Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
JOB POSTING
Network Engineer Portland Oregon

Who are we?
Biamp Systems, we make high end audio/video gear for conference rooms, paging systems, etc.

Where are we?
Portland Oregon

When:As soon as possible.
Remote? No.
Relocation No.

Job Description
The primary role of the Network Engineer is to assist the Senior Network Engineer with the design, build, and implementation of network systems across the enterprise. This includes planning, developing, installing, configuring, maintaining, supporting, and optimizing all local and wide area network connections, corporate servers, associated software, firewalls and communication links. This person will also troubleshoot network performance issues, analyze network traffic and provide capacity-planning solutions.

What we actually need:
Someone who follows directions, understands how to plug cables in, document things, not be dumb.

What's it like to work here?
Mellow, you get a lot of personal freedom, working from home is OK on occasion. We're growing, we're going to be growing very fast in the next couple of years after we were acquired recently, so it's a pretty exciting time.

The position offers healthcare, dental, 401k matching (4%), (initially) 3 weeks PTO/year, yearly profit sharing (into 401k)

The bad
The salary is a little low for the Portland market, we won't sponsor relocation.

We have a giant load of technical debt we need to pay off.

How to apply
Apply here: https://jobs-biamp.icims.com/jobs/1458/network-engineer/job

PM me and let me know you applied so I can laugh at your resume. (or recommend a phone screening)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

IS THAT A STUPID NEWBIE AVATAR? FUCK NO, YOU'RE GETTING A PENTAR

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Products
JOB POSTING
Web developer with experience with Ruby on Rails and Javascript

Who are we?
We are an online social wellness service. We incentivize people to participate in social events by having users log social activities and earn rewards.

Where are we?
Birmingham, Alabama

When: As soon as possible.
Remote? Yes
Relocation? Possibly in the future

Job Description
At this point we need assistance on completing our website before we launch. Working on this project could lead to employment if the company is successful.

What we actually need:
Ruby on Rails and Javascript experience to finish up our website.

It will all be remote unless you happen to live nearby. You can work however you want as long as you're meeting deadlines.

The bad
We can't offer any benefits for you outside of what we can pay for this part of the project.

Send me a PM and I can give you more information about the company, show you what we have so far for a website, and talk in more detail about what we're looking to accomplish.

hummingbird hoedown fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Mar 29, 2018

BallsBallsBalls
Jun 2, 2017
My experience:
In the realm of IT? School. I'm finishing up my A.S. in I.T. at a local community college in May. I've got a good grasp of networking, python, security concepts and Windows. Decent with Unix, Cisco, and SQL. I've set up a home lab to get a grasp of some basic AD stuff and I'm not afraid to self-teach. Other than that I've been in aviation for the past decade and a half. I've run myself ragged for the last two years working and going to school full time to break out of something I no longer enjoy and I'm looking to make a change. I also picked up my Sec+ last summer. I'm a self starter, extremely motivated, sociable, well organized, and can handle myself in almost any situation.
What I'm looking for:
Full time employment and a foot in the door. School is coming to and end and I've been putting my resume out there with zero luck. I'm confident that if I could get an interview I'd be able to land something, but I feel that my resume is holding me back due to lack of experience. I'm not married to any discipline in the IT realm, but I thoroughly enjoy command line and making things more efficient.
What I'm NOT looking for:
I'm not being too picky, but I've got a mortgage to pay so I'm really going out on a limb here and hoping for some good faith.
Where I live:
Western Mass.
Where I'm looking:
Western / Central Mass. Northern C.T. Willing to commute up to an hour for the right job.
When I can start:
Mid May
Requirements:
Health insurance, full time, enough pay to support myself and family.
Can be reached via:
PM

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Wait... are you looking for a Chief Technical Officer or a person to help you finish a website? Cause uh... those two things are really different.

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

IS THAT A STUPID NEWBIE AVATAR? FUCK NO, YOU'RE GETTING A PENTAR

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Products

KillHour posted:

Wait... are you looking for a Chief Technical Officer or a person to help you finish a website? Cause uh... those two things are really different.

