Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Sure, what the heck. I'm currently employed, but given how slow things have been and the fact that people have been getting laid off recently, I'm not sure how secure my job is. I also got kinda hosed on moving to a potentially more secure position lately, so I'm kind of bitter about that too.

My experience: Three years of tier-two support, about five of Windows admin/desktop support. Hold MCP, working towards MCSA currently.
What I'm looking for: Windows administration
What I'm NOT looking for: Sales, QA, Entry-level help desk
Where I live: Tacoma, WA
Where I'm looking: Seattle-Tacoma area, Portland OR
When I can start: Given the right opportunity, immediately (w/ two weeks notice at my current job)
Requirements: Health insurance, full time.
Can be reached via: PM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Rastor posted:

:google: job openings update:

I edited the list of locations.
Summary: Pittsburgh and New York now filled, added Seattle/Kirkland and The Dalles, OR.

Sent you an email.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

sanchez posted:

I got the first one I applied for. (thanks goons)

Anyone in this thread who is in a different part of the US and looking for work should seriously consider relocating.

I have a buddy from college (MIS degree) in the DC area, not sure what his situation is. I'll send him your info if that's ok.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Looking for new job again!

My experience: Three years of tier-two support, about five of Windows admin/desktop support. About halfway to a MCSA currently, which I plan to upgrade to a 2008 cert.

What I'm looking for: Windows administration

What I'm NOT looking for: Sales, QA, Entry-level help desk

Where I live: Tacoma, WA

Where I'm looking: Portland, OR; Tacoma, WA; Seattle, WA in order of preference

When I can start: Immediately plus two weeks notice.

Requirements: Health insurance, full time.

Can be reached via: PM, username at gmail.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Duck996S posted:

Emailed you.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

CaladSigilon posted:

Some basic rules off of the top of my head from someone who has done some contract work, but not a whole ton. Others may know better; listen to them.

1. Your asking salary should be significantly higher than what you would ask as an employee. Remember, you are paying 2x the taxes, plus you should charge more for instability.
2. You may need to hire an accountant to help you with your taxes. Contractor taxes can get really messy, really quickly.
3. Don't be afraid to walk away from a contract if it's not paying well enough, if you have a better offer, if it's incredibly miserable, etc. It's not like leaving an employment.
4. You may or may not need (or want) to carry some insurance to protect you from liability.
5. You're going to want to put a rather significant amount into savings as a cushion for being between contracts. The "rainy day" fund for an employee might only be a month or two of salary. Contractors might want to bank half a year or more.

Most of this assumes that it's a 1099 contract. If you're working on a W2 basis taxes and poo poo are way easier to manage.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

brc64 posted:

The job I'm currently talking a recruiter about is a W2 position. He explained that my paycheck would come from the recruitment company (is that normal?). He was also really vague about time off, saying that there is no paid time off, but I would still be able to schedule unpaid time off if I needed...

I understand that benefits in general are more complicated with contract work...

Yes, the payroll situation is normal. You are technically an employee of ShadyTech Contracting Co., contracted out to AwesomeCorp, the place where you actually go to work every day. So while you are doing work for the one company, your paycheck comes from the contracting firm, or from whoever does their payroll for them. The no PTO thing is pretty common, unfortunately. Find out what the company holidays are at the client, and make sure you're getting paid for those same holidays. Another thing I'd be sure to pay close attention to is OT policy.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Kumquat posted:

:words:

Greetings fellow Pensacola goon. I grew up there, but moved away almost eight years ago now. I don't think the job market there is so hot unfortunately, especially if you're looking for something part time. There's a large defense presence in the area, so maybe you could leverage your service experience to find something along those lines. I assume you're going to be at UWF? Go visit the folks at career services in building 19 over by the commons, they should be able to help you out with something. They should have listings for student jobs or stuff with local companies for people in your position. Best of luck and I hope you're not stuck in Pensacola for any longer than you have to be.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

brc64 posted:

I grew up in Evansville, so yeah, I'm pretty familiar with how middle of nowhwere you are.

Followup question to my questions from earlier:
The position I interviewed for today is a 3-6 month (this is vague... how can it be vague?) contract (W2, through an IT staffing firm) position. I am told that it is to backfill a position where somebody was promoted internally, so there is a good chance that it could turn into a full time job at the end of the contract when they realize how awesome I am.

Contract rate of pay is $38/hr. I assume if I am "converted", I would end up negotiating a salary or rate with the company directly, and it will not be nearly as high as the contract rate. Is there any rule of thumb on what I could potentially expect to get out of that? I'm trying to evaluate potential long term options, and since this is a fairly short term contract, it makes me a little uneasy.

I don't really have a good answer on why durations vary like that, especially when there's a good chance of converting at the end. My experience with getting converted was actually the opposite; I actually got a pretty healthy pay increase and much better benefits after becoming a permanent employee. YMMV though.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Kumquat posted:

I guess Pensacola is just where dreams come to die.

I am a Pensacola native, and this is 100% truth. It is a terrible terrible place and you would do well to get the hell out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
My company is hiring! Come and work with us!

Who are we?
We are an IT consulting firm, and we work primarily in implementations of HP's and BMC's business applications. I'd prefer not to name names here, but I'll be happy to in a less public forum. Generally our customers either don't have the manpower or the expertise to build these systems out themselves, so they hire us to do it for them. The result of this is that we do all the designing and building of systems, and leave the maintenance and support to the customer after we're done (i.e. we do the fun stuff, they do the boring stuff).

Where are we?
Anywhere you want to be! The company is based in northern New Jersey, but almost all of our employees are elsewhere. I work remotely full time, aside from occasional client site visits (about once a month on average). Most of us are in the US, but we have at least a few people from Canada as well. No one else from out of the country that I'm aware of, but I know there's a possibility of some overseas work in the future.

What are we looking for?
I'm not very involved with the BMC side of the house, but for HP we are mostly looking for Server Automation, Operations Orchestration and Cloud Services Automation people. Network Automation and UCMDB would be great to have also, along with experience with vmware and basic Windows/Linux administration skills. A programming background is very helpful, but not required by any means.

How do I apply?
PM or email; username at gmail.

Anything else I should know?
My company's been around for about 20 years or so, and we're currently growing pretty quickly. My manager's been with the company for coming on two years, and our team has grown from about seven people to over 20 in that time. There are plenty of opportunities for us out there, so our manpower is the limiting factor. Pay's good, benefits are good, and we're just a pretty good bunch of people in general. Also, I am not the hiring manager, but I can help you get in touch with them. Full disclosure: if you accept an offer and stick around for however long it is, I would get a referral bonus.