Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Guess I'll try my luck in here, too:

Job Seeker

My Experience
A combined total of four and a half years in helpdesk and IT support roles, including field maintenance, customer service, hardware/software installation, and a small amount of network administration. All of this experience was in the higher education industry at one small college of 1200 students and a university with roughly 3500.

I currently possess a DoD Secret clearance and a Security+ certification. I'm also working on my CCNA (hoping to take it in October). In addition to these qualifications, I am also fluent in Spanish and proficient in Russian.

What I'm Looking For
Tier 2/3 helpdesk or a junior Systems/Network administrator role. I'm also open to field service.

What I'm Not Looking For
Call center/junior helpdesk.

Where I Live
Richmond, VA

Where I'm Looking
The Baltimore/DC metro area, however I'm open to staying in Richmond.

When I Can Start
Mid November. Finishing up some training in Missouri right now.

Requirements
401k match

Can Be Reached Via
PM for email address

psydude fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Aug 23, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

It's like Texas has become the center of the IT universe. Good God, the cost of living there is so inexpensive, too.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

kid sinister posted:

In my experience, recruiters are a complete waste of time. A lot of them advertise "positions" that don't actually exist just to keep their candidate folders full.

I had luck with recruiters that were specifically employed by the company that was looking to fill the position. The was another guy at a staffing agency that managed to land me a phone interview, but the job wasn't really what I was looking for.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

EvilMoFo posted:

My question was not about correcting them, it was if applying is even a viable idea. I mean, if they cannot proofread a job posting, it suggests that the place may not be all that great and that the people there are retarded.

I saw this a lot in job postings for large corporations where it's obvious that the listing was entered by someone from HR who had a terrible time understanding what the department wanted.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I said come in! posted:

I'm trying to get into something like Help Desk without a degree. I'm finding a lot of companies want someone with a Computer Science Degree, which seems like extreme over qualification for a position like this. I do know one person who does help desk without college education in this area (art degree) though, so it's certainly possible, I just need to know where to look.

gently caress, this kind of poo poo pisses me off. There's no guarantee that someone with a CS degree is good at being a computer janitor. Just as someone with a degree in aerospace engineering isn't necessarily good at being an aircraft mechanic. If you're looking for education to break into the field, your first stop should be here.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Soldat posted:

If you don't mind, what exactly/specifically do you mean by defense contractors?

Northrup, Lockheed, HP, General Dynamics, and countless smaller firms that all providing staffing either directly for the government in lieu of federal employees, or work on developing technology for use by the DoD, NSA, CIA, etc. Developers have a pretty easy time finding jobs in either part of the industry, whereas IT tends to be in much higher demand on the staffing side. Either way, with a TS/SCI you could potentially be looking at 60-80k/yr starting depending upon where you live.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

It'd matter for getting a security clearance or possibly being able to hold a position of public trust, as well.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Well, for those with basic computer skills there's always spots for Tier 1 Helpdesk positions on a 4 month contract.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Christobevii3 posted:

Not always true! I have a MIS degree and many years of experience and can't find anything where I live. I am trying to get a reply out of town to move and nobody will give you a time of day if you don't live in the city.

I live near DC, so I probably should have qualified that. The fact of the matter is that if you're unwilling to move, you're going to have a much harder time finding employment in general in most industries.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

skipdogg posted:

Systems Engineer/Systems Administrator are used pretty interchangeably. I'm not a fan of the Engineer title unless one actually holds an engineering degree.

GlassDoor is a great resource if the company is large enough to have enough data put into it.

I think that's one of the problems with the lack of standardized titles in the industry. A systems engineer should be planning deployments and doing integration (same thing goes with a network engineer) rather than server janitoring full time.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Sab669 posted:

Well this is moderately embarassing; I hear Epic and think this Epic

Disappointing, I know.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

My last company started you out with 17, which was pretty rad, and you hit 27 after 5 years or something.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Fugue Stater posted:

Sorry if I missed something obvious, but is there a megathread about getting into the software industry? Can't seem to find one in this forum or its subforums. I've been learning programming on the side, and would love to see how others have gone about breaking into the field, especially in a career change context (i.e. the not having an actual degree context).

