Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

My experience: 1 year Jr Systems Admin work. About 30/70 desktop support and Windows Server (2003-2012 R2) environment running on a mix of physical hardware and 2x 8 host VMWare clusters. Two physical locations, corporate office and colo at a service provider. In-house SaaS app services 250,000 unique customers, about 20m logins per day, and we allegedly have about 15 million jpgs across our backend. Most of our users are surprisingly literate which frees me up to work on interesting things. Current CCNA (and A+), plenty of layer 1-3 networking knowledge and device configuration. Lots of Powershell, some Perl and some Ruby. Wrote a few scripts to test our web-app automatically, search log files, etc.

Swiss-cheese knowledge about various technologies:
Some experience with Zeus traffic manager, created a few vips, troubleshoot pool issues, etc. This thing is super cool and is basically magic.
Couple of Linux servers, studying for RHCSA at the moment, but have never had to troubleshoot apache issues or anything.
Junior level administration tasks with VMWare environment: Deploying, templates, vMotion, DRS, etc.
Work with a NetApp SAN: Wrote a few scripts to check various health statuses and e-mail us, troubleshoot snapmirror replication issues, etc. Mostly I just ask questions about it.

It seems like all of the non-windows things in our environment just kind of Work and don't need to be babysat constantly, which limits the exposure I get to them. Most of my job is coordinating DNS entries, load balancer configurations, access rights, and configurations for MSSQL, IIS, and various in-house applications built on legacy software with no documentation and questionable development practices. It's kind of a headache, but it's a fun headache when it all starts to work.

What I'm looking for: Junior level Systems or Network, the more linux I get to touch, the better. I'm alright with any level of desktop support, as long as the expectation is there that I will script as much of it as possible and constantly bug the seniors to teach me about whatever they're doing. No call center, no 'help desk', and for the love of god please no Microsoft System Center.
Where I'm looking: Anywhere that isn't California, NYC, or any other place where I need to spend 1500+ per month on a 500sqft studio. California or NYC is fine if I can make enough to spend 1500 per month on a 500sqft studio.
Where I live: Suburb of Los Angeles, but willing to relocate anywhere on my own dime.
When I can start: I would need to provide two weeks notice, and then 0-2 weeks depending on how far I have to drive.
What are my requirements: I need to pay rent and eat food, that's it. Willing to make sacrifices for positions I am particularly interested in. Benefits optional, relocation assistance would be nice but also optional.
Can be reached via: E-mail. stmarier at gmail dot com.

12 rats tied together fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jul 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Job Opening

Who: Rapattoni Corporation. Smallish (150 employee) software development company. Publishes a web-app.

Where: Simi Valley, CA (North of LA / SFV area)

What: Senior Systems Administrator

Qualifications:
  • "Minimum 3 years" working operations in a 24/7/365

• Windows Server 2003 through 2012 R2 (yes we use 2003 in production still)

• Lots of IIS. Position is almost all IIS in my opinion but the HR posting doesn't quite agree.

• Your basic systems admin stuff: Exchange, AD, Group Policy, etc. We use Office 365 in a hybrid (exchange is on-prem) deployment. Should be able to decipher basic Powershell scripts.

• VMWare: We have two 8-host cluster environments that service production and corporate networks. I don't think they really care about the VCP but it couldn't hurt. The current team can mostly handle the VMWare stuff but if we ever had to do any major cluster modifications we would need some outside help (or you).

• Cisco: We use all Cisco gear, but the environment is very basic. We have two layer 3 devices (6509s), probably about 15 switches max. They really want the CCNP but it would be useless in our environment since we have about 5 VLANs and the MSP that handles our Colocation/Prod environment also handles most of the publicly facing networking stuff. No OSPF, EIGRP, and you would probably never deploy a new VLAN. I don't think they really took a look at the CCNP exam objectives, and instead just knee-jerked out a "We have a Cisco device, we need a CCNP".

• Storage: We have a NetApp SAN. 4 head units, I think about 15TB total. You would be the only person on the team with strong knowledge of the SAN/NetApp so IMO this is probably the most important thing along with knowing your way around IIS. I imagine this comes with the territory but knowing about Fiberchannel/iSCSI is a big plus too.

• Linux: We have about 7-8 machines total running Linux in prod (mixture of Ubuntu and FreeBSD), and we have a team member already who is pretty strong in that department. Would be nice if you knew your way around the filesystem and could google whatever you didn't know - It's on the posting but it really wouldn't be that big a deal if you had 0 linux experience. We have a software load balancer running on a Linux box (Stingray SteelApp or Zeus Traffic Manager or whatever they're calling it now) that would be good for you to know your way around as well.

