Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

:getin:

Fish Of Doom posted:

I don't think this was posted in the last thread, but here's the lineup of DCUC series 9

Black Adam
Black Canary
Guardian
Deadshot
Green Arrow
Mantis
Wildcat
BAF: Chemo

Mantis is about as obscure as they come, and I'm hoping for Chemo to be glow in the dark or some sort of translucent green material.

YES! My patience for a Black Adam figure has paid off. Now they just have to deliver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

Oh man, I'm quite envious of anyone who wins one of those Anti-Monitors.

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

Sanschel posted:

I knew there would be some kind of payoff to those Anti-Monitor points, but holy poo poo am I happy I've been hoarding those things.

Have they been on the back of the figures or at the conventions?

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

Found a website with a small selection, but pretty decent prices on DC Directs:
http://www.halscomicandcards.com/servlet/the-Figures%2C-Action-and-Mini-bust/Categories

I nabbed a DC Direct Crisis of Infinite Earths Anti-Monitor Figure for $11.65 shipped. Few bucks off normal CBS prices and quite a bit off of Ebay rates.

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

When should the Blue Beetles hit? Dying for one and won't be home till Mar 7th-15th for school. That's pretty much the only time I'll have a car.

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

RKOMG! posted:

I've got Deadpool and Gambit standing on my desk. The Gambit's surprisingly nice; Deadpool has trouble holding aaaaanything with one of his hands and one of his hip joints was painted freaking over. It's kind've a doofy line, all things considered.

Anyway, my store has them, and we don't have, uh, much. Deadpool seems to be the shortpack, though.

So is Deadpool worth the $14-18 I'd probably have to shell out to get him over the internet?

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

Stage of History posted:

I'll find you one bro. :hehe:

Haha sweet, you always come through.

What's your opinion of them at this point? I know you've picked up a few. I'm definitely not collecting the whole line, but I can't really turn down a Deadpool and probably wouldn't shun a Cable if they ever do him.

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

Yeah my Walmart back home is the same. I'd be damned if they carried anything other than a wall full of the spider-man crap and another wall of muggs. My Target is usually on top of things though.

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

Stage of History posted:

Deadpool has been the only little fig I really like if you ditch that sai

Just got the one you sent me (insanely quick shipping). He is pretty cool and nicely done, but the scale is utterly terrible. I knew the GI Joes and stuff were small, but this is something I'd expect to get out of a gumball machine, not pay almost full price of a Legends scaled figure.

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

So since I've decided that the mini-Deadpool isn't up to par with what I want, I'm going to attempt a custom.

Right now for a base, I think I'm going to attempt to get a ML Moon Knight for the body, and maybe a Walmart 2-Pack Cable for the pouchy legs and guns. Not going for complete accuracy, but I thought the it might be less wasteful and slightly than just getting a Domino for the accessories and attatching them.

Does anyone with experience know if that sounds like it would be feasible?

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

Oh man, Obamugg is awesome. I might have to pick some of these up. I got a ton of acrylic paint and I might even be able to play it off as a sunday afternoon craft activity with the gf if I play my cards right.

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

Fish Of Doom posted:

I just have to emphasize how good Citadel Paint from Games Workshop are. Brilliant colors, smooth texture, fast drying. They're a tad pricey and a bit hard to find (ie not at Hobby Lobby), but they're the best figure paints I've ever used.

Under the good advisement of goons I tracked down a local hobby shop that carried the paint and grabbed a few of them. Once I get back to school I'm going to start on some customs and try them out.

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

The Captain Americas at my walmart were varied in their paint jobs pretty wildly. The rest looked ok, just ugly molds.

My LCB owner thinks most of them look nice, but he's pretty worried that he might not be able to sell them because he has a hard time justifying the 12.99 price tag on something so small. He said he won't be collecting them and has only ordered a case.

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

If for some reason you're looking for Kid Flash, Black Manta, or Superman (Red or Blue), they have them at Toys R Us online for $9.99. They also have a bunch of Legendary Heroes for $4.98 which make for great custom fodder. I think I saw something about if you order more than $20.00, you get free shipping too.

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

So I picked up a DCUC Hal Jordan today because I wanted to paint him into a Blue Lantern. I was all excited, took him out of the pack and started throwing down paint. I already had the base coat down when I realized his right arm was broken at the elbow and his left arm is completely locked out and doesn't bend.

I went ahead and painted him anyways, and hot drat, you guys were right about the citadel paint. I'll post some pictures once I get back to school sunday(left my camera, doh!), but it looks legit.

I'm still kind of mad about it though, as I was thinking about putting it up for auction and I know the arm thing will put a lot of people off. I'm calling Mattel first thing tomorrow and bitching. I'm not sure I'll get anything out of it, but at least I'll feel better.