It's a sticky in CoC.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I'm in contact with quite a few TekSystems recruiters. They seem to throw pretty decent stuff at me, but I've just never been at the right point to take any of it.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Pudgygiant posted:

Any of yall have a CCNP, secret or higher clearance, and want to go to Afghanistan to make gently caress you money for a couple years?

How much gently caress you money are we talking about here?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Sepist posted:

350k overseas for a while.

This is apparently no longer the case.

psydude fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Feb 10, 2014

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Any idea about the infrastructure team? And how is the pay compared to the rest of the area?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Kallikrates posted:

Pay for the area is "market" for non cleared work from what I gather.
What that means is that if you have a high government clearance and work on some high value contract we might not be-able to match salary wise. But probably more than any local startup.

Well, I applied for the network engineer position even though I wouldn't consider myself "senior." Honest question: do you think the Post is going to be able to effectively capitalize on the shift to mobile platforms?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

There's usually some good positions on here (and I got my first post-college job from this thread!) so here goes again!

My experience: 8 total years in IT, 4 years in networking with one year in a network engineer/security position and another in a network/systems admin position, 1 year in project management

What I'm looking for: A more advanced network engineering role, particularly in a consulting, datacenter, or wireless environment; am interested in management or systems engineer positions (as they relate to networking) too.

Where I'm looking: Currently looking mainly in the DC/NOVA/Baltimore and Seattle areas, but I'm not really tied down anywhere

Where I live: Technically Arlington, VA, but I was uprooted to go overseas so I can really pack up and move anywhere in a week or two

When I can start: Mid September

What are my requirements: FTE, but otherwise I'm flexible

Can be reached via: PM

psydude fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Aug 4, 2014

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Job Opening

Who: SRA International

About us: Moderately sized government contractor.

Location: Mostly in Washington, DC metro area; however there's opportunities nationally and worldwide.

What: Everything IT and development related. A lot of positions require that you either obtain or currently have a security clearance, but not all of them.

Specifically, the company is putting an emphasis on the following:

Software Engineer - Full Scope Polygraph
Clearance: TS/SCI w/ full scope polygraph
Job Description:
C, C++ and/or JAVA Software Engineers with experience and skills as outlined below. Fort Meade area. Previous SIGINT experience is highly desireable. Available positions cover all levels of experience from junior through senior. Desired skills of interest include some or all of the following:

- Experience as a Software Engineer in software development/engineering, including requirements analysis, software development, installation, integration, evaluation, enhancement, maintenance, testing, and problem diagnosis/resolution.
- Experience developing software using the Java, C and/or C++ programming languages.
- Experience developing software under UNIX/Linux (Redhat versions 3-5) operating systems.
- Experience on the design and development of at least one Object Oriented system.
- Have a firm grasp of modern computer programming with experience in programming and development of application software for complex systems and software testing.
- Experience developing solutions integrating and extending FOSS/COTS products.
- Demonstrated technical writing skills and have generated technical documents in support of a software development project.
- Experience developing in an Agile environment

Solution Architect

Summary: The Solution Architect works within the Strategic Solutions team within Corporate Growth (Marketing and Sales). The primary mission of our organization is to partner with the Group business teams to shape the development of differentiated and executable solutions that improve SRA’s win probability for all strategic (generally >$50M) pursuits.

Job Description:
Works with proposal/capture manager to provide technical volume leadership for large capture and proposal efforts to secure new or re-compete contracts, or task order business. Provides technical solution leadership during the development of complex proposals and serves as a technical volume or section lead author to create a compelling proposal response. Engaged in large (>$50 M), strategic, and complex proposal efforts, including solution-oriented proposals; Leads teams in developing capture strategy and proposal responses including business and technical solutions for opportunities; Ensures the integration of business elements into the solution and the proposal; interacts with teammates in developing capture/proposal strategies and solutions; identifies potential customers, competitive assessments, teaming suppliers, and prices-to-win; participates in bid and proposal activities. Coaches and develops other technical staff and authors during proposal development efforts; Serves as a leader in discussions and negotiations with customers; Uses best practices and knowledge of internal or external business issues to improve products or services. Solves complex problems; takes a new perspective using existing solutions. Acts as a resource for colleagues with less experience; may direct the work of other staff members. Supports staff development through career mentoring and skill training. Serves as an advisor to less experienced solution architects during capture and proposal activities.

