Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mapocho
Dec 14, 2006

No pares de creer.

The_Doctor posted:

Screw Marvel, I know what's getting my money this year:

First two are two-ups of the 6" plastic figures. 3rd one is the 12" clothed line.

More pics here: http://toynewsi.com/news.php?catid=241&itemid=14043

Winston gets no love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mapocho
Dec 14, 2006

No pares de creer.
Some impressive figures in here, that grimlock is amazing specially its little helmet.

I've set up this blog with some of of my collection and my friends sometimes add to it.

http://fuel-boy.blogspot.com/

Click here for the full 800x1200 image.

Click here for the full 1200x801 image.

Click here for the full 1200x800 image.

Click here for the full 1066x1600 image.

Click here for the full 917x1200 image.

Picked up that hulk at the con here in Toronto this weekend. Wioslea is my favorite for sure though.

Mapocho
Dec 14, 2006

No pares de creer.
This starfighter picture shows the some of the tools I use on the figures themselves: the dremel, watercolour brush markers, rubbing cloth to seep in the details into the grooves or cuts on the surfaces, rust coloured dust to rub in into metal parts, gold and silver markers and a lighter to just burn them good.

I got a real ghetto studio setup, 3 desk lamps and an ikea light with a white paper cover to fill in. I also wrapped a tin tin book in aluminum foil which I use as a light bounce sometimes. I took a poster with a white back, propped it up and secured it with masking tape and some cardboard to make a place for the figures to stand in, then the rest is just playing with where the lights are.

I use a Canon Digital Rebel XT, on a tripod with the timer set to take the pictures because they blur too much sometimes even when I just press the trigger on it. I really need a remote for it and better lenses.

Then treat the raw files in PS and that's my process!

Mapocho
Dec 14, 2006

No pares de creer.
If anything I never associate McFarlane figures with good articulation. There were the odd figures here and there with good joints but overall all they made was little well sculpted statues. I really wished they would've released a well jointed conan, oh well.

Mapocho fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Apr 28, 2009

Mapocho
Dec 14, 2006

No pares de creer.

JohnThermos posted:

Dear Action Figure Thread, try this new crack

Thank you for these links, my productivity at work dropped because of looking over at pages of awesome custom jobs and kamen raiders. There's a Jack Nicholson Joker in that toy world forum that is beautiful.

Now I'm putting myself down for a predator too... I'm just wondering where's the cheapest place to get it from.

Anyways, picked up this bad boy today at the silver snail.

Click here for the full 792x1200 image.

I'm looking forward to beating him up a bit.

Here's a wolverine I aged yesterday.

Click here for the full 1024x1536 image.

I put the rest of the pics in http://fuel-boy.blogspot.com/

Mapocho
Dec 14, 2006

No pares de creer.

profbobo posted:

Oh man. Hot Toys Abe and Hellboy shipped, Iron Man MK2 shipped and Golgo's waiting for me at the post office. This is gonna be a good week.

Edit:

where you you order from? I'm very curious as to where the best deal for a predator is.

Hey havoc904, get a dremel tool, they are pretty handy for touching up and adding detail to figures.

Mapocho
Dec 14, 2006

No pares de creer.
That earthworm Jim is killer! Same with that batman, though I do believe he needs to be much dirtier.

I haven't really made a character from other figures in a long time, but I do find great relaxation while beating up new figures.

Here's the parademon from a few weeks back.

more of him at the usual blog http://fuel-boy.blogspot.com/

Mapocho
Dec 14, 2006

No pares de creer.

Whorehey posted:

It looks as if you just drew on it with marker or burned it with a lighter.

You're not wrong with that comment, I first cut him up with an x-acto knife, cipping away at edges and bits that stick out, dremel some holes and scratch to reveal the underlying paint on some areas then I use these watercolour brush tip markers, I only use the black and brown at first, rub it off with a q-tip or rag then go at it again with the x-acto knife to layer in wear and tear from old battles.
I also use blue, red and orange to break it up a little and ad slight colour variety to some of the wear of the figure, but it doesn't come across too much with the yellow lighting I had on the shot.

