Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008
Filled with a non-goon :(

Bisty Q. fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Dec 14, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StockOption
Aug 14, 2005

Time is money, friend.
Job Openings in Seattle, WA making multiplayer games for the iPhone.

Company: Z2Live, a venture-backed indie iPhone game development studio/publisher.

(Sorry for the wall of text.)

Position: Game Designer

The ideal candidate will have experience on handhelds such as the aforementioned iOS devices, Nintendo DS and Sony PSP, Facebook and/or PC Games. Candidates should be fluent in game design practices, social gaming, and freemium models, with a deep understanding and passion for end-to-end game development. Strong communication skills are also required to excel in our dynamic development environment.

Essential Functions:
· Passionate about games and interest in making mass-market casual games
· Ability to establish and maintain the game’s vision, scope and moment-to-moment experience.
· Design, test, and balance of gameplay mechanics and content.
· Effective communication with other artists and programmers to ensure creative vision is fulfilled.
· Play, test, and critique the work of yourself and colleagues.
· Collaboration across teams to produce innovative ideas for design issues, new game concepts, and meeting deadlines.
· Enthusiasm about receiving and providing constructive criticism
· Highly detail oriented, with understanding of player life-cycle from introduction to late-stages of the game.
· Planning, running, and responding to usability and beta testing results.

Requirements:
· 2-5 years experience of successful design and development of casual and social game titles.
· Experience with design software, placement tools, and databases.
· Strong knowledge of wireless devices.
· Skilled communicator of concepts and technical ideas.
· Thorough understanding of video games and their commercial appeal to the general public.
· Able to work well independently and as a team player

Position: 2D Artist / Animator

An ideal candidate will have a wide range of experience and skills, able to execute anything from concept sketches and mock ups to finished production-ready art for use in a game.

Requirements:
· 3+ years of illustration experience in Photoshop or equivalent software; Illustrator and Flash experience is highly desirable.
· Ability to create in-game animations and work with programmers to implement those animations.
· Collaboration with game designers, engineers, and other artists to create, iterate upon, and finalize art assets for new and existing games.
· Strong environment and character design skills; additionally, strong design of user interface, icons, buttons, avatars, marketing materials, etc. a plus.
· Great sense of line and form, texture, color and lighting, anatomy, technical and architectural design.
· Passion for gaming and social networking.
· Broad range of subjects and styles; from detailed and rendered to simple and cartoon-like.
· Ability to effectively communicate verbally, visually, and in written form.
· 3D experience is a major plus, but not required.
· Ability to take direction and work well with others.

Position: iPhone Game Developer

Z2Live is bringing the next generation of gaming to mobile. We're looking for a rockstar iPhone Game Developer to work on our internal games, our Multiplayer Game SDK and with top external publishers.
Z2Live is a venture-backed startup located in downtown Seattle.
An ideal candidate for this position should have:
3+ years of Game Development Experience
Excellent C/C++ and Java programming skills
Experience with Objective C and the Cocoa Touch API
iPhone Development experience on a shipped product
Heavy networking experience
Experience creating frameworks, templates, and documentation for others to use
Experience with Adobe Photoshop
Strong English written and verbal communication skills
Experience with Ruby on Rails and Flash AS3 a plus!
In addition the candidate should be:
Comfortable in a fast paced, start-up environment
Comfortable collaborating with artists and other engineers
Self motivated with the ability to self manage his or her own tasks and time
Passionate about Gaming, the iPhone, and the next generation of social Gaming!

Position: Server Engineer

Join our growing iPhone game studio focused on leading edge multiplayer experiences! The ideal candidate is an experienced hands-on software engineer with an understanding and passion for multiplayer server development. The candidate should have a proven track record in successfully developing multiplayer server systems to production quality. Strong communication skills across disciplines are important for the candidate to succeed in our dynamic development environment.
Essential Functions
Work with an Agile sprint team to define, estimate, and implement
game systems.
Work with design and other engineering teams to specify server systems.
Write, document and test code to implement the technical and game design
Review and critique code design and implementation from other programmers
Contribute to the ongoing evolution of the software development process
Abilities
4 year degree in computer science or equivalent
3+ years experience software development
2+ years experience in games development
Highly proficient with sever side Java
Experience with MySQL a plus.
Commitment to integration, scaling and stabilization of large asynchronous distributed systems
Experience with the full game development cycle from concept to ship
Production experience with the following technologies highly desirable: multiplayer games, web services, customer support and ecommerce systems, complex event processing, TCP or UDP socket servers, Linux, MMO servers, databases, or online game security.
Passion for making and playing innovative games

Email stockoption [at] z2live [dot] com with a cover letter / resume and I'll forward it on.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

So in the year or so since I posted in here, I finally managed to pry $250 bucks out to take the CCNA tests. I take ICND1 in two weeks. But this job is rapidly going from bad to worse, and I'm feeling stressed enough to try in here again.

