Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
Is there a separate thread for Star Wars toys or is this it? I see a lot of comic book nerds talking about comic book toys but wonder if there is place where Star Wars nerds talks about Star Wars toys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I remember seeing an ad for that, and I asked my parents for it, and they loving blew my mind when they asked "Well, why does Superman need a walker?" and I loving KNEW it couldn't be because Lex had one.

They were wanting you to realize that Kenner had to create toys that could fit many different price points and that it is hard to design little one person vehicles that sell for 10 dollars which make any sense. See all the Star Wars minirigs from this time period.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Djarum posted:

Honestly I am doing with the Black Series stuff what I do with almost all Star Wars stuff: wait a few years and get it for less than retail.

It probably safe to skip the midnight extravaganza because these will be around forever and in multiple different forms and repacks and repaints until 10 years from now they finally produce perfect specimens that no one buys because they are only available from one store.

It's reasonable to wait for these but if you tried waiting for the Vintage Collection then you ended up paying a lot more than retail - the prices on some of the later figures is 10x retail.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Nerd Of Prey posted:

I was after a rare Star Wars figure, took the advice from this thread and waited, and the price has continued to climb for years. Probably could have snagged it for around $30, but I'd be lucky to pay $80 now, even loose. It's the one really good figure of Ahsoka Tano, with the look from the later seasons of Clone Wars. When she showed up again on Rebels it caused a new surge of interest, so demand is only gonna keep going up, and if they ever do a new figure again it will probably be the Rebels version. You can get most Clone Wars figures pretty cheap now, but not the only one I wanted...

Yeah, having those nice figures with full articulation on vintage card backs is something that I would love to see continue. The distribution at the end of that line sounds like it was a nightmare. They have released some of those figures in The Black Series so they may release her. C3PO was getting pretty expensive but now has dropped significantly over the past month with re-release on the Black card.

I'll buy some of the new ones for my daughter to play with but they look horrible and the cards are stupid looking. Hopefully they resurrect the Vintage Collection because it would be neat to have a Captain Phantasm or whatever. There are some neat looking aliens in some of the preview shots.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

rear end Catchcum posted:

When do the new black series Star Wars figures come out?

Some appear to be leaking out currently along with Force Awakens ones. I expect September 4th they will be widely available

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Bushifox posted:

if you had them MIB maybe. I think I've still got well over half of that stuff, but it is all loose and played with to hell.

Same here. I had all the Transformers, GI Joe, and He-Men at that point and the Flagg was the first thing I didn't get from any of those lines pretty much.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

The Rage posted:

Because they've actually fleshed out and done amazing things with IPs that were stagnant and circling the drain.

I groaned when Disney bought Star Wars because I've never really liked Disney. I am not a comic book fan (!) so didn't know that they had bought Marvel or whatever but when I found that out and realized that I had noticed a lot of interconnected comic book stuff in the theaters recently I got excited thinking that there might be a lot more Star Wars movies released. I guess now I'm back to my primary concern that the movies will be bad and that Disney will somehow meddle in things and make them uncool. Given that's what George Lucas already did, I'm okay with the gamble because I can always just stop going to the new movies if they suck.

It will be cool to have gone from 38 years with just six Star Wars movies to a new movie every year or so and maybe even multiple in a year given the spin offs.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Old Man Pants posted:

The motorized Hulkbuster shown earlier in the thread is going to be $9600. Who is buying one and can I come look at it?

When I look at that thing I wonder how it can actually be so cheap. It is huge and it seems like it would be expensive to produce.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Vintersorg posted:

Take it to CineD.

Here's a cool little article on some of the most lovely Star Wars toys.

http://io9.com/the-16-most-useless-star-wars-figures-in-the-galaxy-1467580491

Altho I have a soft spot for ice cream man - the rest are truly garbage poo poo. loving "figure of creature that bought Lukes speeder". :lol:

I have them all except for the Star Tours guy

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

DJ Turbo Punch posted:

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Action Figure Megathread VIII: I have them all except for the Star Tours guy

I actually used that article to find out that several of them existed and then when they arrived I took selfies with them and sent them to my childhood "Star Wars friend" and made him laugh.