You're right. It is much more web work at this point. I've updated the posting.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Dross posted:

Job Seeker

My experience: 3.5 years in a desktop/warehouse support role for a large specialty distributor. Currently attending a full stack web development bootcamp on nights and weekends which covers HTML, CSS and JS and some modern frameworks on the front end, .NET / C# / Azure / SQL on the back end. Will be finished early 2019, or could transition to a full time day class and be finished earlier if I could work outside those hours.

I seem to have a natural aptitude for understanding data manipulation more so than visual design.

What I'm looking for: Another desktop support or VERY junior dev position where I can rapidly learn as I go, preferably with room to grow.

What I'm NOT looking for: Sales

Where I live: Nashville, TN

Where I'm looking: Greater Nashville area, prefer no more than 20-25 mile commute.

When I can start: Immediately

Requirements: 35+ preferably 40+, regular business hours or entirely outside them, good benefits package a big plus

Can be reached via: Forums PM or email: johnachor @ gmail . com

If anyone knows a recruiter in my area or anything I'm not picky at this point.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

BallsBallsBalls posted:

My experience:
In the realm of IT? School. I'm finishing up my A.S. in I.T. at a local community college in May. I've got a good grasp of networking, python, security concepts and Windows. Decent with Unix, Cisco, and SQL. I've set up a home lab to get a grasp of some basic AD stuff and I'm not afraid to self-teach. Other than that I've been in aviation for the past decade and a half. I've run myself ragged for the last two years working and going to school full time to break out of something I no longer enjoy and I'm looking to make a change. I also picked up my Sec+ last summer. I'm a self starter, extremely motivated, sociable, well organized, and can handle myself in almost any situation.
What I'm looking for:
Full time employment and a foot in the door. School is coming to and end and I've been putting my resume out there with zero luck. I'm confident that if I could get an interview I'd be able to land something, but I feel that my resume is holding me back due to lack of experience. I'm not married to any discipline in the IT realm, but I thoroughly enjoy command line and making things more efficient.
What I'm NOT looking for:
I'm not being too picky, but I've got a mortgage to pay so I'm really going out on a limb here and hoping for some good faith.
Where I live:
Western Mass.
Where I'm looking:
Western / Central Mass. Northern C.T. Willing to commute up to an hour for the right job.
When I can start:
Mid May
Requirements:
Health insurance, full time, enough pay to support myself and family.
Can be reached via:
PM

Not that Mass is lacking in tech jobs, but we (Red Hat) have our largest engineering office in North America in Westford. Maybe a little too far East for you

Not gonna recommend specific jobs, but poke around our web site and PM me if you find something that looks appropriate/appealing

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Job Seeker

Experience: One year as a graduate data analyst with a multinational corporation, plus some Python contracting, and a short-term contract correcting a municipal council's database while suggesting future logic to prevent the need for future corrections.

I have made extensive use of PowerShell and Python in my day-to-day, typically to perform analysis on and manipulate large data sets, automatically gather information from the corporate network, and produce reports. I have also made use of as simple statistical and other analytical methods, and Excel. I have communicated my findings to audiences with varying levels of technical expertise, and have a background in writing. I have easily adapted to new technologies and skills required by my jobs, and I am not afraid to pick up new tools.

For my education, I have a one-year diploma that is the equivalent of a year in a computer science degree. I wish to complete my degree in the mid-future.

What I'm looking for: Anything to keep my foot in the door and building towards a career, likely in an analytical role. I'm happy to move anywhere to make this happen.

Where I live: New Zealand.

Where I'm looking: I'm legally allowed to work in Australia and New Zealand, and I am willing to relocate wherever the work is. Remote work is also an option.

When can I start: Immediately.