My experience: 2+ years doing help-desk type work for student computing labs, 1.5 years regretting ever joining the Geek Squad, 4+ years in my current job, which is basically working in the NOC at a University Data Center. I have experience dealing with 3rd Shift and On-Call type work as well. It'd be a whole second post listing all the brands and systems we touch. As I said, I'm working on my CCNA as we speak.

What I'm looking for: Network-admin or systems-admin type work. I have more experience in Windows than in *nix. I'd love a job with some kind of budget for training (anything above nothing beats my current job), and I'm willing to go and get whatever certifications your outfit wants me to have. I want a job where I can learn and gain new responsibilities that are not just more of the bitch work.

What I'm NOT looking for: Entry level help desk, jobs where there are no prospects for advancement/training.

Where I live: Tempe, AZ.

Where I'm looking: Tempe, AZ and surrounding areas. Someday I'd love to live in Seattle, WA (or around there), but I'm not in a position to move unless I have a job waiting, or could get some assistance moving.

When I can start: Within 2-3 weeks of a solid job offer, possibly sooner depending on the time of year. (We are at our busiest during the start/end of semesters, breaks, and exam times, and despite my feelings about the work environment, my co-workers are all great people whom I'd hate to leave in the lurch.)

Requirements: Do you offer benefits of any kind? Insurance? That's basically it.

Can be reached via: PMs, my username at gmail.

internetpizza
May 8, 2007

Oh man, grownups and their sleazy conversations!
I'm in my last year or so of my Software Engineering degree, and I'm trying to find a paid internship for this coming summer (will be graduating this time next year if everything goes according to plan). Found this thread, figured it'd be worth a post.

My experience: C++, C#, C, some Oracle SQL/PLSQL, SQL Server, and a small amount of Assembly.
What I'm looking for: Anything related to the software design and development process.
What I'm NOT looking for: At this point, I don't really know what I'm not looking for .:shobon:
Where I live: Central Oregon during December and the summer months, southern Oregon during the school year.
Where I'm looking: I would prefer somewhere within feasible traveling distance (west coast US, British Columbia is cool too!). I may not be financially capable of moving farther than that.
When I can start: Mid-June 2011.
Requirements: None, really.
Can be reached via: jaketeaford at gmail dot com OR jacob dot teaford at oit dot edu.

Thanks!

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
filled

KS fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jul 12, 2011

BUSINESS CATTE 2.0
Dec 23, 2002

by T. Butt

KS posted:

-It seems Cisco issues big egos along with CCNP certs. If you somehow missed out on that you'll be an excellent fit for us.

ahahaha this is a great line that I'm going to steal a lot

good luck finding the one without the other though

Munkie
Feb 3, 2007
Mmm..chickens
Oxford University Press is looking to immediately hire a Production Data Controller (New York, NY). OUP is a great place to work, and the benefits are excellent due to the non-profit status.

Job Summary:
Own and manage the XML data aspect of OUP’s publications, including preparation, conversion, processing, loading, and testing of XML texts and other data for publication online (or licensing), ensuring they are of appropriate quality, checked, and loaded on schedule and to budget.

Required Knowledge and Skills:
Knowledge of XML and tagged data, and ability to read and interpret a DTD required
Experience using XML tools, e.g. editing, parsing, and QA tools required
Excellent analytical, problem-solving, planning, and organizational skills
High degree of attention to detail
Ability to work independently or as part of a team
One years’ experience managing the updating of digital publications preferred
Strong communication and negotiation skills for dealing with external suppliers and freelancers
Experience of allocating work to, and managing, offshore suppliers preferred
Editorial or production experience a plus

Email me to apply or if you have questions. Smpqn9 [at] gmail [dot] com with cover letter and resume so I can pass it directly to the hiring manager.

GoonyMcGoonface
Sep 11, 2001

Friends don't left friends do ECB
Dinosaur Gum
Thought I'd give this another shot as a few more positions opened up.

Who are we? Chitika

Where are we? Westborough, MA (Central Mass - 45 min from Boston)

Open Positions:
  • Linux Systems Administrator (Jr.)
  • Linux Systems Administrator (Sr.)
  • Software Engineer (All levels)
  • Data Analyst (Software + Math = Love)
  • Statistician
  • VP of Engineering

Would you like to work at/in...:
* A company recently named one of the top 100 Tech Startups in the WORLD by Red Herring?
* A red hot sector like online advertising with Google, Yahoo and Microsoft plowing the road?
* A high growth company in online advertising with a significant established base of 100,000+ websites?
* A company with a fun and challenging work environment?

Then check out our Open Positions. If you are interested in any of them, hit me up on IM, or pop me a PM. I'll make sure that your resume will get looked at by the right people. (Me, for some jobs.)