I'm just sad they never made the old lady from TPM who told Ani to get indoors because a sandstorm was coming. I will continue to lobby Hasbro for the right to buy that old lady!

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
I wouldn't be worried about finding the Star Wars figures. They will be out in huge numbers when the films hit. I saw the entire first wave on day one but didn't buy them all and haven't seen the 3.75 since except for the TIE pilot, Chewie, and the flametrooper.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Louisgod posted:

Per your list, Kylo Ren, Ray, Kylo Ren again, and Chewery.

Lol

I am hoping Phasma and the movie are great because I can totally imagine a really nicely done chromish paint job in the future. The current figure isn't too sharp but I think there is great potential.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Chill Penguin posted:

This is the first action figure I've bought in a very long time. Is the whole Black Series this awesome? The details on this thing seem pretty incredible for the price.

It's not but IG88 was also great in The Vintage Collection. There are quite a few awesome gems in that one plus they are on original style cardbacks.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Thanks. I definitely don't want to buy anything, but I really like looking and just pawing through Jedibusiness is boring. I'm just curious what people have been really impressed by.

I really didn't pay attention during the time, but The Vintage Collection was about 50% great figures. I've ended up with most of them on card backs because seeing the vintage style is just so cool to me.

My favorites are the Luke Bespin, General Grievous, Bossk, IG88, C-3PO (same as black series), Gamorrean Guard (probably the best), Klaatu, Walrus Man, and the Emperor's Royal Guard. But pretty much anything from that line will be the best representation of the figure even if it doesn't knock the ball out of the park.

There's still not a Leia in any form at the 3.75 scale that looks great and they have a hard time getting Han's face right.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

CelticPredator posted:

Quite relieved that I don't want to track down Captain Phasma any more. :smith:

she didn't die on screen

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
I am just waiting for the Vintage Collection versions of all of these.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Red posted:

Is vintage Star Wars stuff expected to get more expensive, or pretty much stay the same?

There's probably some built-in price increase expecting the new movies to spur interest but I'm not sure if it has been anywhere near the same as when the prequels came out. I think that most people interested in buying vintage Star Wars are already at a point in their life where they have the money to spend. The toys are over 30 years old and I doubt many people younger than that have an interest in paying top dollar for them. It would be interesting to go back in time and find out the price curve for things like Howdy Doody and tin cars and other things that had sentimental value to generations that are now dying, etc. I'm betting there is a peak and a decline somewhere.

I will say that the 12 backs and really rare things have shot up in the 20 years or so since I started paying attention. Also, some of more recent lines have actually been going up over the last year - in particular, the Vintage Collection.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

DJ Turbo Punch posted:

I'm thinking that some of those dirt cheap Chinese sellers might actually work at the factory or something. I've purchased a few Marvel Universe figures that look indistinguishable from the official production run and I wouldn't doubt they're part of batches that were supposed to be thrown out due to minor imperfections or something.

Yeah, the Star Wars toys are pretty indistinguishable from the originals and probably are the same in my opinion.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
Man Kylo Ren is nice but they are just going to reproduce him with Adam Driver's face next movie so I hesitate to spend that much money on an action figure.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

therealjon_ posted:

Star Wars is just going to fall into the same cycle the Marvel movie Hot Toys are in where every movie you get all the main characters again in slightly different costumes, and the new release will be a little better so you'll have to get it.

I think that Star Wars invented this, tbh.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Joe Fisto posted:

That's fine with me. Unless he looks a whole lot different unmasked in the next film, I don't need Driver's weird looking face on my shelf.

His face is probably going to be all scarred so hopefully he takes off his helmet and it looks cool.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

An Ounce of Gold posted:

Yep, that's cool. She doesn't have a problem waiting a week. We can email the details. :)

If this falls through I would be interested.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

DJ Turbo Punch posted:

Hey 3.75" collector pal.

There is a set of 3.75" TFA figures with modern articulation and sculpting under the Black Series banner. They're Wal-Mart exclusives and they have similar packaging to the 6" Black Series figures. I might be wrong about this part, but I swear I remember reading that Hasbro are testing the waters with these guys and if they sell well enough they'll bring on more 3.75" TFA figures with decent articulation.

