Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
I know that people post job openings on here from time to time, but they are pretty rare and not always in your part of the world. Wouldn't it be nice if you could just say "Hey, I'm looking for a job in Dallas, anybody have any leads?" and have the jobs come to you, instead? I agree!

So yeah, that's pretty much the gist of this thread. Call it Goon Networking, I don't know. It's no substitute for the old fashioned job search sites, but since it seems so many jobs are more about who you know, it can't hurt to just ask and see if anybody has any contacts you can use! Right?

:siren: Current Openings :siren:
For up-to-date listings, [edit by Internet Explorer: check the thread. The spreadsheet had a bunch of racist poo poo in it. This is why we can't have nice things.]

Edit: I've removed the old previous listings, which haven't been touched in probably a year or more. Stick with the goon-maintained spreadsheet or the newer posts in the thread for updates.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Oct 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Misogynist posted:

Any problem with us posting openings in here also?
Not at all! Post away!

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

To try to make it easier to find openings in a sea of requests, I'm going to try to keep the first post updated with any currently posted positions. Should the positions be filled, let me know and I'll edit out the link.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

bell biv devoe posted:

In that case we're looking to hire Windows Server (2k3-2k8) Admins that are WEB admins. IIS, Plesk, cPanel, Helm, and the various mail/dns/etc servers that come with the territory. I'll also consider you if you've got experience with Windows Server but have not worked in the hosting industry - but you'll need to prove a firm grasp of server administration. You will use very little LDAP/AD skills here.

We're in Houston, and typically offer relocation to the right candidates.

mike @ hostgator.com
aim: islangfiber

Thanks for the post.
An Austin posting, a Houston posting... come on Dallas, I know you're out there!

Post updated, thanks!

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Hey, no OP love for my job posting?
I was going to add yours, but your first post said your company wasn't looking yet, so I skipped it. Mistake corrected. :)

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

nene posted:

Just so happens the IT department I work in has a couple of openings in the UK right now.
Woohoo, Job Fair has gone international! And wow, 7 job postings already, awesome!

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Dr. Fred posted:

Thread stickied.
Wow, awesome! Bring on the jobs!

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Mr_PK posted:

Worth a shot! We need someone for our group
There's a Gilbert, AZ? Also, we now have 10 job postings!

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

feld posted:

They also use that performance based salary deal where you can ask for $100K, get paid $80K if you're under performance, get $100K if you meet your goals, and get $120K if you exceed it by a certain amount.
This is such a foreign concept to me that I'm having trouble believing it's even real. Do you have offices in Dallas? :v:

Honestly, I'm a little surprised (but completely happy!) that we're starting to get more job postings than requests, considering how few and far between job posting threads have been in the past. This is great! Again, please let me know if you find out if any of these positions have been filled so I can remove them from the first post.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I've already gotten a few emails about my companies job posting!

Just to add some more information for everyone:

1) We're not interested in remote agents. Unless you have lots of VOIP or Asterisk experience, we wouldn't really have any use for a remote agent for our financial clients. Sorry

2) We're really interested in someone with Adtran experience. it's not a requirement, but you have to know something about networking.
Since I have your job posting linked to this post, would you mind editing that post with this information?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Imaginos posted:

When can I start?
If you're already holding a clearance, nearly immediately. Otherwise, background investigation and drug testing will hold you up for a week or two.
So is this how civilians with no clearance get clearance? I've seen a lot of pretty nice looking jobs in the past that I've had to pass up because they were government work and required a certain clearance level.

Also, we're up to 15 jobs posted (would be 16 but one has been filled). Keep it up!

