Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
My Experience
+ 3 years on-site network/hardware support on a domain
* network troubleshooting
* hardware repair
* OS support
* data recovery, security and disposal
* OS and hardware migration
* full site migration
+ BAs in Criminal Justice and Anthropology
What I'm Looking For: Something like my old job
What I'm Not Looking For: Programming, Web Development
Where I Live: Hilliard, FL
Where I'm Looking: The general Jacksonville area.
When I Can Start: Any time after October 20th
Can be reached via email at: watkins (dot) jr (at) gmail (dot) com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Bardlebee posted:

Yes, it does take some extra knowledge, but the skills needed pales in comparison to something like Network Design, Network Administration, or Programming. Having that said, 8 bucks an hour is still a crime. Though I wouldn't be shocked by :10bux: an hour.

It also does not help that temp agencies have flooded the market either. You cannot do a search on a job board these days without getting 20 different temp agencies trying to get your resume. Most of these either don't exist or will gleefully accept whoever will take the lowest wage.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

chizad posted:

I can't remember what was predicted for 2011, but I did notice something back in late 2009/early 2010 when I was looking for my current job. Postings for entry level helpdesk/desktop support positions weren't too hard to find, and neither were postings for senior level/management positions, but postings for mid-level positions were few and far between.

That's more the problem than anything else. Guys with too much experience to be considered 'Entry Level' but not enough to be 'Management' or 'Senior Level' are kinda left in the lurch.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
My Experience: About 4-5 years of small/mid office network wrangling, disaster recovery (help, I spilled a Venti Caramel Frappachino in my computer!), weird setup replacement (You're replacing a 15 year old Packard Bell, it needs to splice into this GPS, this car battery, and THIS antenna.) and general tech support (Sir, perhaps if the lights aren't coming on in your office, you should CALL the physical plant instead of trying to email them.) Two years of that was spent working in a repair shop dealing with all the fun and exciting ways middle class America can obliterate expensive electronics, on site calls for network setup and virus removal and evading small, yappy dogs.

What I'm Looking For: Give me a nice, stable office environment where I can get to know folks and help fix their problems and I'm happy. I love figuring out why computers stop working and reversing that. I'm interested in moving more into the networking side of things but right now I'm very much a hardware and virus removal guy.

What I'm Not Looking For: Pure call center work where I don't actually get to get my mitts on a machine and actively FIX it.

Where I Live: Dallas, TX (more accurately, Far North Dallas)

Where I'm Looking: Dallas, I just moved here.

When Can I Start: PDQ

Can Be Reached At: watkins . jr @ gmail . com