Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Job posting

Location: Menlo Park, CA (Silicon Valley); possibly Seattle (or maaaaaybe London) for exceptional candidate with remote work experience. We do relo.

Who we are: Facebook. Specifically, Facebook Security Infrastructure.

What I need: 2-3 senior Android or iOS developers to build mobile application security infrastructure for the most used (and attacked) applications in the world.

Requirements/desiderata:
  • Experience working with large development teams on large code bases. You will get lost in the code, you need to be able to find your way out.
  • Deep systems-level understanding of your system of choice. You need to know what happens under the lifecycle APIs, and the difference between what the docs say and what really happens at the edge cases. (Especially on Android, where OS version matters shoooot meeeee.)
  • At the very least a strong interest in security: data protection, threat modeling, that sort of thing. You don't need to be an expert with years professional security experience, but you should be able to follow along with a BlackHat talk about mobile.
  • Good understanding of developer ergonomics. Using new security infrastructure should be easier than using the stuff we want to replace, not the opposite.
  • Interpersonal/organization-shifting abilities. Some of our work will require convincing developers to do things differently, and security is a cross-functional thing.
  • Curious and exploratory: we're going to have to find new threats, and new ways of finding threats, and look at ways to immunize against them.

Why you should work here:
  • Incredible impact. Literally improving the security and privacy of a billion people.
  • Very good comp and benefits. All the usual silicon valley food and laundry and whatnot, plus things like 4 months parental leave. Annual equity refreshers.
  • Possibly-surprising amount of investment in developing people's careers and abilities. Lots of structured stuff, and managers are evaluated on it. We have engineering bands that are identical in comp to our VPs.
  • Internal transparency is very high, you'll get to see what everyone is doing and politely contribute.
  • Huge inter-team mobility within engineering. Many people change teams every year. I've worked on mobile apps, VR, AI, and now security.
  • Honestly, I'm a really good manager. Happy to connect people with former reports during the interview process.

Why you might not want to work here:
  • It's not a small company, so if you want to be in a tight-knit group of 20 you'll find it at the meta-team level but not the whole company obviously.
  • Living in Silicon Valley has its downsides; the commute from SF is sort of annoying.
  • People will bother you about name policy, objectionable content, hoaxes, locked accounts, etc.
  • Post-IPO, so you probably won't make 8 figgies over your initial vest.

Interested? Send me a PM. I'm the hiring manager, happy to have a chat about the position. Very grateful for leads too. If referral bonuses are mod-approved, I'll pay $500 out of pocket for a candidate we hire. If not then I will just think very highly of you.

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Dec 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hello! I work at a well-funded, customer-having 50-person company that builds business tools with AI. We're hiring a lot of people over the next year, and I thought I'd spread the word here.

The division I run is looking for:

Software developers: systems/platform (logic around our AI core, data processing, etc.) , front-end (web interfaces), infrastructure (provisioning, monitoring, security, etc)

Software managers: this shouldn't be your first management position. Can also hybridize with IC/coding work in the right circumstances.

Product managers: market analysis, running scrums, designing and communicating product processes, coordination of roadmaps with client teams and sales

UX designers and researchers: we are building interfaces for our tools, and researching how UX affects things like trust, and helps non-expert people understand biases, probabilistic outcomes, and other less-common aspects of our system

Machine learning scientists (relevant masters strongly preferred, but I'd let you make a case if you got relevant experience through another path): research and productization of different AI techniques. We expect to publish ~5 papers this year from a team of 10 people. You should know the math but also how to code it up.

Other than as indicated for the MLS position, I don't care if you have a degree or not, and I don't care if you know the technology we use (python, scala, JS, React, scikit, some Rust likely). We're hiring at various levels of seniority in the different positions. For intermediate and senior people we will relo, and we handle visas. We're located in Toronto. No remote work, sorry.

I'm 25 years into my software career and have led products with literal billions of users. This is the most supportive and collaborative culture I've ever experienced, and I'm excited to bring more people into it and help them grow while they help us be more like the company we aspire to be.

Hit me with a PM if you want to know more.

e: machine learning, not machine language. don't worry, I don't do the research.

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jan 10, 2019

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’m going to need a software developer focused on security soon. Hit me if that’s you.

- I’d be your boss’ boss, and you’ll never have as supportive a management chain as this one. I’m not joking even a bit.
- you need to make good decisions about tooling vs process vs just writing the diffs and tests yourself
- someone else handles all the certification/audit poo poo, you just deal with real problems and getting ahead of them
- our office is attached to a downtown subway station (line 1, west line best line)
- other software developers want to do a good job and will thank you for helping them not gently caress up
- when you tell a PM they shouldn’t ship because of a security issue, they listen
- strong privacy and tech ethics values, and we spend to honour them
- training? conferences? working from Tbilisi for two weeks because you’ve never been there (actual example)? tell your boss how it makes sense and sure. you’re an adult
- more than a year of runway
- actual paying customers
- you should be able to tell me about how you fixed a security fuckup and made sure it stayed fixed
- we have fired recruiting agencies for bringing us only white dudes for leadership and tech positions
- you don’t need to know about AI, but you’ll sure learn about it
- talking to people (internal mostly) is part of the job. you can get coached to gently caress and back, but you can’t dodge it

You’re moving to Toronto, or convincing me that you can excel spectacularly being here 1/3 weeks.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

This is not in the right format, but I’m on a touchscreen and just want to get it posted.

