Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

bort posted:

I use the OSI model as a mental construct for troubleshooting every day (and I think coyo7e is trolling you). That said, I don't think a CEO is going to ask you nitty gritty tech questions. He probably wants to know who you are, what you can do, if you're worth the money and if you'll make a good impression on his clients. This is a good thread for interviewers: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2000929

Same here. I use the OSI model all the time as my troubleshooting method.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

JOB POSTING

Quicken Loans: We're looking for IT Project Managers

Who are we?
We’re the #1 online lender in America, closing loans in all 50 states, and we’ve grown to be one of the largest full-service residential mortgage lenders in the country. For five years in a row now, J.D. Power has ranked Quicken Loans highest in the nation in customer satisfaction for Primary Mortgage Origination. We were also ranked highest in the nation for customer satisfaction among mortgage servicers the last two years, the first years we were eligible. There’s a simple reason we’ve been so successful: We care about the people we work with.

If you’re tired of stuffy, bureaucratic workplaces, then you’ll be delighted to find something different. We strive to make a creative, fun and collaborative environment you simply won’t find anywhere else. We've been on Computerworld's "Best Places to Work in IT" list for 11 years running, hitting #1 the last three years, and we’ve been named to Fortune magazine’s list of "100 Best Companies to Work For" for the past 12 years, ranking as high as #2.

Where are we?
Detroit, MI

When
ASAP

Relocation
Yes, potentially based on experience

Job Description

Responsibilities
-Formulate and define project scope and objectives based on team member needs and a good understanding of applicable business systems and industry requirements
-Identify resources needed and work with technology leaders to distribute work
-Analyze business and user needs, then document requirements
-Set and manage client expectations
-Manage basic project phases, coordinate and drive communication, facilitate decisions and follow through on project execution
-Facilitate regular client and project team meetings
-Maintain a solid understanding of the mortgage and technology industries
-Keep business units and stakeholders informed of progress and changes through written or verbal communication and minimize our exposure and risk on a project
-Effectively apply our project management methodology and project standards and help develop best practices and tools for project execution

Requirements
-One year of mortgage experience or project management experience in an IT environment
-Ability to assess problems and solve them with a strong sense of urgency
-Analytical and creative thinker
-Client-oriented approach for both internal and external clients
-Ability to motivate teams to work together in the most efficient manner
-Flexibility during times of change
-Ability to communicate with all levels of the organization and tactfully deliver sensitive or difficult information
-Good technical understanding of assigned projects and how they impact the business
-Ability to handle aggressive deadlines and juggle multiple responsibilities
-Experience with MS Project, Confluence or similar applications, TFS or similar applications required

Contact: PM me - Vyst or you can email jtwortley at g mail dot com - please include resume

vyst fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Dec 5, 2016

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Rex-Goliath posted:

Because this is the thread for people who are good with computers

Goon hacker rank.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Oyster posted:

Job Seeker

Education: A+, Net+, Sec+, CCENT, intending on acquiring the CCNA by the end of this month

My Experience: Lots of labs, 3 years customer service-oriented I.T., 4 years hardware troubleshooting, 3 years A.D. and LDAP experience.

What I'm looking for: Junior net/sys admin, desktop support

What I'm NOT looking for: Tier 1 hell desk. I'd take it but ideally only as a springboard into something bigger.

Where I'm looking: Olympia, WA, Portland, OR, Grand Rapids, MI, Ann Arbor, MI, Denver, CO, Indianapolis, IN, Minneapolis, MN

Where I am located presently: Grand Rapids, MI

When I can start: Two weeks after acceptance

Requirements: Full time, health benefits, market salary.

If you're willing to relo to Detroit, Quicken Loans is hiring a ton of roles around your skillset

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

xsf421 posted:

We (QL) have an entry level sysadmin role open right now, but it's thur-sun overnights. Pay is around 60k + benefits. Send me a PM or username@gmail if you're interested.

Sup fellow QL goon!

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

KillHour posted:

Who we are: Up and coming player in the entertainment industry, with yearly sales of 10,000+ kilos.

Where we're located: Miami

What we're looking for: Sales, marketing, security. Must be able to pass a background check and entrance exam. Military or law enforcement experience highly desired. Must be willing to sign a non-compete. Pay is commission based.

I'm in if the entrance exam isn't simulation based. Fool me once CISCO!!!!

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I have a master's in Gambit

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

NuclearEagleFox!!! posted:

Job Seeker

My experience: BS in CS, 3 summer internships, 2+ years of full-time dev experience

Languages: C, Java, Python, familiar with SQL

Things I like to do: Desktop applications, systems software, embedded systems (depending), scientific computing, environmental projects

What I'm looking for: Software development, programming, engineering (whatever your company calls it)

What I'm NOT looking for: Sysadmin, devops, testing

Where I live: Southeast Michigan

Where I'm looking: Remote, Detroit Metro/SE MI

When I can start: In a few weeks

Requirements: Full time, permanent, benefits

Can be reached via: PM, username@gmail.com

Have you looked into Quicken Loans? They are usually always hiring developers.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

xsf421 posted:

There's a few of us around if you have questions, we're mostly looking for C#/java with cloud experience.

I used to work there :smugdog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

NuclearEagleFox!!! posted:

I know a few past and present QL bankers. Generally seems to be a lot of pressure, a lot of stress, and a lot of hours. What's it like on the software side?

Why'd you leave?

Didn't like Michigan. Well, rather the wife didn't like it. I liked it enough.

I actually really enjoyed working there and the people. They underpay, but the benefits are pretty darn good.

Technology side is your typical agile software development shop. If you can deal with the same corporate waterfall bs at every company but attempted to be shoved into an agile flavored package, you'll be good. The stress usually comes closer to big product launches (Rocket Mortgage, etc) but for the most part everyone works in sprints like you'd see at most software development shops.

vyst fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jul 30, 2020