Edit: Added VP of E.

GoonyMcGoonface fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Dec 28, 2010

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
I'm beginning to feel like a piece of meat up for auction - in the last 3 days I have received calls from TEN DIFFERENT Staffing firms for the same contract position. Gratifying to be so widely considered as a perfect fit, but the rates some of them were offering was insulting. Those agencies I immediately began considering as parasites. Fortunately I also got a call from the company that was actually referring the candidates to the customer and their rate was much more satisfactory (apparently they get a request for someone and then put out a request if their own search doesn't turn anyone up - fortunately I popped up on the radar after they had exhausted their list and got the call).

My experience: A+, Network+, Security+, 2 years of Helpdesk (Tier 1), 16 months as a contracted PC Technician (Tier 2) supporting a call center, Bachelor's degree in Education with actual teaching experience in high school classrooms.
What I'm looking for: Desktop Support and junior Systems Admin
What I'm NOT looking for: Anything entry level unless absolutely no other option exists.
Where I live: just outside Dayton, OH - Cincinnati and Columbus are in opposite directions approximately 60+ miles away (I won't commute that far).
Where I'm looking: Dayton, OH and suburbs (Kettering, Fairborn, Beavercreek, Springfield, Xenia, Bellbrook, Oakwood, Wright-Patt AFB, etc).
When I can start: Now
Requirements: Dependent on responsibilities and status (salaried vs hourly)
Can be reached via: mguerns at gmail dot com.

I just passed the Security+ exam today, so I'm still pumped by that. I'm not a geek god or tech nerd who knows every piece of hardware by serial number and part number and correct name, but I know how to find out what's broken, why, and how to fix it quickly and at minimal cost. I've been building computers for 15 years, I know my way around computers, and I'm not afraid to get dirty.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Yup.

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jun 28, 2014

angrytaxman
Apr 16, 2006

H110Hawk posted:

Same company, still kickin! We are tentatively looking for an Office IT Bitch. (We likely could use another sysadmin though one is starting soon. We always need developers in various positions with knowledge of one of: Java, Erlang, Hadoop.) While the job position is not formalized yet we are pushing hard for it to be and we will not waste your time if we don't have salary approval.

As the job title implies you will be supporting a bunch of lenovo and mac laptops plus a smattering of HP desktops running any number of operating systems. A basic understanding of how Windows Server works would be a plus because we will probably be buying you one. You may also be put in charge of maintaining stock levels of the above mentioned things. Room to learn if you like, there are books all around which people will let you borrow. If you seem interested in learning JunOS there is room for you to monkey with our office network.

This position will not be glamorous, but you will get to work for a startup in Los Angeles with healthcare and stock options under a quite cool boss.

Who do I contact about this, and where in the LA area are you?

bj2001holt
Apr 6, 2003

KS posted:

We are looking for a Sr. Network Engineer in Novato, CA, Bakersfield, CA, or Lexington, KY.

I work for the hiring manager and he's pretty good to work for. I've been here two years. The pay is good, the company is growing, and the work is interesting.

-Know routing inside and out, have experience with MPLS, QOS, and VOIP in large environments. Be able to manage complex projects from inception to completion.

-It is absolutely critical that you have the people skills necessary to interact with executive-level, non-technical employees, and that you are able to demonstrate those skills in an interview.

-It seems Cisco issues big egos along with CCNP certs. If you somehow missed out on that you'll be an excellent fit for us.

Link to apply. Drop me a PM if you apply.

Sent you a PM to get info on the technologies involved, salary expectations, etc.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Yup.

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jun 28, 2014

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

H110Hawk posted:

Cover letters are exercises in futility, but a one line description of what you want to do would be awesome.
Why can't you be in the DFW area or more hiring departments have your attitude?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

brc64 posted:

Tell me about it. I read his post without reading the quote and was like "hell yes, where is this?" and then I saw the LA part and was sad.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

brc64 posted:

This is why I don't work in HR, I couldn't put up with that sort of crap. I imagine much of it has to do with being a LA tech company. (Editing out company name) was the same way when I worked there.

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jul 11, 2022

TheGreenBandit
Dec 22, 2006

President of the United States of Boogers

H110Hawk posted:

Office IT Bitch

PM sent!

Namlemez
Jul 9, 2003
Filled.