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

buildmyrigdotcom posted:

edited out by request
Finally an opening comes along in the general area I'm looking (still prefer Dallas, but I won't be picky), and it's programming! Bah! Added to the first post.

brc64 fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Aug 17, 2009

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I've made some tweaking to the OP, sorting the job postings by general location, putting the more popular sections at the top (there are a lot of openings in New York!) I may move it around some more, I'm not sure, but this should be a little bit easier to find something at a glance.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

nene posted:

It looks like we've filled both of the positions I posted about, so it's probably best to remove them from the OP
Done. I don't suppose you know if they were filled by a goon, do you? :)

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

strwrsxprt posted:

Thanks for doing all of SH/SC a great service by keeping the OP updated.
Glad to help! Still waiting for somebody to give me a job, though :(

kensei posted:

If a temporary position is okay to post, we are hiring in Beaverton, OR.
Added, but let me know if its filled so I can remove it.

finagler posted:

position closed, can you please delete?
Removed.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Sorry CA goons, I took a week off to get married. First post updated now. :)

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

niralisse posted:

What we're not looking for: People who hate church, Agile development practices, or macs.
So, goons?

Job added to the list, good luck!

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

mezoth posted:

The position was filled, please remove.
Done. Any idea if it was filled by a goon?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Do any of you use LinkedIn? I have a profile on there but I really don't "get" the site... it looks like it has the potential to be a really powerful networking tool, but it doesn't seem very well organized and I always get frustrated when I'm on it.

"Your profile is 55% complete you lazy bum"

Any tips? Are the job searches directly linked to your connections, meaning the more connections I make, the better search results I get? I really don't get it. Anyway, if anybody wants my profile send me an email or PM. I talk a lot of poo poo about my employer here so it's probably in my best interest to not publicly post who it is. :tinfoil:

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

HatfulOfHollow posted:

I had to look that one up on Google Maps because, seriously, King of Prussia? Real city, though. The Internet wouldn't lie to me.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Maneki Neko posted:

Can someone update the first post, our second position was filled, (non goon I'm guessing) but we still have a QA position open.
Done!

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Shaggar posted:

Who we are: SironaHealth, Inc.
Job Title: System Engineer II
Job Posting (Apply here): http://www.jobsinme.com/seek/resultdetail.aspx?jobnum=485553
I could totally do this job, if it weren't in Maine. It sounds like a lot of the same as what I do now, only more advanced.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Rapportus posted:

Welp I got my job at Trion thanks to SA, and so should you! (In fact, you'd be working with many goons!) We're a fresh game publisher start-up with over $100 million in funding. (You may have seen us at E3 this year with our first game, Heroes of Telara, which garnered many "Best Surprise of E3 2009" awards.) This job opportunity is kick-rear end. Every day is an intellectual challenge because you'll be working with some of the most experienced veterans from the gaming industry. (Even if you don't think you qualify, I'd suggest applying because we're looking for talent that can be molded into this role.)

Who we are: Trion World Network, Broadband Games Publisher
Location: Austin, Texas (Northwest Austin near 183 and Braker Ln)
Job Title: Technical Systems Analyst
Job Posting (Apply here): http://www.trionworld.com/career.php?jid=37
Job Description:
That sounds like a fun job, but man, Austin is a bit of a commute from Dallas...

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

demonhalo posted:

The position is located in our corporate offices in Dallas, TX. This position reports directly to the software development manager at Associa.
Finally a job showing up in Dallas, and it's programming. Bummer for me :(

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

ragzilla posted:

Looking to hire 3 people in the Indianapolis, IN area

Who we are: LightBound/IQuest, a local ISP/Telco.
Location: For this job, close to downtown Indianapolis about 2 blocks from the new stadium.
What we do: Colocation, Dedicated Internet Access, VoIP (we're an Indiana CLEC offering business services), and we're currently getting into managing other people's monitoring systems- which is the reason we're hiring on the new people.
When: Hiring immediately.

The position is for shift work, 4 days on, 4 days off, 12 hours on, 12 off. You'll be working with at least 1 other person (we already have 4 people working this rotation) + additional staff during daylight hours.

Requirements: Be familiar with how the Internet works, you don't need to know the nuts and bolts of BGP, OSPF, or the internals of the TCP or IP headers (although any and all of those are a plus), but at least be familiar with the difference between a router and a switch, TCP and UDP, and how many addresses there are on the internet- or at least have enough knowledge that you could figure it out if you sat down with a calculator. High school degree is fine, college degree not required as this is an entry level position.