Toronto: eng mgr, sr eng, IT generalist, dir product mgmt, dir design. relo/visa for everything but the IT position because frankly that pool looks pretty strong local

- engineering manager, probably 2-4 years experience in management and a moderately-distinguished career as a developer before that. team of 5 growing to 8 over the next 6 months. help us design our org and processes, grow and recruit amazing developers, learn a ton about cloud and AI and privacy and who knows what else. ideally you’ve been part of a team evolving tools and practices and strategies, but if not this is your chance to ride that ride. you take pride in helping your reports and colleagues succeed, and see management as a way to use your coaching skills and empathy to help people accomplish things that surprise them.

- senior engineer, probably 5-8 years of experience building systems with a lot of moving parts. you have worked in multiple environments with different tools and processes, and you can apply your systems design experience in a stack that’s new to you. you like helping other engineers grow, and other teams succeed, and customers rejoice. you can quickly figure out which corners can be cut, and which aspects are totally non-negotiable. if you have experience helping teams build code and tools and practices to maintain a high bar of security and privacy, I’m especially interested.

- IT generalist. get our conference room displays on a vlan so I can stop ranting about it, script tools for HR and business processes, figure out how to structure our VPN into different AWS infrastructure, 802.11x, backups?, SSO and centralized identity, multipath upstream internet because a month ago I had half my division tethered to my phone and tablet while Rogers pulled their finger out, designing a great remote meeting experience, provisioning laptops in a way that doesn’t involve my VP Engineering having to click through MacOS installers, rolling out and integrating tools for performance reviews and cataloguing internal video libraries and other stuff you’ll come up with and get permission and budget to do because the whole point is for you to use your judgment to make poo poo better. we’re a fair ways from this being a team lead role, but there may well be contractors to wrangle. don’t know how to do all that stuff but you think you can pick it up? I’m interested.

- directors of product management and design. you probably know what those jobs are if you’re in the market. teams of 3-5, growing to ~8 each over the next yearish. substantial strategic impact. very strong teams who you will grow and etc etc

all these positions report up into me, which could be a plus or a minus I guess

best company culture you’ve ever worked in by a long shot, multi-year runway, customer revenue (but pre-profit and pre-PMF, so there is certainly risk). entirely reasonable comp, but we’re not going to out-bid Google. training budget of “make a good case”. we’ve fired recruiting agencies for bringing us only white dudes. we check salaries against market twice a year, independent of merit/promotion raises, because you shouldn’t have to take a new job to keep up with the market price for your skills. very strong privacy and technology ethics values, which really do shape our product and operations and spending. don’t care if you have a degree for any of this (I don’t), as long as you can do the work.

we’re attached to a subway station (St Patrick)! we have excellent stickers! you will genuinely like your coworkers!

currently we are 3/82 goons, which doesn’t seem like enough

all positions are in Toronto. I could be convinced to do redo/visa for any of them but the IT position.

E: oh! contact is PM, or you can dox me through my sloppy posting and send email

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Sep 21, 2019

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

KillHour posted:

I always wondered what you did. I'm not in the market unless you're looking for a CISO/CTO, but we should get together for a drink considering you're right across the border.

You’d have to defeat me in single combat to be CTO, and I would rather you didn’t. I think we’re probably 9-12 months from an interesting CISO position, but I’ll probably post back here when I do!

A drink would be great. Ping me when you might be in town!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Total comp? Nah.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

MF_James posted:

This sure as hell sounds like a drug smuggling operation to me.

Whoa whoa whoa, let’s not jump to conclusions here.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

H110Hawk posted:

Isn't that only if the USA Federal taxes are higher than the taxes paid in your local country which is basically impossible to do because the USA has basically no taxes?

The US has a tax treaty with basically every country in the world, as well, which prevents double taxation. If you aren’t living in an offshore tax haven, it’s a paperwork burden but not a financial one.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

People mostly give up their citizenship because the foreign-earned exemption only applies to earned income, and not passive income like investments. If your income is all earned, then the point of the tax treaties is to avoid being taxed disjointly in both places on the same income. You may pay both governments, but it shouldn’t total more than what you would have paid if being taxed by just the government with the highest tax rate. The summary you link basically describes this.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jeoh posted:

I mean it makes sense? If you hire someone at a lower level you get to pay them less, and if you do end up promoting them the next cycle they'll be happy in the same way drug addicts are happy when they get their second shot.

It’s way easier to fix someone being underleveled than someone being overleveled, once they’re hired.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

:megadeath::rock::eng101:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hadlock posted:

Oh I forgot, we pay at/above market rate, and are not related to crypto in any way

When you say “market rate”, do you mean 50th percentile salary?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, the right question for that sort of job, speaking as someone who has set salary bands at previous companies, is “how much does it cost us if they’re bad at their job?”

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

you’re every fifth hacker news poster

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Lockback posted:

Staff Engineer/Architect implies depth, not breadth. If I saw those titles I'd expect a certain amount of deep understanding of your top skills.

There are a bunch of ways you can be staff+. I highly recommend Will Larson’s writing on the topic, but the Solver and Right Hand archetypes can be more broad than deep: https://staffeng.com/guides/staff-archetypes

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

That would be my guess too. Likely a random HR person just knows that finance/legal gave them that list of states.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The Fool posted:

I want to apologize to everyone that reached out to me on this job opening. I got really frustrated by some internal politics and the end result is that all of the new positions were filled by people the manager new from his old place.

So you’re saying that you’re open to new opportunities?