In between all that I use these silver and gold gundam model markers for where the metal is exposed or where it rubs against the armor and this rust coloured makeup powder that also goes into the crevices with the rubbing and well...makes it more dirty. Then the lighter comes out to burn areas here and there and I repeat the whole process until I'm done.

Mapocho
Dec 14, 2006

No pares de creer.

LtCrowley posted:

awesome

That's great, can't wait to see the detail pics of the bloody axe!

Mapocho
Dec 14, 2006

No pares de creer.

LtCrowley posted:

Detail shots:

Click here for the full 450x907 image.

Click here for the full 450x1325 image.

I think it went ok, the blood looks a little too stylised in places but I guess that's just what happens when you're working in a small scale.

yeah the blood does look a bit too perfect, try using an old toothbrush with the paint and flick your thumb on it to spray the blood out in random ways. Amazing nonetheless.

Mapocho
Dec 14, 2006

No pares de creer.
where do you order from, profbobo?

Mapocho
Dec 14, 2006

No pares de creer.
thanks! That predator looks mighty fine.

Mapocho
Dec 14, 2006

No pares de creer.
that's gonna be some crazy articulation, joints on EVERYTHING. Its gonna take like 2 hours to transform optimus.

Mapocho
Dec 14, 2006

No pares de creer.

Fish Of Doom posted:

I figured I'd share my latest custom, The Umbrella Academy. I've spent the last two months making these and I'm finally done. They're a cross between the actual art, the concept art, and also more realistically proportioned.

These are so nice, must have been a fun task putting that team together.

Mapocho
Dec 14, 2006

No pares de creer.
gently caress yeah a robotman figure! I can't wait to put a lil leather jacket on him.

Mapocho
Dec 14, 2006

No pares de creer.

LtCrowley posted:

hosed the paint job up, big time. It looks ok, but doesn't fit with Hellboy's paint job style AT ALL.

I think I'll scrub it all off and start over, but I need some tips on achievening the look that his has. It looks like I could maybe build it up slowly with really light washes, and slightly darken things appropriately around bulges to make it more geometric?

Or should I use a dry brush technique rather than mixing up a light watery coat and doing washes with that? No loving idea.

The sculpt on Hellboy is solid geometric cuts, going along with the blocky Mignola style. Looks like the paint job on him is darker tones on the crevices of the sculpt washed/rubbed off. I think your corpse figure is looking great, just needs more of that rough blocky edge, don't paint the profile shadows on let the sculpt do that on its own. I hope this helps.

Mapocho
Dec 14, 2006

No pares de creer.

Nerd Of Prey posted:

:megaman:

This figure blows me away, it is just so well done!

Birthday passed and I got a couple new figures out of it.

Click here for the full 1365x2048 image.

JLI Booster

And this came in the mail a couple days ago and it is amazing.

Click here for the full 1365x2048 image.

And I know I'm a one trick pony regarding the battle damage on figures, I just find it so relaxing to do.

Click here for the full 1066x1600 image.

I'm looking forward to finding a Robotman and a Question.

Mapocho
Dec 14, 2006

No pares de creer.
Unfortunately I cant think of any aliens of that size that would look good, unless they were custom made. I do recommend the alien egg from kubrick though, it's the right size and looks proper.

Click here for the full 798x605 image.

Mapocho
Dec 14, 2006

No pares de creer.
I am really enjoying these Iron Man figures.

Mapocho
Dec 14, 2006

No pares de creer.
Sweet OMAC! Man those JLU figures are so drat boring.

Mapocho
Dec 14, 2006

No pares de creer.
That's real awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mapocho
Dec 14, 2006

No pares de creer.
I'm really enjoying my new arrivals. Angloz had a good deal on Kamen Rider and it is by far one of the best figs I've owned.

Click here for the full 926x1600 image.

Click here for the full 1600x1067 image.

Click here for the full 1600x1067 image.

More here http://fuel-boy.blogspot.com/