If you're interested, submit a resume to employment at lightbound.net
(I'm not directly involved in hiring, but if you have any other questions my AIM/ICQ are in my profile)

Plus you'll get to sit at our fancy new desk:

vvv There's two more monitors above the camera. Sadly the 6 on the lower tier are windows workstations so I couldn't make them turn on/off at will with my handy matrix.sh script.
That sounds all kinds of awesome, although the work is a little over my head and the shifts would probably drive me crazy after about a month. Still, Indy is an awesome city and this looks like a cool job to have there.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I started to sit down and do some real job searching again last night, without too much success, but I only just started. I did, however, come across an interesting listing on dice. The company name was withheld, but claimed to be a Fortune 50 company (that's a 5-0) in the same city I'm currently residing in (outside Dallas).

They want 30 people for support technicians, sr support technicians, and team leads, paying between $15-30/hr depending on position and experience. That could be a pretty decent raise over what I'm making right now, and I totally meet every single qualification they're looking for. Unfortunately, the listing was posted about a month ago, and the start date listed was a couple weeks back, so I don't know if I have a shot. I'll keep my fingers crossed! :ohdear:

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

buildmyrigdotcom posted:

I don't have plat so I can't PM you. Could I get your email please? Thanks!

It's in the first post of the thread, but bradly.cochran@gmail.com.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Just a reminder to those of you posting jobs, if the job gets filled, please let me know so I can take it off the front page. I just went through and did a little bit of cleanup. It looks like I've also got a couple of bad links that I'll have to try to track down when I have more time (specifically the Michican/Jolva job and the Misc/Pr0k one). Is it possible to use the "find posts in this thread by this user" feature with a username instead of the user id? I tried http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3075135&username=Jolva, but that just takes me to the beginning of the thread.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I was browsing hotjobs yesterday and came across an add for lanwanprofessional.com, which promises to pay to get me CCIE certified so I make lots and lots of money. Seemed too good to be true, so I looked them up... sure enough, lots and lots of complaints. As near as I can tell from the comments, they do put you through a training course, but the bulk of the complaints are that the training is completely insufficient, and oh, they're not even Cisco partners.

:sigh: That's what I get for getting a glimmer of hope that I found something promising.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Akujunkan posted:

This is a contract job for one project, but if you’re great, we’ll probably have more projects.
Just to be clear, is this an Internet-based job (as in, candidates don't need to be from a specific location to apply)?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Weird, I had somehow managed to double-post my first post... in the same post. Not sure how long it's been like that, but it should be cleaned up now. I probably hit Edit twice in SALR or something. Good luck goons!

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

My brother-in-law was laid off on the 15th and now has 2 companies giving him competing offers. I've been trying to get a new job for 2 years and I've only ever gotten a single interview. My self-esteem is pretty low at the moment. Granted, his field and mine are not the same, and I really am happy for him, but gently caress, that hurts. I haven't gotten so much as a "we've received your resume and are reviewing it" since I moved to Texas and he gets multiple job offers within 7 days?

Sorry for the E/N, I'm just frustrated. Does anybody know if those "premium" services offered by most job search sites actually do any good, or if it's all just a scam? The more job searching sucks the life out of me, the more $60 for 3 months of "increased relevance" (whatever the gently caress that means) starts to sound appealing...

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

kensei posted:

Just to make sure the OP is updated:

I thought I had already edited that, huh. Oh well, fixed now.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

usbsnowcrash posted:

Who are we? CareerBuilder.com
While I guess I shouldn't be surprised that sites like this need employees as well, I'm a little bit amused at the idea of a job search site searching for jobs for itself. Added!

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Edit: OP up to date, good luck to all in 2010!

brc64 fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jan 18, 2010

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Can anybody with experience dealing with recruiters explain to me what to expect and/or watch out for? Somebody from TAC Worldwide contacted me earlier this week about a job posting, and after speaking with the lady on the phone I've found that this is potentially a phenomenal opportunity. The company the position is with is very well respected in the area and has amazing benefits*, and based on the description of the job it doesn't feel like one where I would be getting in too far over my head like most of the others I've been applying for anyway.