Can be reached by: PM

Additional notes: I have been regularly getting interviews, but I definitely need to explore all the options available. If there is anyone in SH/SC who can help make that happen, I would be incredibly grateful. You will find me to be a hard, smart worker who can bring impeccable references to the table on request.

cforrester
Apr 3, 2007

We thought the Lord was gonna call Joel home until we got this card. Cambot, can we show a picture of this one?
edit: no longer looking, thanks everyone who messaged me

cforrester fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jul 10, 2018

bestbrents
Dec 2, 2002

Pillbug
JOB POSTING
Experienced Android developer

Who are we?
We're a well-funded startup in the fintech space matching gig economy workers with new opportunities while providing additional services ie banking

Where are we?
Atlanta, Georgia

When: Now
Remote? No
Relocation? In general no but for an absolute amazing fit we'll consider

Job Description
Taking lead on all things android. At this stage in our company we are setting up an internal team that is taking over development from a team associated with our capital group.

What we actually need:
You'll be tidying up a POC app for the first month or so, we're trying to launch in july/august. After that you'll be making all of the technical decisions with regards to how to implement features on the android side of things.

Some strengths we're looking for: integration with api backends, analytics, writing clean and testable code

We're a brand new startup and its growing rapidly. I was the first technical hire and I've been around for about 2 months now. Many of us have worked together at previous companies so there is already a good team dynamic.

Being a startup we have a uniquely strong funding situation so theres no insane pressure from the business to perform or anything, and no crunch time.

One of the good things about working here is that you're able to help develop the way the team works (our dev team is 4 people right now) both technically and culturally.

We get catered lunch 3 times a week, theres snack food in the office, and you can bring your dog if you want.

The bad
The coffee here is poo poo. Seriously. I'm working on it.
We are still working on getting our agile process together, so we haven't achieved the optimal "flow" like I think is ideal, but I think we'll get there in the next month or two.

Contact
PM or email me cevett at steadyapp dot com

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
JOB POSTING
Sr. Systems Administrator

Who are we?
We are Biamp, we deliver, manage, and enhance professional audio and video for the most effective, natural communications possible.

Where are we?
Portland, Oregon

Remote? No, but working from home one or two days a week is acceptable once you're up to speed.
Relocation? In general no.

Job Description
The Sr. Systems Administrator conducts maintenance, administration, and support activities of moderate complexity, including software, platform, and configuration for Technology at Biamp Systems.

What we actually need:
A windows/VMWare administrator who is forward thinking and is willing to pay some technical debt and help steer us towards growth.

Essential Job Functions:
Ensure 24/7 operational support and maintenance of systems and infrastructure, including monitoring and maintaining systems and infrastructure as well as participating in day-to-day operations.
Participate in day-to-day operations and work with business units to plan, design, and implement systems and infrastructure.
Conduct or lead others in the day-to-day maintenance and administration of systems, including software, platform, and configuration updates.
Identify root causes of operational issues, resolves problems and/or recommends solutions for implementation by others.
Lead in developing tools, automation, and scripts to facilitate systems maintenance and administration.
Plan and execute platform-oriented projects that include business unit initiatives and updates to existing infrastructure, products, and/or services.
Work with business units to plan for new projects and events, including capacity planning, monitoring, configuration, security, metrics, reporting and recovery, and migration strategies
Provide support for multiple levels of testing prior to release of new and upgraded infrastructure, products, and/or services.
Use data and metrics to plan for business unit growth needs, plan upgrades, migrations, and functionality.
Participate in the development of best practices, validation, and adherence. Responsible for documenting the infrastructure and monitoring systems.
Participates in the development of large technical solutions that meet specifications and that impact future developments.
Participate in on-call rotation as part of the global support team.
Travel to support remote offices, both domestic and international.
Other duties as assigned by your Supervisor.

The bad
We have a shitload of technical debt. Like seriously a shitload.

Compensation: 70k-90k yearly. Company 4% 401k match, Company 401k bonus (historically 6% - 9% of salary), Dental, Vision, Healthcare etc.
Contact https://jobs-biamp.icims.com/jobs/search?ss=1&hashed=-435711832 (The job should be posted in the next 24 hours.)

