Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Senso posted:

Anybody willing to relocate to the Cayman Islands? We're looking for a senior backend dev, 5+ years of experience, proficient in Python/Perl/PHP (but mostly Python), Linux, XML, RabbitMQ, Redis, etc.
Tiny tropical paradise island, good pay, on-site chef, no income tax. We're a domain name registrar.

gently caress I would do that in a heartbeat if I knew ANY of that poo poo :(

You sure you don't need a sys admin/jr network admin instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Analytic Engine posted:

Is anyone looking to hire a programmer in Nashville? Flexible on front-end or back-end.

there might be some openings with bridgestone, they're my client, I don't have listings or anything, but I would try to check them out.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Looking for a new job, need to get out of MSP hell.

Job Seeker

My experience: Been at an MSP for 7-8 years now
2 years in hell desk
1 year doing QA/project stuff for a WFM rollout (30000+ users all over the lower 48)
4-5 years of network/sys admin (Fortigate Firewalls, Cisco routers/switches, hyper-v and ESXi, server 2008-2012r2, some light SQL, powershell, dell SANs, and a little Azure for DR/BC) basically I've touched a bit of everything, I've been more network focused recently, but servers are my bread and butter still.

What I'm looking for: Network/Systems Admin work
I wouldn't mind making a jump into cloud services, I learn quickly but just haven't had the time (thanks wedding planning and insane work hours) to jump into AWS free tier and learn yet, but we also do some stuff in Azure currently.

What I'm NOT looking for: Helpdesk, pure support work, or QA; also I'm not keen on contract work that's less than a year.

Where I live: Chicago, IL

Where I'm looking: Chicago or remote, part of my goal is to cut my commute down or make it public transit only.

When can I start: 3 weeks from acceptance/contract

Requirements: Health Insurance, good PTO and FTE* (if contract >= 12 months, boat money so I can afford insurance)

MF_James fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jul 10, 2018

MF_James
May 8, 2008

MF_James posted:

Looking for a new job, need to get out of MSP hell.

Job Seeker

My experience: Been at an MSP for 7-8 years now
2 years in hell desk
1 year doing QA/project stuff for a WFM rollout (30000+ users all over the lower 48)
4-5 years of network/sys admin (Fortigate Firewalls, Cisco routers/switches, hyper-v and ESXi, server 2008-2012r2, some light SQL, powershell, dell SANs, and a little Azure for DR/BC) basically I've touched a bit of everything, I've been more network focused recently, but servers are my bread and butter still.

What I'm looking for: Network/Systems Admin work
I wouldn't mind making a jump into cloud services, I learn quickly but just haven't had the time (thanks wedding planning and insane work hours) to jump into AWS free tier and learn yet, but we also do some stuff in Azure currently.

What I'm NOT looking for: Helpdesk, pure support work, or QA; also I'm not keen on contract work that's less than a year.

Where I live: Chicago, IL

Where I'm looking: Chicago or remote, suburbs MIGHT be possible if the job is right, part of my goal is to cut my commute down or make it public transit only.

When can I start: 3 weeks from acceptance/contract

Requirements: Health Insurance, good PTO and FTE* (if contract >= 12 months, boat money so I can afford insurance)

Bumping since I'm back to looking, now that I'm not planning a destination wedding and am in fact married.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

KillHour posted:

Who we are: Up and coming player in the entertainment industry, with yearly sales of 10,000+ kilos.

Where we're located: Miami

What we're looking for: Sales, marketing, security. Must be able to pass a background check and entrance exam. Military or law enforcement experience highly desired. Must be willing to sign a non-compete. Pay is commission based.

This sure as hell sounds like a drug smuggling operation to me.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

Whoa whoa whoa, let’s not jump to conclusions here.

Subjunctive posted:

Whoa whoa whoa, let’s not jump to conclusions here.

Guess I should wake up before posting because :thejoke: went right over my head...

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Job Seeker

My experience: 9ish years IT Ops; helpdesk, QA lead, sys admin/network admin, systems/network engineer.

What I'm looking for: Systems Engineer; really looking to bridge the gap into senior engineer/architect role for mid to large sized company

What I'm NOT looking for: Helpdesk/desktop and other 100% support roles

Where I live: Chicago IL

Where I'm looking: Chicago/near subs or 100% remote roles, preferably remote for now in Chicago even

When I can start: I'd prefer to give 3-4 weeks notice at my job and maybe take a week off, so 4-5 weeks from acceptance (obviously if the need is quicker, then so be it, I can dump my week off, still prefer to give current job 3 weeks as I have to transfer a lot of knowledge)

Requirements: FT, healthcare, 401k match, good vacation etc. Option for remote work is obviously a huge bonus.

Can be reached via: forums PM

MF_James fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jun 25, 2020

MF_James
May 8, 2008

my cat is norris posted:

80k - 85k to start. Pay increases are on a yearly basis.

Doah I'd totally want to apply if that was 30-40k more....

