Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Model Camper
Feb 12, 2008

Just 'cause you got a rocking horse don't mean you can rock.
My experience: 3.5 years as Windows systems administrator for a ~110 person company spread across two offices. AD/Exchange administration, BES, corporate AV, Group Policy, yadda yadda yadda.
What I'm looking for: Low level IT management. I've spearheaded a bunch of projects with varying degrees of success, but I know that I'm best at dealing with people. Now I want to make the jump to managing them.
What I'm NOT looking for: Entry level help desk, datacenter positions
Where I live: Long Island
Where I'm looking: NYC
When I can start: Pretty much as soon as possible, given appropriate notice for my current employer
Requirements: Health insurance is a must, a little flexibility with afternoon hours. I'm a part time grad student at NYU so occasionally I have to leave early to get to class. I have no problem being on call and staying late other days to make it up.
Can be reached via: my username at gmail dot com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Model Camper
Feb 12, 2008

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Any financial support experience? And where do you live on the Island?

Unfortunately not, the company I work for is a small, niche marketing firm.

I live in Long Beach, a 55 minute ride on the LIRR to Penn. I'm the strange guy who actually likes the commute (I go into the city a lot in evenings and weekends, even on days I don't have class).

Model Camper
Feb 12, 2008

Jerk McJerkface posted:

If you haven't supported them, then it's hard to explain.

But imagine, you're a circus performer, and whlie walking a tightrope, you have to juggle running chainsaws. However, these chainsaws are also on fire, shoot laserbeam, and are electrified. You are also wearing a suit made out of bees.

Seriously, though, it's different than just keeping a network up and running. You have to maintain 100% uptime, at all times. Any outage can costs the traders hundreds of thousands of dollars. Any packet-loss is unacceptable, because Bloomberg, TT, Redi, and the other apps they use will freak out with just a couple missing packets.

It's pretty stressful, but you're also not constrained by the limits of a budget, they understand they need you, so they give you the freedom you need to install what you want. It has it's pros and cons, like everything else.

The reason it's required if you want a job supporting them is that if you don't understand the terminology they use, and the way they and markets work, it's very hard for you to manage applications that they need.

A lot of the people I went to undergrad with went this route straight out of school (I've got friends at Bloomberg) or the ERP consulting route (Accenture) and we've often talked about what we do day to day. They made a lot more money than I did taking my general sys admin job at a small company but now, a few years later, I've got a really broad set of skills and they're focused on one or two specific support tasks. Yeah, they still make more money (they also work in NYC and I work on LI right now) but I'm happy with the route I chose.

Not that there's anything wrong with it, of course. But like Jerk McJerkface said, it takes a certain kind of person and experience to work with finance people.