I am partial to the 3.75 line of Star Wars, as well. I've not been happy with the TFA offerings so far but have bought a few for my daughter. The Kylo Ren and Phasma figures are pretty nice. I don't really like the Black series packaging but would buy a lot of figures if they restarted the Vintage Series packaging with full articulation.

I've also got a few Hot Toys on order and that is a really stupidly expensive road to go down I've found...

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
http://page.macmillan.com/mcpg/dwarfinthedrawer

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
I remember they needed the lava that Wild Bill got, some heavy water stuff from the bottom of the ocean with those tubeworms and the red crystals. That was the best show.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah, she has a completely blank expression.

That elbow is in an unnatural position and it is really bothering me.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
I don't know if anyone was interested but Hot Toys seems to have reopened their wait list for Han, Chewbacca, and Obi Wan 1:6 scale figures.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Rhyno posted:

The phrase is what I question. I used it once in Chicago at a bar and received a pretty brutal beating.

It's strange - I think of "colored" as being old fashioned and associated with a different, more racist time but I've heard "person of color" using by many organizations trying to be more inclusive of different racial/ethnic groups.

Back on topic, think about how hard it was to find ugly Leia on the orange POTF card or a lot of the female Spawn characters - they've been like this since at least back then. I had a Sorceress and don't remember any problems with Scarlet, Lady Jane, Teela, Evil Lynn, etc. back in the day. I'd say early 90s when toy collecting became the next big thing and the toy makers started to play with artificial scarcity, etc.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
The biggest tragedy in the Alien movies was the loss of Newt.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Davros1 posted:

This has to be sarcasm, right?

Well I stopped watching after the third so maybe I am ignorant about other atrocities but I thought killing off most of the Aliens survivors early on made the third movie a bust for me.

Action figures ahoy!

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Aphrodite posted:

I saw Ahsoka yesterday. Didn't realize it was new.

I wonder if the Vintage Collection Ahsoka price will drop now. It's close to $200. I think there are more carded TVC Ahsokas than loose.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Nerd Of Prey posted:

That's not even the rarest / most expensive Ahsoka figure... the one I wanted is :(

I don't really know anything about Ahsoka since I've never read/seen anything that she is in so don't really care about the figure but what is the one that you are referring to?

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

No luck at wal mart. They had a ton of Black series (and apparently there's a 3.75" black series, did not know that), but the highest number was 9 I think.

The Black series started a few years back as a 3.75 inch line after the end of the Vintage Collection.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Honestly I'm kinda stunned Hot Toys didn't make it. They made the TIE pilot who was in it for all of maybe 12 seconds, and Luke is way more important than that dude.

To be fair they probably were not allowed to have any access to pictures, etc. of Luke before the movie was released. Han was shown before the movie but even he is just now being shown below the neck. I can see Leia and Luke being released by Hot Toys in the run up to Episode VIII if not before. Right now they are just starting on ESB with Yoda. Hopefully we get a Lando as well.

I am not sure if I will buy an old Han (depends on the sculpt) but I can't imagine them failing with Luke and will probably by him.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Aphrodite posted:

Half his face is beard, so that's like a gimme sculpt.

That's what I am thinking. Hard to mess him up. I'd still love a nice Episode 3 Obi Wan as well for the same reason.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Louisgod posted:

The movie will probably be terrible, like just about all things DC.

I don't know anything about the comics or the DC universe and hated that stupid Batman/Superman movie but think that Suicide Squad looks cool. I agree the Joker looks stupid but he isn't going to have that same pose/expression the whole movie so maybe I won't care that he has a tattoo

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
I have all the original He Men from years ago. Funny to see people clamoring for them now - haven't looked at them in decades.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
That is one horrible action figure.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
Whoa gonk! I had thought I was done with Hot Toys except for a Lando but here I am again...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Louisgod posted:

As always, appreciate if somebody would grab them for me if they see them, specifically Zelda, Skull Kid, Red Toad and Slippy. I have a 6" Metroid up for trade if anybody finds them.

I don't know anything about zelda but that skull kid looks like a weird black face action figure on first glance