Responsibilities:
Basically the department is the first contact when something doesn't work, even though it's supposed to be the QA team. The web app is pretty large, there's a lot of duct tape, and a fair bit of legacy technology. The expectation is any any candidate, Senior or not, will need around 3-6 months to get up to speed and be able to contribute. We also handle most internal desktop support as users don't have local admin. There's another department for excel macros etc, we primarily do anything that involves admin rights. As the Senior, you would have 2-3 people under you handling most of this but there is escalation at times. Knowledge of Visual Studio/TFS would be big here, in my opinion, and if you're confident with those I would mention that in an interview. Primarily you would be ensuring "99.9%" uptime for the app and heading various internal upgrade projects. We're transitioning from PBX+Asterisk+Lync into a full on Lync environment and we'd like to get our prod servers updated from 2003 to 2012 R2 sometime soon - just to give you an idea of where we're at right now.

The good:
Team is pretty cool, somewhat laid back environment. Vacation/Holidays are pretty good (everyone gets a free week off the week of New Years or Christmas). The team you'd be joining (myself and one other person) are pretty cool guys as well. While the department is responsible for "internal IT", honestly most users are pretty technologically sound and this really wouldn't be your job anyway. Pretty good mix of technologies. We have System Center deployed and handling most of deployments/updates with little to no input from you, the Senior, personally, and our environment is completely set up for Powershell remoting so if you need to edit the hosts file of 3 departments at the same time you can do that with almost no headache. I'm also under the understanding that the insurance is "spectacular", but I did hear this from our insurance rep so take it with a grain of salt. You'd have a pretty good laptop (almost all of our corporate machines run on 256GB SSDs, 16GB RAM, etc), and 2x monitors is standard if you care about that sort of thing. I'll be personally trying to ensure that the new Senior inherits the previous Senior's monitors which are ridiculous dual 26" monitors or whatever.

The bad:
Not a lot of documentation on the App. There's definitely that "wall" that the programmers chuck a new version over and then it becomes our problem. Lead Software Engineer at one point essentially plugged a router into his machine and then called desktop support wondering why he couldn't get to internal sites. Frequent and completely sincere/unapologetic "Works on my box" from programmers. Legacy technology in use everywhere that makes no sense and refuses to cooperate with things like UNC paths, has hardcoded character limits for certain parameters, etc. I understand some people have issues with the higher-ups being very, very resistant to change. Database structure makes almost no sense and the DBA team is full of people who have only ever worked here and have no sane frame of reference. Weekly deployments at 11pm, but these usually run pretty smoothly and we split them up based on who is on-call. No configuration management tools (puppet, chef, etc), so we manage about 100ish production servers with various scripts that sometimes make no sense.

Contact: You can reply to the Indeed posting Here, or you can e-mail your resume to me at stmarier at gmail, if I think you're a good fit I'll forward your information to my supervisor who is the one you would be replacing. I'm not HR or a hiring manager (actually, I'm the junior you'd be responsible for), but I can get your resume to the right people. Feel free to e-mail me with any questions at the previously listed address, and the position is most likely (90%+ sure on this) not open to remote.

edit: I should note, we may have another opening for a more junior or mid level candidate shortly. Our deparment has gone from 5 people to 2 people over the course of the last 4 months - obviously they want to get that Senior spot filled first but I imagine they will wanting to fill those other slots at some point. If you're interested in a Jr or Mid level position feel free to e-mail me, maybe we can work something out. There's no official posting for it yet, however.

12 rats tied together fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Aug 20, 2014

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

The company I work for is hiring a Senior DevOps person in Chicago, IL. The posting is here.

e: Now with working link

The interview process is a hangup for some people. There's a brief phone call with an internal recruiter who is a super nice dude, followed by a short FizzBuzz-style quiz (I think it's 4 questions?) which you have some amount of time to finish and email back. If that goes well you'll be invited to do a small project relevant to the position and then show it off/talk about it over Google Hangouts. There's a blog article about the hangouts interview here.

As with all potential employers I'd recommend checking out the company glassdoor, where you'll find a good mix of feedback from people who really liked the hangouts interview and others who thought it was insulting and a waste of their time. I don't have PMs but I can attempt to answer any questions you might have at stmarier at gmail dot com as well.

From what I understand, we are looking for someone who is particularly well versed in CI/CD systems for this role so if that's you, I would absolutely encourage you to apply even if you might not meet the other qualifications on the posting.

12 rats tied together fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Nov 5, 2015

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

The company I work for, also in Chicago still has an opening for a Senior DevOps Engineer. From what I understand, we're looking to get this position filled as soon as possible and are especially interested in candidates with a background in high-performance web applications or CI/CD pipelines. I would encourage you to apply even if you don't meet any of the other qualifications but have particular strengths in either of those two domains.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have about the posting via email: stmarier at gmail.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Reiz posted:

The company I work for, also in Chicago still has an opening for a Senior DevOps Engineer. From what I understand, we're looking to get this position filled as soon as possible and are especially interested in candidates with a background in high-performance web applications or CI/CD pipelines. I would encourage you to apply even if you don't meet any of the other qualifications but have particular strengths in either of those two domains.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have about the posting via email: stmarier at gmail.

The company I work for, still in Chicago, has updated the posting to reflect that they are now looking for DevOps Engineers (All Levels). Like before, don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions about the posting.