Namlemez fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Mar 18, 2011

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

Crazy has and always will be a way to discredit or otherwise demean a woman's thoughts and opinions
My experience:
10+ years in support environments
Windows Server 2008 Systems Administration
Windows Server 2003 Systems Administration
Support for Windows XP, Windows 7
2003 and 2008 Terminal Services environment
10+ years supporting desktop and server hardware, x86 and 64 (primarily HP servers)
Thin clients including Wyse and HP
10+ years front line and Tier3 support
Some storage experience with SANs and Windows file servers
Exchange 2003 experience and training
ESXi administration and builds
Autodesk Inventor plus Vault backups administration
SEP 11 administration
networking support including Novell. Oh yeah.
WSUS implementation and administration
Sharepoint WSS 3.0 builds and administration
Microsoft DAX support (not at BSA level)
Wireless networking with Cisco equipment
Mitel VoIP basic administration
Symantec Ghost
Domain and network based services in Active Directory including DNS/DHCP/WINS/RRAS
Most models of MFC copiers and Laserjet printers
Vendor management and purchasing
24/7 on call
"cloud" based computing

What I'm looking for: Systems Administration and Tier 3.

What I'm NOT looking for: Anything with Tier 1 as primary duties. I want someone else to swap out the mice! (Though I am not against swapping out mice as a rule :))

Where I live: Portland, OR

Where I'm looking: Ideally Hillsboro/Beaverton.

When I can start: 2 weeks from job offer

Requirements: median market, 40 hours, health insurance, 401k, no more than 25% travel, close to public transport

Can be reached via: tcraighenry @ gmail dot com

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

This is why I don't work in HR, I couldn't put up with that sort of crap. I imagine much of it has to do with being a LA tech company. DreamHost was the same way when I worked there.

the irony is that what you put sums up exactly what a lot of people like to see with job postings: some loving honesty and character, not just "we want people with masters degrees because we're using windows 7 and ipads off of a government grant!" or worded as boilerplate "seeking professional with 10 years in cobol, c++" when they want python. etc.

Roughly, a lot of HR and management has no loving idea about IT. If this job were in Chicago, I'd have applied.

netmazk
Jun 15, 2003
Position filled.

netmazk fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jan 25, 2011

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

Hi

My friend (not me) is looking for a RoR dev for something that may well end up open source. The pay is negotiable. It's a community sharing type site, he has a fairly clear idea of what he wants with wireframes/mockups etc. That is about all I know, you can get more details from him by sending a mail to dani.mcgoo@gmail.com with your cv and some samples.

It would be a plus if you are in Sydney, Australia but if not might still be ok, send him a mail and find out.

unixbeard fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 16, 2011

Punkin Donuts
Oct 3, 2003

You know what time it is.
I'm a sysadmin at a small-ish company, but my company is being purchased by a much larger firm on Jan 1 and I'm being slotted back into a Desktop Support position. The pay is perfectly acceptable (read: more), but as I was promoted out of Desktop Support a year ago, I'd really rather not go back. That means it's time to test the job market waters, so here we go!

My experience: 11+ years of Desktop Support, plus varying degrees of systems administration. For the past year I've been the systems administrator for a small-ish company (~250 people, 20 servers). My certs are A+, Network+, MCSE, and I'm currently working on my CCNA and Security+.
What I'm looking for: System/Network Admin (Junior level would be perfectly fine).
What I'm NOT looking for: Help Desk, or a solely Desktop Support role at a large company (However I would be more than happy being an all-in-one IT guy at a smaller company).
Where I live: San Diego. However I'm originally from New Jersey and have been seriously considering moving back East to NYC. A job would seal the deal!
Where I'm looking: San Diego, New York City
When I can start: I'd like to give 2 weeks notice at my current job.
Requirements: Health Insurance, Benefits.
Can be reached via: A PM, or punkindonuts at gmail dot com

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
I'm currently working for a very early stage startup in Toronto, ON. We think we have a terrific idea and have attracted a ton of insanely positive investor attention, enough that growing our dev team is our #1 priority.

Here's the posting we recently put up on Craigslist:

pre:
# work.nil? 

Influitive is looking for ultra-motivated, talented developers to build some 
seriously complicated and very cool products. 

## what we do 

Influitive is building a system to help companies identify and enable advocates 
within their existing customer base to help potential prospects through the 
buying cycle. We do this by doing in-depth analysis of the companies social 
graph, sales and marketing applications, and activities such as e-mail and other 
online channels to find who has the strongest relationships within a company's 
network. 

## who we need 

Here's what's important to us as in our developers: 

* Extraordinary software engineering talent. 
* Substantial experience developing web applications. 
* Comfortable speaking both tech and business speak. 
* Likes working with the bleeding edge. 
* Model geek citizens (please let us know if you've worked on any OSS projects, 
or share your GitHub with us). 
* Comfortable working at any level, from database tuning to CSS. 
* Experience with Ruby / RoR a plus. 
* Experience with compilers, distributed systems, and machine learning a plus 

Ideally we're looking for someone who wants to grow with the company and move up 
to a strong leadership role over time. 

## location / other details 

We're located in Toronto, currently at Yonge and King. We're fairly flexible about 
working from home, but you should expect that the majority of your time will be 
spent in the office here. 

