Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

Anukahn posted:

Guessing this is the thread where to ask for opinions/suggestions about this custom?

Try using a more diffuse source of light for photos, it'll hide the brushstrokes better. Other than that, it's great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

Rhyno posted:

So some random dude emailed me about buying my entire Muggs collection. Is BSS public?

Yeah, it is.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

Gramps posted:

This isn't "technically" an action figure, but it's pretty badass so I thought I'd share. I scored a vintage wacky wall walker in original packaging today. Anyone have the faintest notion of what these things are worth? There are no real vintage ones on Ebay right now and Google is a bust.

Oh man I loved those things. Is it just a lump of sticky now?

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
McFarlane is getting rid of 60% of it's remaining staff:

[quote=From the comic industry gossip column, Lying In The Gutter by Rich
Johnston.]

McFarlane Toys, the company owned by comic creator Todd McFarlane,
has had a long history and reputation for increasing the quality of
design of action figure dolls, transforming them from the simplistic
posed plastic characters of my youth to the intricately designed and
articulated figures commonplace today.

However, of late, the company have had a few problems. And has
internally announced a third round of redundancies far more severe
than the previous two.

The company is split into two, design studios in New Jersey and
administration in Arizona offices. I understand that Ed Frank,
President of the NJ group and founder of the original company before
it was bought and renamed by Todd fifteen years ago read a letter out
to the New Jersey staff, visibly uncomfortable.

The studios will see forty staff drop to thirteen. Major operations
will be shut down, including the mold, paint, sculpting, and model
departments.

The only department to survive will be the digital department, and
only two of its members will be held on, and a couple of traditional
sculptors are being trained up to handle digital sculpting.

The plan as it currently stands is that most new sculpts will be scans
of actual people (posed standing up, making a T shape,) cleaned up
digitally, armour and accessories assembled and added digitally (think
Mr Potato Head,) mixing and matching from other sculpts, and then the
files sent to China for 3D printing, cleaning, touching up, sculpting,
articulation and the rest. New Jersey will only generate digital
output from now on. This is still a very experimental process, however.

The New Jersey complex will be reduced from four buildings to one,
with the equipment either being sold of shipped to China. As for
Arizona, they will shrink from seventy people to around thirty-five.

The phasing out off staff will occur sometime between now and June,
though no specific dates of personnel of departments have been given.
When asked about severance, a human resources representative stated
that "allowing you to work until June should be looked at as your
severance package."

[/quote]

The surprising part for me is that they had such a big operation to begin with.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
The best way to be be more efficient with the putty is to start with a thick aluminum posing wire (or copper, but that's a waste since it's so expensive). If it's REALLY big, then rough out the form in wire mesh.

Paint won't chip if you let it dry thoroughly and leave good clearance at joints.

Nope, but work on a couple things at once in a cascade (start another model about 10 minutes in) so you can put down initial shape for the item, then let it harden up and smooth the details and not be twiddling your thumbs. Then when it's almost hardened completely, you add the sharp details. TL;DR- soft=shape, medium=features, hard=details.

Work in small steps if you can. It's much easier to make small changes gradually than try to form the final shape in one go.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

Click here for the full 472x709 image.
(from toyhaven)
holy carp I thought this Ma.K masterpiece edition was really cool until I hit the price... $1050.

Of course then I read that it's limited to 600 pieces and the both the bot and the girl come with a bunch of accessories, which makes a little more sense. I guess I'm not cut out for the big leagues if something like this still surprises me.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Well, one of the properties that dragged them under was micronauts. It was awesome when the figures weren't broken in the package.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Custom District 9 Prawn Mech

Pretty sweet. I would have went more appleseed chunky with the scaling of the armor panels in the upper arms, legs and torso, but I think it turned out well for what it is.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
I was interested in them, but not $250 interested for the limited amount of accessories that come with them. Are they representative of cool characters? I haven't read WWR.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Ah, I was looking at them and thinking they if they came with a bazooka & a rifle also I'd be down, but not knowing anything about the characters leads me to pass. The helmets are real cool, and the masks are ok, but I'm not a mauser fan. I might pick up thrice naut later because the face sculpt with glasses is hilariously awesome (apparently a marysue of the master sculpter, 3zero).