EDIT: Now with semi-blurry pictures!(found a crappy camera)

Click here for the full 600x800 image.

Also I called Mattel, they took down a lot of my information but didn't have the product number in the system and the lady wasn't there. So they said to call back Monday.

Donde Esta fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Mar 13, 2009

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

Custom Figure Question:

Ran into a problem trying to take out a Legendary Heroes Super Patriot's arm: the main shoulder joint is hard plastic and won't come out for anything. Any other methods besides heating to get it out, save for popping open the chest?

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

Djarum posted:

Are you just trying to take the arm off to use for a Bucky custom or something? It should just boil and pop right off. I tend to use a blow drier or heat gun instead of water. If the arm isn't coming off then it is just not hot enough yet.

Actually wanted to replace it with Cable's left arm, but I don't think it's a ball joint, I have a feeling it's a disk or something. It's not the soft plastic; Cable's arm popped out like butter after 15 seconds of a blow dryer, this guy withstood like a minute + lube.

I don't have a dremel with me, so getting the chest open is going to be a blast.

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

The Action Man posted:

I snagged the Orion and Lightray two pack at a TRU today. I love it, but I do have a question. Is Orion supposed to bend at the waist and sternum? Mine won't move, and I wouldn't be surprised if that was to keep the astro-harness in one piece.

Not sure, but if it's not supposed to be stuck like that, call and complain. I bitched about my Hal Jordan and they're sending me a voucher.

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

That's some of the best custom work I've seen; the level of detail on the armor is crazy. I also can't believe you went out and carved wooden daggers.

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

Dumb question: What scale are the 6in figures on?

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

Not to turn this into a custom figure thread, but thought I'd show off the Red Hood I just finished and the Deadpool I'm working on:

Front

Click here for the full 616x821 image.

Back

Click here for the full 547x730 image.

Side

He has to finish drying before I can seal the paint, but I'm rather pleased with how he came out. Got the idea off of Kyle Robinson's site and used a ML Moon Knight head and boots and a ML Xorn body. I'm currently working on making him a kris.

Front

Upclose

Back

Side

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I'm using a Moon Knight upper and a Cable 2-pack lower. If the back and bicep molding looks sloppy, it's because it's not done drying; I'll clean it up. I made the machete and the ninja sword out of fixit clay, and plan on making another ninja sword with sheaths for both to go on the back harness. Other than that I'll probably start painting tomorrow or on the weekend.

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

So Deadpool's almost finished:

Click here for the full 684x912 image.

I just need to finish his scabards, paint them/the swords, glue them on, and he should be good to go after I touch him up a bit and seal the paint. The only thing I really don't like at the moment is the beanie tip molding I did in the back; I might sand that down to be more streamlined.

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

Grem posted:

You did an awesome job and it's definitely something to be proud of, but I would suggest this, too.

Thanks! I went back and did it, along with a bunch of silver detailing (buckles and such) and he looks MUCH better. My scabbard out of clay idea worked beautifully, so I'm waiting on them to dry at the moment.

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

Any word on what the DC Direct exclusive will be? I picked up the 2008 Batman and he's pretty rad other than the fact his arms don't pose well.

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

I haven't wanted to clog up the boards with my custom crap lately, so I'll post the myspace page I made with some albums:

http://www.myspace.com/467057669

I plan on a making another "New" Deadpool in the next week or so, with some more refined techniques (have a dremel now!). I've had quite a bit of success on Ebay (outside of getting people to actually pay), so it's been kind of fun. Other than the Deadpool, I'm giving Namorita a shot and from there I'll see where it goes.

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

Paper Triangle posted:

Those all look really cool. You should set up a Flickr or something just to show them off. It'll be easier to browse and link on eBay.

Can you add things like that to ebay? I've been trying to find a way to make an ebay template and link pictures without being charged out the arse on Ebay.

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

z0rschach posted:

What did you use for your yellow on zoom? I've never had any luck with that color.

Games Workshop Sunburst Yellow; it gets even better with more layers, but I wanted kind of a rippled/defined/speedforce look (didn't turn out as hoped, but oh well) and I already had to strip it once because I layered it up too much and clogged the joints. He looked stellar the first time, but DCUCs can't seem to handle that much paint. A good, thin, white base coat with Sunburst probably would have worked even better.

Also, thanks for the tip PaperT, I found an amazing template builder which showed me how to directly link pictures in the auction for free with my own logo and stuff. It looks top notch and will totally save me almost 50 cents every auction.

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

http://www.robshelp2.com/Builder/Startup.htm?nogz

Click Launch Builder, pick a template, alter some things and keep checking preview to see what changes, and play with it until you get what you like.

Once you get something you like, in the preview window up top it gives you various instructions as to how to get the code for what you're using.

