Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.
Hey I just caught the GI Joe Superbowl spot on Youtube and I realized I didn't hear much word about when the action figure tie-ins are supposed to hit. I saw reviews for the Sienna Miller Baroness toy (whose facial features didn't really strike a chord with me) but I wondered if anyone had any info on the release dates of those suckers?

Also first page! Hooray!

I'm probably really late in the game, but I also spraypainted my Mark 2 with Silver Paint and thought it looked a lot better, since the one they released seemed a bit too "War Machine-ish" to me. Also I still hate this thing because of the bizarre loose knee-joint problem that only seems to plaugue the Mark 2's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.

TheKingPuuChuu posted:

You know, I just had a thought. Today I was going through a box, and I still have a "Fathom" exclusive figure from Wizard from god knows how many years ago....

So I wonder, outside of Ebay, is there an official place to find prices on these sort of things?

Yeah like the guy above said, priceguides are typically a joke because you need to be more concerned with actual market value. eBay being the leader in moving secondary market action figures, it wouldn't be easy to find anyone willing to buy a figure for too much above eBay prices.

Rubiks Pubes posted:

So what's the word on the movie-related GI Joe toys? I know they are coming.

Yeah my question was ignored :(

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

Fish Of Doom posted:

What honestly blows my mind is that the MSRP is $8.99! Holy loving christ! I don't think there's any circumstance where I would pay nine dollars for a poorly painted tiny figure of a character who's had infinitely better figures made of it. DCUC is $8.99 at Target right now, and those are arguably the best mass retail toy line currently on the market.

There goes your collector market. $9 is also steep for kids too, especially since all you get for $9 is one figure. DC's smaller figures are $5, and kids could buy almost 2 of those for every one Marvel 4" scale figure.

And Hasbro can absolutely be out of the loop. The reason the Indiana Jones toy line died is 80% Hasbro's fault. Until the end, they still swore that Shia Lebouf figures were big sellers. People were telling them otherwise in every Q&A, and they kept denying it. Now I go to Wal-mart and that one figure with the snake is all that's left on the pegs. People won't even pay $2 for that figure. Instead the figures that people want like the last crusade and temple of doom waves, were all only 1 figure per case.

Hasbro really can be as dumb as you think.

Edit: http://nycc08.figures.com/showphoto.php?photo=1926
Fuuuuck, I could probably paint it better than that.

Also, haha, the new Movie Masters packaging sucks
http://nycc08.figures.com/showphoto.php?photo=565

Haha everything about your post was entertaining. Those Shocker toys look like they were painting by someone with Parkinsons.

.. and I have a feeling those Movie Masters packaging are just for the reissued Movie Masters. I think they'll still keep their premium box for the new wave that comes out, I think it was a movie to avoid confusion in the aisles and make sure their newer product sticks out against their older offerings.

As for SPEED RACER toys.. who the gently caress actually buys those?

Onslaught <3
http://nycc08.figures.com/showphoto.php?photo=708

Why aren't there any pictures of the little Marvel figures? I'm interested in them because I like that scale, but from everything I've heard they all would be in leagues worse in terms of quality and detail than the GI Joe line. :(

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

Satsuki posted:

Sounds like it could be a fun line.

I wish NECA had been able to get the rights though originally.

Well if Mattel is going to introduce this as part of their Movie Masters line I can't see anything going wrong. Those figures were some of the best sculpted and durable figures I've ever seen mass produced.

Neca made figures with bizarre plastic that seemed easily mangled and warped.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

Solidus posted:

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=HMV78025F
dunno if this has been posted yet, but they are all awesome.

Oh man that Sabretooth is too adorable.. hhaha..

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

Fish Of Doom posted:

Goddamn, Mattel.

HOLY poo poo. I just jizzed in my pants.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

Alrighty.. gonna buy the poo poo out the Gi Joe sized Iron Man and Captain Umerica.. and the Spidey and Friends 3-Pack.

Also which ones are YOU going to vote for?

I'm gonna vote for as many half naked chicks as possible so we can get a set which will be dubbed "Tit Wave"

Moonstone, Psylocke, Dagger, Stepford Trio.. heeeh... and Paper Bag Spidey? :/

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

tmfool posted:

This boggles my mind considering that the current Joker looks like this:

LOL.. yeah the paint app may not look as polished but the movie masters joker actually has a brilliantly sculpted face.. and with a little paint job can look pretty good.