In this role, you will:
- Design and develop IT architecture (integrated process, applications, data and technology) solutions to business problems in alignment with the enterprise architecture direction and standards. Responsible for technical planning, architecture development and modification of specifications.
- Support capture and proposal efforts to secure new or re-compete contracts, or task order business. Assists in developing capture strategy including business and technical solution for pursuit of opportunities; identifies potential customers, competitive assessments, teaming suppliers, and prices-to-win; participates in bid and proposal activities.
- Develop resource, time estimates and project schedules for assigned tasks. Monitor the progress of assigned tasks. Coordinate software development activities to ensure timely delivery of services with high quality. Provide status updates to team, management, client and other project stakeholders on an ongoing basis.
- Mentor personnel assigned to varying projects.

The Major Objectives of this job include:
1) Support pre-RFP technical solutioning to uniquely position SRA in our field of competitors
2) Lead proposal solution development for a volume or section, including theming, alignment and writing to establish a clear and compelling case for SRA
3) Develop cost-competitive, strategic solutions that highlight SRA’s differentiated capabilities, innovation and experience and are executable upon award

The biggest challenge is communicating (largely through writing and graphics) clearly differentiated solutions that set SRA apart. This environment is challenging but extremely rewarding. The pace of engagment can be unpredictable (at the whim of federal procurements) however this team will have maximum flexibility between proposal engagements.

The best employees are good writers who are comfortable leading technical teams in a "best idea wins" environment. They understand how to identify customer mission drivers and then identify creative technical solutions that solve them.
Required: Degree Bachelors
Required: Basic Qualifications - 10+ years of related experience
- Demonstrated expertise with proposal writing, including ability to lead technical volumes and sections
- Expert and nuanced communication ability in a small team-lead role
- Capable of providing solution leadership across complex and multifaceted solutions -with core experience in either software or infrastructure solutions (or both)
- Ability to partner with stakeholders and lead/mentor other senior professionals with diverse experience and skill sets
- Expertise developing technical solutions for proposals (including developing outlines) and leading storyboarding
- Ability to develop a basis of estimate and support competitive pricing for a variety of solutions
- Experience supporting proposal development for Federal Government agencies and clients
- Experience as a technical lead or in another small-team execution lead role

Sr. Mid-Tier/ Web Logic System Administrator

Required Responsibilities
--------------------------
• Acts as technical lead and provides direction on technical support work related to ERP application processes.
• Performs installation, monitoring, performance management and troubleshooting tasks, is responsible for the planning and implementation of special projects such as application servers, portal, single sign on, identity managers, and other solution components.
• Responsible for hardware sizing and third party product integration. Develops Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) and other technical documentation for production support activities.
• Possesses intimate knowledge of Oracle Fusion Middleware products including, Oracle WebLogic Server and Oracle HTTP Server, and Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition.
• Demonstrates a basic understanding of the Oracle Database and how to troubleshoots communication issues between Oracle Fusion Middleware and the database.
• Possesses experience with project scheduling and agile project management methodology.
• Able to work with other teams and subject matter experts to investigate and resolve issues.
• Demonstrates experience with troubleshooting issues using Oracle Enterprise Manager Grid Control

SOA Architect/Developer

Job Description:

This individual will primarily be responsible for developing, enhancing, communicating and implementing web services and J2EE system enhancements for the JABS project. This individual will be expected to take requirements and/or specifications and translate them into UML design diagrams, and then implement them through either J2EE code or using the Oracle SOA Suite toolset.