From the one picture of the blanc, the accessories look bitchin in that winter theme.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
what kind of plastic, what kind of paint?
Vinyl? - an acetone dip is fine, or graffiti wipes.
ABS? Rubbing Alcohol works ok for stamped graphics. Simple Green works, but you have to soak it for a while.
I dunno, I guess I need more information, really.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Ikea detolf display cabinets are going to be on sale for $20 on dec. 29th. Limit 1 per customer, so bring a couple friends.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
I wonder if it'll have the wesker glowing eyes.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

profbobo posted:

They weren't that bad :)

Sure if you bought them last october, they're like $600 now.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
There's such an shortage of Wood's toys that after the sale EVERYTHING that retailed for less than $200 doubles in cost. The brambles that sold earlier this year are now in the $110-150 range. You could buy them retail $55 back in Dec.

The big bots >$200 aren't at such crazy heights because the low end of the market is the only side that's growing.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
It's more likely that a major player would pull out of toys than prices going down.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

profbobo posted:

YES! They finally came! Left the Ash figure at my brother's apartment, so I haven't taken pics of it yet, but it is basically the same thing with blue lenses.

Bonus: the 3a figure totally looks like me:

Cool, I'm still waiting on mine, but I expect it today. You got much else on order, or did you get out before you bought a used cars worth of toys? (doh)

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Got peaceday and the noms, but I gotta wait until I'm home to open them.

profbobo posted:

I have way too much on preorder - the Large Martins, Tommy Mission, two different Little Shadows, Armstrongs are all on preorder. I bought some Dropcloths for a friend, as well. I skipped the TQ's; something just had to give. I've been canceling my Hot Toys preorders just because they're easier and more reasonable to find down the line than Ash's stuff.

I've been cut off now that I finally got the TQs. I mean I'm happy with what I have on order, but man it's gonna suck if something really cool comes out and I have to pay double to get it later.

I totalled it up over the last 2 years, and ash has dropped $15k in merchandise, half of which is in WWR.

Good news is that things should be quiet this month and next at least. The only announced thing I'm interested in is the 1/6 heavy bramble (depending on colorway), and some WWRp Dropcloths.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
He's said that metal gear rex and ray are some time this year, so get out your tissues. I expect him to drop those around chistmas time, unless the owners want them to rework it. IF, IF he does another 2000AD or Tank Girl 1/6th it'll be much later this year. We haven't seen anything on 2000AD or tank girl, except that tank girl protos will be at beijing.

here's my guess on when stuff will be in hand. Phantasy league shipping.
April
Retail NomCom
NW/DW Dropcloths

May
Bamba NomCom
Peaceday DC
EMGY DC
4Pk DC
Tommies
Retail Berties
Retail Excl. Berties

June
3AA Nom
Beijing poo poo
Desert NomComs?
Retail DC

July
Tharg
Jung deplume
Large Martins

August
Lil Shadow
Popbot
Badbot
Armstrongz

September
3xTQ

October & beyond
Heavy Bramble
Bertie Mk3
Dropcloth Sidecar
Tank Girl
Metal Gears

It tapers off around July, but since Beijing is late june to begin with I just don't expect things to be shipping out that much. I think we'll see the pre-orders for the new 1/6th bots around july/august.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
hah, I hope you have $300 to blow on a 6" doll, cause no one is going to sell cheap. Last one that sold was $250? I think.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Yeah, tommy is really fun. Moreso than the nom commanders in my opinion. I couldn't put him down for the last couple days. I'm probably going to wash the hoodie with a bit of fabric softener, because it's stiff as a board right now. The jeans are fine. I'm not sure I could get them back on if I took them off. So skinny, lol.

Only other thing I've opened recently is

Nom is about as tall as that kinnukuman beside my custom emergency services bertie

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
World War Robot Portable (WWRp) by 3A. Don't even try and collect these, buy some if you see them, but don't try to collect them. They're cool, but it's so exasperating. It's like a job where you spend money to stay employed.

Here's a scale shot of WWRp (1/12th scale), and WWR (1/6th scale) the super tall mockup is representing an upcoming WWR figure, bertie mk3. The little white bertie mk2 is the same figure as the yellow one I painted.

I don't have any good shots of my stuff, but there are tons of people that do nothing but take pictures of WWR toys.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

profbobo posted:

Edit: Heavy Bramble OH gently caress

I know, I know, pretty cool. I'm done buying things this year, so that sucks that it's coming out soon.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

Nerd Of Prey posted:

Do those World War Robot figures come unpainted as a rule, or is that just some of them, or what? I can't afford to collect the things, but I'm curious.

No, they come very well painted. They just never have a finished prototype before the pre-order comes up. A few unpainted DIYs are offered, but they are pretty elusive.