At least to me.. :/ With my unprofessional painting hands..

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

Man, I hate you.

I didn't get to go out for the last two days because of a severe headache that's kept me up the past two nights.. but gently caress drat what a bad time for that huh?

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

Rhyno posted:

The comic shop I work at. We also got the new Marvel Universe figures in but we're not supposed to put those out until March.

Really? My friend said he saw them on shelves already.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

Fish Of Doom posted:

So.. Punisher is a Mongoloid and the Johnny Storm is going Super Saiyan after someone urinated on his face.

On the other hand I thought Spidey and DD looked nice.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

Stage of History posted:

I found em at Meijer. Probably not going to keep any, so jump on em if you're interested and want them before all your friends!

Which did you have? Do you have pics?

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

Djarum posted:

You know while I hate what Hasbro is doing, I don't think Mattel's approach is what I would want from Marvel Legends. DC's characters for the most part have the same sort of build and body type so that the same basic base body for every figure works.

You know I agree with what you say about the DCUC line 100%

But can you imagine the types of figures they would churn out for their movie masters line?

Spiderman, X-Men, Wolverine, Daredevil (even if the movie was lovely I thought the costume was neat)... oh my god.. <3

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

GI Joe Movie Line:

http://i.toynewsi.com/g/index.php?mode=album&album=09_Toy_Fair%2FHasbro%2FGI+Joe%2FRise+Of+Cobra%2F&dispsize=600&start=0

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

Djarum posted:

Well it's a good move for Toys R Us since the Muggs are going to bring in solid money.

I read the that article that they canceled the Snakes Eye Mr. Potato head. Every one of those Movie themed Mr. Potato Heads have done real well and cost almost nothing to make. Hell I even own them.

Seriously is Hasbro ran by morons?

I am the President of Hasbro and you'll be excited to know we are only canceling popular "easy to produce" lines to gear up even better offerings.

What do we have on tap? GLAD YOU ASKED.

Just TRY not buying a toy of Optimus Prime riding a Motorcycle!

How about a Transformers/GI Joe that turns from Duke then into a Tank or something?

3 Words: Repaints! Repaints! Repaints!

Did somebody say Star Wars My Little Pony's?

We're also set to release 12 new Spider-Man Puzzles! One for every month of the year!

So you see.. this year is going to be a banner year for us. Better get those wallets ready folks!

- Signed
J.R. Douchebag
President of Hasbro

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

Joe Fisto posted:

NECA is also doing the turtles with their answer to Mighty Muggs.

If he comes with weapons wouldn't he hold it kinda weird?

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

drat YOU HASSBROOOOOO!!!

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

Ace Rockhawk posted:

This is the only reason I see for picking up any of this line. I want a Cyclops, Nick Fury, WWII Captain America, Hood, and Modern Armor Thor to lead my GI Joe collection.

Speaking of by the way... it really wouldn't hurt hasbro to throw in little GI Joe stand things with these figures. I picked up the Iron Man one to check the line out, and he's cool for his size, but his pose-ability is pretty limited due to a week knee joint and several poses resulting in him toppling over.

yeah that's actually the only reason why I was looking so forward to this line. Im probably going to be buying much more of these guys than I did of the Legends-sized figures because I was also a bigger fan of GI Joe sized talls since I was young.

Another issue that plagues the 3inch Marvel line is the plastics seem to be lighter than the ones they use with Joes. So it's really bizarre trying to stand them up when they have a natural propensity to fall down even though they are super poseable.

Shiftypenguin posted:

Yeah, that's what I thought at first, too. It's weird, the MU guys are just a smidge larger than the Joes. Very disappointing IMO.

It seems to me that it would be more profitable to make it the exact same scale and maybe reuse some parts from various Joe molds. (Especially the guns.)

I didnt get this either, I was thinking the exact same thing. I didn't know why they just didn't fuse all their Star Wars / GI Joe proportions (which are arguably the same) but instead make the Marvel line a bit of an outcast by making them a smidge taller and a little bit thinner than the average figure.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I wasn't really into the figures.. but gently caress I couldn't resist getting some Blank Whites..

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

Donde Esta posted:

Oh man, Obamugg is awesome. I might have to pick some of these up. I got a ton of acrylic paint and I might even be able to play it off as a sunday afternoon craft activity with the gf if I play my cards right.

Thanks!

Dude.. it is SO fuckin' fun. My Might Mugg collection quadrupled (I only had one.. LOL) after finding the Blanks.