My biggest questions right now (which I haven't had a chance to ask yet) are, how does contract to hire typically work? If I work there for the 3 months and don't gently caress up, they hire me on full time? How do benefits work during this 3 month period? Are there none?

Here's what's happened so far:
Day 1: Recruiter emails me vague job info, asks for an updated copy of my resume and a few sentences explaining why I would be a good fit. I reply same day.
Day 2: Recruiter calls me, gives me the name of the company the position is with, goes back over the requirements, asks again about my experience, seems generally happy, asks me to confirm my contact info to pass on to the company.

I'm guessing the next step is the company reviewing my resume and then hopefully calling me, but I'm not sure, since I've never dealt with recruiters before. I also don't know how long this process typically takes, and waiting for a phone call that may never come is nerve wracking. Should I followup with the recruiter after a period of time if I don't hear anything, or just sit tight and wait?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

traveling midget posted:

Typically, contract to hire is a 3-month 'try before you buy' where you get paid hourly rather than salary, and usually don't get benefits. Recruiters I have spoken to brag about a 99.9% placement rate with contract to hire, and the line is that you won't not get hired unless you dramatically gently caress up. YMMV, of course.
This seems pretty in line with what the recruiter told me, since she specifically asked me what hourly rate I was looking for. Does this also mean that, should the company decide to hire me, I'll have to negotiate a pay rate all over again?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Maneki Neko posted:

They offered me a full time position with a 20-30% pay cut (saying that contractors generally make more), which I declined.
I wish I had known that, because I got all excited when the recruiter said the estimate I gave for how much I wanted to make sounded good. I guess I should have aimed higher.

musclecoder posted:

Also, *always* send your resume in PDF format. Refuse to send it in Word. Technical recruiters are known for altering resumes to fit the job description better. While PDF's can be edited, it's harder than a regular Word doc.
One of the questions the recruiter asked was if I had experience with Windows 2000 (my resume lists 2003 and 2008), and I said yes, so she asked if she could edit that part to say 2000-2008 instead. So I guess I can confirm this.

I'm a little bit more uneasy about this now, but it's still a job with a good company with good benefits if I land it full time, so I'm not going to lose all hope just yet. Hell, I haven't even spoken with anybody there yet, so all of this worrying may be for nothing, but at least now I have a better idea of what I'm getting into. Thanks for the replies.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Powercrazy posted:

We are currently looking for someone to fill a contract that will last 4-6 months and pay pretty decently, that will be mostly remote, with possibly some travel to the UK. (if you live in the UK the on-site stuff will be in London.)

What we need is someone who is super comfortable and familiar with Foundry Switches and Juniper Routers. We run an all Cisco shop in the US, so you will be our eyes for handling a few MPLS hand-offs and managing the foundry gear.

It will be basically name your own price, if you know your poo poo, you will be compensated accordingly. But again the stuff in the UK is purely Foundry, and that is what we need the expertise in. If you are also comfortable with NetApp equipment that is a plus.

So to summarize:
Network Engineer Contractor experience with Foundry & Juniper that will be mostly remote.
If you are comfortable and familiar with NetApp that is a plus.
If you live in the UK that can't hurt, if you don't its fine as pretty much everything will be remote.

If you think you fit the bill then send me an email at usedaegis at live dot com.
Given the format I use in the first post, what should I put for location for this? It sounds like the things being supported are in the UK, but the applicant doesn't specifically need to be? Should I just list the location as Misc/Internet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Puredeath posted:

My company will have a Junior Firewall Admin position opening in about a month.

What we are looking for:
Someone with a Clearance, at least a Secret, will require a TS eventually, some customer service skills, Networking skills, and prior knowledge of firewalls would be helpful

Certs: Sec + will be required eventually, CISSP preferred

Pay: Will be negotiated with hiring manager

Benefits: Usual, health, dental, 401k, 30 days PDO

Duration: On a 6 month extension, 5 year contract to be awarded after ( no guarantees, but its looking good)

Questions: PM me or email me at jfolivas at gmail dot com
What's the location?