Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm part of a group at a publicly traded company in the Chicago Loop area, and we're hiring over a dozen people in entry to mid level Software Engineering. Group is part of a huge multinational corporation, but the group itself started recently and is in the process of scaling up quickly. The core objective of the group is research and development of a next-generation, real-time, big data processing platform for a specific, well-known industry (NDA applies for details, but I can say that domain knowledge is not a substantial requirement).

Requirements
Intermediate to expert core Java
Intermediate to expert computer science skills (Big O, concurrency, data structures, graph theory)
Intermediate software engineering skills (ability to design simple but non-trivial distributed system, learning new APIs quickly, pattern/anti-pattern knowledge)
Intermediate Linux command line skills
Ability to get things done - most weeks will be fairly relaxed, but a couple of weeks out of every few months are crunch time, and working nights and weekends is not unheard of because deadlines are real deadlines with real consequences for failure.

Big pluses
Experience with various AWS products
Experience with Hadoop, Spring, Storm, Camel
Experience with RESTful interfaces
Experience with Agile methodoligies

Nice to have
Experience with Python, shell scripting, J2EE, Puppet, Ruby, JQuery/Javascript, and Clojure.
Experience with Mercurial and SVN

Positive notes
Benefits are extremely good. Working from home when you feel like it is very common. 401k match is ridiculous, and there is also stock sharing with match. Full medical/dental/vision benefits at a very low cost. ~30 paid days off per year to start. Unfiltered, true 100Mbit internet, top of the line laptop (Windows or Apple) with fancy case, multiple 24" monitors with personal Linux server, high-end office chairs, and free pens, paper, and sticky notes (within reason). All-expenses-paid parties at nice places are a regular occurrence after deadlines.

There are enormous opportunities for visionaries with the ability to implement their vision to showcase their ideas. We love people who get us patents.

Mentors are assigned, and multiple, well-defined career paths are detailed.

Negative notes
Office is open-plan style.

You will get more than enough rope to hang yourself with if you're looking for it. That is, it's easy to make decisions outside of your intended scope of responsibilities, but if your decisions go poorly, things will not end well.

Contact
PM resume or questions to me. I am not HR, a recruiter, or an officer of the company, but interviewing and hiring decisions are part of my responsibilities. I have no financial incentive to get you hired. The idea is that I will do a casual and unofficial ~30-minute conversation and coding phone screen before getting you into the official hiring process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

kloa posted:

Do you want a jack-of-all-trades that never goes deep, or a savant?

They need a sales guy who doesn't suck rear end at talking about technical matters and who knows or can be taught about the AWS technologies appropriate to common problems. When talking to clients, your trump card is "Let me take that up with our senior engineers and get back to you".

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Agrikk posted:

Speaking as a Senior TAM, We are looking for an individual who has broad range of skills in the DevOps world or Infrastructure world and who isn't afraid to say, "I don't know that now, but give me a day or two and I'll get back to you." and then goes and learns.

I may only have a vague sense of what all 50-ish services do, but if a customer expresses interest in something, it is my job to go and learn a ton about it so I am capable of teaching a 100-level or a 200-level seminar on the subject. If a technical issue comes up, it is my job to understand what the issue is so I can then represent the issue to the service teams and help them troubleshoot it.

This is absolutely not a sales role, and if all I do is "take that up with our senior engineer" I'm failing at TAM. :)

The TAM exists as a liaison between the customer and AWS, representing AWS to the customer and representing the customer to AWS. As such, the TAM needs to be able to understand what the customer is trying to accomplish and be able to understand how to best use the various AWS services to help them succeed. When the customer has a problem, the TAM kicks in doors on their behalf. If AWS launches something or is looking for feedback from customers, the TAM takes that message to their customers.

I have a portfolio of customers, and it is my job to provide customized support for them, understanding their environments as if I were one of their architects.

