Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

The_Doctor posted:

When I finally get to go to Japan, I'm taking an empty suitcase for all the weird plastic crap I'm going to buy.

I have gotten the system down of taking 2 large suitcases- one with my clothes etc and another is full of gifts for friends that gets emptied out while I'm there and then gets filled up with all the stuff I buy. Totally worth it. Also the coins you inevitably end up with you can spend on gachapon in the airport.

Speaking of Japan... the Dokuro Tarou soft vinyl I pre-ordered in November finally showed up! This is the main hero character in the imaginary series by my favorite Showa-era style toy maker, Elegab! I've been collecting his kaiju for years and it's great to finally see the main character realized in standard size! :unsmith:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Nanigans posted:

I've been very busy this past year, adding more and more to my collection, as a hobby during the pandemic. My wife will now be working from home full time, so we used our other spare bedroom as a permanent office for her, leaving the original office for just my collection.

Without further ado, here it is...(Thumbnailed for politeness' sake)

I fukkin' love this even though it's not my jam figure wise.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Nanigans posted:

Search “acrylic risers” on Amazon or eBay. Pay attention to the heights you want and then buy the absolute cheapest you find because they’re all the same.

I think they mean the shelving units attached to the wall. Are they the Ikea Lack shelves?

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Apr 8, 2021

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Oh man... MaxToy Japan is selling it's new wave of SSSS Gridman soft vinyls. This time they are debuting the Poison Gas Kaiju Benora! This release is also in colors directed by the original designer and the director of Gridman. Unfortunately only available in Japan so a forwarding service would be needed to get them.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Another good display case for smaller figures I like are baseball bat cases turned onto their side. They can fit 5” figures inside them pretty well. Also being that they close off they keep dust off the inside figures pretty well.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Gripweed posted:

I desperately need that kitty Twin Tail

It’s by Konatsu- that one is the first colorway and was released along with the cat Gamora. They don’t get released much unfortunately and they are Japan only items usually. :/

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I think it's rad as hell as an OG Transformers fan and I think $700 is not outrageous. Not that I'm gonna buy one but I know at least one person who probably will.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Good lord - the Deluxe Dynazenon has been announced and it looks amazing

https://twitter.com/gsc_mechasmile/status/1380536478997098499?s=20

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Rhyno posted:

BSS ACTION FIGURE MEGATHREAD: Put a fuckin saddle on it

:hmmyes:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Colonel Whitey posted:

Always check toysbuyingagent.com, they ship from HK but shipping is free and sometimes the figures are cheaper too. They do flex pricing based on demand but I’ve gotten a couple figures for way under sideshow/bbts prices buying from them.

Woah, thanks for the link to this site. I'm going to pass that along to a friend of mine.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

lol my local Target has never gotten poo poo. I never even saw any of the Godzilla Vs Kong toys.

They have plenty of Jurassic Park stuff though.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

Shogun Warriors Skeletor is a bunch of words I didn't expect to read this morning. Only 300USD!

lol

Man Super 7 really started something reviving that form factor.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Splint Chesthair posted:

Playmates answered my prayers and gave me the ability to buy a Jet Jaguar figure that wasn’t a vintage import that costs $400.

Unfortunately, it’s a real monkey’s paw situation. He’s forced into this really awkward fighting stance that gives him only one foot and a toe to stand on, and his center of gravity is his right shoulder. This not only makes him impossible to stand up on his own, but also look weird unless you’re looking at him straight on. And I mean, not in the normal way JJ looks weird.

I wish they had just sculpted him standing straight instead of this “McFarlane circa 1998” garbage.

There's M1 Bullmark reproductions like this that you can get as well. $150 seems average for them since it was somewhat recently reissued.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Splint Chesthair posted:

That guy is beautiful, thanks, but I'm pretty sure my wife wouldn't be happy about spending more of our stimulus checks on Japanese imports after my son and I splurged on a bunch of Ultraman junk. I can just fun-tack my Jet Jaguar onto a stand and he should be okay for display purposes. Maybe someday...