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Job Seeker

Experience: Ten or so years of informal Windows troubleshooting, 2 years of helldesk and generic customer service. I have enough familiarity with Linux and AWS to run an IRC bouncer, I know what AD and GPOs do, and I can set up WSUS. No certs yet - too broke.

What I'm Looking For: An internal, onsite support or jr. sysadmin role.

What I'm Not Looking For: Phone-only helpdesk.

Where I Live: Sacramento, CA. I'm not currently able to relocate.

Where I'm Looking: Anywhere within 30 minutes of downtown Sacramento. Strong preference for positions with apartments in reasonable biking or walking distance.

Resume: Sucks, editing to make it better.

When I Can Start: Immediately

I Can Be Reached By: Private Messages

dragonshardz fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jun 29, 2018

Raveyyy
Oct 16, 2001
100% Pure Penislotion Grade A
edit: no longer available

Raveyyy fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jan 9, 2019

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Worth a shot I suppose to see if anyone around is interested.

Looking for: Mid-level Systems Consultant

We're a small MSP that deals in everything from SMB Break/Fix to Medium Enterprise multi-office environments for both IT and Telecom. Heavy emphasis on Medical IT.

Located in Western NY (Buff | Roch) [Client base extends out of NY into surrounding states]

Relocation: No assistance for relocation, but open to out-of-area applicants already looking to relocate themselves.
Remote: In a sense. WFH is definitely something thats kosher on the reg for the right staff, but on-site work is also required for infrastructure installation or business consulting.

Job Details | Reqs:
We (I) am in dire need of a second mid-to-senior level staff member that can assist in large network overhauls and technical workflow consultation.
You'd be managing most of your clients day-to-day on your own with assistance from our Sales team and yours truly.
Some on-call required.

3-5+ Years of managing computing environments from 15 to 500 users.

Experience in some or all of the following:
VMware | Cisco ASA | HPE Aruba LAN and WLAN | EMC Storage | Barracuda network appliances
Server 2016 | SQL Administration (Non-DBA) | RDweb.
L2/L3 | WAN networking.
SolarWinds nCentral for MSP experience would be a welcome addition. As would Dell | HPE Blade infrastructure.

Looking for someone that can hit the ground running. There's a lot of senior work available and at the moment and we don't have time to train someone up from entry-level positions. Willing to work with anyone that has strong underlying infrastructure skills that needs training on particular product lines. Prior consulting or MSP experience would be a definite help.

Ideal candidate should be comfortable walking into places they've never been before, doing network analysis, and crafting infrastructure proposals.

Salary Range 55k-75k DoE (low CoL area, money is good for the location).
401k, Medical contribution, 2-3weeks PTO.
Exceptionally casual environment with good ownership that cares about their employees.

PM if you're interested or know anyone that could be.

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 23:55 on May 19, 2018

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

JOB POSTING
Full-Stack Software Engineer (.NET)
QA Engineer (.NET)

Who are we?
Paylocity - We make payroll / HR / HCM software.

Where are we?
Development positions are 100% remote, but headquarters are in Chicago, IL. There are two other offices in Lake Mary, FL and Boise, ID

Remote? Yes, 100% Remote
Experience level: 3+ years minimum

Job Description
As a member of one of our product teams, you will be responsible for creating, enhancing, and supporting common features. Working side-by-side with Product Owners, Quality Assurance Engineers, and Business Stakeholders, our Software Engineers are actively involved in the complete software development life cycle in an agile environment including technical design, hands-on coding, unit testing, performance tuning, maintenance, test automation, and deploys upgrades.

What you'll be doing
Working to develop new features, fixing issues, the usual stuff. A lot of our products are fairly new, meaning there's not a huge amount of tech debt to deal with. There aren't really any junior developers so you'll be working with a ton of really talented, cool people on some pretty fun stuff. Culture is a HUGE part of the company and it shows.