The developer will fulfill Software Change Requests affecting functionality in the core systems or supporting 3-tier applications. Identify technical risks and develop mitigation strategies. Develop unit test code with jUnit and similar nUnit libraries. Implement functional changes with the Java programming language and support integration and acceptance testing. The individual will also support changes through the creation of system documentation and UML diagrams.

Contact: PM me with the requisition number or one of the job titles listed above before you apply and I can put you in the referral queue. HR uses a separate applicant system for referrals, so I'll need to manually submit you myself.

Additional stuff: Full disclosure: I get a referral bonus for most positions, but not all of them. Either way, qualified candidates can bypass the keyword algorithms and speak with a recruiter within a couple of days of resume submission. This company has pretty decent benefits for a government contractor: incredibly cheap PPO, 3 weeks PTO, $6250/yr in tution reimbursement, certification reimbursement, maternity/paternity leave, free LT/SD disability and life insurance, 401k with 50% match up to 6%. Pretty flexible telecommuting policy as well.

psydude fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Oct 3, 2014

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I just got a blast for a good opportunity for a mid-career Security Engineer who wants to do 100% WFH. See my post on this same page for more information about the company itself. Send me a PM if you're interested and I'll submit you through our internal referral system.

Cyber Security Engineer

Group (WD): Health & Civil
Telecommuting Options: Telecommuting Allowed Full-Time
Position Work Location (WD): VA - HOME (VAHOME)
US Citizenship Required: Yes
Clearance Required: No

Daily Responsibilities:
Cyber Security Engineer responsible for providing operational and maintenance Information Assurance (IA) support on the Corporation for National & Community Services (CNCS) contract. Performs a wide variety of security engineering tasks to ensure an acceptable level of security is maintained for CNCS IT systems. Detects, assesses and reports network vulnerabilities using McAfee Vulnerability Manager. Uses Splunk to provide enterprise event logging and monitoring. Conducts incident/event investigation and analysis. Utilizes scanning products to validate and identify the system's security posture and network port status. Familiar with tools such as Nessus and Nmap to scan ports and identify vulnerabilities on the Production network. Practical experience with FISMA, NIST 800 series (Civil Government) required. Participates in the security engineering, validation testing of system configuration/hardening. Provides technical security support to Operations team. Supports security posture assessments. Maintains awareness of cyber trends, threats, and vulnerabilities. Develops, integrates and maintains security toolsets. Provides input to incident response functions when appropriate and coordinates activities with site personnel when directed by the client organization. Supports Information Assurance asset deployments, upgrades, and maintenance including servers, databases, network assets, and wireless LAN security. Recommends technological and architectural upgrades/modifications to client's Information Systems Security architecture. Performs Security Impact Analyses when required. Develops policies and procedures to ensure information systems reliability and accessibility and to prevent and defend against unauthorized access to systems, networks, and data. Conducts risk and vulnerability assessments of planned and installed information systems to identify vulnerabilities, risks, and protection needs. Conducts systems security evaluations, audits, and reviews. Participates in network and systems design to ensure implementation of appropriate systems security policies. Ensures the rigorous application of information security/information assurance policies, principles, and practices in the delivery of all IT services.

Required: Degree: Bachelors
Required: Work Experience: 3-6 Years
Required: Responsibilities:
Detects, assesses and reports network vulnerabilities using McAfee Vulnerability Manager (MVM).
Uses Splunk to provide enterprise event logging and monitoring.
Conducts incident/event investigation and analysis.
Utilizes scanning products to validate and identify the system's security posture and network port status.
Familiar with tools such as Nessus and Nmap to scan ports and identify vulnerabilities on the Production network.

Desired: Skills Presentation skills. Experience with Nessus and Nmap.
Desired: Education: B.A.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

We need a mid-senior level UC delivery engineer/consultant in the DC area.