I cleaned up my Cobra B.A.T. and added the ponytail on Akuma.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Do some of those have LED's in them? They look awesome by the way, if I had any sort of confidence in my ability to paint something I'd give it a shot. Love the Ninja.

No LED's but I used a foil sticker when I thought the eyes should glow.

Thanks! It was a lot easier than I thought it would be to go from attempting to custom my figures to just making my own Muggs. Since the detail level is so low it's almost like drawing a stick figure compared to trying to paint details on a Marvel Legend or something.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

LightsGameraAction posted:

He's definitely an A-10, an extremely poorly camoflouged one, but an A-10.

Who needs camouflage when you're the God of Thunder Robots?

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

Johnny at least has a consistent vehicle mode paint job but then you realize his vehicle mode is a jet that's on fire.

Sounds like a Michael Bay wetdream

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

Learn to sew, read up on how real clothes are made and then scale it down appropriately?

Honestly, that's really all I can think of. I imagine making a trench coat for an action figure isn't much different from making a trench coat for a human, except for the size. I imagine the materials, cut, fit, and patterns would essentially be the same (exaggerated action figure proportions aside).

The toughest part about making doll clothing (I dont sew.. but on observation) is that you have to find unnaturally thin cloth.

If you were to (for example) take cloth from a shirt you used to wear and scaled down, cut out and did the whole sewing thing on it, the cloth would be way too thick and would lay badly on the figure.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I did some customs too! <3

eBay

I put them all on eBay since I don't have a job and need to make money somehow.

Jet Ready Go fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Mar 25, 2009

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

Just found a Deadpool at TRU the other day..

I gotta say I'm a bit disappointed though.. the sculpt of the figure is fine but the upper thigh area isn't a ball joint the way the Marvel Universe figures are.. and as a result takes a bit more playing around with in order to pose well. In fact trying to move the leg around has shredded some of the plastic where the leg swivels. What the gently caress?

Still a nice figure.. but I'm buying a lot less of these than I expected due to the price point.

I bought two but now I'm wondering whether or not to return the 2nd one.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

Djarum posted:

You know what is depressing that I just realized? Less than 5 years ago you could have got a much better Deadpool, in a larger scale, with a flight stand and Doop for less than what that Deadpool costs.

I paid 7.99 for this guy.. so maybe it's the -same- price?

But yeah I know what you mean.. I'd kill for the Legends Deadpool... who probably uses the same size sai my little guy does. :(

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

Fingers McLongDong posted:

my LCBS has one MOC for $60 if you really wanted it I could get it for you

Thanks for the offer, but even that's too much for me atm (No jobbies).. which is why I would rather murder someone for it.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

What makes it even more retarded is that it's Hasbro, who has been making ninja figures via G.I. Joe since 1984. You'd think there'd be somebody who works there who would go "uhhhh... seriously guys? seriously?" or here's a thought- just give the guys with weapons G.I. Joe weapons. They're in the same drat scale anyway.

My biggest issue was why they aren't making them out of the same plastic and interchangable parts with GI Joes.

I dunno.. call me crazy but you'd think they could re-use the average Snake Eyes mold a few more times to throw out a Deadpool I wouldn't be ashamed of owning.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

Jamesman posted:

That's what they used to do back in the day with the Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat licenses. Which lead to things like Ken having grenades on his shirt, or Shang Tsung having ammo clips across his chest.

Haha.. well I don't expect them to be THAT lazy this time around.. but come on.. at least have the parts be hot-swappable. :(

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

2 Things.

1. I thought the bottom guy (Lupin?) was Spock at first

2. Where do you live so I can rob you of your Iron Men?

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

Djarum posted:

I am kinda surprised they are selling them only online. Last time I checked the Movie Masters stuff did really well at retail. Hell, the Batman stuff at my store STILL is doing really well.

There were rumblings that the factory that made the toys went under so it delayed the production of the movie masters at a larger scale.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

The funny thing is their figures looked less impressive and had less detail, but the Hasbro legends had one thing over the older ones: They were actually built solid. I've never had a problem with posing the few Hasbro ML's I have basically anyway I wanted. The older ML figures I always had the complaint of what's the point giving a figure 20+ points of articulation if half of the joints are flimsier than a sheet of paper and can't support the weight of the figure.

I seriously think Hasbro did the figures better, they just looked less good.