What it's like to work here
Seriously it's the best job I've ever had and at this point, I'm hoping I retire here. Every single person on my team is extremely good at what they do. Our agile/katana methodology is very mature. PO's / PTL's know what they're doing and sprints flow really well. Really I could go on and on but it's a great work environment and most employees are very happy. We're Glassdoor's 29th best place to work this year and have been on the list in 2014, 2017, and 2017.

Culture and cultural fit are really important.

We do a few team events each year in Chicago, Orlando or somewhere else offsite. A few weeks ago we had our internal tech conference in Chicago and did a ton of cool stuff in the evenings. One team went indoor skydiving, others did Top Golf, Iron Chef, etc.

Executives are very accessible, which is new to me.

Your technical input is very important as well. We don't really have a "one architect per team" kind of thing, but rather all devs have input in technical direction and have freedom to introduce new ideas.

All full-time positions offer health care, dental, vision, life, AD&D etc, 401k matching, employee stock purchase (15% discount), 2 weeks PTO to start. Company also offers paternity leave, if that's important.

Salary for SE's averages at about $105-$110k. QA is around $80k. I pulled those numbers from Glassdoor so I'm not sure if they're still accurate or not. I'm really happy with my compensation though.

What you need to be pretty good at
  • ASP.NET MVC
  • Web API
  • SQL Server
  • Git
  • JavaScript/jQuery, HTML/CSS
  • Agile/Kanban
  • Unit testing, mocking, automation (selenium mostly).
  • Talking to people

The bad

Honestly I don't have any complaints. Working 100% remote can be a challenge for some, and it definitely shows if someone isn't pulling their weight / slacking off. That's about it.

How to apply

Preferably PM me and I'll get your resume fast tracked to the right people. Otherwise, you can view the job postings and apply for the SE or QA position online.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

No pms but very interested. I'm in Denver and a c# dev with nearly 6 years of experience.
Could you email me? C_Harmon@live.com

Same.

Space Whale fucked around with this message at 19:41 on May 20, 2018

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

JOB POSTING
Systems Engineer

Who are we?
A company that manages 6 trillion dollars.

Where are we?
Wilmington DE

When:
ASAP

What you'll be doing
We are working on getting things into kubernetes and we need help doing it.
You will help us do it and we will throw money at you.

Requirements:
MUST have at least a BS.
Applied kubernetes experience is highly desirable.....obviously

What it's like to work here
+Decent salary, bonuses, employee stock purchase program.
+Stable and growing company.
+Small friendly US team. The entire group is ~100 but you will be part of the Delaware team which is ~20 people. (Yes, it was 10 last year)
+Good growth potential. You will interact with pretty much every single other IT group in the firm and have an understanding of their work; we are big on internal mobility.
+You will get to work on a wide variety of technologies.
+Uncapped vacation time. You can technically take "all the time you need" - but realistically anything over 5w/y raises some eyebrows.

Why you should work here:
+ In the time 5 years that I have run this team of now ~20 people starting from 5, nobody has left the company so we must be doing something right.

I'm also looking for more entry/mid level linux admins/ops - same reqs as before - people I hired before have moved on to projects from ops - need to backfill.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3075135&pagenumber=94&perpage=40#post471296779

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
What's the story behind requiring a degree to do a job where the primary required skill can ONLY be self-taught?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Senior management and/or HR department with heads up their own asses, usually.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
And it keeps IT recruiters employed.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Soo yeah - at this point given that I've rejected about 6 goons who didn't have a bachelors uhh I guess that's a "me" question...

In short - we are not an IT firm. We are a financial firm with a large IT focus. Degree requirements are tied to titles - our lowest hiring title and pay scale is tied to a Bachelors/Masters. (Although a Masters + 1/2 years will get you a higher title)

It's not about "you" or your ability to do the job - it's about bringing in someone with no degree into a position and title that is also held by people who have graduated with a masters degree doesn't sit well with upper management and HR. Given that over a quarter of the team does in fact have a masters degree and everyone else has a bachelors it's pretty tough to make a case for looking past your lack of a degree.