Who we are: Full service, smallish VAR and IT consulting firm dealing in all market segments

What we're looking for:
The job posting lays out some numbers and poo poo, but basically you'll want 5 years of UC experience, specifically with Cisco's offerings, and a CCVP/CCNP: Voice with a solid understanding of standard routing and switching. We're a gold partner, so for better or worse your certs do matter. If you're interested, PM me and I'll send you the official job description so you can tailor your resume to make it past the HR guys (although TBH if you're good I'll send it straight over to the hiring manager). You'll also need to be able to get a security clearance, so just keep that in mind.

Biggest thing is that you'll need people skills. You'll be a delivery engineer that will also be doing a lot of consulting, so dealing with difficult customers will be a regular occurrence. Self-management is also a big one - you'll be expected to manage your time yourself with your PM, so communication is also important. As I mentioned earlier, generalized and holistic networking and IT knowledge will be critical as well. Expect to spend a good bit of your time on customer sites; expect local and regional travel weekly and domestic travel 2-3 times a year.

This is a good opportunity for someone who has spent time in operations and is looking to get into consulting, or to escape the hellscape that is government contracting.

The Good:
Very laid-back environment with a great group of people. All of the engineers, both presales and delivery, help one another out and are always willing to provide advice or assist with any questions you have if you're outside of your wheelhouse. Good opportunity to work with industry-leading technology in just about every situation imaginable. If you like attacking challenges and get a kick out of working with different people in different environments and solving lots of unique problems, you'll enjoy this position. Biggest thing for me is that I basically make my own schedule and have a great deal of independence as to how I handle my projects.

The company hosts lots of social events and is pretty generous at all of them. Of course, since you'll be in delivery you'll end up missing out on a lot of it just due to the nature of the position.

The Bad:
You'll be a consultant, so customers are hiring you to fulfill their sick and twisted IT fantasies. It's your job to talk them down from the clouds and convince them to do it the correct way. Even then, you may be forced to tackle some design challenges that make you want to bang your head against the wall. If you like knowing every aspect of your environment and can't stand surprises, you'll hate this position and consulting in general.

The schedule is also non-standard. While it's pretty rare you'll work more than 40 hours per week, you'll get roped into customer maintenance windows pretty regularly. Finally, although there's plenty of opportunities for training and certifications, we run pretty lean on personnel, so all of that takes a backseat to customer needs.

Benefits:
This company compensates pretty damned well, and it's definitely a seller's market for talent. Health insurance is good (high deductible PPO), HSA, 401k is decent (50% match), 3 weeks of PTO (but they're good about WFH and family engagements, so if you or your kids are sick then it's not like you're burning up your PTO).

There's also certification reimbursements (you can fail twice and they'll still cover the costs) and a cellphone reimbursement, as well as tuition assistance.

They're getting fairly desperate for someone, so paid relocation may be in the cards (not sure). PM me for details or for a link to the job description.

psydude fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jul 17, 2015

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

We're working on putting together a req for another Security Engineer, which we desperately need. See this post for particulars about the company/team in general.

Position
Network Security Engineer/Consultant

Requirements
-Solid foundation in Cisco R&S
-Experience with ASA, Sourcefire, ISE, Palo Alto, or Splunk (general knowledge of all of them would be great, but we'd probably settle for expertise in one or two)
-CCNP of some sort (We're a Cisco partner, so it does matter), or ability to obtain one super fast
-Security+, CISSP, GIAC, etc. (Something else to put on your resume to impress customers during proposal bidding)
-People skills
-Bonus for scripting, programming, auditing, or penetration testing skills, but these aren't really necessary
-Ability to obtain a security clearance

Additional Information
You'd be working as a security engineer and consultant doing everything from hardware installation, to network design, to security assessments. Local and regional travel is fairly common (weekly), and you can expect domestic travel 2-3 times per year. The flip side to that is that your schedule is incredibly flexible: work from home as much or as little as you want as long as the work is getting done. The security team consists of me and 2 other guys, both of whom are awesome to work with. You'll also occasionally be thrown on traditional route and switch projects as the case may be, and there are opportunities to work in the other communities of practice (wireless, voice, etc.) to broaden your skillset.