We think we are working on something that is very important and that lots of people 
will use every day. If you're interested, please e-mail us. 
If you're interested, please PM me or e-mail me at ryan@influitive.com.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Just gonna hang this up once more:

I'm a lead at a contracting company providing operations support to a major shipping company (the one with an arrow in the logo), and while I'm satisfied, I've reached the end of my growth potential here and am pursuing greater things.

My experience: 2 years leadership and technical analyst work in a datacenter environment monitoring ~500 Linux, Windows, and Solaris servers. Provided leadership to a team of 15-20 analysts while continuing to backfill personal analyst role.
What I'm looking for: Something to grow, learn, and evolve. Leadership/Management a plus.
What I'm NOT looking for: Help Desk
Where I live: Orlando, FL. Will relocate.
Where I'm looking: Anywhere.
When I can start: 2 Weeks Notice.
Requirements: Health Insurance, Benefits.
Can be reached via: A PM, AIM in profile, or legitimateemail@gmail.com

jarito
Aug 26, 2003

Biscuit Hider
Rackspace is hiring for TONS of positions for our Cloud and Managed Hosting areas. They fall into lots of different categories, but since I'm a dev, here are the dev openings:

Software Development
  • San Antonio, TX (7 positions)
  • Austin, TX (2 positions)
  • Blacksburg, VA (7 positions)

Other areas we are hiring in:
  • Business Development
  • Network Security
  • Network Engineering
  • System Administrator
  • Data Center
  • Software Developer
  • Management
  • Linux
  • Corporate

Go to http://www.rackertalent.com/ and apply. I'm an Architect in the San Antonio office. If you want my help on the backend (and you do, our recruiters are seriously overwhelmed) or have any questions just PM me and we can talk.

swampnutz
Oct 30, 2005

We're looking for a jack-of-all-trades people/systems support person in Vegas!

Job Description:

A growing, two-company communications group is seeking a full-time Support Engineer in Las Vegas to assist in support of geographically dispersed staff and all IT infrastructures. The position is a mix of help-desk support for 70+ staff and 40+ freelance workers, wrangling of managed/cloud services, and support of in-house IT equipment and process. Occasional travel for on-site IT support at live-audience production engagements will be required. This is a dynamic and busy environment that will require traditional IT chops as well as the ability to adapt to constantly changing needs and initiatives. The user base is non-techie and creative; the position will be best served by experienced, general IT wisdom coupled with great people skills and an enthusiasm for enabling technologies.

Responsibilities:

• Provide local and remote cross-platform support for servers, printers, desktops, laptops, and mobile devices
• Provide local and remote software support for knowledge workers using Microsoft Office, Outlook/Entourage, Acrobat, Adobe CS, browser-based Cloud applications on PC and Mac, and other misc. software
• Monitor and troubleshoot LANs and internet connections
• Maintain multisite Active Directory networks, accounting systems, local file servers, backup systems, scanners, and printers
• Work with various Cloud providers to ensure smooth email, CRM, project collaboration, file transfer, mobile, and backup services
• Monitor and troubleshoot office phone systems
• Deploy new and replacement equipment as necessary
• Perform minor computer and other equipment repair
• Consult with staff for project-related IT questions and brainstorming
• Travel to provide IT support at live engagements 4-5 times per year

Qualifications:

• Excellent interpersonal skills, patience, and a proper IT “bedside manner”
• Ability to work independently with some schedule flexibility
• Solid record-keeping skills and documentation habits
• Mastery of remote-administration and remote-support tools and techniques
• Ability to remotely troubleshoot LAN elements – Ethernet, wireless, printing, hosted Exchange connectivity
• Equal experience supporting Windows XP/7 and Mac OS X in an enterprise environment; thorough Mac OS X usage and troubleshooting knowledge is critical but traditional Windows chops are also necessary
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office and Outlook/Entourage
• Ability to diagnose and troubleshoot malware infections on Windows
• Ability to support various mobile device types – Blackberry, iOS, some Android
• Knowledge of Microsoft Server 2003/2008/Active Directory, Group Policy, DNS, DHCP
• Ability to monitor and troubleshoot Backup Exec and tape drives
• An enthusiasm for emerging and relevant internet/Cloud technologies and concepts

Position includes health/dental care and 401(k) benefits.
Send resume and salary requirements to lvjobpost@gmail.com

Edit: include the word GOON in your submission please!

swampnutz fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 3, 2011

Nomex
Jul 17, 2002

Flame retarded.
Job opening in fabulous Bermuda

Well, the time has finally come for me to move on from my job. I'll be moving back to Canada, and need someone to take over. The job is ideally suited to someone young (25-35), preferably single with no kids. British law applies for the most part, and it wasn't a tremendous adjustment for me when I moved from Canada. The work atmosphere is pretty laid back, and the management at my company is great. I regularly party with my co-workers and boss. During the summer it's pretty much a non-stop party for adults. The income tax rate is 5.75%, and you don't have to file taxes. It does cost quite a bit more than normal to live here, but I have yet to meet anyone who didn't walk away with all their debts paid off and some savings.