All this year most things have been ordered with only a general idea of what the finished product will look like.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Dang, that's actually a pretty good value for what you've got. It's pro-level at this point.

You may want to open a novelty museum.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

sba posted:

I've been trying to get into customs, it's a nice way to relax and keep busy. This is the first I've been really proud of, it's a 25th style GI Joe Airtight.

Original Figure: http://yojoe.com/action/85/airtight.shtml

Whoa, nice job. Airtight was always standout.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGut7ffry4E&hd=1

One guess who this is (hint it's metal gear)

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
hoooly crap. march the 2nd. $490

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

LightsGameraAction posted:

Went into a Walgreens on the way to my friends house yesterday because I needed to buy a new toothbrush. Passed through the toy aisle for the hell of it. They happened to have a GI Joe POC Alley Viper, and be selling him for $9.99 instead of $12.99 like GI Joe's tend to go for at the other Walgreens I've been to.

I still think $10 is a lot for a single Joe figure, but given that I haven't found an Alley Viper online for less than $15, I'm pretty happy.

TRU & Target charge the same $10 for joes now, so I gave in and bought the Sgt. Stalker that hung at my CVS for-EVER.

Vaporware fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Aug 14, 2012

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

boom boom boom posted:

Does anybody have the license for Edge of Tomorrow? I'd throw down some serious cash for a ThreeZero Full Metal Bitch.

Wouldn't that just be a thing. The movie did a good job of making that suit interesting rather than generic HALO spartan/Anime Hardsuit.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
I found a 16" Purple Sentinel at a thrift store yesterday for $10. I assume this is a good deal? I'm not really into xmen, but sentinels are pretty cool.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

Louisgod posted:

Which one, the Legends BAF one? If so, that's a steal.

I wish, No, it was the one bushifox linked to. Money's tight lately so I spent a while thinking about it even at $10.

They had a big hulk too, I suspected some kid's collection got cleaned out.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

The Taint Reaper posted:

That's amazing...those....eyes.

They have mastered eye technology, we now know what must be done.

[IMG] hat in hands puss in boots.jpg [\img]

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Soak the socket in hot, not boiling water. That should let it stretch. You may have been making the fit worse by folding the edge inward as you pushed, effectively making the hole even smaller.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
Yeah, sometimes those $400 toys are things you could have out in your living room as an art item. It's the same home decorating game people play with expensive vases or paintings.

In the same way, even though my wife won't let me decorate my house with $20 action figures, I don't feel bad handing a box of ML or transformers over to the neighborhood kids to play with in the driveway.

edit: saving up for a new hip, pfft I'll just commission hot toys to make me one, and it'll look exactly like my old one, win/win.

Vaporware fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Mar 5, 2015

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
The only SW toys in the pipeline I'm keeping up with is the 3A x Starwars crossover. Not that I can afford 3A anymore.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

NotAnArtist posted:

3A stuff is always balls to the wall awesome but I think I loving need this

I would jump onboard, but I have too many dolls to display tastefully already. It's hardly a difficult piece to fit into my collection, but I haven't yet figured out a display arrangement. I'll be knee deep in shippers if I let myself buy everything I have wanted lately.

I'm drawn to the glassed bookcase, very museum, but it doesn't feel right for 3A's dirty look. They'd do better in some sort of model railroad diorama shadowbox, but :effort:

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
The 3A Starwars TKs are up at bambaland, but I'm going to have to wait. I will chase them down later if I need them.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

NotAnArtist posted:

Every time my finger hovers over the TK Stormtrooper ''preorder'' button my brain kicks in and says it's a $160 toy I don't need. My brain is a jerk.

Truth told I'm not a fan of the orange accents. If 3A does another color variant I'll see if I can't drink my brain into submission.

I understand that $160 is a ton of money, but you'll be out $200 later. [/3A economist]

The thing about that is that I am FINE with spending another $40 on top of $160 to wait for in hand pictures and reports of defects. My alternative outcome is that I don't like it and I've saved $160.

The only thing that makes me want to push the button now is how much my son loves stormtroopers... but he's 5 so we're cool with a Black series trooper for $20. Stupid irrational collector brain trying to trick me into justifying toy purchases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
I know you guys aren't huge into jumbos, but 3A's world's best robots finally hit, and the pics are coming out really nice. poo poo of course I can't find any right now, but it's like 3 feet tall.

I'm partial to the design, but like many things now-a-days I'm not sure I'm $300 into it.