Customers include everybody from nonprofits, to traditional commercial customers, to state and local governments, to three letter agencies. You'll see the full spectrum of competence and incompetence in IT in this job, so dealing with the people can be just as difficult as dealing with the solution itself. Consulting being what it is, you have to be comfortable with starting almost every project knowing nothing about the environment you'll be working in. With that being said, it's a great opportunity to learn (I've learned more in my 6 months here than I have in probably the last 4 years of working in IT) and tackle some challenging problems.

I put additional information about the company in the post linked at the top of this one, so click on that for more info. Feel free to PM me with any other questions ranging from quality of life to culture.

Compensation, etc
Again, check the link at the top for a full list. The pay is very competitive, and the rest of the benefits are good.

PM me if you're interested.

psydude fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Aug 31, 2015

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

psydude posted:

We're working on putting together a req for another Security Engineer, which we desperately need. See this post for particulars about the company/team in general.

Position
Network Security Engineer/Consultant

Requirements
-Solid foundation in Cisco R&S
-Experience with ASA, Sourcefire, ISE, Palo Alto, or Splunk (general knowledge of all of them would be great, but we'd probably settle for expertise in one or two)
-CCNP of some sort (We're a Cisco partner, so it does matter), or ability to obtain one super fast
-Security+, CISSP, GIAC, etc. (Something else to put on your resume to impress customers during proposal bidding)
-People skills
-Bonus for scripting, programming, auditing, or penetration testing skills, but these aren't really necessary
-Ability to obtain a security clearance

Additional Information
You'd be working as a security engineer and consultant doing everything from hardware installation, to network design, to security assessments. Local and regional travel is fairly common (weekly), and you can expect domestic travel 2-3 times per year. The flip side to that is that your schedule is incredibly flexible: work from home as much or as little as you want as long as the work is getting done. The security team consists of me and 2 other guys, both of whom are awesome to work with. You'll also occasionally be thrown on traditional route and switch projects as the case may be, and there are opportunities to work in the other communities of practice (wireless, voice, etc.) to broaden your skillset.

Customers include everybody from nonprofits, to traditional commercial customers, to state and local governments, to three letter agencies. You'll see the full spectrum of competence and incompetence in IT in this job, so dealing with the people can be just as difficult as dealing with the solution itself. Consulting being what it is, you have to be comfortable with starting almost every project knowing nothing about the environment you'll be working in. With that being said, it's a great opportunity to learn (I've learned more in my 6 months here than I have in probably the last 4 years of working in IT) and tackle some challenging problems.

I put additional information about the company in the post linked at the top of this one, so click on that for more info. Feel free to PM me with any other questions ranging from quality of life to culture.

Compensation, etc
Again, check the link at the top for a full list. The pay is very competitive, and the rest of the benefits are good.

PM me if you're interested.

Reposting because we finally got the req approved. PM me for more info.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

If you're down to relocate to MD/VA (I know you said you're considering it), I might have a position for you.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Walked posted:

JOB SEEKER

Education: Work experience primarily, with specific classes along the way

Experience: About 10 years now in IT; ranging from datacenter tech initially, to IT Operations lead presently. I'm in a contract position with some inklings that my present contract may or may not have legs going forward; having already gotten 5 years on a contract is pretty solid as it stands. I've primarily dealt with IT Infrastructure from a Windows / AD environment, been through many NIST audits and accreditations, and manages all the moving parts from start to finish. I'm also pretty well versed in SCCM, as well as PowerShell, and some C# (and have contributed small pieces of code to our production application, though not my primary duty).

I hold an MCDST (lol), MCSA 2012, and Security+. I dont mind certifications being a condition of employment; thats why I have what I have generally.

What I'm looking for: Either moving into the security side of things moreso or DevOps / Infrastructure as Code. I'm open as long as it's technically interesting, gives me a chance to learn new things, and has some semblance of a work life balanace.

What I'm NOT looking for: Software development or helpdesk.

Where I live: Baltimore / DC area (Annapolis)

Where am I looking: Baltimore / DC area

Requirements: Full time, reasonable benefits, and commesurate salary.