There's a slight learning curve to it, but at max took me an hour to make something I really like.

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

Two new customs:

Jason Todd

X-Force Wolverine

Wolverine debuted the new auction template:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=120408085215

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

z0rschach posted:

Pretty dry around here. And Target is stocking old DCU dolls :(
Also I added some prices to my haves thread so come and get it!

Same; I've seen Aquaman, Captain Cold, Captain Atom, several Wonderwoman, a few flashes and 8 billion Cyborgs. Come on, no one wants a black man in a singlet?

I've seen every Marvel Universe figure possible, even tons of comic version Deadpools. My GF's seen tons of those in Florida too, did they rerelease them with higher counts?

Donde Esta fucked around with this message at 00:25 on May 20, 2009

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

The Rage posted:

Has that series 8 of DCUC hit anywhere yet?

Sarcastic answer: Hit ebay a while ago.

But in the stores I've seen nothing in the Binghamton or Buffalo areas of NY.

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

Havoc904 posted:

I'm looking into starting to try customs, does anyone have a good guide or outline for all the stuff I will need? Any help from people who do customs or know anything about them would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.figurerealm.com/customtutorial.php

Great guides from different people with many pictures. And I second the Dremel. I don't use it much for actual detailing, but for filing down joints that give you problems with paint peeling. It's a god send.

Above all get good paint and a couple good brushes. Citadel Paint from Games Workshop is all I use. Michaels Arts and Crafts is awesome for supplies because you usually get a 40% off your next purchase coupon on your receipt(usually dated a week from that date), that you can use toward any item. I usually use it on $5 detailing brushes or $4 Testor's Dullcote (also good for protecting joints and doesn't turn white like the super-glue method)

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

Speaking of Customs:

Click here for the full 480x640 image.

Click here for the full 480x640 image.

Just listed that on Ebay. I have a few others up too.

And yes, that is a Bat-Radia

Donde Esta fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jun 7, 2009

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

Fish Of Doom posted:

That's pretty awesome, even though I hated that comic. It only needs Bat-mite to make it complete. What's the cape from, Hobgoblin?

Ha, yeah, Batmite was a little too ambitious for me at the time. It's just a DCD Green Lantern Batman head on a DCD Superman/Batman: Enemies Among Us Batman body. I just sloppily threw on some clay to make it look a little raggedy near the top.

Good call on the DCUC Aquaman body for the Jim, it looks great. I've got this one guy who's dead set on having me go through all his favorite Marvel characters and remake them with DCUC bodies. I've made 6 so far, I think, and 5 of them were Camo Aquaman's body.

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

LtCrowley posted:

Gore

That's pretty sweet, and frighteningly creative.

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I am more than willing to admit that I'm a bitter collector who's just being grouchy about his line he's been collecting dying though :)

I always hated the tiny G.I. Joes when I was younger because I never could get any sort of fufilling combat action out of them. I think my sense of the 3 3/4ths inferiority stems from that. Some of the new Marvel Guys look pretty good, like Iron-Man, but there's just so little there no matter how detailed it is I can never truely care, unless it was like $3.99 or $4.99.

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I have the Toy Biz Showdown versions of Spider-Man and Daredevil, and I thought those generally look better than the new Marvel Universe figures.

On that note, I only still own a handful of Marvel Legends, but I'm disappointed they never got around to making my favorite Marvel character, Jamie Madrox. Granted he's just a guy in stylized street clothes so he might not have been the most exciting-looking action figure, but at least they could have sold him in an exclusive two-pack or something (maybe with and without the trench coat?).

I'm actually planning on making one; Ultimate Fury Coat, arms, probably legs and torso too unless I find something better, and a DCUC Shazam head. I'll probably do it once I finish the two Deadpools I'm currently working on.

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

Not sure what it is, but it's pretty cool. Warpath looks a lot like Doc Samson.

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

I remember when I found my maskless Terry figure in some backwater Kaybee in a run-down mall near my college, it was my proudest figure collecting moment. I almost never find variants in store, much less ones I really, really want, as I did with that one.

I've sold off most my collection, but I'm keeping that one forever out of sentimentality, along with my masked Batman Beyond figure.

Stores in my area back home don't have crap. Right now there's an Ares, Wonder Woman, and Cyborg, all wave 4 on clearance for 10.99 (Oooo, big sale) at Target. There's a few Cyborgs, a Captain Cold, and an Orion/Lightwave two-pack at Toys'r Us, and a few restock Firestorm/Wonderwomans at Wal-Mart. Target had all of Wave 4 a few weeks back, but people picked over the other ones fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

I was on vacation and down by NYC, passing through Stony Point for some groceries and I saw a Flash, Captain Cold, and Blue Beetle at a Stop and Shop for $12.99. We don't have those in central NY, but I thought that was entirely random.