When: June 1

About the company: My company is an IT hardware and solutions vendor. There's a lot of small corporate offices in Bermuda that don't have enough people or equipment to maintain an IT staff. We provide pretty much everything those companies need, from servers and storage to network administration and project management and everything in between.

About the job: The role is primarily a field support role. Here's what I do on a day to day basis:

- Hardware support of laptops, desktops, servers, blades, storage, fabric switches, printers, copiers and tape libraries (and I mean ripping this stuff apart and fixing it)
- Software support for Windows, Backupexec, VMWare
- Part time network administration for several small companies
- Pre-sales consulting
- Deployment with Ghost, WDS and SCCM

Ideally we're looking for someone who's gay for infrastructure. If you're not so strong on some of this stuff it's ok. We've got some really great senior level guys who are more than happy to show you the ropes.

Now, as you can imagine, finding people who are good at this stuff in the real world is difficult. It's even harder to find people willing to pack up and move to an island. If you're technically competent, have a strong work ethic and are looking for a change that I can guarantee will be the best move of your life, send me your resume. Certs aren't so important, as long as you know what you're doing.

I've been working at this company for over 5 years now. Most people in this country don't last more than 2. I can't say enough good things about how I've been treated. My boss is pretty laissez faire, and as long as the hours are being billed I've got a really long leash.

Why the gently caress are you leaving if it's so great? As I said, I've been here over 5 years. Any island starts to get really small after a while. I need to get back to the real world for a while. It pains me to leave, but I'll go nuts if I stay another year.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask here or drop me a PM.

Edit: One quick word on taxes: If you're Canadian, you don't have to pay Canadian income taxes when you're here. Americans are tax free up to $90k (could be $120k now, I know they changed the rules but I don't really pay attention as I'm Canadian). They pay a really reduced rate after that.

EDIT: The Bermuda government is cracking down on work permits, so if you can answer either of these two questions, this job is a good fit for you. Sorry to everyone who's sent me resumes already. This is out of my control, and I feel bad for getting some people's hopes up:

1. An HP DL785 with 8 CPUs and 512GB of ram (8 removable boards with 1 CPU and 64GB of ram each) is only reporting 1 CPU and 64 GB of ram on boot up. How would you troubleshoot this issue?

2. You need to connect a new server to a fiber channel SAN. All the correct hardware is in place. Assume you've connected the server physically to the storage network. No software configuration has been done. What are the steps required to present a LUN to the server? (The actual software steps might be different depending on SAN type, but the general process is the same regardless of hardware)

Nomex fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Feb 5, 2011

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Where: Nashua, NH

Helpdesk position for a Managed IT company.

We do support for a wide variety of clients. It's been pretty exciting in the 5 months I've been here so far, definitely been learning a lot just by virtue of touching systems and software I've never touched before.

This is the Craigslist post, or you can PM me for me email and I'll hand in your resume for you.

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jan 6, 2011

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!
Job Title: Messaging/MS Exchange/Desktop Monkey person

Company: An ultrageneric midsize consulting company

What we're looking for: My company provides development, business process, and infrastructure services to insurance companies. We have approval to expand the messaging department because we're dying with the workload we have for clients, and we're tired of doing the small amounts of desktop monkeywork that intrudes in our billable hours because we fired our desktop guy a couple of years ago in my office because we downsized so much in 2008.

Requirements
Decent experience with administration, deployment, and troubleshooting of Microsoft Exchange 2003/2007/2010 environments (migrations from Notes or to higher Exchange versions are a huge plus)
Solid experience with Active Directory/Windows Server
Ability to do Windows XP/Office/Dell workstation monkeywork as needed (there's only 25 or so people in our office so it doesn't come up often).
Must be literate and able to communicate with clients in a non-embarassing manner.
Must not ever refer to users as "lusers".
We track our billable hours, so you must be organized and able to document what you did and for how long without too much bullshit.
Mobile device support (BES and Activesync) (yeah, we're sticking you with the Blackberry troubleshooting at first)
Must be able to work well with me.
Must be able to get virtually parachuted into client environments and figure out 1) wtf and 2) how to fix poo poo fast that you have no idea the background of and why it's broken.
Enterprise Vault/Ironport/Forefront/OCS would be ace to have too

Environment
We work in a nondescript office building in Las Colinas. There's only 20 people here and there's no infrastructure here (it's in a datacenter far far away) so you will never ever touch a server again while at this job. You'll likely need to suck it up and do any desktop work necessary here or in an even smaller office in Lewisville, TX as needed, but it wouldn't be more than 10 hours a week on average. There's a decent amount of phone work with our clients' users, but it's not really lowest tier stuff as we have a desktop group who does all that in a different city. Think more specialized Outlook and Exchange support.