I agree here.

The thing that bugs me the most though?

The Japanese collector toys.. you know.. like Revoltech and other toys with $20-$30 price points are made so flawlessly and wonderful. All the joints react the way you want them to, rarely stick, they can support their own weight, flawless paint jobs.

I don't understand why and how Hasbro expected to sell a $14.99 Legends figure that had a crappy paint job when for $5 you could get a flawless fully posable rendition of Optimus Prime from Revoltech.

Like what the gently caress. Even that $20 Marvel Select line has weird sculpts and bizarre poses (read: Cloak and Dagger, Extremis Iron Man).. I don't get what the Japanese seem to know about toy production compared to its American counterparts.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

Thanks America. Land of the free, home of the stupid. LOL.

It just gets on me so much, I used to buy one or two figures from any given Legends wave and pose them.. then in about a week they fall down never to be posed in the same way again because of lovely joints or warping plastics. Then I stopped buying them and concentrated on Japanese collectables... I pose them over and over.. they never falter and their limbs are always as tight as the day they were born.

I really wish America could begin pushing the concept of responsibility rather than having whole generations of dimwits who sire babies that have little to no hand eye coordination and would choke and die on pieces of plastic.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

Donde Esta posted:

Uhhh...does someone want to explain what Batman is wearing in this picture...

http://i.toynewsi.com/g/index.php?m...ize=800&start=0

Zebra Stripe Batman. It makes perfect sense. It was from Detective Comics #204 where Batman needed to infiltrate a team of Zulu warriors that worshiped Zebras and dressed accordingly.

Fish Of Doom posted:

1 legend figure a month for $20 each, only 3000 of each made. They'll make their money back and people will be happy. Actually, that's wrong, people will complain no matter what, but it would solve some of the problem.

$20 for a shitass figure? gently caress that poo poo.

I can hardly get myself to send $10 on their retarded Marvel Universe figures.

You know what I don't get?

You got GI Joes.. and you got Star Wars figures.. why the gently caress did Hasbro decide to waste MORE money by creating a whole new "sculpt" line? An inferior one at that.

I'd have been so happy to buy "25th Anniversary" versions of Marvel Figures.. you wouldn't believe it. I would have literally bought every single one, and I have a feeling there are people here who would have done the same thing for the GI Joe size, articulation, and price point.

Am I the only one that thinks there's some weird smelling poo poo in toilet town?

Why the hell are we getting bizarre rear end in a top hat figures from the MU line and when is Hasbro going to need 400 Billion of my bailout money because the only thing they are good at is creating Spidey cars and taking turns sucking each others dicks?

Jet Ready Go fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jul 25, 2009

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

Fish Of Doom posted:

I just said that because that's pretty much what Mattycollector asks for a single figure. Marvel Legends would probably also use less reused parts than the MOTU line as well. It's what the Dark Knight Movie Masters will go for as well. $20 at the least is what they'd be each, two packs would be like $35-$40. Limited production numbers means that they'll have to basically charge what a comic store would charge.

Oh yeah sorry about that, I didn't mean it to sound like a personal jab at you. What you said made sense. I just meant $20 for the current shitassness of Hasbro "Legends" toys would be even more dick shrinking than the $10 price for their baby raping MU line.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

Djarum posted:

I hate linking to this guy because he is a huge douche but these are the only easily linked pictures.

Curious in what way he is a douche? I've heard of him before but up until this point haven't heard bad things.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

Curiouser.. is he actually Japanese or is his moniker just some lame animu dude I never heard of?

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

Djarum posted:

WELL. Holy poo poo. That is Hot Toys level paint job right there. Amazing especially for the small scale. I love how Wolverine went from "Hasbro Constipated" to "Fierce Truck Fighting Badass" with a few flicks of the brush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

Djarum posted:

240 MILLION dollars for a single peg in the toy isle. That isn't just depressing that is pathetic.

I agree with most of that. It DOES seem like Hasbro went in with absolutely no idea what they were doing and decided raising costs and making a lovely product where the way to go.

However I think the mindset stems from the execs not understanding the toy market. It sounds silly I know, but I feel like they're still stuck in the early 90's late 80's mindset of toys.. whereas most other toy companies and moved past that and beyond.

I think if all the Hasbro execs went to Japan and saw the amount of possibilities and craftsmanship that goes into the Japanese Toy Market they may realize they should change courses rather continuing to create products that look like chinese knock offs.