I have tried to seek exceptions or bringing people with associate degrees in as contractors rather than full time employees - nobody wants the hassle. Nobody cares to open a req for you as a contractor rather than a full time employee and go through that mess rather than look another month or two and hire someone with a degree.

Fact is - I do not have a shortage of candidates with degrees. I have a shortage of good candidates with degrees, but when I have ~120 "qualified applicants" for a single listing it's not feasible to make a case of hiring an "unqualified" candidate. (And when I say qualified, I mean they have a resume that lists the required skills and a degree - not that they actually know the things they claim, most people who claim admin level Linux knowledge fall flat on their face when faced with technical questions.)

FileNotFound fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jun 5, 2018

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Sounds like a great reason to not work at your company. :shrug:

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

FileNotFound posted:

In short - we are not an IT firm. We are a financial firm with a large IT focus. Degree requirements are tied to titles - our lowest hiring title and pay scale is tied to a Bachelors/Masters. (Although a Masters + 1/2 years will get you a higher title)

It's not about "you" or your ability to do the job - it's about bringing in someone with no degree into a position and title that is also held by people who have graduated with a masters degree doesn't sit well with upper management and HR. Given that over a quarter of the team does in fact have a masters degree and everyone else has a bachelors it's pretty tough to make a case for looking past your lack of a degree.

Ah, the traditional finance IT model where you get all the downsides of working in finance while watching the finance dudes take home 7 figure bonuses?

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

baquerd posted:

Ah, the traditional finance IT model where you get all the downsides of working in finance while watching the finance dudes take home 7 figure bonuses?

What's the downside again if you can actually get a job here? Cause it's not the pay.....

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

FileNotFound posted:

What's the downside again if you can actually get a job here? Cause it's not the pay.....

People without a degree like to complain.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
Everyone has at least a bachelors where i work, but that is mainly from the fact we get all of our I.T. interns from the local college and if you are good at your job you get hired.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

FileNotFound posted:

It's not about "you" or your ability to do the job - it's about bringing in someone with no degree into a position and title that is also held by people who have graduated with a masters degree doesn't sit well with upper management and HR.

I feel real bad for you. God bless.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

FileNotFound posted:

You sure about that? Pay better be at least 400k total comp for a masters and targeted tech experience to hit the ground running.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

wargames posted:

Everyone has at least a bachelors where i work, but that is mainly from the fact we get all of our I.T. interns from the local college and if you are good at your job you get hired.

At my company, a degree isn't actually required but it's seen as a big plus. The funny part is that no one really cares what your degree is in as long as you have one. On my ops team we've had guys who majored in improvisational jazz and Russian literature.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

baquerd posted:

You sure about that? Pay better be at least 400k total comp for a masters and targeted tech experience to hit the ground running.
I don't know where you get your funny numbers -

https://www.payscale.com/research/US/Degree=Master_of_Science_(MS)%2C_Computer_Science_(CS)/Salary

We pay better than average for the area.

I am no longer responding to the sour grapes in this thread.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Powered Descent posted:

At my company, a degree isn't actually required but it's seen as a big plus. The funny part is that no one really cares what your degree is in as long as you have one. On my ops team we've had guys who majored in improvisational jazz and Russian literature.

The last gig I had hired anyone but paid $10k more if you had a degree with absolutely no difference in duties. Hiring and salary practices are weird.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

I guess if you only hire unicorns you can afford to pay them like unicorns too.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

FileNotFound posted:

I don't know where you get your funny numbers -

https://www.payscale.com/research/US/Degree=Master_of_Science_(MS)%2C_Computer_Science_(CS)/Salary

We pay better than average for the area.

I am no longer responding to the sour grapes in this thread.

Let's be honest. 80-110 is piss poor for anyone who has practical kubernetes experience, much less on the East Coast. Adding a requirement for a Master's just makes it worse.

