Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Entropic posted:

The only Banks book where I really had that problem was Inversions. Once you figure out that Doctor Vosill is a special circumstances agent (which is obvious from the beginning if you noticed that it a says "A Culture Novel" on the cover) you immediately lose any sense of possible danger for her. In some of the other books, most notably Use of Weapons, the characters may be for-all-intents-and-purposes physically immortal but they can still be emotionally destroyed. In Inversions though, you don't ever really get inside the heads of the Culture characters so there isn't even that possibility.

There was still UrLeyn/DeWar/Perrund's story. And I still found Vosill's story fairly entertaining.

I honestly rather liked Matter, although I will agree it dragged once they got to space. And the Morthanveld were certainly interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Chiming in to that that I, too, loved Matter and while the ending did indeed feel rushed, I think it's a relatively minor flaw in an otherwise great book.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Flipswitch posted:

Yup, that's Look to Windward. Which is easily my favourite out of the lot simply for the character interaction scenes on the Orbital.

Looking back on the Culture novels, for me the lowest of the lot I think is Matter, largely because I didn't care much for the main story, but it however does have one of my favourite endings when the book suddenly jumps the gun and the pace rockets forward, I was glued to it from then on.
I really enjoyed Matter (and the similar Inversions) although I will admit that Matter dragged a bit when they first got into space.

That said, I think my least favorite was Consider Phlebas - which is a shame because I felt like there was a really interesting story int here trying to get told, but that it kept getting caught up in sidetracking "filler."

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I thought the Pre-Melding Plague stuff we saw in The Prefect was a lot like a dark, slightly less advanced, gothic take on the Culture.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I also really enjoyed Matter and would like to see a follow-up of some sort. I will, though, concede that it dragged a bit in places, but I still liked it.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
If I'm not mistaken Banks had said - and the texts make it fairly clear as well - that all the Culture books are in chronological order. So while the exact frame of time between stories may - and does - vary, each book does in fact take place after the one preceding.

Barring, I suppose, possibly some of the out-of-order parts of Use of Weapons.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
The Bliterator is Surface Detail, not Matter. Surface Detail, unsurprisingly, deals a fair bit with death and mind-states. There's the Chay character, after all.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Regarding Inversions chat; I have no idea why, let alone any ability to articulate it, but for some reason I really like Inversions.

Wasn't there an earlier edition of the book that had some manner of preface that more explicitly reveals it as part of the Culture setting?

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Doesn't Matter also reference/spoil a major plot development from Excession (The secret fleet in Sleeper Service)?

If it's not Matter, it's one of the (obviously) post-Excession ones. Surface Detail, maybe? I know it wasn't Hydrogen Sonata.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Strategic Tea posted:

You still have to respect Horza a little,

Empathize with stupidity and you're halfway to thinking like an idiot. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
There's also the Shellworld builders and the Iln in Matter - and hell the whole thrust/theme of Matter.

• Locked thread