Totally understandable! Yeah sofubi collecting can get expensive. But Bullmark style figures usually are released at the ¥8000 and up range to start, so markups happen pretty quickly. :sigh:

Some good news though: Japan Post has stated that EMS is tentatively coming back for the USA in June! :dance: https://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/2021fee_change/ems_en.html

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

It'll definitely be better because there are a LOT of Japanese independant toy makers who simply don't deal with shipping outside of EMS. I've missed out on a few releases because of this.

Also this will mean that I will be able to order my own figure that is produced there and have them shipped to me so I can paint them again without having to spend literally hundreds of dollars on shipping.

edit: unfortunately many small Japanese makers and companies simply don't want to go out of their comfort zone to make things a bit easier for outside collectors to get things from them. Bullmark's site only deals with an old obscure bank transfer system to pay them, so I can't even use a foreign credit card to purchase from them; I have to use a purchasing proxy site. :/

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Apr 22, 2021

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Splint Chesthair posted:

I'd love to get into sofubi but it's just a bit too rich for my blood. The last time I was at a toy show there was a guy whose entire booth was nothing but sofubi, just shelves and shelves of chunky kaiju in every color of the rainbow. Gorgeous stuff, but they were all vintage/OOP, with even the tiniest capsule toys at $20 a pop.

Yeah I totally get that. I was fortunate enough to have a lunch meeting with the head of Bullmark a few years back and he lamented that soft vinyl figures had to be expensive nowadays because even a $60 price tag is too much for a child to be able to purchase, and he still wants kids to enjoy those goofy, round kaiju. :shobon:

Speaking of Bullmark, they are putting out a GID orange Hedorah this month! I am using Zenmarket.jp to proxy purchase it. I couldn't resist. http://www.bullmark.co.jp/shopdetail/000000000381/

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Rhyno posted:

Dude we're here, tell the story!

Edit: I'm seriously having trouble not buying silly repaints. I picked up the movie accurate Karg a few weeks ago. So do I really need the original blue release? I mean poo poo, I own the original Skeletor, DC Skeletor and Molar Skeletor and there's very minor differences across those three.

Colorway addiction is real, my friend

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah the Collect All Monsters group on FB has started a 'garage sale' and I bought 3 blank sofubi yesterday :sweatdrop:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

This documentary is going to be extremely in my zone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YqAqOXEdKs

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

My Plastic Heart has some MOTU sofubi in

https://www.myplasticheart.com/mast..._eid=6f020eead2

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Louisgod posted:

Somebody needs to create a conclusive flowchart of sorts that aligns with what toy brands you best associate with based on when you were born. I was born in 1984 and don't care about He-Man, GI Joes or Transformers but love(d) TMNT, Ghostbusters and X-Men.

I was born in 66 so Ultraman, Star Wars and Micronauts were my main thing then 80s die cast Japanese toys and Takara pre transformers figures took over. Macross then took over those.

Edit before Star Wars Mego figures and Star Trek models were great with the occasional Ertl die cast

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Dale-Taco posted:

Noticable lack of power ranger representation.

I watched the original "Power Rangers" show back in 1977, GoRanger, on a Japanese channel here in San Francisco. It had english subtitles that were done in Honlulu. I had some of the vehicles, some soft vinyl figures, and a couple die cast rangers as well. In the 90s I saw that PR started and watched a few episodes, but really wasn't into it, but I did like that more American kids could get into Sentai now.

The current PR show running in Japan is the 45th anniversary series and it's a goddamned hoot. Zenkaiger owns. Its the first Super Sentai I'm actively following since the 1980s (I think FlashMan was the last show I watched)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUwbOG0Jv6o

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Dale-Taco posted:

My son watched this over my shoulder and ask where can he get these toys. They really know their audience.