Contact Info: PM or setash at gmail

Open to doing consulting?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

JOB POSTING

Looking for 1-2 network security engineers to join a consulting team providing professional services.

Who are we?
A small VAR and consulting firm located in the DC area focusing predominately on federal customers.

Where are we?
Headquarters is located near Annapolis, but we also have a satellite office located in Herndon. We're very lenient on working from home once you've established yourself as someone that can manage their time.

When
Now.

Remote
Mmmmaayyyyybe. Like I said, we have a good work from home policy. Most (but far from all) of our customers are in the Baltimore/DC area so you'd want to be within a reasonable commute.

Relocation
No idea. Gonna say no, but that's a discussion to be had with my boss.

Job Description
We're looking for 1-2 Jr-Mid to Senior level security engineers to join our consulting practice. Most of what you do will be professional services (installation/upgrading of equipment) for Cisco and Palo Alto firewalls, IPSs, IDSs, and NAC solutions; however, we also do security assessments (soft-core penetration tests) and general consulting for customers. Specifically, we'd ask that you have experience with 2-3 of the technologies/focus areas below:

-Cisco firewalls (including FirePOWER)
-Palo Alto Firewalls (wildfire and panorama a plus)
-Cisco catalyst and Nexus switches
-Cisco routers
-Cisco ISE
-Splunk
-General security operations
-Linux
-F5 load balancers and WAFs

Other Required Stuff:
-Some sort of CCNP (or ability to get it within 90 days. Sorry, we're a partner. You need to have it.)
-Security+, CISSP, or other random security cert for compliance with DoD 8750.1
-Neat stuff like OSCP or PCNSE certainly helps, especially if you don't have your CCNP

This position is entirely client facing. Being able to meet with and brief both technical and management (including C-level) personnel is critical, as is the ability to work with difficult people. We work on multiple projects for multiple customers simultaneously, so the ability to project and manage your own time is important. Although scopes and BOMs are typically developed by the pre-sales engineering team, you also have a good amount of leeway with regards to how you design and deploy the network, so if you really enjoy the design aspect of things then you'll like this. You'll be required to obtain at least a Top Secret Clearance, but there's a high degree of probability that you'll also need SCI eligibility. CI and full-scope polygraphs also show up as a requirement every now and then. If you already have all of that, great. If not, they'll get it for you.

Travel is about 50-80%. Of that, 75% is local/regional (get a satellite radio or books on tape subscription), with the last 25% being national/international. Projects requiring you to travel nationally or internationally may have you spending upwards of 2-3 weeks on site, so it's a good way to rack up airline and hotel elite status.

What else?
Standard benefits - HMO, PPO, HSA, 401k with match, 3.5 weeks of PTO to start

They also reimburse your cell phone up to $110 a month and give you $200 for a new phone every two years.

Compensation: Depends on qualifications and good old fashioned negotiations. If this ain't your first rodeo, don't settle for less than six figures.

PM me for more details if you're interested.

psydude fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Nov 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Tab8715 posted:

Job Seeker

Education - Self-taught. Some college with a degree in political science but did not graduate.

Experience - Presently a generic Azure IaaS and Azure AD Consult but overall I've been in IT for over a decade from basic help desk, managing hundreds of VMs or prickly internal applications.

I'm also able to do things the come along it such as basic to intermediate experience with Windows Server (AD, ADFS, Hyper-V etc.) VMware and HP/IBM/Lenovo Hardware. I can even push it a little further with some AS/400 or IBMi Administration, Linux and SharePoint.

And basic bash, batch and Powershell Scripting.

What I'm not looking for - Any position where I have to "look" busy or Helldesk. Would prefer to perform work in production environments and not just sell or demo products.

Where I'm looking - LA, San Fran, Portland, Minneapolis, San Antonio, New Jersey or basically big metro areas with things to do.

When can I start - After August. I enjoy my current position but I'm testing the waters for the future.

Requirements - Market rate with good benefits specifically health insurance. Open to travel.

Check your PMs.