You could find 100% remote work with a company that doesn't care what timezone you're in or whether or not you have a college diploma if you're a reasonable Linux admin with kubernetes experience (and the requisite CI/CD, background in storage/network scaling, etc that goes with the former skills).

I'm not judging asking for a degree. But "I have a degree so you should, too. We have 9999 candidates who bomb their interviews, but at least they have their degrees!" is dumb. I have a degree, so this isn't personal.

If reducing the stress on the rest of the team from being down a person and increased productivity from another body even if they don't have a high school diploma but can "walk the walk" isn't worth them giving up their "must have degtee!" talk, you should find greener pastures. They're definitely out there.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

evol262 posted:

Let's be honest. 80-110 is piss poor for anyone who has practical kubernetes experience, much less on the East Coast. Adding a requirement for a Master's just makes it worse.

You could find 100% remote work with a company that doesn't care what timezone you're in or whether or not you have a college diploma if you're a reasonable Linux admin with kubernetes experience (and the requisite CI/CD, background in storage/network scaling, etc that goes with the former skills).

I'm not judging asking for a degree. But "I have a degree so you should, too. We have 9999 candidates who bomb their interviews, but at least they have their degrees!" is dumb. I have a degree, so this isn't personal.

If reducing the stress on the rest of the team from being down a person and increased productivity from another body even if they don't have a high school diploma but can "walk the walk" isn't worth them giving up their "must have degtee!" talk, you should find greener pastures. They're definitely out there.

Good thing I took all those classes on being a linux admin and kubernetes/CI/CD in my masters classes!

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

HR requiring degrees for hiring is super common throughout the industry I'm not understanding why some people are freaking out about it. Have some of you genuinely never come across this before?

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Rex-Goliath posted:

HR requiring degrees for hiring is super common throughout the industry I'm not understanding why some people are freaking out about it. Have some of you genuinely never come across this before?

Yeah, it's a thing, but asking for specific skills that aren't taught in any university let alone a masters program is kinda like 'wtf'

It's a catch-22 that most hiring/HR departments don't realize they are even putting out there.

It's the classic we need someone with 10 years of a 5 year old technology.

Plinkey fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jun 6, 2018

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Plinkey posted:

Yeah, it's a thing, but asking for specific skills that aren't taught in any university let alone a masters program is kinda like 'wtf'

It's a catch-22 that most hiring/HR departments don't realize they are even putting out there.

It's the classic we need someone with 10 years of a 5 year old technology.

I guess I assumed that the position isn't entry-level due to that and other people are, then :shrug:

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

evol262 posted:

I know it's bad form to empty quote, but that's basically every point I would want to make.

If you're struggling to find capable candidates with your current hiring constraints and interview process, it seems worth considering that your constraints and/or process should change.

I would laugh in someone's face if they offered me 110k to do an east coast relocation-required kubernetes gig while telling me that it's "above market", doubly so if they adjusted the salary based on my level of education and not my proven work experience and ability to do the job.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
All of the above. Even in the midwest, that's a poo poo range for someone with practical experience with that kind of tech. Kubernetes (and honestly, most modern devops concepts and tecnologies like containers, config management, automation, etc) isn't taught in higher learning environments at all, and they're critical knowledge for doing modern software work.

If given the choice between a person with a bachelor's or even a master's, and zero practical experience outside an internship, or a person that's done 3 years of hands-on software delivery, container management, automation, etc but just has a high school diploma, 9 times out of 10 I'm taking the person with experience, and if I were to put out offers to both, the experienced engineer would get the higher one, without question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I used to come down on the "degree reqs are good" side of this argument, like a decade ago, and I think my overall logic is still very sound (college is/was supposed to be about way more than job skills training).

However, I think the student loan debt system at this point is flagrantly predatory and I cannot in good conscience support it anymore. You're essentially requiring entry level employees be the modern equivalent of an indentured servant.