The company pays okay, is very reactionary, and will pile poo poo on you until you break, but on the upside you get as much responsibility as you can handle and will hopefully learn some stuff you weren't exposed to before.

Pay
I saw $45k-$55k mentioned, but I wanted to crank it up higher and get a real good Exchange/Forefront/OCS guy in here, but I don't know how realistic that was. Honestly, I think the company is being cheap and we'll be pleased with someone with some experience but a good capacity to learn.

Hawkline fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 7, 2011

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Hawkline posted:

Job Title: Messaging/MS Exchange/Desktop Monkey person
Added to the OP and sent a PM.

Seawaffle
Jun 21, 2007
making a career of misquoting
Well, I'm not having a whole lot of luck lately, so I figure I'll throw my hat in the ring.

Experience: ~3.5 years software development (C++ and C# desktop apps), some personal experience with Java, Python and Ruby, BS in Engineering Physics.
What I'm Looking For: Full-time software development, decent benefits. I'm definitely big on learning new things.
What I'm Not Looking For: Constant grind/death march. I have a wife and a kid on the way, and I'll need to spend time with them, not trudge through 80-hour weeks.
Where I Live: Houston, TX
Where I'm Looking: Preferably sort of local (Houston, Austin, Dallas), but I'll relocate for the right job.
Requirements: Health insurance is required, the sooner I can get it the better.
When Can I Start: Two weeks after offer, possibly more if relocation is necessary.

Seawaffle fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jan 7, 2011

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

I'm just throwing this out there to see what there is. I'm not too serious about finding a new job but I really should be making more than I am now.

My experience: Just over 4 years of IT Consulting. Supporting everything from home users to companies with 100+ users. Mostly Windows Server environments.
What I'm looking for: Either another consulting gig or joining an IT team for a larger company.
What I'm NOT looking for: Help desk
Where I live: West Warwick, RI
Where I'm looking: Pretty much all of RI and within 15 miles or so into Mass.
When I can start: I'd say 3-4 weeks notice for my current employer would work
Requirements: Health coverage, somewhat casual dress environment
Can be reached via: This thread for now, or PM.

Poops McGee
Aug 27, 2004

Boy, this Funke is all anybody's ever talking about!
Looking for a new job.

My experience: Just over 3 years of IT Security. I was an analyst at Secureworks, I administered security devices (IPS). Worked with clients to solve their needs, be it troubleshooting, analysis, threat intelligence or a reporting issue. I have experience working with a wide swathe of the IT infrastructure, from grunts to admins to the VP of IT. I also analyzed a lot of security events! I have BS in "Applied Networking and Systems Administration" with a focus in network security from RIT.
What I'm looking for: I would prefer to join an existing Security Operations team at the Senior Analyst level, although in my experience the responsibilities of this title differ greatly between organizations. I would like to provide a team with the experience I have in working in a large Security Operations environment. Failing that, I would like to consider any other ITsec role, my experience is more specific to a SOC environment, but my education left me flexible for other roles.
What I'm NOT looking for: Help desk, entry level.
Where I live: Atlanta, GA.
Where I'm looking: Atlanta, GA. NYC. I would consider offers in other locations as well.
When I can start: Pretty much immediately.
Requirements: Health coverage.
Can be reached via: PM. devinlnewman at gmail dot com

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
Who we are: We're a smallish consulting firm that builds custom applications for and supports businesses in the Twin Cities using Microsoft technologies.
What we're looking for: We've got a couple of different departments. App Dev (C#/VB.NET, ASP.NET, Silverlight, WinForms, SQL Server) , Business Intelligence (SQL Reporting Services, SSIS, SQL Server), SharePoint, and IT Support. We're looking for people who can hit the ground running, so we'd prefer that you have at least a couple years experience in whatever you do. You also need to be able to sell yourself to a client, so some people skills are a must (no cold-calling though -- we have a sales team to get you in the door). This also means that you need to be willing to dress business casual unless you luck out and land a client with a casual dress code. Microsoft certifications are a plus, though not required.
Location: Burnsville, MN (Need to be willing to commute to client sites though... I've probably seen the home office 10 times in the past year.)
Approximate opening date: We have the motto that if we find the right people then we'll find them work. And currently our salespeople have more work lined up than we have people.
Benefits: Medical, dental, some 401k contributions, training time and money. Most hires salaried with "productivity plus" (extra pay or PTO) if you bill more than 40 hours a week.
What you will do: App Dev - Create/support custom applications. BI - Create cubes and reports. SP - Make/support SharePoint sites (duh). IT - Keep client servers/desktops from exploding.
Disclaimer: I'm not actually involved in hiring. I'm just a dude in the App Dev group. Though I do carry the unofficial title of "Dictator of Fun" (read: guy who sets up happy hours and other fun team building activities).

