Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
My Situation: Stuck in a city where having internet means you're weird, no cash to relocate.

My experience: 5+ years various development work with Perl, PHP on websites and whatever project comes to my head, when bored i do stuff like this: http://dwarvis.googlecode.com/ ; 5+ years of system administrator ; 3+ years of customer support in various MMOs
What I'm looking for: Any kind of telecommute job with at least regular pay
Where I live: Stralsund, Germany
Where I'm looking: Internet
When I can start: Anytime
Requirements: Telecommute
Can be reached via: walde.christian@googlemail.com, IM data in profile

Right now I'm just looking for any kind of solid IT job. I'm not looking for high pay, but simply regular since I'm pretty comfortable living on a shoestring budget anyhow.

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Mar 4, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Yeah, gotta agree with that. I originally ignored it because of the "US only" thing, but upon deeper reading it looks like you got half a pyramid scheme there.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

To help people out a bit, a post that is neither "Looking" nor "Offering".

First a bit of context: I'm a Perl programmer who's location-bound to a place that's almost in russia as far as local technology goes. As such my only way to look for employment that actually makes use of my skills is to go online.

After going through a whole tone of websites, i found odesk.com, which is pretty much a mediator interface between freelancers and people looking to outsource. They do take a 10% cut of the pay and in order to break into getting jobs you'll need to start with a low rate.

However, on the upside, I've been doing this since roughly April this year and now I'm regularly getting new job offers, was able to steadily raise my rate and pay my bills easily with the work I've been doing for clients there. My profile to demonstrate the kind of income (unlinked in case anyone thinks i'm trying to spam): http://www.odesk.com/users/~~47216dcde70a9bcd

If you're in a similar situation as me or just plain desperate enough to try anything, it might be worth it for you. :)

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

royallthefourth posted:

Do you make your living from ODesk alone? If so, how long did it take you to get to that point?

How long did it take before you got your first decent paying project?

musclecoder posted:

I had these same questions. I was just laid off and I'm starting my own software company, but in the meanwhile I want to pick up some side jobs to keep money coming in. I created an oDesk profile this morning after I saw your post, set my per hour amount at way less than I normally make, so we'll see how it goes.

Any specific suggestions on how to get work when you don't have any reviews/ratings/previous work on the site?

Without banging my drum too much: Pretty much every Perl project i got was amazingly lovely before i got it. Created by literally the worst coders i can imagine. I spend more time cleaning up old lovely code than actually implementing new things.

Now: Yeah, i make my living from oDesk.

I registered around the 10th of March this year, and did some tests. Tests are really important, as they're one of the first criteria by which buyers looking for providers will sort. My Perl test (see my profile above), going by feedback from buyers on my profile, has so far resulted in the most offers.

It took me about two weeks to land the first few gigs by actually applying to jobs myself. The important part there was that i made sure to get 5.0 ratings by doing my best at a retardedly low price. Once i had a few ratings, others became interested in me, resulting in a buyer contacting me one month after i registered. Starting from there i began having a steady income and got more smaller jobs. In June then i got a bigger one with which i could supplant the first long term project. It ended after a month, but in that time i had been contacted by another interested party for whom i'm still working steadily. Then i picked up another long term in August. As such, right now, i have three fully active projects that will last me at least until end of the year and i've steadily been getting contacts.

Whenever i picked up a new job i raised my rate a bit, and i plan to lower it again when i run out of stuff to do. That happenening is very unlikely at this point.

All in all i had 31 condidacies since March, some started by me, most by buyers. Out of them 10 resulted in actual hires and 21 went nowhere.

Since March i made, after shunting through paypal and currency conversion, 7100 €, allowing me to live quite comfortably. I think, on average, i've worked 4 hours per day, including weekend. The pay comes in weekly for the week before and is stored in the oDesk system until you transfer it out. Each transfer costs a little (1$ for me), which is why i transfer only every two weeks.

Edit: Note, the amount up there is AFTER oDesk takes its 10%.

If there are any more questions, feel free to ask.

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Sep 26, 2009

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

First off, I'm in the rear end-end of germany as far as technology goes, so no, around here i won't even find entry-level jobs that don't utterly suck and require Java at the local polytech.

Also, the hours thing was a rough estimate and i overshot. Here's an exact timeline with more numbers:

http://drop.io/jzsdlci

Knock yourself out. :)

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

I'm certainly not trying to make it seem like a great job opportunity. In fact, i thought it was pretty clear that this is kinda a last-measure thing. As for the rate you mention, sure I'd like to be there sometime, but that requires either a great portfolio, which i lack; or great opportunities in the local area, which i lack too.

Taxes i did take into account. At my level of income, it costs me 100€ once to get the taxes done for a year and the taxes themselves are ~0.50 €. In other words neglible. I do also pay my own health insurance, but considering how most americans go without that either way, i didn't think it was worth mentioning and also rather obvious.

That aside this way to work offers me considerable benefits in time i have. I can work when i want and how much i want (as long as the client stays happy). Which i used massively the past year in order to get my weight under control as well as help my family out with moving. (Thus the low hours, they were certainly not because of lack of work. ;))

Alternatively I could also have worked 3-4 times as much, made as much more and passed on the life improvement + social stuff. With my current projects I'm literally busy at least until summer next year though, so i opted to go with fixing my life quality while maintaining a cashflow that sustains me well.

Edit: Forgot to mention: I don't feel attacked. I have a pretty dry tone which might convey that, but it isn't so. I'm actually happy to get more questions, so i can convey a more exact image. :)

On a completely different note: Since you seem to be successful with contracting, how about talking a bit about how you go about that, as far as acquiring contracts goes? :)

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Sep 27, 2009

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Who are we? Writers-Network.com

Where are we? telecommute

Job title: Freelance Perl Developer

About us: Writers-Network is a small-scale personal project of my client. It is in essence a DA clone for poetry.

Required Skills

Perl: 3 years or more
Web-Development-related skills: CSS, JS , SQL, all the standard stuff
Subversion: No need to be a genius, but committing often is a requirement.
Some Sys-Admin skills: WHM, phpMyAdmin, CPAN, cron, generic RH4E stuff
Good English

Job duties include

Tasks are the usual stuff on webapps: Fix poo poo that breaks, implement new features. In this case there's also: Fix stuff you notice while implementing stuff, write tests.

Here's the problem though: This is a small-scale job. Billing will be per hour via odesk.com, with a limit on hours per week. (Pay and hour limit to be discussed with my client.) Additionally, due to previous providers having created the software, it flat out sucks. It's not unsalvageable, but it throws warnings left and right during normal operation.

For the past half year or so, I've been the only developer on it, but due to other projects my available time has reduced a lot. As such I'm now helping the client find a coder to add on to the team. For now I'd mostly act as an advisor and guide through the code until I have more time available again.

Due to the lovely quality of the code as is, I want to make sure that anyone else working on this will not make it worse. As such I'm expecting interested people to send me some example of their code that they think is written in a good style along with some notes as to why they regard it as good style.

Job duties include

walde.christian@googlemail.com

I will inform people when I deny their app and those who I'm interested in I will expect to be available on Skype for a direct chat.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

PrinceofNessus posted:

Job Opening
Design and manage a pay site for the pin-up girl/fetish model Kira Von Sutra.
If this includes coding you should look into hiring two people, otherwise you're in for a world of incompetence on at least one front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

trephine posted:

Title: Software Engineer, paid intern to senior
Skills: writing software
You might want to mention what sort of languages or technologies one would be expected to work with, since I'm fairly sure you don't really want COBOL guys applying, even though they'd match your "requirements".