I've ordered a few things from the series from Amazon Japan for my co-worker's 7 year old son; I've been feeding them the fansubbed episodes as they are released and little Gus goes APESHIT over it. I think places like AmiAmi sells them as well and can ship to the States.

The show is up to episode 9 now. It's really a lot of fun and definitely for the younger set.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Pm'd

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

JT Smiley posted:

As someone who's watched all but 3 seasons of Power Rangers and dozen's of Sentai, I just can't get with those designs. Most modern Sentai costumes/ Mecha do nothing for me.

They are based on a TON of old Sentai series- you notice the red robot has a form that is much like the original PR Megazord. The main guy has a suit that is a mix of Red ranger from GoRanger and the leader from JACKQ. This series is basically a huge anniversary celebration show and is one of the best I've seen in a long time. Also this is the first PR series where many of the characters are robots (there is a specific reason for it).

edit: Also in the series old Rangers and their zords are showing up in episodes

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

JT Smiley posted:

Well yeah, the show's not exactly subtle about it's inspirations. I mean the sixth ranger is literally just a repainted Gokaiger with some random bits added to the costume like one of those "Original Character, do not steal" deals you see on Deviant Art.

There is literally a distinct reason why he's like that in this show (he went to the Gokaiger dimension and liked their costumes so they stole them).

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Rhyno posted:

For the last few months I've been using acrylic blanks and blue tac as my figure stands but a lot of my Clasics resist the stickiness of the tac so I just ordered a bunch of acrylic dowel rods to see if I can make my own figure stands with pegs.

This week I have discovered that Nano Tape (Alien Tape) works INCREDIBLY WELL for figures and has no adhesives that can stick to the figures.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Rhyno posted:

Ooooh, neat! The only problem there is a lot of the figures don't have flat bottomed feet.

I mean you can cut the tape to size and just stick it onto the areas that the figure touches the surface to see how well it works. The stuff really sticks well.

edit: the pink guy with the blue shirt has 4 small rectangular spots that it stands on

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

CelticPredator posted:

Ok. I got bludd. I’m gonna make another trek for Fuzz. See if I can find one for ya. One per customer tho.

:toot:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Sometimes I’m glad I focus on Japanese figures but flippers are still a huge problem no matter where you go.

The main reason I don’t collect Black Series figures is because I know it’s functionally impossible to get any I’m interested in at retail.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah I should check that more often- but I have Godzilla Sofubi to purchase so I can paint :v:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Rhyno posted:

My dude, the tape showed up today and so far this stuff works great. I applied it to a back heavy figure an hour ago and she's still standing. Even copious amounts of blue tac couldn't make her stand for more than a few minutes! Great suggestion!

Awesome! I’m glad to hear it’s working out!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The hands and facial expression make Godzilla look like he's awkwardly trying to ask if your cat wants to hang out some time.

Lmbo

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

gently caress.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

The SH Figuarts Kamen Rider Build NinNinComic figure looks so drat good. Damnit I missed the order window. (click through for full resolution photo)

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I'm so loving getting that beauty.

The entire SH Figuarts live special with reveals is up for watch on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65n2gIXaSiE

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Were any new Monster Hunter Monsterarts announced?

No this was specifically Kamen Rider (50th anniversary), Ultraman (55th anniversary), Godzilla, and Marvel figures.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Fuzz posted:

So for you mythic legions types, here's a fig on a thing:

:stare:

https://instagram.com/studio_d20?utm_medium=copy_link

I have no idea what this is from but holy poo poo I love it

edit: SH Monsterarts Godzilla Ultima pre-ordered :c00l:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Vintersorg posted:

That anime Godzilla tail is loving insane. You'd need an entire shelf just for it.

Apparently the tail is 44cm long. I have a few collector moots in Japan on Twitter that are saying they don't think they will get it because they simply don't have any place to put it due to the tail length.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Dang, the ThreeZero Dark Baltan is still available. I don't think I can afford $300 now for a single figure but maybe later in the summer I can.