Important Edit: While that motto about finding the right people applies to all of our departments, I was just told today that we're mainly actively hiring in the App Dev group. And we could use another SharePoint person who knows a thing or two about web parts.

BONUS LISTING

One of my clients unexpectedly had to fire their main junior-ish programmer and they're looking for a full time hire with a related degree and/or a couple years experience. They're a national construction-related company based in Edina, MN with a few custom apps to help their sales team create bids and process jobs. I don't know all the gory details but I assume they have all the standard benefits. Technologies used are SQL Server, Reporting Services, C#, ASP.NET, Javascript, WinForms, and (to a lesser extent) Microsoft Dynamics NAV.

Contact: Drop me a line at my username at gmail if you're interested or would like more info. Let me know which listing(s) you're interested in as well.

ImpactVector fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Feb 7, 2011

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:

ImpactVector posted:

Sent you an email

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

netmazk posted:

We're hiring a Systems Administrator in Pittsburgh, PA.

Minimum/General Experience:
  • BS in Computer Science, Information Systems, or related field is preferred
  • 1+ years of work experience in a professional environment preferred
  • 2+ years of FreeBSD or Linux experience
  • 1+ years of SQL experience (preferably using MySQL or PostgreSQL)
  • 1+ years of scripting experience (PHP, Shell, Perl, etc...)
  • Familiarity with free/open source concepts and software
  • Understanding of networking including IP addressing, subnetting, routing, switching, WAN
  • Basic knowledge of security/encryption technologies (PKI, SSL)
  • Experience with system, network, and information security business processes
  • Strong oral and written communication skills
  • Outstanding organizational skills

Benefits:
  • Premium Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
  • 401(k) Savings Plan with Matching Funds
  • Paid Holidays
  • Flexible Paid Time Off
  • Casual Dress
  • Conference Attendance Stipends and Paid Training
  • Free Parking

is there another way I can contact you besides AIM?

soj89
Dec 5, 2005

Kids in China are playing tag with knives, on playgrounds constructed of spinning razorblades and spike traps, because it will make them stronger.
I'm looking for an experienced "IT guy"/computer janitor/small IT services firm who can take on a service contract (not a permanent in-house gig, I'm afraid) for a small law firm in the GTA (Markham/Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada). I'm not sure how many Ontarigoons who are in IT will service this area but I've been tasked with recommending someone who can take over for me as the "go-to computer guy" here.

The firm was very unhappy with their previous IT services contractor and I prefer to leave them with someone who can handle the sporadic but steady work in a professional and competent manner.

Tasks include: maintaining a small office network (8 Win7 machines and a Win2008 Server), network setup, best practices for domains and backups, and dealing with random problems that may arise with a 3rd party email provider. You should also be able to take apart my server setup and fix it so that the "Gremlins" that still occur once in a while are fixed (details when you email me).

Though it's a small office, you must be able to provide speedy (within 1 or 2 hours max) response as the lawyers here have short fuses and deal with lots of $$$$$ transactions.

If you're able to meet these requirements, please e-mail me at bluemonsoon at gmail dot com and I'll speak personally with you about details.

Alternately, if you know of or have worked with anyone in the past in the Toronto area who can meet these criteria, please let me know so that I may contact them for this job.

sonikburn
Jun 12, 2001

CAN I OFFER YOU A NICE EGG IN THIS TRYING TIME?
Well, this whole looking for a job after college thing hasn't been going so great, so maybe a kind goon can help me out.

My experience: Other than working a couple of part-time internships, one which I'm still working at, not a whole lot. However, I did just recently graduate and received an Associate's Degree in Informational Technology with a focus in Cisco Networking, so I have quite a bit of hands on experience from classroom labs.
My Certifications: CCNA, CCNA Voice, A+, and MCP
What I'm looking for: A full-time entry level position as a junior network analyst, or something of the sort. I know my place in the food chain right now with very little work experience, so compensation is absolutely negotiable.
Where I live: St. Louis, MO
Where I'm looking: St. Louis or the metro St. Louis area, preferably.
When I can start: As soon as possible. Just give me a little bit of notice so I can inform my current employer.
Can be reached via: PM or bwelle at gmail dot com.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

I'm pretty sure everything in http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=382171501&forumid=22 has been filled.

That said, we're pretty much continuously on the lookout for QA/SDET folks and C#/.Net developers, so if you're in Chicago and looking for something new, let me know.

We're a SaaS/ASP software company downtown, all Microsoft tech stack. We're just a few blocks from Union station, so ez commute from the suburbs too!