My brother is a PM and might be interested in changing jobs depending on the range of the position.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Job Posting

Who we are Sharp Business Systems (formerly ZLAN Partners, bought by Sharp around 2 years ago to bolster and improve their MSP business). We are an MSP primarily dealing with Windows, some networking and then random other things that clients will pay for.
Where we are Our office is in Downers Grove Illinois, most of our clients are within a 50-75mi radius (honestly 50% of them are in Chicago proper), though some are farther, generally if it's another state we do remote only or possibly 1-2 days of travel, i.e. I have one client that opens new stores every month or so on the east coast and I travel for 1-2 days to set them up every other month, switching off with my manager, though with COVID things have slowed down.

Job title Senior Systems Engineer (I think the actual internal title is MNS, Managed Network Services, Engineer or something equally foolish)
What Sharp wants Being an MSP, for non-technical things, they want someone that can deal with being in a fast-paced environment, personable, organized, and detail oriented. From a technical perspective we need someone that has a solid handle on all aspects of Windows Server 2012/2016/2019, so AD, DNS, DHCP, file services, permissions, IIS etc etc etc basically if it's a feature we need you to know it. Networking knowledge is extremely helpful but not necessarily required, we do implement a fair amount of firewalls/switches etc but a lot of implementations are very simple since they are small businesses, most older firewall implementations are going to be Cisco ASAs and most newer ones will be SonicWALLs of some flavor and switching is kind of all over the place. There will also be SANs at some clients so experience working with them is a bonus (mostly HP/Dell out there I haven't seen any others). Basically you are going to touch anything and everything, but won't be expected to know everything out of the gate. We are doing a fair amount of Azure migrations (on-prem to Azure) so if you've got experience that's definitely a bonus. Most of our clients are using O365 so any experience there is also good. MCSE/Azure/O365 certs are especially useful but I had none coming in.

Why you want to work here The pay is pretty good and the benefits are top notch since the Sharp buyout. If you're in a junior/mid-level position this could be a good jump where you will gain a lot of experience doing all sorts of migrations, some firewall/switch experience and just generally rounding out knowledge. There is a bonus system in place that can definitely make you a decent mount extra. You will not be micromanaged (provided you show that you are trust worthy). You will basically never go into the office (I live in Chicago and it's a 45 minute drive to the office). Management will have your back provided you aren't a lying weasel, so if a client is a jerk or tries to throw you under the bus they will lean towards believing you until you prove otherwise. Sometimes you get a golden ticket to really unfuck a client and are given a sizeable budget to make it happen, then you get to build/configure/implement a whole new environment and it's fun and works well.

Why you wouldn't want to work here It's an MSP, so they will try to over work you (the bonus system plays into this). You will be expected to be onsite at clients pretty much every day of the week, once you've gotten clients and projects assigned, and some clients can be far (they do TRY to take into account where you live when assigning clients but that can't always happen). There will be lovely clients you have to deal with that don't want to spend money but want things to run perfectly etc. There's some annoying process stuff especially now that Sharp has really pushed for integration. Training on internal process stuff was kind of crap when I started so that was annoying to be told I did a thing wrong when I didn't know they had specific way to do thing. You WILL be expected to help sell services/things to your assigned clients and keep fairly consistent communication with them, so that can be annoying especially with clients that don't want to pay for things but want everything to be awesome.

Salary Obviously based on experience/certs, if you don't have an MCSE they will write into your contract if you get it by X date you will get a pay raise (at least they did for me). Rough pay scale is 85k-105k, you can also possibly get more, a friend of mine just took a position at another company for 125k and they were willing to match that, so, yeah negotiate.

PM if interested.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Job Seeker

My experience: 9ish years IT Ops at MSPs; helpdesk, QA lead, sys admin/network admin, senior sys/network admin, systems/network engineer(2y); server stuff is all windows though I have (rudimentary) knowledge of linux, network wise I've mostly dealt with Cisco/Fortinet/SonicWALL for firewalls/routers, switches I've touched basically every major vendor except Juniper. Have an MCSE 2016, ITILv4(lol), expired Fortinet NSE4-5.4, expired SonicWALL Network Security Basic Admin cert

What I'm looking for: senior/mid-level Systems/Network Engineer or, possibly, Senior sysadmin; really looking to bridge the gap into senior engineer/architect role for mid to large sized company

What I'm NOT looking for: MSP anything, Helpdesk/desktop and other 100% support roles

Where I live: Chicago IL

Where I'm looking: Chicago/near subs or 100% remote roles, preferably remote for now in Chicago even

When I can start: I'd prefer to give 3-4 weeks notice at my job, so 3-5 weeks from acceptance (obviously if the need is quicker, then so be it, I can dump my week off, still prefer to give current job 3 weeks as I have to transfer a lot of knowledge)

Requirements: FTE/maybeCTH, healthcare, 401k match, good vacation etc. Option for remote work is obviously a huge bonus.

Can be reached via: forums PM

MF_James
May 8, 2008

DigitalMocking posted:

Hi all, I have a position opening for a Systems Engineer II on my operations squad available at Columbia Sportswear. If you have any questions for me about the position, or know someone who may be interested, please reach out.

https://bit.ly/3rHrEFX

Our corporate HQ is in Portland OR, this position is available for hybrid in office(Portland), local remote (Portland) or full-time remote work in all US states except for: Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Iowa, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia.

Pay range is $82k - $98k DOE

Relocation assistance is not available.

Applied!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Got a job.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jun 6, 2023