.

Everything about how it handles the characters is so forced and sweaty, especially Poochie, I mean Dash Rendar.

The N64 game was pretty good, though. And the fact that the action figure cards were purple meant I could skip over them easily at KB.

Edit: “When I was a kid,” Jesus. I was in high school when SOTE came out, lol.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
With the release of the Ghostbusters trailer, Hasbro put out this pic:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Karma Tornado posted:

they never let me wear that but I definitely wore the Wonder Woman tiara around the toy fair booth one year

I got to try it on when I visited the offices. Definitely not designed around a human head.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

The press release implies that one of these kids is named Podcast.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Rhyno posted:

Spent about 2 hours listing stuff on Mercari last night. 22 listings created, 3 sales already. I really like this platform and I'm up about $2000 since I started. So I pulled out 4 bins and have about 40 lots to photograph and prep for tonight when I get up. I highly recommend this app.

I'm gonna give Mercari a try because ebay has gotten crazy with the bank account/irs stuff. I was selling $500-$1000 a year but definitely not making any profit. Mostly just clearing out stuff. Last thing I need is another thing on my taxes.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Unfortunately no where online will be safe from IRS tax rules for much longer. Mercari will have to issue 1099 next year as well. As part of the American Recovery or whatever act, they cracked down on what they believe to be tax loop holes in the gig-economy. The limit for 1099 reporting will go from $20k (much too high) to just $600 (absurdly low). This is the last year to sell things off which out too much headache.

I do worry about the effects this will have on the overall collectors market. Probably less outright scalpers, but then maybe less overall demand? Knowing it's going to be harder to clear out old stuff on eBay that I changed my mind on will make me hesitant to buy in the first place.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

iceyman posted:

Unfortunately no where online will be safe from IRS tax rules for much longer. Mercari will have to issue 1099 next year as well. As part of the American Recovery or whatever act, they cracked down on what they believe to be tax loop holes in the gig-economy. The limit for 1099 reporting will go from $20k (much too high) to just $600 (absurdly low). This is the last year to sell things off which out too much headache.

I do worry about the effects this will have on the overall collectors market. Probably less outright scalpers, but then maybe less overall demand? Knowing it's going to be harder to clear out old stuff on eBay that I changed my mind on will make me hesitant to buy in the first place.

Crazy. Like I said I really don't make a much if any profit selling stuff so getting taxed on sales is pretty messed up. Meanwhile billionaires don't pay poo poo.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Anybody have recs for a good one of those acrylic risers you put in a Detolf to display figs or does any generic Amazon listing work?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
What scale figures?

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Probably 7" NECAs mostly

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Holy poo poo I got a shipping notification from Target for my Cobra Viper! It’s real!

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow
Heads up, if you pre-ordered the Krang Body from NECA check your doorsteps. Mine arrived today with zero notification.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

Jesus even the toys look bored.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

The_Doctor posted:

They look so adorable in their oversized outfits :allears:

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

CPL593H posted:

Jesus even the toys look bored.

She looks happy?

I don't see bored here.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

The Last Call posted:

She looks happy?

I don't see bored here.

She looks dead in the eyes like she's only there because she has to be. RC car kid just looks completely checked out, Stranger Things looks like he's just anywhere else, and Baby Egon looks like she's never known joy and oh god I just realized that they're all supposed to represent a member of the original Ghostbusters

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jul 28, 2021

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I’d hazard a guess that you didn’t like the new trailer.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Open Marriage Night posted:

I’d hazard a guess that you didn’t like the new trailer.

I didn't like the old trailer either, I wasn't even aware there was a new trailer when I posted. I was half joking about all of it but I do honestly think those figures suck though I'm guess they're not really meant for collectors. The whole thing is such blatant and soulless nostalgia wank. The previous trailer shows a 40-something nerd trying to explain the thing he liked as a kid to a bunch of disinterested teenagers and that's an incredibly on the nose piece of metacommentary that they almost certainly didn't do on purpose. If the trailers are any indication it's basically a bunch of callbacks to the original movie but devoid of anything that made the first film fun or memorable. It's like a film adaptation of a shelf full of Funko Pops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

So, you didn’t like the new trailer?