OK, sure, "not a sales role" but involves telling customers what technologies to use that just happen to cost the customer money. I work with an AWS TAM for my organization, and I regularly find them useless because we thoroughly understand the 100 and 200 level stuff, but need a graduate level technical dive into optimizing six nine's of uptime architecture. The TAM being entirely tapped out for knowledge or otherwise telling us they have no solution to our problems is a regular experience for me. We throw literal millions at AWS every year, so my experience may be significantly different than the usual TAM client, if the usual client is one who is just starting to use AWS.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tab8715 posted:

A TAM's will have the 100-200 level Knowledge but should also know where to go next for technical resources when he's expended.

Sounds like you need a new TAM :downs:

In all fairness, what we need is above and beyond the call of any free support that AWS would (or should) offer through a TAM or otherwise. We're bumping up against current limitations of many AWS products and getting responses back that the features we want aren't yet implemented.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Peristalsis posted:

Madison, WI. I'll post the job ad here once it's finalized and published. Very roughly, the position consists of maintenance and development of a couple of pretty mundane web apps built in support of the center's research mission. There could be other new apps and/or more interesting work in the future, but there are no particular guarantees. There are two of us working as developers - me and the guy we need to replace (he's moving out of state). Neither of us knew Ruby or Rails when we got here, and you can see our code getting more sophisticated as it goes along. However, this means that there's a good bit of old code in our apps that should be cleaned up or just re-written.

You could start a student dev team to take over the other developer's responsibilities, thereby saving a bunch of money because they'll do work studies for $10/hr, and giving yourself a pool of people that reduce your number of failure points. They won't help much with cleaning up code though, sort of the opposite, but you can segue into a lead/managerial role by doing this, and over time with mentoring, you'll have decent code.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TopherCStone posted:

This is the next step for startups isn't it? It started with free soda, then beer, and soon there will be little medicine cabinets packed with modafinil all throughout the open office environment.

Lame sauce, I'm launching a startup that will operate on pure meth over international waters.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Colonial Air Force posted:

Is it worth posting an unpaid internship position in here? I imagine most of us are experienced already and looking for paid work, but if not I have an opening at the ski resort I work for.

For an unpaid internship in the wide ranging branches of IT, you're generally looking at bottom of the barrel college students, people who love ski resorts, or people with literally no education or training.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tab8715 posted:

What is the Fast Track / On-boarding Crew?

Straight shooters with upper management written all over them.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Beemo posted:

No limit on wage.

Fantastic. I will happily relocate myself within travelling distance. My wage requirements are a mere 5,000,000 GBP/year.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Plinkey posted:

TS SCI Cleared.

I've been told this means you get free blowjobs from multiple government contractors as part of a competitive bidding process for your skills, is that not the case?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

FileNotFound posted:

In short - we are not an IT firm. We are a financial firm with a large IT focus. Degree requirements are tied to titles - our lowest hiring title and pay scale is tied to a Bachelors/Masters. (Although a Masters + 1/2 years will get you a higher title)

It's not about "you" or your ability to do the job - it's about bringing in someone with no degree into a position and title that is also held by people who have graduated with a masters degree doesn't sit well with upper management and HR. Given that over a quarter of the team does in fact have a masters degree and everyone else has a bachelors it's pretty tough to make a case for looking past your lack of a degree.

Ah, the traditional finance IT model where you get all the downsides of working in finance while watching the finance dudes take home 7 figure bonuses?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

FileNotFound posted:

What's the downside again if you can actually get a job here? Cause it's not the pay.....

You sure about that? Pay better be at least 400k total comp for a masters and targeted tech experience to hit the ground running.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

H110Hawk posted:

This may also come from the type of salaries hedge funds offer people to basically own them for a few years, where 200k base and a 100% as-guaranteed-as-they-get bonus are the norm, assuming you want to work every waking hour 6 days a week. But hey, the also cover a huge % of your living expenses too. It's big law salaries for IT nerds, and just like big law, your degree matters.

Don't forget on-call for London and Hong Kong markets!